• Published 22nd May 2019
  • 836 Views, 55 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Principal Cinch - CapNTilfy



Abacus Cinch. As the Headmistress of Crystal Prep Academy, she does whatever it takes to win... whatever it takes. Eighth and final book of Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games.

  • ...
4
 55
 836

A Much-Needed Distraction

As Abacus neared Crystal Prep, she had noticed Sunny Flare about to enter. An idea formed in the Headmistress' mind. Perhaps she could "motivate" the student.

"Sunny Flare!"

Sunny turned around, then looked back, as though she was distracted momentarily. With a shrug, she turned back to Abacus as the Headmistress caught up to her. "Yes, Principal Cinch?"

"You have my condolences, Sunny Flare." said Cinch.

Sunny's jaw dropped and paused, clearly surprised. "I'm sorry, Principal Cinch...condolences?"

"Oh, Sunny Flare, you don't need to hide your pain from me. I heard your boyfriend died in a car crash."

The student appeared to waver. "Ah...I see." She looked away with sadness in her eyes.

"It's always sad to lose the ones we hold so dear. But I assume like any good man, he would want you to move on with your life." Abacus said.

Sunny nodded. "I loved him with all of my heart. And I know that me moving on is what he would want."

Cinch put her hand on the student's shoulder. "That's good to hear." she said with a smile. "Perhaps if you were to try out for the Friendship Games you might find fulfillment and come one step closer to moving on."

Sunny broke, falling into the Headmistress' arms.

"It's okay, Sunny Flare." said Cinch, patting her on the back. "You have an appointment with Crystal Clarity soon, correct?" Still crying, Sunny looked up and nodded her head, then buried it into the Headmistress' chest. A few minutes had passed before she stopped. Cinch looked her in the eyes with an expression of sincerity. "Try out for the Friendship Games. Do it for him." she said, her voice calm and soothing. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have other business to attend to."

Sunny nodded and smiled. "I will. Thank you, Principal Cinch!"

The Headmistress made her way to her office with a smile.

---------------------------------------------

Time passed as Abacus worked her hardest, trying not to think of the questions her dream left her with. Before she knew it, it was time for the tryouts.

The Headmistress left her office and waited in a large room as multitudes of students entered. Within minutes, Dean Cadance arrived with test papers. With a nod, she spoke. "This first round of tryouts will involve academics." Nearly half of the students groaned.

"The hell did you guys expect, moto-cross racing?!" Sour Sweet shouted.

Abacus pinched the bridge of her nose. If Sour Sweet wasn't such a good student in terms of grades... "As I was saying...the first round of tryouts will involve academics. The top fifty scores will move on to the next round. To your seats!" All students went to their seats. "And...begin!" said Cinch.

Within moments, the room fell silent, save for the barely audible sounds of writing. The Headmistress sighed with a smile. This was what she needed to relax. Peace, quiet, and students putting their brains to good use: furthering her reputation.

After a while, Abacus felt that enough time had passed. "Pencils down!" The sound of pencils clattering filled the room. "The results of these tests will be posted later today in the hallways," she said as Dean Cadance went to pick up the tests. "Dismissed!"

----------------------------------------------

After Abacus posted the results in the hallway, she made a mental note of all the students that failed the test. She would have to take disciplinary measures to set them straight. This wasn't a prestigious academy for nothing, after all! With all of that settled, the Headmistress went back into her office and poured herself into her work.

----------------------------------------------

Later that day, Abacus went out to the track with a stopwatch and clipboard, waiting for the students. She closed her eyes and enjoyed a fresh breeze with a sigh. Perhaps she should read outside the next chance she got. The remaining students gradually arrived along with Dean Cadance, and the Headmistress began.

"As you've all no doubt realized, this tryout will be physical. The top eleven fastest lap times will move on to the Friendship Games."

There were murmurs of excitement among the students.

"Sour Sweet," Abacus called out.

Sour grinned, then exchanged words with Lemon Zest and took her position. This caused the Headmistress to raise an eyebrow. They were at each other's throats the last time they were in proximity of each other... she shrugged it off. "Go!" The student ran as fast as she could. At least she was putting all of that anger to good use for once. When she reached the finish line, Abacus hit the watch again.

Sour Sweet walked back to Lemon and wiped her forehead, then spoke to her with a nudge and a smile, further confusing the Headmistress.

How could these two have possibly developed a rapport so quickly? Abacus shook her head quickly. As long as it didn't interfere with the Friendship Games, she could care less what they did.

"Lemon Zest!", she called out.

Lemon smiled, then got up and took her mark. She did some stretches, then fiddled with her musical device. "Time to pucker up and fuck her up!"

Abacus raised an eyebrow.

"What? I consider it a motivational phrase!" Lemon laughed sheepishly.

Abacus rolled her eyes. Perhaps she should make a rule to curb such language... "Go!"

Lemon ran furiously, then stumbled forward once she finished.

"Indigo Zap!"

Indigo grinned, then slowly lowered her goggles. "Let's do this!"

"Go!"

Abacus watched Indigo run the track. One of the more reckless and impulsive students of Crystal Prep
, she thought. Were it not for her grades and athleticism, I'd have had her expelled long ago...

Indigo finished, then collapsed as her legs gave out.

"Sugarcoat," she called out.

The Headmistress took note of Sugarcoat, who got up and glared at another top student. At least someone was getting into the competitive spirit of things around here.

"Go!"

Sugarcoat did her lap, nearly falling over once she finished. The other student... Neon Lights, Abacus recalled, had run to the girl and started helping her up.

The Headmistress snorted. Sugarcoat could have gotten up with her own strength.

"Neon Lights!"

Neon took his mark.

"Go!"

----------------------------------------------

Once all the students were finished, Abacus smiled. The top eleven students were perfect. She posted the results, then left them where they could be seen. With a sigh of satisfaction, she made her way to her office.

"S... B... I... U..."

The Headmistress ignored the letters, and went about finishing her day.

----------------------------------------------

Abacus Cinch spent the rest of her day doing calming and relaxing things such as meditation and reading when she returned home. Yet, as she closed her eyes for the night, she could feel a nagging sensation that there was more madness waiting for her in her dreams.