• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 8,676 Views, 691 Comments

Shouldn't Be - Lumadous



When Sgt Castle wakes up in a stange new land, he has to wonder how he can survive in such a place

  • ...
65
 691
 8,676

Ch 10. Unexpected sources

“Now hold on now.” I protested from underneath his hoofs, “We didn’t do a damned thing!”

“Why should I believe you?” he asked, leaning down near my ear.

“Because your sister does!” Yelled Rainbow Dash who was hovering above the kitchen table. “And besides, do you not trust your sister to find her own love?!”

“Yes, No, I don’t know!” he yelled, starting to tear up, but also unfortunately putting more weight on his front hoofs.

“Air!” I gasped from underneath him, being ignored by the two arguing ponies.

“I think you’re more afraid of seeing your sister leave than you care about her!” Yelled Rainbow Dash, growing even redder.

“No!” he yelled, “My family is everything to me!”

“Then why do you hate Cass so much!”

“I don’t know!” he yelled, his tears falling on the back of my head.

“Air!” I gasped again, clawing at the floor as I felt something in my chest pop.

“Then why are you pushing him away, why are you making it harder for your sister to find her first love, why do you not accept what even Apple Bloom has seen? You're the only one here preventing your sister from becoming happy! You should be happy, here you are getting a new member of the family and you're shunning him, I’ve never seen you like this, you have always been so kind. This. Is. Not. YOU!” Rainbow Dash yelled, gradually getting louder with each word until by the end the rafters were shaking and Big Mac had started backing away.

“But, I, ugh” He stammered, lost for words.

“Why can’t you just accept him?” She yelled again, getting right in his face.

Seeing my opportunity, I reached up and grabbed one of her rear hoofs, pulling her downwards sharply. Rainbow Dash finally looking down and seeing the pained look on my now purple face shoved Big Mac off my back.

I gasped up air as the weight was remove from my back, the air never smelled quite so good.

“You okay?” asked Rainbow Dash as she helped me into a chair.

“Yeah, hey you’re bleeding again.” I said pointing at her nose.

“Aww horse apples!” she said as she went to the sink looking for a towel.

Turning to Big Mac, “You do not have to worry about me hurting your sister, I’ll never do that again, ever” I wheezed out, I think he had cracked a few of my ribs.

“You’ve already proven that wrong!” he retorted.

“Okay, I’ll give you that, I handled that way wrong.”

“Then what are you tryin with mah sis?”

“I’m just enjoying her comforts,” Seeing the look on his face, I added. “Not. Like. That! When I’ve had my flashbacks she has always been there to help me through them, without her I would probably be in some corner completely incoherent, oblivious to your world. So what I’m trying to say is I owe my life to Applejack!” I was yelling at this point.

“The question is, what are you trying to get from your sister? What do you have to gain from keeping her sheltered? Why do youfight so hard to keep her locked up?” I asked him, poking him in the chest with my finger.

He sobbed quietly, something I didn’t expect from him. “I can’t lose anyone else, I’ve lost my parents, I’ve lost my friends, if I lost her I don’t know what I would do.”

Seeing that I was finally getting through to him, I added quietly, “The thing about Applejack is that I could never separate her from her family, meaning no matter how hard I tried I would never be able to separate her from you.”

“But wha..”

“Oh hush you.” I said, shoving his shoulder playfully, “When has she ever abandoned you? Never? Yeah i thought so, so why would she start now?”

“I don’t know” he sobbed, head hanging low in shame.

“Come on, let’s get Rainbow Dash home, or to the hospital” Rainbow Dash made a face that clearly read “Yuk” about the hospital.

“I’m fine,” she said as she wobbled on her feet a little, having to catch the counter to keep her balance.

“We’re walking you back.” We said almost in unison.

“But!” she protested weakly

“No buts” I said sternly as I picked her up.

Big Mac opened the door for me and we stepped out into the blinding sunlight of the peaceful orchard.


Standing about 3 stories below Rainbow Dash’s flying castle we saw how futile it was to try to get her home now. The light blue mare was in no shape to be flying anymore today, and no way in hell was I going to attempt to throw her up there.

“Soooo, ummm, do ladders fall through clouds?” I asked hopefully.

“Eeyup”

“Well crap.”

“I got this.” Said Rainbow Dash as she attempted to take off, only to be held down by my boot on her tail.

“We could drop her off at Twilight’s place” suggested Big Mac.

“Yeah, Isn’t it that tree lookin place?” I asked, looking down a nearby street, spotting it.

“Eeyup”

“Alright.” I said as I grabbed with weak pony and carried her down the street towards Twilight’s tree house.

“I can fly!” she protested.

“Sure. I’ll let you fly to your house if you can get out of my arms” I stopped for a moment as she struggled futilely against my iron grip.

“Done yet?” I asked after a few minutes.

“No!” she panted, her struggles growing weaker.

“Okay” I said as I continued walking, ignoring all the looks from ponies that we passed.

“Gonna be interesting to explain this on market day.” Comment Big Mac dryly.

“Eeyup” Was my response as we reached Twilight’s door.

Reaching up I knocked loudly on the door. Hearing a muffled crash within I walked cautiously towards the ground floor window, peeking in I saw a little purple dragon un-burying himself from a pile of books at the base of a ladder. A few moment later the front door swung open revealing the rather annoyed looking dragon.

“Yeah, how can I help you?” He asked, sounding rather annoyed.

“Is Twilight here?” I asked.

He paused for a moment, looking at Rainbow Dash’s rump over my shoulder, who was still slightly struggling.

“Umm, yeah, let me get her.” he said as he entered the house, leaving the door open for us to enter.

The interior had a nice high roof and had bookshelves lining the walls. At a desk in a corner sat an owl who was currently sleeping amidst what looked like an explosive study session. Books were spread out all around the room and scrolls were waiting to be rolled. Empty ink wells rolled around the floor in numbers too numerous to even begin counting.

“What happened here?” I asked Spike as he went up the stairs towards the rear of the house.

“You know that pen you gave her the other day?” He asked pausing at the top of the stairs.

“Umm, yeah, is she testing it out or something?”

“No” she said as she appeared behind Spike. “I’ve been trying to remake it, but some of the things that it is made of don’t exist here, so I’ve had to find replacement that exist here for it.”

Trotting down the stairs a line of pens followed her, floating through the air, each glowing slightly purple. She levitated them towards me with a hopeful smile.

“Umm, before I test these new pens, can you help Rainbow Dash first” Pointing at the still struggling blue mare.

“Oh!” She said, pens dropping to the floor as she noticed her friend, “What happened?”

“She was peekin through the window at me and Applejack when she leaned too far and crashed through.”

“She hurt herself that much from falling through a window?” She asked as she used magic to take her friend off my shoulder and put her down in a comfy looking chair.

“Umm, that and I hit her in the face with a lamp...”

“Why?” She asked, looking shocked.

“Yeah, I seem to have a tendency of reacting the wrong way when all of you ponies keep on surprisin the piss out of me.”

“I’ll keep that in mind next time I come to visit” She said dryly.

“Hey, I try not to but you crazy ponies seem to try to do it!” I said quickly.

“They’re just actin normal.” Said Big Mac

“Okay, but let’s get back to the matter on hand. Twilight, can you help Rainbow Dash?” I said gesturing towards Rainbow Dash.

“Oh!” Said Twilight again, turning back to her friend, her horn glowing briefly before she touched it to her friends forehead.

Almost instantly Rainbow Dash looked more alert and the color rushed back to her fur. Don’t really know how that works out, but whatever she did Rainbow Dash was almost instantly back to her old self.

“Just a bit of blood loss and a slight concussion” she said smiling as she turned back to me, “Good thing I studied all those medical spells when I was younger, though to play it safe you probably shouldn’t go to sleep for the next 24 hours.”

The look of horror on Rainbow Dash’s face made it very hard not to laugh.

“Hey, since it’s my fault I’ll stay up with ya and keep ya company.” I said hoping to break her shock.

“You’d better, or I’ll make it rain on you for weeks!” she threatened, shaking her hoof at me.

“What was she peeking in on anyways?” Interjected Twilight.

“Oh Cass and Applejack were sleeping together! It was kinda cute how they cuddled together!” Rainbow Dash squealed, flying overhead, just out of my reach.

“Oh, I didn’t know you and Applejack had moved quite so quickly in your relationship! Congratulations.” She said giving me an embarrassed look.

“God freakin dammit! NOT. LIKE. THAT! Geez, nothing happened at all, I just had another nightmare and she came in to comfort me. I also woke up Apple Bloom and she gave me her stuffed animal, hoping that he’ll help me too.”

“She gave you Mr. Apples?” Asked Big Mac in surprise.

“Umm, yeah, I think that what he’s named. Why?” I asked

“Ah thought Applejack would give her hat away before Apple Bloom gave away Mr. Apples.” He said slowly.

“He means that much to her?”

“Eeyup, looks like you won’t have to worry about getting her approval.” He said dryly.

“Here” said Twilight as she re-entered the room, I hadn’t even seen her leave. “This book might be able to help you out”

The title of the book, written out in fancy pink letter, was “How to Please Your Marefriend”

“You found that awfully fast” Said Rainbow Dash, who had read the title from over my shoulder.

Twilight, instantly blushing, stammered, “Well, umm, theres an adult section, yeah, and it’s really, really small so I didn’t have to look hard for it.” She finished it off with a cheesy grin.

“Were you even listening to me before you ran off and found this?” I asked, handing it back to her.

“You said something?” She asked innocently.

“Ugh!” I said as I slammed my face into my hand. “Let me repeat myself then, there is nothing like that happening between me and Applejack. Why do you ponies automatically jump right to that conclusion?”

Oh," she said, almost sounding disappointed, "Well I guess I'll put this back,” she said as she took the book from my hands and walked back upstairs with it.

“Umm, Twi, isn’t it only your room upstairs?” asked Rainbow Dash who finally landed on the floor again.

She halted so suddenly that she almost face planted on the stairs, stammering as she said, “Well, umm, it’s umm,” looking at the book desperately, “Oh it’s damaged, I need to repair it!” she said before she zipped upstairs faster than I’ve seen her run in the past.

“Uh huh” said Rainbow Dash, unconvinced, “How much you wanna bet we opened up a whole new path for her to ‘Study’.”

“I don’t think we opened anything up, I didn’t see where she got that book from.” I commented back.

“What are ya’ll goin on about, and what book was that?” asked a clueless looking Big Mac from behind us.

“Oh, just something you and Cheerilee would enjoy using together!” Joked Rainbow Dash.

We both laughed as he blushed deeply, still looking confused.