• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 8,676 Views, 691 Comments

Shouldn't Be - Lumadous



When Sgt Castle wakes up in a stange new land, he has to wonder how he can survive in such a place

  • ...
65
 691
 8,676

Ch 9. Attracted to Crashes

We entered the room together, the other ponies sitting around her dining room table talking cordially to each other, trying very hard to not stare at the two latecomers. We sat at the table next to each other, Applejack still blushing, and tried not to bring unwarranted attention to ourselves.

Unfortunately, Rainbow Dash didn't have a subtle bone in her body.

"What took you two sooo long, what did ya do, stop and make out!" She asked jokingly.

Seeing the look of horror on their friends faces, they all gasped.

"So are you two, ummm, together now?" Asked Twilight warily.

With a deep blush on her face, Applejack mumbled something into her mug.

"Umm, dear, we didn't hear you." Said Rarity, who was leaning in to hear better.

Another mumble from Applejack, she was desperately trying to hide herself in her mug at this point.

"So Cass," Said Twilight as she looked at me. "are you two dating now?"

"Well, ummm..."

"YES!!" Yelled Applejack, who looked ready to die from embarrassment. "If that's okay with you." She added quickly.

"Course!" I said, wrapping my arm around her, pulling her in close.

"YAY!" Yelled Pinkie Pie as she popped up behind us, nearly giving me a heart attack. "I've never had a party for a couple getting together!" She said excitedly as she bounced around the room.

Twilight, seeing the overwhelmed look on our faces, used her magic to catch Pinkie Pie mid jump, who didn't seem to notice and continued listing items she needed for the party.

"Well girls, its getting late, we should be getting home" She said cheerfully as she levitated a still talking Pinkie through the open door.

"Should we leave these two love-birds all alone?" Teased Rainbow Dash, nudging me in the ribs with a wink.

"Rainbow! That's incredibly uncouth of you to say! And even then it none of your business!" Said Rarity, who had a big smile on her face, you could tell she was thinking the same thing but had more class than to say it out loud.

That just left Fluttershy, who quietly sneaked through the door with her friends, she paused just outside the doorway and said, "Congratulations!" before she swung the door shut, leaving me and Applejack alone in the kitchen.

"No" Said Applejack, punching me lightly in the ribs.

"What?"

"You ain't gettin into my bed that easily!" She said, her blush deepening.

"That wasn't my goal at all, and you should know that." I said, slightly hurt that all my new friends thought I would move onto the later stages of our relationship so quickly.

"I know." She said as she leaned into me, finally relaxing.

Putting my arm around her we sat there for a long time, just enjoying each others company before she finally slipped into sleep. Being as gentle as I could I picked her up and carried her up to her room, tucking her into bed. Before I left the room I planted a kiss on her forehead and left towards my room. Passing by Apple Bloom’s room I couldn’t help but smile as the small pony within talked in her sleep, something about finally getting her cutie mark.

Entering my room I sat on the bed, slipped my boots and DACU top off before finally going to sleep myself.


"HOW DARE YOU!" Screamed Sarah's face, inches from mine.

I immediately flinched backwards, slipping on the blood all over the floor, landing in a pile of burnt corpses, their shriveled hands grabbing me, pulling me down into the pile. I jumped up and ran from them, bursting through a door into a blindingly bright street. Soldiers flanking me on either side. Sgt Canner, ran up to me and shook me.

"Get a Grip on yourself, focus on the mission" He whispered to me, trying to prevent the other soldiers from hearing.

I merely nodded and he went back to his position. We walked down the street into a town, tall building on either side not providing any shadows. Up ahead, a [url= suddenly rolled out of an alley and started shooting towards us, mowing the soldiers down in a pink haze. I ran to a nearby doorway and reached for my grenades as the Sgt from before ran towards me, nearly reaching the safety of my cover before he was blown in half, covering me head to toe with blood. In a rage I threw the grenades towards the BTR, but the grenades had little effect on the heavily armored vehicle. Behind me the doorway opened and a dozen hands pulled me in. Looking up I saw that it was a classroom and the hands belonged to the students there.

The door opposite exploded inwards, troops piling in, firing into the group of children, penning me under their bodies. After the massacre Sarah, dressed as one of the soldiers walked up to me.

"Why?" She asked as she poured gas on me as I struggled.

"Why? Why did you betray me with that whore? Why did you leave me?" She asked again, crying now as she opened a zippo, tossing it at my face.

"WHY!" She yelled over the roar of the flames as they enveloped me.

The stench of burning flesh, the pain of being burned, the hot followed by the cold as my body died.

"NOOO!!" I screamed with the last of my energy.


I woke with a start, nearly pushing the orange mare who was holding me out of my bed. I was shivering despite the fact that it was warm in the room. The stench of burnt flesh still filled my nose as tears streamed out of my clenched eyes.

"Its okay." Applejack whispered gently in my ear as she stroked my head.

"You gonna be okay?" Asked Apple Bloom from the doorway, still looking half-asleep.

"Yeah, just a bad dream." Said Applejack. "Now go back to sleep."

Apple Bloom stood for a moment longer before getting a look of inspiration and running off, coming back with a small stuffed animal in the shape of a pony, it was obvious that the toy had been well loved, the once brightly colored fur faded and worn. Apple Bloom trotted up to me and dropped the toy in my lap.

"This is Mr. Apple." She said sadly. "He always helped me when I was little, maybe he can help you."

I was touched, a young pony giving up what was obviously one of her favorite toys to a near total stranger. Fighting back tears I finally responded. "Thanks, I'll take good care of him."

"You'd better!" She said quickly as she walked out of the room.

"I remember him." said Applejack, looking at the stuffed animal dwarfed in my hands. "Ah gave him to Apple Bloom years ago when she was having some bad nightmares. He used to be mine, one of the last things my parents gave me."

Seeing she needed comforting I pulled her close, reversing our earlier positions. I held her close as she held me close, the small toy between us as we drifted off into a comfortable sleep.


I woke in a happy daze, a warm body cuddling next to mine. I just laid there for a long while, just enjoying the company. Applejack, who was still hugging Mr. Apple, was snoring in her familiar way that just made not smiling impossible. There was a tapping at the door outside, but whoever it was could wait, nothing on this world could be important enough to wake Applejack. The tapping on the door continued for a while before stopping, thinking whoever it was had gone away I lay idly stroking her mane, enjoying the silky smoothness coupled with the slight smell of apple and cinnamon that she almost always seemed to have.

CRASH

I jumped out of bed, grabbing the bedside lamp and throwing it full force at the intruder who came crashing through the window, hitting the blue pegasus square in the face, knocking it into the wall, shattering the lamp. That's about the point that I recognized it as Rainbow Dash, who had a dazed look on her face and was bleeding slightly from her nose and various other scratches.

"Oh shit!" I yelled as I ran to her.

"Help!" Came Applejack’s muffled cry from underneath the mattress I had also apparently flipped.

Rushing back to the bed I hastily unburied Applejack and returned to Rainbow Dash who was still dazed.

"What in tarnation happened?" She said, seeing the bleeding pegasus.

"I over-reacted, again." I said meekly.

"I'd say!" Said Rainbow Dash, slurring her words slightly.

"What were you doing outside my window anyways?" I said as I picked up the surprising light pony.

"Ummmm, I was just checking to see if your house was burglar proof!" Said the bleeding pony with a smile.

"Of all the underhanded sneaky things you've done!" Exclaimed Applejack, "You were peakin’!"

"And I saw you two sleeping together." She responded, earning vivid blushes from both of us.

"Nothing happened!" I said hastily. "Heck ask Apple Bloom."

"Wait, I don't care that you two are going at it but don't you think Apple Bloo...Woah!" The rest of her sentence was cut short by me suddenly going from carrying her gently over my shoulder to carrying her upside-down in front of me.

"Go ahead and continue, just remember, I'm the only one between you and Applejack, and by extension, Big Mac." I said with a sadistic smile.

"Alright alright, I was joking anyways." Said the blue pony who had crossed her arms...forelegs, in front of herself.

Flipping Rainbow Dash back upright I sat her in one of the kitchen chairs, and grabbed a towel to start cleaning up her face to see what damage I had done. I was about half-way done when Apple Bloom came down the stairs, stopping and staring in shock at the mayhem before her.

"Ah don't wanna know." She said as she grabbed some food and trotted out the door.

"Hold on!" Yelled Applejack as she ran out the door to catch up with her so she could walk her to school, leaving me to deal with Rainbow Dash.

"So you got any good excuses for yourself now?” I asked.

"I'm sorry but I was just curious, I wanted to see if you two could be trusted alone, that and I had a bet with Rarity." She answered meekly under my stern stare.

"Uh huh, ever heard the phrase ‘curiosity killed the cat’?"

"Yeah." She said looking away, hoof on the back of her head. "And how did you do that?"

"Do what?" I asked as I felt up her nose, feeling for anything broken.

"React so quickly, I hadn't even hit the floor before you nailed me with that lamp."

"Practice, and lots of it." I said quietly, pausing for a moment.

"Can you teach me how to do that? Maybe I could use it in a trick!" She said excitedly.

"Sure, but it would involve me tossing a lot of lamps at your face and I really don't have the money to be buyin’ all the lamps in Ponyville."

"Aw shucks." She said, seemingly deflating.

"Anyways, seems to me like I didn't break your nose or anything, your just bleeding everywhere. I got the majority of it up but you might want to wash your face to get the rest of it."

"Thanks." She said as she trotted over to the sink, splashing water on her face.

"So what were you two doing sleeping together anyways?" She asked playfully.

"Not what you wha..Whump!" I was cut off as I was tackled from behind.

"Why were you and my sister sleepin’ together now?!" Demanded a deep southern voice coming from the large red horse who was standing on my back.