• Published 22nd May 2019
  • 836 Views, 55 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Principal Cinch - CapNTilfy



Abacus Cinch. As the Headmistress of Crystal Prep Academy, she does whatever it takes to win... whatever it takes. Eighth and final book of Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games.

  • ...
4
 55
 836

Another Memory (V2)

Author's Note:

One week until the Friendship Games...

It was Friday morning, and Abacus Cinch was paying another visit to her father's grave. The Headmistress' eyes darted around as she struggled to think of something to say. Her uneasiness grew as the silence continued, and she finally decided to reminisce.

Letting out a sigh of relief, the Headmistress spoke up. "Father... do you remember the day I became Principal?"

----------------------------------------------

Abacus Cinch arrived at Crystal Prep Academy far earlier than normal. She would visit her father's grave later on in the day. Truth be told, the time of day when she visited didn't matter. The future Headmistress entered her office, then sat at her computer with her chin cupped in thought. The letter would have to be convincing... regret should be laced in each word to evoke sadness. Amore was the type that didn't want people worrying about her, but at the same time was always apologetic when people did. An idea came to her, and she began typing...

----------------------------------------------

Some time later, Abacus went downstairs to the student paper office and handed in the letter to Upfront Sizzle, the student paper editor-in-chief. "Print this, if you please," she said softly.

Upfront took the letter and glanced over it. He did a double take, then looked at Cinch with alarm, confusion, then eventually sadness.

Abacus gave the young man her best sympathetic smile. "I understand," she said, gesturing to herself. "I, too, had the same reaction when she called and told me."

"I... I see."

"Amore would really appreciate if you printed it, and it would mean a lot to me as well," Cinch said as she put a hand on Upfront's shoulder.

The editor-in-chief nodded, still dumbstruck.

"Thank you." Abacus turned her back and left the room in order to pack her things to move into her new office.

----------------------------------------------

Abacus Cinch arrived and began to get everything set for her move, when her telephone rang. She picked it up. "Abacus Cinch speaking."

"I trust the deed has been done," asked a raspy voice.

The soon-to-be Headmistress smiled. "It has, father."

"Good. Thank you for defending my legacy."

"You're quite welcome."

"So... how does it feel, my child?"

Abacus' smile grew wider. "I must admit, the feeling of becoming Principal is rather exhilarating."

"That is not what I meant. I meant how does it feel, knowing you killed someone?"

Abacus fell silent for a moment as her smile disappeared. "It is... not something I would care to repeat."

Sombra's voice softened. "I understand, my child. Not everyone can carry the weight of blood on their hands."

"Thank you, father."

Sombra's voice went back to its original tone. "What I do not understand, however, is why you decided to tell the student body that Amore retired as opposed to her death."

"As you said, 'not everyone can carry the weight of blood on their hands'. And you know how I feel about death, father."

"That does not answer my question, my child."

Abacus sighed. "Quite frankly, I would rather not be known as a murderer. I would prefer to be known as the Headmistress of Crystal Prep Academy, and nothing less."

"Well said. But remember, death comes to us all. It is just as much an inevitability of life as it is a part of it."

"Yes. I know."

"One last thing before I leave you to your devices."

"Yes," Abacus asked.

"Are you not worried that the students will wonder why Amore suddenly "retired"?"

The new Headmistress smirked. "Oh, I'm quite certain they will. Even if at least one of them came to the conclusion that she passed away, they would have no proof. It would be a rumor, and I could easily quash it if I so chose without raising suspicion."

A dark chuckle escaped from Sombra's lips. "You truly are my daughter, Abacus. I am proud of you."

"Thank you, father."

"Enjoy your tenure as Headmistress, my child."

Abacus grinned widely. "I shall." She hung up the phone.

----------------------------------------------

Some time had passed since Abacus went to work on her packing, and there was a knock on her door. "Yes? Come in."

The door opened to reveal a forlorn Superintendent Neighsay. "Is... is it true? What Amore wrote?"

Cinch put on her best sympathetic face. She had to keep up appearances, after all. "Yes... I am afraid it is." The Headmistress walked up to Neighsay. "I would have told you sooner, but she simply called me out of the blue."

The Superintendent slammed his hands on Cinch's desk, causing her to jump. He sighed heavily. "You will have to forgive me." He looked the new Headmistress straight in the eyes, tears falling as he shook with emotion. "Amore... was a good Headmistress. She will be missed."

Abacus smiled warmly. "Your courage in doing your job during this trying time is commendable, Neighsay."

"I must admit, it is becoming a challenge to keep my emotions at bay. However, I mustn't shirk my duty as Superintendent. It's..." Neighsay turned his head slightly as his voice wavered again. "I-It's what Amore would want."

Cinch put a hand on the Superintendent's shoulder. "Perhaps you should take a break. Get some fresh air."

"Yes," Neighsay said as he began to walk away. "Perhaps I should. Good day... Principal Cinch."

As the door closed behind her, Abacus resumed her packing, eagerly anticipating being in her rightful place as Headmistress.

----------------------------------------------

The Headmistress sighed, recalling that day as one of the happiest in her life. The student body seemed to have accepted the story of Amore's 'retirement', her transition from Dean to Principal was smooth and seamless... Since that day, everything had gone swimmingly for her.

"I hope I have been doing you proud, father."

Abacus's phone went off, and she checked it, then pocketed it.

"Well, I suppose it's back to Crystal Prep Academy for me." She smiled. "I shall see you again tomorrow."

The Headmistress walked back to her car, eager for what the day had to bring.