• Published 22nd May 2019
  • 836 Views, 55 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Principal Cinch - CapNTilfy



Abacus Cinch. As the Headmistress of Crystal Prep Academy, she does whatever it takes to win... whatever it takes. Eighth and final book of Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games.

  • ...
4
 55
 836

Fragments

Author's Note:

Two days until the Friendship Games...

Abacus Cinch sat still as she tried to process the end of her dream as her head buzzed with activity. How on earth did she know that voice was her mother's? It may have been a dream, but even after awakening, she knew in her heart whose voice that had been.

But why? And how? Cinch sighed and put a hand on her forehead. Should she investigate this and risk going further down a path that she believed would only lead to more madness and misery? Or would she ignore it for a temporary respite, only for it to return forcefully in the future?

Neither option was to her liking.

Damned if I do, and damned I don't, Abacus thought with another sigh. Why couldn't the world be more black and white?

Even if she chose to investigate this issue, Abacus had no idea where to start! Anybody who might have known her mother were either silenced, bribed, or outright killed!

With a grunt of frustration, Abacus got out of bed. It would not do to dwell on the matter for too long. She dare not risk a breakdown while at Crystal Prep Academy.

A temporary respite it was, then. But not too long of a respite. With the matter settled, albeit for the time being, Abacus got dressed and left.


Abacus arrived at Crystal Prep after avoiding the graveyard again. She had no doubt that keeping herself away from her father's resting place wouldn't get any easier.

She thanked the universe that she wasn't a heavy drinker, then headed straight for her office.

Once inside, Abacus ran a hand through her hair and went to work.

As time passed, Abacus noticed that even the outdoor ambiance was doing little to ease her troubled mind. It felt as though something was trying to break through a barrier she hadn't-

"I warned you. I gave you several chances to back out, my child."

Abacus' eyes widened in shock. Had her nightmares been more than just dreams?

The sound of gunfire echoed in her mind, and she shuddered. Nasty, ghastly things, guns were!

With the clenching of her teeth, Abacus forced herself... willed herself to focus intently on her work. If she was meant to have a breakdown, she would do so outside of the confines of Crystal Prep! It would not do to see her subordinates and students witness their Headmistress in such a state! She was Abacus Cinch! A pillar of strength!

"Abacus... how could you?"

Something within Abacus started to break. Her breathing quickened as she balled her hands into fists. She closed her eyes and gradually evened out her breathing. A distraction would be rather welcome at this point...

Now that she was calmer, Abacus continued going about her business until she saw a stray sheet of paper on her desk. With a raised eyebrow, she picked it up. Her desk was normally tidy, even in the middle of a work day. How could she have missed that? She adjusted her glasses, then examined it.

Competitors for the Friendship Games
Indigo Zap
Lemon Zest
Sour Sweet
Sugarcoat
Sunny Flare
Neon Lights
Trenderhoof
Suri Polomare
Jet Set
Upper Crust
Royal Pin

Eleven? But both sides needed twelve people each! Abacus put a hand to her forehead. Where on earth has her mind been? Had the nightmares she suffered affected her mind that much? With a quick shake of her head, she sighed. The ideal candidate came to mind almost immediately. It was, to put it colloquially, a no-brainer.

Twilight Sparkle. The most gifted student Abacus had seen in years. Never had she seen a student with such knowledge grace her school! Twilight was, without a doubt, the academic best of the best. And yet, she didn't show up for the tryouts, which likely meant she would not be willing to take part of her own accord. It would seem that Abacus would have to do some... "convincing" for her prized pupil.

Abacus scratched her head. She would have to find a weak point. Something she could exploit. Something... she snapped her finger. Of course! Twilight often spoke of the Everton Independent Study Program! A plan formed in Abacus' mind, and a sinister grin formed on her face...


The day was at an end, and Abacus Cinch left her office. Now that the roster was officially full, she would have to assemble the team. Or rather, have someone else assemble the team for a meeting. Abacus would be far too busy to undertake that task. But who? As she neared the exit, she noticed a pale yellow student walk towards the doors as her rose and green ponytail bobbed up and down with her movements.

"Sour Sweet."

"Yes, Principal Cinch," Sour Sweet asked without turning around.

"I would like you to assemble all twelve team members tomorrow for a meeting."

Sour turned around, revealing a confused expression. "Twelve? I thought there were only eleven of us."

"There were, but something tells me Twilight Sparkle may take an interest in joining."

"Oh, really," asked Sour Sweet. "Well, the more the merrier," she said cheerfully. "I just hope she doesn't ruin everything!"

Abacus raised an eyebrow. "Indeed. That is all."

Sour Sweet walked away and out the exit.

"Any... zz?"

"S... Abby... I... You..."

The gunshot again rang through Abacus' mind, causing her to grab her head. Quickly regaining her composure, she scanned the halls in the hopes that her sudden flinch went unnoticed. Upon seeing empty halls, she nodded in satisfaction and went home.


Abacus reached her room with a sigh. All things considered, the day had not been kind to her. The constant echoes, the panicking, and her self-doubt. She wasn't going to fool herself, though. She would still have to suffer the same damnable nightmare tonight. However, Abacus knew that she'd wake up recovered. She was just like her father, after all: one tough and mean son of a bitch.

Abacus changed into her pajamas, then went under the covers and turned off the light.