• Published 22nd May 2019
  • 836 Views, 55 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Principal Cinch - CapNTilfy



Abacus Cinch. As the Headmistress of Crystal Prep Academy, she does whatever it takes to win... whatever it takes. Eighth and final book of Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games.

  • ...
4
 55
 836

Internal Conflict

Author's Note:

Three days until the Friendship Games...

Abacus woke up, panting. Her heart was racing from the ghastly nightmare she had just had! She put her hand to her chest as she fought to regain her breath. Was there nothing she could do to stave off that nightmare?! With a frustrated grunt, the Headmistress got up off of her bed and got into the shower.

Once out of the shower, the Headmistress sighed heavily. It seemed that calming herself was not enough to stave off the nightmares. If she only knew the root of it all, then she could get to solving this madness!

As Abacus got dressed, she shuddered at the thought of going to the graveyard.

...Wait. Perhaps there was a ray of hope after all! The Headmistress' severe fear of death could have something to do with all of this!

And yet, she made a promise to her father to visit every day unless she was physically unable to. Abacus sat down on her bed and cupped her chin in thought. For many years, she had braved the graveyard. Would she dare break the promise she made on his deathbed?

Indeed, her father would not know if she skipped out, but the guilt she would feel could potentially be all-consuming! At the same time, however, she had become increasingly paranoid over death. Going for a visit would most certainly not help matters.

Abacus took her phone and checked the time. If she was going to make a decision, she'd have to do so on the way. She would either end up arriving at the cemetery on time, or earlier than normal at Crystal Prep Academy. She hurried down the stairs, then got into her car.

"Abacus, my child."

The Headmistress gulped.

"S... B... I... U..."

She turned the ignition key as she felt a wave of anxiety creep up. Normally, self-preservation was her number one priority. When it came to her father, however...

"Abacus, my child."

"S... B... I... U..."

"Oh, for the love of the universe," Abacus muttered under her breath. It was bad enough to have one mentally damaging cycle repeating in her mind. She took a deep breath, steeled herself, then drove off.

The Headmistress thanked her lucky stars that she was still sane, even after all that had befallen her over the course of the past few days.

However much longer that will last, she thought.

"Abacus, my child."

"S... B... I... U..."

Abacus grit her teeth in frustration, then turned her car's radio on. Classical music began to play, creating a slightly soothing effect on her. She'd be damned if she had another mental breakdown while on the road!

Over and over the words and letters repeated, and the Headmistress was able to keep herself calm, if only just barely. Her eyes widened as she neared the intersection that would lead her to the graveyard.

This was it. she had to make a choice now. Would she got to the cemetery, or would she go straight to Crystal Prep Academy, forsaking a promise to a deceased parent? Abacus cursed under her breath. She would be damned either way. With a choice made, she took a deep breath...

...and passed the turn for the graveyard.

An intense pang of guilt hit the Headmistress, causing her to yelp and nearly stop her car. She could practically hear the disappointment in her father's voice.

"Abacus, my child... how could you?"

Another pang of guilt struck, and Abacus pulled over. She panted as the words echoed in her mind.

"How could you?"

"F... Father. F-Forgive me..." She hung her head in shame, but the truth of the matter was that she had had more than her fair share of all things death lately. And yet, that was a poor excuse, if one could even consider it such.

Abacus laid her head on her steering wheel, feeling truly empty for the first time since her father passed. In an effort to justify her decision, she reasoned that being around the dead would have only exacerbated her draining mental faculties.

The Headmistress laughed at herself bitterly. Another poor excuse.

"How could you?"

Her choice was made, and despite all the negative feelings... despite all of the guilt and sadness. Despite the fact that she still had time to turn around and go back to the graveyard... she would still go straight to Crystal Prep.

"Damn it all."

Abacus started the car, then finished her journey.