• Published 22nd May 2019
  • 836 Views, 55 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Principal Cinch - CapNTilfy



Abacus Cinch. As the Headmistress of Crystal Prep Academy, she does whatever it takes to win... whatever it takes. Eighth and final book of Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games.

  • ...
4
 55
 836

Valley of Death

Abacus was glad to be awake, but she now had a puzzle on her hands. What on earth did those two letters mean? B and I... were they someone's initials? And that gunshot... the Headmistress shuddered at the recollection. That part of the dream she'd rather not remember for the time being. One thing at a time for now.

Abacus checked her alarm clock and gasped. It was nine o clock! How could she have overslept? She swiftly got dressed, then began to make her way to the garage. She had to hurry to the graveyard!

"...B... I..."

The Headmistress blinked as the letters repeated in her mind, then ignored them. She shook her head with a sigh, then continued onward.

----------------------------------------------

Once in her car, Abacus started the engine and began her journey to see her father as she racked her brain. Did she know anyone with the initials B.I.? Whose voice was saying those letters?

The gunshot sounded in her mind, causing the Headmistress to flinch. No. She needed to stay composed. In control. In all of her years, she had learned not to show weakness to anyone. Not even her father. Abacus steeled herself, gritting her teeth.

"B... I..."

She grunted in frustration, not willing to give an inch as her car neared the graveyard. Sweat began to form on the Headmistress' brow. She would weather this storm, emerge victorious as always, then return home. This wasn't the greatest ordeal she had ever faced, after all.

Abacus took a deep breath, then heaved a sigh as she parked her car near her father's tombstone. She took out a dark blue umbrella and began her journey as the rain continued to fall. "Neither snow, nor rain..." The Headmistress smiled and rolled her eyes as she recalled her early days in the postal service. Imagine her surprise when she found out that was neither their motto nor their policy! She allowed herself a chuckle, lightening her mood as she approached the grave.

Abacus approached her father's grave. "Hello, Father," she said, managing to keep her uneasiness out of her voice.

Don't tell him about the nightmare, don't show weakness.

The Headmistress jumped as a loud bang sounded off, then turned around rapidly and noticed a construction yard a few blocks down. That had always been there, and the banging hadn't bothered her before...

Abacus sighed heavily, then turned her attention back to her father's resting place.

"...B... I..."

She grunted in frustration as she grit her teeth.

Don't show weakness, don't show weakness...

The rain began to let up, and the Headmistress folded up her umbrella as another bang resounded from the construction site, causing her to jump again.

"Dammit," Abacus muttered under her breath. She had to get a hold of herself! On her father's deathbed, she vowed to never, ever show weakness to anyone again! She was superior!

"...B... I..."

Cinch's phone rang, causing her to let out a yelp. Her breathing became erratic as she put a hand to her chest. She allowed herself a low growl in an effort to vent her frustrations as she took it out of her pocket. The Headmistress could use a decent distraction right about now.

Now Calling: Superintendent Neighsay

What on earth could he be calling about?

Abacus took a deep breath, then exhaled as she answered her phone. "Good morning, Superintendent Neighsay," she said with as much of a normal tone as she could muster.

"Abacus..." The Superintendent's voice was solemn, more so than it usually was. "I... regret to inform you that Sunny Flare was involved in a car accident last night with her lover, Rutherford."

It took Cinch a great deal of willpower to keep from losing her grip on her phone.

Death

The Headmistress swallowed a lump she had in her throat. She wanted to hang up and end the conversation right then and there, but she needed to hear someone's voice just to keep herself stable... Abacus forced herself to speak, feeling that if she did not, she would be shirking her duties as Headmistress.

"W-Were there any c-casualties?"

Death all around me

Neighsay heaved a sigh, then spoke after a very uncomfortable silence.

"Rutherford shielded Sunny, taking the brunt of the collision."

Death all around me

Something within Abacus snapped, and her heart began pounding in her chest. "I... I see. Thank you for bringing this to my attention."

"You're welcome." Neighsay hung up.

The Headmistress suddenly became fully aware that she was at a graveyard as opposed to simply speaking to her father.

Death all around me need to leave

"T-Terribly sorry, father, but I fear I must cut this v-visit short. Something came up. I shall see you a-again tomorrow!" With that, Abacus ran to the car.

"...B... I..."
Death all around me

Another bang sounded from the construction site as the Headmistress all but jumped into her car, nearly speeding out of the cemetery. Death was coming after her, she could feel it! She knew she couldn't outrun it, but she was going to fight to keep herself alive for as long as possible, dignity be damned!

The Headmistress began to feel dizzy and short of breath. Oh dear lord, was she going to faint?! Was Death that desperate to embrace her?

Abacus sped up, struggling to keep herself conscious. She had to find somewhere to stop before she blacked out and crashed into something!

"...B... I..."
Death death all around me

The Headmistress reached a highway, then skidded over to the shoulder and stopped. She got out of the car as a massive dizzy spell struck her, disorienting her as the world began to spin rapidly. With nothing to hold on to, Abacus fell. The last thing she heard was a small splash as she felt a slightly cold and damp sensation along her back. This was it... Death had finally come for her.

With no options left to her, Abacus Cinch welcomed the darkness into her vision as she passed out.