• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 8,676 Views, 691 Comments

Shouldn't Be - Lumadous



When Sgt Castle wakes up in a stange new land, he has to wonder how he can survive in such a place

  • ...
65
 691
 8,676

Ch 6. Lost

I can't believe that I let myself get lost, I couldn't even see the hospital from where I was. Wishing now that I had the presence of mind to at least grab my boots before coming on this walk with Princess Luna, I began climbing on top of a nearby bench to get my bearings. Thankfully I could see buildings a little bit further away.

"Guess that's the only lead I'm gonna get." I said to no one in particular as I jumped down off the bench.

Walking into the town I saw that while the majority of the ponies were still asleep there was a surprising large number of them that rushed to get to whatever tasks they had to do this early in the morning. Most of the ponies though gave me a wide berth once they saw me, not surprising, not everyday you see a 6'3" human walking through the streets in the early morning, wearing nothing but a pair of tattered DACU pants, and a tan undershirt. Heck even in my old world I would've been avoided like the plague, and here most of the ponies have never seen a creature like me.

Up ahead on the road I saw a taller pink building that had lights on in one of the rooms, apparently someone was still burning the midnight oil. The building itself looked like whoever lived in it liked being in a spotlight. With a sigh I walk up to the purple door and knocked, figuring that I would either scare the resident halfway to death or they would point me in the direction of the hospital.

"One moment," came a sophisticated voice from within. There was a sound of a pony trotting up to the door just before it swung open, revealing a white unicorn who, upon seeing me gasped and collapsed.

"Ah crap," I ran in to help the pony up and carried her into the next room, which happened to be a dark kitchen. I somehow managed to stub my toe on a chair painfully before laying the pony on the table and was blindly searching for a light switch when the lights suddenly turned on, leaving me momentarily blinded.

"What did you do to my sister?!" A younger voice yelled at me as I was tackled from behind.

"Nothing, I swear!" I yelled as tiny hoofs pelted the back of my head as I ran around the room attempting to dislodge the smaller pony who was riding my shoulders without hurting her, much.

"Nothing?! You come to our house and knock her out and then carry her into the kitchen where you can do your evil things to her you, you, big ol' meanie!" she yelled right into my left ear.

"I just knocked on the door and she passed out!" I yelled back

"You big meanie, you’re lying!" she screamed into the same ear

"I'm telling the truth, I swear....."

"STOP RIGHT THERE" I skidded to a stop and felt one or two more half-hearted strikes against my head, both of us staring at the very, very angry looking white unicorn.. "Sweetie Bell is that anyway to treat a guest?”

"But Rarity, he was going to sacrifice you to Nightmare Moon!" said Sweetie Belle, who was still riding me... god the Soviet Russia jokes I could make right now.

"No he wasn't, can't you tell that he is dying to get out of those awful clothes? My eyes burn just looking at him, AND, its Princess Luna now, Nightmare Moon is no more." Rarity said as she hopped off the table, levitating the small pony off my back, where she aimed one last kick to the back of my head.

"Now go back to bed, you've got school in a couple of hours."

"But!" Sweetie Belle complained.

"No buts, now march your butt to bed right now, young miss!" Rarity ordered.

"Aww" said Sweetie Belle as she went up the stairs, head hanging low.

"Thanks," I said rubbing the back of my head, looking at the damage I had done to the kitchen.

"Come with me, Mr....." said Rarity as she left the room.

"Sgt Castle, but call me Cass," I said following her into a messy room with cloth spread across almost every flat surface of the room.

"Okay Mr. Cass, lets get you out of those clothes," she said as several tape measures floated toward me.

"Umm, Miss Rarity I really don't have time for this, I really need to get back to the hospital, and when Princess Luna visited —"

"Princess Luna is here?" She asked, looking around for her.

"She was here, she left awhile ago, but when I went on that walk with her I unfortunately got lost, and since I'm new here, I don't know my way back. I saw your lights on and I hoped you could give me directions," I explained to her quickly before she could interrupt me again.

"But I simply cannot let you walk around in such an atrocious outfit!" she said, the tape measures floating closer.

"Fine, if it would make you happy I can let you take a few measurements, and I'll pay for the new clothes when I can. But I am not removing my pants."

Giving me a funny look she started taking my measurements, asking me a few questions now and then, and occasionally ordering me to demonstrate my range of motion for a particular joint so she could make sure my new clothes would fit right.

"Well that should do for now," she said after what seemed to be an eternity, "And don't worry about paying, I simply cannot let you walk around in those."

"I do have another favor to ask then, if you don't mind."

"What is it my dear."

Pointing to the large hole in my pants that was stained with blood, "How are you at fixing holes?"

"Oh I can do more than fix holes," she said with a grin as her horn glowed and she got it close to the pant leg. Not only did the hole seem to just disappear, the frayed sides simply reattaching themselves to the opposite side, but all the dirt and blood simply lifted off and floated in a cloud into a nearby trash can. When she was done not only did my DACU pants look brand new but the tan undershirt was also clean.

"Wow, you're going to have to teach me that trick."

"Another time, but the sun is coming up and you should get back to the hospital before the doctors come looking for you."

"It's Applejack I'm worried about," I muttered under my breath.

"Wait, are you that Cass? The heart breaker? I thought it had been somepony that caught her fancy," she said in a harsh tone. "You better have a good reason for hurting her the way you did."

"Umm, yeah, but I didn't mean to hurt he,." I said quickly as a nearby potted plant came flying at my head.

"Thats what they all say! Your reasons better be the best reasons in Equestria if you want to keep that head attached!" She yelled that last sentence as another potted plant came sailing across the room.

"Yeah, I'm already engaged to someone on my world, and I don't think it would work out, me being a human and all!" I was still dodging potted plants, geez how many of them did she have?

"Harumph, I guess one of those is a good enough reason," she said as the other potted plants floating behind her went back to their places on the shelves.

"Sis what’s going on?" Came Sweetie Belle's voice from the top of the stairs.

"Nothing dear, now go back to sleep," said Rarity sweetly. "Now you Mr. Cass, you'd better hurry back to that hospital and be there before she wakes up," she added with much more hostility

"Sure, but you still haven't told me how to get there," I said, still hiding behind the stage she had in the middle of the room, expecting more plants to barrage me.

"Leave my house through the front door and take a right, then take your third left and continue on that road, it should lead you directly there," she said as she opened her door for me.

"Thank you Miss Rarity, I promise I'll get there ASAP." I said as I started jogging down the road.

"Oh and Mr. Cass," she called sweetly after me, I stopped and turned, only seeing the potted plant after it was too late to move out of its way.

As I was picking myself up off the road, brushing the dirt off my face, she called after me, "Don't ever do that to my friend again!" and then slammed her door, leaving me in the early morning alone.

Guess I don't have time to be wasting, looking at the rapidly rising sun, and took off at a fast pace towards the hospital.


Arriving at the hospital just as the sun peaked over the horizon I ran through the large double door entrance, barely slowing down as I sprinted past the sleepy looking nurse who sat at the front desk. I skid to a stop outside the door where Applejack had kept watch over her brother through the night and quietly opened the door to tiptoe into the room, attempting to not wake her. As I entered the room I was relieved to see that nothing had changed in my absence other than Applejack, who had rolled out from underneath the blanket we had been sharing before. She was now lying on her back, her 4 hooves sticking into the air, slightly curled. I grabbed the blanket and gently covered her up, trying hard not to laugh as she snored cutely. I sat back down where I was before and decided to get a couple winks of sleep before the day really started. I had barely closed my eyes when Applejack, still fast asleep, scooted closer to me, putting her head back into my lap. With a smile on my face I drifted off to a welcome sleep.