• Published 22nd May 2019
  • 836 Views, 55 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Principal Cinch - CapNTilfy



Abacus Cinch. As the Headmistress of Crystal Prep Academy, she does whatever it takes to win... whatever it takes. Eighth and final book of Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games.

  • ...
4
 55
 836

Distance

Abacus opened her eyes, and a mixture of triumph and apprehension filled her. She had returned to the static void! The white noise filled her ears as she awaited the letters.

"S... B... I... U..."

The sound of gunfire almost immediately followed, causing the Headmistress to scream in alarm.

Silence followed for a moment as Abacus kept her eyes closed, cowering in fear until she thought she heard something far off, in the distance. Lifting her head, she began to concentrate as best she could given the present atmosphere. The Headmistress listened intently, trying to filter out the static.

A very faint murmur that was barely audible to her sounded off in the far distance, with the static making it all the harder to focus on the direction it came from. Abacus cupped her chin in thought. How could she possibly get to the sound? She was floating in the middle of who knows where, and not a solid thing to found! Would she have to swim to get to where she wanted to go?

The Headmistress scoffed. The very idea of her floating about and flailing her arms sounded ridiculous and undignified, even if there was nobody to witness it! And yet... she needed to move forward. Desperate times, and all that. Heaving a sigh, Abacus Cinch swallowed her pride and began flapping her arms in an effort to propel herself forward.

The gunshot sounded again, startling the Headmistress. With a short pause and another deep breath, she continued forward as best she could.

----------------------------------------------

Abacus grit her teeth. She had lost track of time after roughly two and a half hours! ...Or had it been three? Curse this damnable dream! All this time flapping around like a madwoman, screaming with each gunshot after each loop! Had she even made any headway?

The Headmistress closed her eyes in concentration, only for the sound of gunfire to startle her out of it. She flinched, then grit her teeth. She once again closed her eyes, listening intently for several moments.

"S... B... I... U..." The letters repeated, interfering with Abacus' focus. She growled in frustration, then yelped again as the gunshot rang throughout the void.

"Dammit."

She took a deep breath, exhaled, and calmed herself. This was just a dream. She was in no real danger here... wasn't she? Her fear had overtaken her common sense time and time again, and this madness had to stop! Gritting her teeth, she tuned everything out. The static, the letters, and even the gunshot. It took nearly all of her mental faculties to keep focus... only for the Headmistress to realize she was no closer to the sound than she was when she started.

Abacus Cinch roared in frustration, then broke down as the letters sounded off again.

"S... B... I... U..."

"S-Shut up," she bellowed as tears ran down her cheeks. "P... Please..." She put her head in her hands and began sobbing as the loop renewed itself.

Oh, what the Headmistress would give to wake up from the godforsaken nightmare! Every time she suffered through this ordeal, she felt herself inching closer and closer to utter madness! Never mind getting to the bottom of this insanity, she needed to feel safe!

Summoning what little willpower she had left, Abacus forced herself to wake up.