• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 8,676 Views, 691 Comments

Shouldn't Be - Lumadous



When Sgt Castle wakes up in a stange new land, he has to wonder how he can survive in such a place

  • ...
65
 691
 8,676

Ch 3. INCOMING!!

As I came down the steps the sounds coming out of the kitchen could have came out of any kitchen in America, the sizzle of pancakes on a girdle, a youngster hurriedly getting ready for school, someone humming some tune of a song long forgotten. I stopped at the bottom of the stairs.

"This is the life I wanted with Sarah, somewhere nice and quiet, away from the horrors of the world, nestled between neighbors who were like family, somewhere we could raise our own." I thought sadly, knowing full well that I probably would never see her again.

With a sigh I cleared those negative thoughts out of my head and stepped into the kitchen. Big Mac, sitting in a chair with a stack of pancakes just looked at me, obviously not happy about me walking free through his house. Next to him was a much smaller yellow pony with red hair and a pink bow almost bigger than she was. She didn't notice me at first but when she did her eyes got huge, bigger than I would've ever guessed possible

"Umm, sis, is this the ‘pony’ you helped the other day?" She asked with a sweet voice.

"Yes he sure is sugarcuge." Said Applejack, who was the culprit behind the delicious smells.

"Umm, not to insult ya sis, but you do know that ain't a pony right?"

"Eeyup." Came Big Mac's response as he went back to work on the stack of pancakes in front of him.

"I bet ya you’re hungry." Said Applejack as she carried over two plates stacked high with pancakes, setting one in front of the little pony and the other in front of the empty seat next to Big Mac.

"Now just sit down an' eat." She ordered, an order I'll gladly accept too.

The meal they had given me last night had been delicious, but as i discovered to my immense joy that the pancake where much better fresh with a touch of maple syrup, if everything here tasted so good maybe being stuck here wouldn't be quite so bad.

I had just finished my pancakes when the little one jumped up and looked at her flank, and with a disappointed sigh she sat back down. Applejack, noticing my confusion spoke up from behind her own stack of pancakes.

"Apple Bloom's just tryin to get her cutie mark, though ah've never seen one for eatin’ pancakes."

"The I'd be the first!" She exclaimed proudly.

"Then ah'd hurry so you don’ get one fer bein’ late fer school."

There was a flurry of movement as Apple Bloom hastily grabbed her saddlebags and pulled a struggling Big Mac through the door, mentioning something about not wanting to keep Mrs. Cheerilee away from her shmoopy-doopy sweetie-weety pony pie.

Looking out the window at the two as they walked towards what I assumed was the school I drifted off, thinking of how I used to walk my little sisters to school then go work at the mill, only taking a break long enough to pick them up from school later in the night.

I was shook from my thoughts as I felt something poking me in the face, startled I jumped and almost fell out of the chair I was in. Looking to see who had brought me back to the "real" world I saw a worried looking Applejack.

"Are you sure you’re okay?"

"Yeah, sure, just give me somethin’ to do all day and I'll do just fine."

"Well since you’re offerin’," She said as I put the dishes into the sink, "I could use some help with the buckin' today."

"Woah! You want me to do what?!"

"Apple buckin', what did ya think ah said?" She said giving me a funny look.

"Yeah, if I told ya your brother would probably kill me."

"Oh darn him, I hate it when he is so protective, ever since we lost ma and pa he has never been quite the same."

Seeing tears in her eyes I quickly tried to change the subject to something less painful. Unfortunately being lost in a new world that you know absolutely nothing about, and guessing that telling them that you killed people for a living is probably not the greatest of ways to start a conversation, I had nothing. After a few moments of silence she shook her head and kicked open the door.

"Come on now, them apples ain't gonna pick themselves ya know."


We had been working for few hours when Big Mac came back, and Applejack took him behind the barn for some "discussin". Soon afterwards he left pulling what looked like a market cart heavily laden with everything apple, from ol' natural to fritters, and it was painfully obvious that he hated the idea of leaving his sister with someone potentially dangerous.

It had soon became apparent that I couldn't knock the apples from the trees so I was content on just hauling the full barrels back up to the barn. It was hard work but the day was beautiful, a slight breeze to cool me and plenty of shade from the trees. The skies were are a startlingly blue without a cloud in sight.

"Well ah'll be, ah've never worked quite so fast before, heck we almost done and it ain't even noon!" She said proudly.

"Well you've never quite had help like these babies." I said as I struck a funny muscle flexing pose, earning me a fit of laughter from the farm pony.

"Ah don't know what Big Mac was worried ‘bout." She said between fits of laughter. "Your as harmless as a kitten!"

"Am I to take that as a compliment?" I asked, bemused.

"Sure ya should, and since we're almost done how ‘bout ah take ya into town and show ya around, seein’ how this place is probably gonna be your home for awhile."

"Is that the best of ideas? I really don’t think that your townspeople will take kindly to having a large weird creature wandering through town."

"Don't cha worry ‘bout it sugercube, at first a few will probably slam their doors and shutters like they did with Zecora when she first moved here, but if need be ah'll kick them doors down myself!"

"Please don't, I really don't want you dipping into my wages to pay for doors you kicked down."

"Now which pony said ah was gonna pay ya?" She said with a big smile on her face as she trotted towards the path to town. "You still gotta earn that breakfast ya ate!"


Applejack was only partially right, we walked into town without any pony really noticing me until we had gotten onto one of the busier streets when suddenly one pony pointed and yelled, "A MONSTER IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU APPLEJACK, RUN!". Most of the ponies on the street, instantly stopping whatever they were doing, stared right at me wide eyed.

"Ummmmm, hi." I said sheepishly, giving a small half-hearted wave.

Yeah, apparently not one of my smarter moves as every pony scattered with screams of terror. One even tried to grab Applejack to "save" her only to be scared off by something even scarier than little ol' me, a furious looking Applejack.

"STOP RIGHT THERE YA'LL!!" She yelled loud enough that my ears were ringing afterwards.

Once again every pony in sight skidded to an instant halt, all eyes now focused on Applejack.

"Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves, Cass here is friendly as a bunny. Just cause he looks weird don't mean you can hide from him! Heck, ya'll should be welcomin’ him to town!" She yelled, slightly quieter, slightly.

After that little outburst the crowd looked around with blushes on their faces, meekly continuing with what they were doing before I had appeared. A few of the braver ones came up to me and shook my hand, welcoming me to "Ponyville", most quickly disappeared as if I was going to hurt them.

The good new about every pony avoiding me is that we made good time through the crowd towards what Applejack had described as the best place to eat after a long day at work, despite the fact that she had already admitted to being done for the day in record time.

We arrived at what could only be described as a yummy looking building, with wonderful smells coming from within. Applejack seeing me hesitate pushed me towards the door. I opened the door entering the small but cozy shop with a small tinkle from the bell above the door announcing my arrival.

KA-BOOM!!!

They're here, how did they get here, this is too peaceful of a place for war to come, its all my fault if I didn't come it never would've come here...

"SMACK"

My eyes came back into focus on Applejack's face, and I saw her lips moving but didn't hear a thing. She shook me a little, yelling at me now, the worry on her face becoming more evident as I struggled to try to understand her. I looked around and saw that I was behind a flipped table, the items that had been on the table spread across the room that I could see. There were streamers hanging from the ceiling and balloons floating lazily through the air, oblivious to the drama in the room.

"Huh?" I mumbled out of my dry mouth, it barely wanting to do what I wanted it to.

"Ah said it's just a surprise party!" Yelled Applejack right next to my ear.

"Ow" I said as I raised my hand to my ear, only to nearly stab myself in the eye with a knife clutched in a death grip, when did that get there?

"Did he not like my surprise?" Came a sweet, but sad sounding voice from above me.

Looking up I saw a pink pony with wild curls for hair which currently held about a dozen or so cupcakes that had most likely been on the table that had been flipped, leaning over the edge of the table I was behind. Behind her I saw a few other pairs of eyes cautiously peering over the edge.

"Ah'm sure you just scared him a bit too much Pinkie Pie, he is new to our town and ain’t used to your surprises." Said Applejack gently nudging me with her hoof.

"Uhhh, yeah, ummmmm, you just scared me Pinkie." I mumbled out, mouth still not wanting to function.

"Does that mean we can still party?" She asked excitedly, I wondered if she had ever considered switching to decaf.

"Yeah," Came Applejack quick reply. "just no more explosions, you might just kill Cass with the next one."

"Okie dokie lokie!" Came her bubbly response as she turned to presumably restart the party that I had so expertly destroyed, taking the other pairs of eyes with her.

"You okay?" Applejack asked for the second time today, the worry written all over her face.

"I don't know." I replied shakily, "Could you help me?" motioning towards my hand with the knife with my free hand, apparently that hand had forgotten how to let go.

After a bit of struggling to open the hand we finally pried the knife, which happened to be just a cake knife, from my hand. I stood up with a bit of support from Applejack and turned around to behold a scene of utter chaos. There were cupcakes everywhere, a few were even sticking to the "Welcome" banner, everything was soaking with a purple liquid, probably from the empty punch bowl sitting upside down on the cash register. Every pony in the room watched me warily as if I was about to break. The only people who seemed to be happy were two baby ponies, who sat next to a rather large cake, and were busy hoof painting with the frosting and eating the cake.

"SURPRISE." Pinkie whispered bouncing where she was, her excitement evident even though I ruined her party.

"I...Ummmmm......" I felt a gentle nudge from Applejack, reassuring me. "Sorry ‘bout ruinin’ everything." I said with a silly half-grin.

"Oh its ok." Said Pinkie, who was still bouncing. "I was just so excited to throw you a party after seeing you in the market earlier that I didn't even stop to see if you liked surprises."

"Ummm...Thanks." Talking to a bouncing pony was harder than it seemed, but her innocence was infectious. "I'm actually good with surprises, just not explosions or similar noises."

"Good to know, maybe next time we won't start the food fight so early!" She said, still bouncing.

"Ummm, if you don't mind me askin’ what is this all for anyways?" Her bouncing was really starting to get on my nerves now, how could she do that so fast without getting at least a little winded? "No offense or anything but I don't even know ya."

"Well duh." Came her exasperated reply, "That's what the party is for you silly goosie, so I can met you and become your friend!"

I guess Ponyville is next to either the biggest coffee plantation in the world or the largest insane asylum, ‘cause thats the craziest reason I've ever heard for throwing such an impromptu party. Although I guess I really shouldn't complain. Another gentle nudge from behind reminded me that the "real" world still existed.

"Well, where do we start this party?" I said, Pinkie finally stopped bouncing to give me the biggest, friendliest smile I've ever seen, but why does it scare me SO much..