• Published 22nd May 2019
  • 836 Views, 55 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Principal Cinch - CapNTilfy



Abacus Cinch. As the Headmistress of Crystal Prep Academy, she does whatever it takes to win... whatever it takes. Eighth and final book of Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games.

  • ...
4
 55
 836

Influence and Reputation

Author's Note:

The Friendship Games are tomorrow...

Abacus flushed her toilet, then got up and looked at herself in the mirror. Her face had paled from her revelatory dream, and she shuddered at the recollection of her mother's lifeless body. Why all of this now, just a day before the Friendship Games?!

Abacus sighed heavily as she put a hand to her forehead. She almost wished she didn't find out the ugly, ugly truth. And yet, she valued knowledge greatly. Knowledge was a powerful asset, and one of the tools she had used to further her influence and reputation.

Unfortunately for her, this knowledge would do nothing but cause her to suffer throughout the day. With another sigh, she got dressed and headed to Crystal Prep.


Abacus arrived at her office and sat down and simply stared at the work laid before her. The sound of gunfire rang through her mind and the image of her deceased mother resurfaced.

"Damn this wretched mess," she muttered under her breath.

A knock at the door caused Abacus to jump. She grit her teeth and formed a fist, nearly pounding it on her desk. She forced herself to calm down, then spoke. "Yes? Come in."

The door opened to admit Sour Sweet.

"Ah, Sour Sweet. What brings you up here?"

Sour stood still for a moment, as though she was deep in her thoughts. With a quick shake of her head, she snapped out of it. "Yesterday you told me to get all of my teammates, but you didn't tell me when to do so or where to assemble them."

Abacus sighed. Another mental slip up? Within the same week? "I suppose you're right. Very well then, how about this: gather everyone in a room of your choice during lunch."

Sour smiled. "That works for me. That's all I wanted to know. Thank you!" With that, she left and closed the door behind her.

Abacus formed a fist again and pounded it on her desk. What on earth had gotten into her lately? First those damnable nightmares and auditory hallucinations, and now her mental faculties seemed to be declining?!

Her eyes widened in horror as one thought occurred to her. It was just a small thought at first, but it grew rapidly.

...What if she was experiencing the early stages of dementia??

Abacus shook her head. No. This couldn't be happening. She wasn't going to die in the same, long-winded manner her father did!

Abacus put her hands on her desk, then took a deep breath and exhaled. She was in control. She had to be in control. With a grunt of exertion, she got straight into her work.


In the midst of her working, Abacus checked the time. She blinked in surprise. Time did indeed fly when one focuses hard on a task. She picked up her phone and began to dial Dean Cadance's extension, then stopped as an idea occurred to her.

Didn't Twilight Sparkle have an older brother that once attended? A smile formed on Cinch's lips. Surely she would join the team if her application to the Everton Independent Study Program was put at risk... but it wouldn't hurt to have some extra insurance.

Abacus dialed Twilight's home number.

"Hello," asked a male voice.

"Good afternoon, Mister Sparkle. Is Shining Armor available? I wish to speak with him..."


After the call, Abacus smiled. Everything was coming together. Now all she had to do was get Twilight up into her office. SHe dialed Cadance's extension.

"Hello?"

"Cadance. Could you bring Twilight Sparkle up to my office?"

Cadance took a deep breath and sighed. "Of course, Principal Cinch." She paused for a moment. "Is there anything else?"

"That will be all," Abacus said, then hung up.

Crystal Prep Academy would sail to victory even without Twilight Sparkle on their team, but the more brain power, the better. All to put those upstarts at Canterlot High back in their place. They needed to be shown that a sudden surge of overall improvement would change nothing, and that Crystal Prep always wins.

There was a knock on Abacus' door, bringing her back to reality.

"Come in."

The door opened, and in stepped a young man with light grey skin. He ran a hand through his dark blue hair, which sported lighter blue streaks in various spots. As he was told, he came wearing his old Crystal Prep uniform. Coming in just behind him was Dean Cadance as he closed the door.

"Ah, Shining Armor! Good to see you again!" Cinch smiled. "Now then, all that's left is..."

The door to Abacus' office began to open, and her smile widened as she turned around in her chair. She would let Dean Cadance and Shining Armor talk to Twilight first. Then, when the time was right, she would chime in and go from there...


Abacus watched as Twilight left her office. Everything went swimmingly! Now that she was alone again, she went back to work.

Suddenly, a gunshot echoed in her mind, causing her to stop. Abacus shook her head rapidly, then continued.

"Abby... I love you."

Abacus' breathing became uneven. No. She would not let this beat her. She was stronger than that!

The stone cold face of her father appeared in her mind's eye.

"Any last words?"

"Yes... Abby, I love you."

A lump rose in Abacus' throat. She... she had to fight this. S-She was stronger than this...

The gunshot sounded again, and Abacus buried her head in her hands and slowly broke down. Tears she had held back for who knows how long began to flow, and she couldn't stop herself. With each sob she hoped so desperately that no staff or student would walk in on her in such a low state. Each minute felt like an eternity as her tears fell onto her desk.

Some time later, Abacus regained her composure and thanked whatever higher power there was that was alone the whole time. Feeling better, if only marginally, she went back to work.


Abacus glanced at her clock in her office, and heaved a sigh of relief. The day was nearly over, and were it not for the ordeal she had been suffering, it would have been perfect. She left her office and went straight home.

Once Abacus arrived, she made a beeline for her room. She could use some rest after the day she had had! She changed into her pajamas and got into bed...

...only to find she would be unable to fall asleep.