• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 8,676 Views, 691 Comments

Shouldn't Be - Lumadous



When Sgt Castle wakes up in a stange new land, he has to wonder how he can survive in such a place

  • ...
65
 691
 8,676

Ch 15. Aftermath

“Applejack!” I screamed, flying out of the bed I was in.

Looking around the room I was in, it was a far cry from the suites I had been given for this trip. The walls were made of a dark stone, there was a small window high up on one wall, thick metal bars crossing it tighty. The bed I was in was a simple wooden shelf, on the opposite wall of a sturdy looking door that had a small window in it.

“Good, you are awake.” said a heavily accented voice on the other side of the door.

“Where is Applejack and Scootaloo!” I said, pounding on the door.

“They are safe Mr. Cass, the guards escorted them to their rooms and ve brought you here.”

“Where the hell am I?” I demanded.

“You are in jail, you killed a pony, and vounded several guards vhen ve tried to arrest you.” His slight russian sounding accent making his muffled words a labor to understand

“Wait, what happened?”

“Let me see, according to the report, you interrupted a robbery on a group of friends and your daughter. Quickly knocked out 5 earth ponies with minor injuries, but vhen the leader took a...Miss Applejack hostage. The report gets veird from here, the report says you threw you knife at the pony, missing him by inches, but that gave you enough of a distraction to free Miss Applejack. From there you are reported as having, ‘Broken every bone in the pony’s body, the organs appeared to have gone through a meat grinder’. After that, vell, vhen the guards tried to arrest you, you resisted, until Miss Applejack called your name. Vhen she called your name, you instantly stopped fighting, smiled briefly, and collapsed.” He paused momentarily to take a rasping breath.

“You must have put up quite a fight, you put twelve guards in the hospital. Four earth ponies, three unicorns, and five pegasus guards to be exact, quite a feat for any lone fighter to take on at once and still win. And that is not counting the criminals you also took out so brilliantly!”

Sitting on the bunk, holding my head in my hands. How could I face Applejack after murdering a pony in front of her, and then putting twelve guards in the hospital. Sure the thief was understandable, it was a life and death situation. But the guards? I just hope Scootaloo and the other Crusaders didn’t see any of it.

“Now if you vere vondering, your friend, Miss Rainbov Dash is fine, a slight concussion and a tvisted ving but she vill probably not even spend the night at the hospital.”

“So what are they going to do to me, what are the laws for a case like this?”

“Normally ve vould ensure your safety and then ve vould release you. But Princess Celestia is vorried that you are unsafe to be around. She is currently trying to convince the judges to have you, ‘made safe’.” Said the guard with disgust.

“Made safe, how do you make someone safe?”

“Vipe your memories and start anew, remake you essentially”

“What!?” I yell as I rush the door, which refused to even budge.

“Do I not get the opportunity to even defend myself in my own trial?” I screamed at the door.

“No, the Princess is convinced that you are too unsafe to be released from your cell. But this old unicorn has seen much today, I feel very sleepy, and vhoops, I accidentally unlocked the the door.” The guard said as the lock rasped open.

Stepping out of the cell I saw a very old looking stallion wearing the armor of one of Luna’s guards, he was leaning back in a chair, rear hooves on the table, his eyes closed but had a large smile on his face.

“Thanks” I said, walking past him.

“Shhh. You don’t want to vake the guard, that old Comrade Hammer is a tough one.” Said the guard, then he proceeded to ‘snore’.

Sneaking into the hallway I recognized where I was from Luna’s memories, following a path that just felt right I ended up outside Luna’s bedroom. Pausing at her doorway I sent a mental thought at her.

“Luna!”

“CASS!” Came her instant, vocal, and very loud reply from inside the room.

“Where are you Cass, my sister has prevented me from seeing you!” She thought at me.

“Open your door.”

There was a brief pause as Luna processed what I had just told her. She opened the door, revealing her tear streaked face.

“Thanks goodness you are okay, Tia wouldn’t tell me anything!” She said as she hugged me hard enough that I felt my ribs pop.

“Probably for the better, I lost it earlier.”

“I heard about you yelling at her, that is nothing to fear of.”

“I killed a pony.”

Before she could react I opened my mind, letting her come into it freely and see what I saw.

“But what happened after he captured Applejack?” She asked quietly as she pulled me into her bedroom.

“According to the pony who was guarding me, I beat him to death. And when the guards came to arrest me I resisted, putting several in the hospital.”

“Have you seen Applejack or Scootaloo since the...attack?”

“No, and how can I?”

“They need to see you, they love you and they need to know you are okay!”

“Won’t matter, Celestia is trying to convince the judges to wipe my mind.”

”WHAT?!!!”

Taking a few steps back, my ears surely bleeding at this point.

“She surely cannot be serious, it is just a jest right?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Then we need to find my sister and convince her not to perform the gravest of travesties!”

Letting myself be pulled by Luna’s strong magic she rushed from the room, running through the mostly empty hallways towards the throne room. She slid to a stop right outside the throne room and nearly ran over a very angry looking Shining Armor.

“Luna! What are you doing with him, Princess Celestia made it very clear he is to be kept under lock and key.”

“I don’t care, if he could have hurt me, he has missed plenty of opportunities to do so! And we need to talk to Celestia, now.” She said very threatening, tightening her magic on me, squeezing the air from my lungs.

“She is currently meeting with the judg-”

“NOW!” she interrupted, showing a side of her I’ve never seen before. “They are discussing whether or not to wipe Cass’s mind, and if any of thou would like to share his fate, I would suggest them to not move.”

Shining Armor, shocked at the outburst from the usually quiet, fun loving princess, meekly stepped aside, pushing the door open with his magic.

“Shining Armor, I thought I told you I wanted to be left alone.” said Celestia scornfully as Luna entered the room.

“We need to talk Tia.” she said quietly, keeping me out-of-sight in the hallway.

“Not now sister, we are deciding a very important decision here, I will talk to you later!” She said dismissively before turning back to the 3 judge ponies.

“It’s about Cass.” Luna said calmly, but her thoughts were running wild.

“I know that look Luna, somehow you have discovered what he has done, we cannot let him roam free, what if somepony makes a joke and he snaps, I cannot risk the lives of my subjects for a....a stranger.”

“I know what he did sister, but Applejack was able to stop him just by calling his name. Showing that she can control his blackouts!”

“But what if she can’t! I can’t let that monster potentially hurt somepony! He needs to be either destroyed or exiled, I’ve been trying to give him the least destructive option, a chance to start anew!”

“Is that what you do with monsters, destroy and exile?” Luna sobbed quietly, “If you couldn’t exile me would you have killed me? Or would you have just wiped my mind?”

“Luna.” Celestia said gently, “You know that was different.”

“No! It’s not!” Luna yelled.

I felt her magic release me as she broke into tears. Striding into the room, past the judge ponies who were determined to remain out of the family feud.

“So, does this monster get a say in his own execution?”

“GUARDS!!” Yelled Celestia.

As if in response Shining Armor slammed the throne room doors shut, locking them with a solid click.

“We need to talk Princess.” I said coldly.

“You stay away, if you hurt my sister having no memories will be the least of your worries.”

“Wow, not even going to let me discuss this like a rational human to a rational alicorn. You always seem to make the best of decisions.” I say as I put my arm around Luna as she sobs on the floor, she wasn't paying any attention to what was happening but was lost in the memories of her thousand year exile.

“Well then, what did you want to talk about?”

“I know I’m a danger, I try not to be, but it always comes back, I don’t want to be in a position where I could potentially hurt Applejack or Scootaloo. But I know if I just suddenly disappeared, or even changed, that it would hurt them. And I know you have already seen what happens when they are threatened.”

“So what options do you see open for yourself?”

“One, say fuck it, stab me with your horn, and screw the consequences. Two, move me into the castle and keep me within sight at all times. Or three, move a guard or two to Ponyville, keep my family safe from me, no matter the cost, not worrying about arresting me, just keep them safe.”

“And if I do not like your options?”

“Guess I figure out how sharp your horn is then.” I said with a smile that had no warmth.

“Judges, what do you think?”

The judges, obviously not wanting to be locked in that room, held a short conference with each other before the eldest looking of the group stepped forwards and announced.

“We have decided on a fourth option. Princess Luna will move to Ponyville, taking her guards with her. She will be the caretaker of Sergeant Castle, and her guards will be the protectors of his family and others. This solution solves many issues, and we believe it is the best option for solving all of them.”

Celestia just sat there, her eyes wide, and her mouth wide open, not believing anything her most trusted of judges had just told her. It was a full minute before she regained her composure and glared directly at me. As if it was my fault.

“And,” the judge continued after one of the others whispered something into his ear. “In light of Sergeant Castle’s involvement in a recent police action, he is hereby promoted to the newly created rank of Lunar Probationary Captain. Congrats Captain, the guards will be informed soon and will be awaiting your orders when you arrive in Ponyville, until then, we order you to spend time with your family. This court is adjourned, and the case settled. And Celestia, be expecting my resignation in the morning!” Said the judge as he stormed to the door, which promptly swung open, revealing a large number of well armed and armored guards, who were trying their hardest to appear busy, one even mopping the floor with a spear.

Comrade Hammer and Shining Armor entered the room, both of them wore an impressive poker face as they trotted up to me and Luna.

“Princess Luna, please come with me.” Said Shining Armor gently as he helped Luna leave the room with some dignity.

“Captain Sergeant!” Snapped Comrade Hammer as he gave me a crisp salute. “I’m here to lead you to your family, they are vaiting for you.”

“Lead the way.” I said, letting him lead me from the room, pausing at the door I looked back at Princess Celestia. It looked like she was trying very hard to not cry, and I sympathised. She was only trying to protect her family from the wolf in sheeps wool.

“Captain Sergeant!” Said Comrade Hammer as he poked my leg.

“Call me Captain Sergeant one more time and I’ll make you regret freeing me from that jail.” I threatened half heartedly as the throne room doors swung shut.

“Ha, I like you already Captain, speak your mind first, consequences never!” He said, his happiness leaking through his poker face. “But I like the ring of Captain Sergeant, makes you sound more important than just Probationary Captain!”

“It’s just Cass, and please let the others know that, and I do not want to ever be saluted ever again.”

“Not much into that military foolery I see my friend.”

“No, I am practicable, but lets not worry about that now, please just get me to my family quick, I have to see them, oh and Comrade Hammer, thanks for letting me out.”

“Don’t worry ‘bout it Cass, but call me Sasha.”

“Wait, you’re a female?”

“Hahaha, no, but my vife does sometimes call me one with less gentle words my friend, but lets not keep yours vaiting!”