• Published 22nd May 2019
  • 836 Views, 55 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Principal Cinch - CapNTilfy



Abacus Cinch. As the Headmistress of Crystal Prep Academy, she does whatever it takes to win... whatever it takes. Eighth and final book of Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games.

  • ...
4
 55
 836

Abacus' Saturday

Author's Note:

Six days until the Friendship Games.

It was now Saturday morning, and Abacus Cinch stood before her father's grave with a heavy sigh. "Father," she said. "I am loathe to admit it, but..."

As the Headmistress spoke of her revelations, a memory came to the forefront of her mind...

----------------------------------------------

A teenage Abacus Cinch entered her father's office at Crystal Prep Academy. The dark grey walls were lined with pictures of Sombra shaking hands with high-profile people, diplomas that he had earned over the course of his life, and one or two pictures of himself with her. In each corner of the office sat a bookcase, filled with the latest books on psychology, sociology, and other various subjects. The scent of coffee and musk filled her nostrils as the future Headmistress reached the desk in the office.

"Father, why have you called me here?"

"Abacus, my child!" Sombra grinned widely as his shaggy black hair followed his head. "I have decided to create an event in collaboration with Canterlot High!"

Cinch blinked, then folded her arms as she raised an eyebrow. "Canterlot High? That low-class school with all of the plebeians?"

"Indeed!"

Cinch scratched her head in confusion. What was her father up to? He never did anything on impulse. Everything he did had a reasoning behind it...

"Think about it," Sombra said, pointing to his head. "Crystal Prep Academy is the best school in town, is it not?"

Cinch nodded. "It is."

"Then what better way to show that in a competition?"

Realization dawned on the future Headmistress. "I see..."

"Furthermore, what better way to gain approval from Canterlot High than giving it a deceptively innocent name?"

"Like what?"

"...The Friendship Games. And it'll be held every three years."

"Why three years? Why not just annually?"

Sombra laughed. "Simple, my child. To prove that no matter how long a gap in time between games, Crystal Prep will always win."

----------------------------------------------

Co-founding the Friendship Games was just another thing Abacus' father did that she was grateful for. Crystal Prep never had and never will lose. Not if the Headmistress had anything to say about it! She sighed heavily. "In conclusion... I will consider finding an heir... after the Friendship Games," she said. "Now if you will excuse me, I must be going. Good day."

The Headmistress walked to her car and started it. As she did, she began her weekend routine by turning the radio on to classical music. Abacus had to keep her mind sharp. Her position practically required it, after all. A quick trip to the library to pick up some books on subjects she knew little about, then she'd be back home.

----------------------------------------------

Abacus returned from her errands and walked inside. She ran a hand through her hair and headed straight towards her study. Upon reaching said study, she took a deep breath, then exhaled.

The walls of the medium-sized room were cobalt blue, a calming color. Bookshelves lined each wall, containing books she had read enough times to have each one memorized from cover to cover. A large window was at the end of the room, to let fresh air in.

The Abacus' mind needed to be clear. Free of distractions. She sat down in front of the window, took out one of the books she borrowed...

...and began to read furiously. The Headmistress' mind focused solely on her task, taking very few breaks in between. Time passed quickly as Abacus finished book after book.

By the time the Headmistress finished her fifth book, she noticed that the sun had begun to set. She blinked in surprise, then gave a satisfied sigh. Another day well spent expanding her mind. She arose from the chair with a stretch, then left her study.

As Abacus put her finished library books next to the garage door, she began wondering how to go about getting an heir. She may have told her father she'd consider it at the very least, but that was her pride talking more than the Headmistress herself.

Abacus would rather not let love tie her down, and she certainly didn't want to engage in sexual acts with a stranger, which led her to one option: adoption. She would need time to do research... perhaps tomorrow, if she had time after finishing the rest of her books. The child would have to be young enough to easily mold in her image, but not so young that she wouldn't be awakened every hour. The Headmistress made a mental note to herself to find books on a child's formative years the next time she visited the library.

Abacus cracked her neck and did a couple of stretches before she made her way to her room. She shut off all the lights on her way, then entered.

The Headmistress changed into her pajamas, then got into bed. She glanced at her clock. There was more than enough time for her to do a few puzzles or more. She crawled over to her nightstand, grabbed a puzzle book, then got started.

Puzzle after puzzle was completed until Abacus began to feel tired. She returned the puzzle book to her nightstand, then turned off the light and gradually fell asleep.