• Published 22nd May 2019
  • 836 Views, 55 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Principal Cinch - CapNTilfy



Abacus Cinch. As the Headmistress of Crystal Prep Academy, she does whatever it takes to win... whatever it takes. Eighth and final book of Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games.

  • ...
4
 55
 836

Father and Daughter

Author's Note:

Four days until the Friendship Games...

Abacus woke up, panting as sweat ran down her forehead. Those damned dreams of hers were becoming increasingly worse, and she had suffered more than enough! This madness had to end... but how? She heaved a sigh as she put a hand to her forehead, then got out of bed and dressed.

----------------------------------------------

The Headmistress got into her car with a sigh. She didn't want to show weakness to her father, dead or alive! And yet, something deep in the back of her head was bothering her. If there was ever anyone she truly trusted in her life, it was her father. Abacus grunted in frustration. This introspection wouldn't get her closer to the answers she had been increasingly keen on finding! She started the car, and a stray memory surfaced...

----------------------------------------------

A young Abacus Cinch was sitting on a chair in her father's home office.

The walls were a cobalt blue, decorated with various awards Sombra had earned through his career, and bookcases lined the walls. Walls that seemed to close in on Abacus as she shook with terror. Something positively dreadful had happened, and she was taking great pains to keep herself from screaming.

Sombra gazed at his daughter. "I warned you," he said in a near whisper as he shook his head slowly. He then paced back and forth, wondering what to do about the situation. "I gave you several chances to back out, my child."

Abacus continued shaking in her chair, avoiding eye contact with her father.

Sombra grit his teeth with a growl of frustration. "Why didn't you listen to me?" He looked back at his daughter and noticed the fearful look in her eyes, which caused his expression to soften somewhat. He sighed heavily, then walked on over to her.

Abacus continued shaking, unable to speak. Oh, what she would give to forget! Why didn't she listen to her father?! If she had only known then... She began to feel a lump in her throat as Sombra neared her. "F...F-Father..."

The Principal slowly and calmly walked up to his daughter, then gently placed his hands on her arms. "Abacus, my child. I am so sorry you saw that, but maybe next time you'll listen to me when I warn you."

The young girl slowly nodded her head, then swallowed the lump in her throat. "I-I w-will."

Sombra closed his eyes. He didn't like seeing his daughter suffer so. With a nod of his head, he made a decision. He opened his eyes and looked Abacus straight in hers. "What I am about to do here is not to be discussed with anyone," he said in the gravest of tones. "Are we crystal clear on this?"

Abacus took a deep breath, then shuddered. "Yes, father." She was ready for whatever punishment she was about to receive...

...Only to feel a hug from her father.

"My child. I have taught you well. Perhaps too well."

The young girl blinked in confusion.

"Ever since you were old enough to speak, I taught you to never show weakness to anyone. Not even me."

Abacus nodded.

"I am starting to think that should change, given what just happened."

The lump in the young girl's throat returned, stronger than before.

"Starting today, I... I will allow you to do so. But only so long as it is just you and me. Nobody else." Sombra tightened the hug. "I do not say this lightly, my child, and nobody should..."

The Principal took a deep breath, then exhaled as he heard his daughter sniffle.

"...I love you."

Abacus broke almost instantly, wailing in her father's arms.

----------------------------------------------

The Headmistress reached the graveyard, taking great pains to keep her emotions in check. She opened her glove compartment, then took out a few tissues. Where in the name of the universe did that memory come from, she thought as she dried her cheeks. One would think such an important and formative memory would be more prevalent in one's mind!

Abacus disposed of the tissues, then turned her head in the direction of her father's gravestone, which was off in the distance. Would she dare bring this up to him, risking a public breakdown? Granted, this was an acceptable place to be emotional, but she had a reputation to uphold!

The Headmistress stayed in the car momentarily, then nodded. Perhaps telling him would help with solving this conundrum she had been having. Witnesses be damned! With a steel resolve, she got out of the car, and headed to her father's grave.

----------------------------------------------

A while later, Abacus returned to her car. She was weary from her sudden, though not unexpected, intense cathartic release. Thankfully, nobody seemed to notice or care that she had a breakdown. And what a needed breakdown it was! Though emotionally drained, the Headmistress felt quite a bit better. All she needed now was some sort of distraction to keep herself occupied...

Abacus' eyes widened. Of course! How could she have forgotten? The tryouts for the Friendship Games were today! A welcome diversion that couldn't have possibly come at a better time. Feeling reinvigorated, she started her car...

----------------------------------------------

The Headmistress parked in her usual spot with a smile. Competition. The strong crushing the weak. The best of the best. She got out of the car and took a deep breath, then sighed. Something in her soul told her today was going to be a good day. Yet, despite her excitement, two questions kept circling in her head when she left the graveyard: Why was that memory forgotten for so long...

...and what did she see?