• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 388 Views, 9 Comments

To Escape Fate - unbounded



Twilight meets a strange mare who talks of strange phenomena occurring once she eventually ceases to be. But when Twilight did not heed the warnings, something arrived.

  • ...
4
 9
 388

Chapter Three- Moonlit Skies

Fan stumbled into the room after being shoved by the member of the guard. There was no windows, or light at all in the room. He pounded on the cell door to no avail. There was a bathroom and plenty of food and water that arrived when he asked, but he could not bear the silence and the loneliness. Eventually, he felt nothing at all.

Light suddenly flooded Fan's eyes, immediately waking him up. He opened his eyes, looking for anything resembling a threat. There was nothing in his immediate surroundings. What he did notice was an equine creature standing next to him. It seemed to have a yellow coat and pink mane.

"Are you alright? Poor thing, are you hurt?" Said the pink maned pony. Fan took a deep breath. It's ok, it probably another hallucination like normal. It's probably another hallucination from the trauma, this is perfectly normal, He thought to himself.

"Where am I?" Fan asked. The pink maned equine creature tilted its head.

"You can speak? Do you have a name? What kind of creature are you, my name is Fluttershy by the way." Responded the creature now identified as Fluttershy.

"Where am I?" Fan repeated to the creature. Maybe this creature is hard of hearing? Not sure.

"Umm, what do you mean?" Fluttershy said oblivious to the question. Fan narrowed his gaze.

"You are at the outskirts of the Everfree forest." Fluttershy said nonchalantly, as if Fan should have already known.

"Are there any towns nearby?" Fan asked. I've never seen this Everfree thing on any maps, perhaps I'm in the north with the various nomadic clans.

"We're close to Ponyville," said Fluttershy. I've never heard of it, but that makes sense because I've never been here before, Fan thought. I'll ask what country I'm in, maybe I'll find out where I am,

"What country is this?" said Fan. A look of confusion appeared in Fluttershy's unnaturally large eyes, then worry.

"Did you hit your head on the fall? Everypony knows that this is Equestria," said Fluttershy. Wait, what? I know that I sometimes suffer visual hallucinations from the battlefields, but nothing auditory. Wait, did she just say everypony? Ok, I should calm down. I'll ask another question.

"I have a question," Fluttershy nodded her head, then she cowered back behind her mane. "Do you know of the country Qin?"

Fluttershy shook her head. "No, I'm not sure I've heard of it." she said.

"This can't be real. Am I dreaming?" Fan said. He pinched his arm, drawing some blood in the process. He winced in pain. Wait, pain? Auditory hallucinations and pain? Could it be that this isn't a-

Fan's train of thought was cut off by a different source of pain in his left leg. He looked down at his leg and saw Fluttershy running her fore-hoof over it. Fan's leg was swollen and red, also covered in cuts.

"Umm, I hope you don't mind me asking... Is that natural?" Fluttershy asked. Fan stopped and hoped everything crazy would stop happening. Fan started to crawl away from the pony with his arms. Suddenly she pulled out a strange vial containing some sort of liquid, with a needle on the bottom of the vial.

"This will only take a second, it will ease the pain." What is she- The needle was stabbed into his leg. That was the last thing he remembered before going unconscious.


Fan woke up in a room, or at least he assumed it was a room. His leg still hurt, but it was significantly less painful than before. He opened his eyes and took in his immediate surroundings. It seemed he was laying on the floor in some sort of building. He moved his body, there was some weakness in his body, still tired from the strange liquid used on his leg.

Fan sat up to get a better glimpse of his surroundings. There were animals all around him, but they were cowering away from him so he did not register them as a threat just yet. He jumped to his feet, his left foot stung once the impact of the floor came but it was at a level of pain that he could manage.

Fan looked down at his leg and noticed it wrapped in some sort of cloth. Though, he could still pinpoint the locations of the cuts. Strangely, they felt less severe than before.

From the corner of his eye, Fan noticed the animals clear a path for a certain yellow equine creature. Fan got into a defensive fighting stance.

"What did you do to me?" Fan said defensively, but there was not much emotion. Fluttershy backed up a few meters.

"I used a narcotic to bring you back to my home to help you." Fluttershy said sincerely. This did not seem to satisfy Fan, as he got more into his defensive stance.

"Why did you help me?" asked Fan. Fluttershy opened her mouth to respond, but paused briefly in fear.

"I wanted to help you, because I like helping animals, and..." Fluttershy stopped mid sentence. She shifted her gaze away from Fan, avoiding eye contact. It doesn't fell like she's lying, but yet I feel something is still... off.

Fan got out of his fighting stance. Fluttershy backed away, back into the room she came from. Moments later, she came back out holding a tray with various of fruits and vegetables. Fan did not recognize a single one of them.

Naturally, Fan stayed away from the unfamiliar food for the time being. He walked out the door, not one to stay in one place for too long. His leg surpisingly hurt less the longer he walked. Outside of the house was a small creek, which he drank from as soon as he saw it.

He got up from the creek and crossed the bridge, only to hear the voice of Fluttershy behind him.

"Your leg hasn't gotten better yet, maybe stay longer?" Fluttershy said. Fan shook his head.

"I can't." Fan said.

"Why?"

"I need information." Fan's face showed no signs of change, it remained without emotion.

"Oh, well I can help out you need it." Fluttershy said, getting quieter the further into the sentence she went. Fan shook his head to refuse.

"There is no more you can do for me." Fan walked forwards, passing the pony that stood in his way. He stopped right before he passed.

"Why do you really keep all these animals? I don't think you were telling the truth back then. What's the real reason that you care for these creatures?" Fluttershy hid back in her mane.

"I don't know what you're-" Fluttershy was cut off.

"Liar." Fan said. Fluttershy's pupils shrunk. Her eyes started to water a little. The words that came from her mouth were quite unexpected to Fan Fei.

"When I was wandering the outside of the forest, I saw you. Your leg was injured and... I wanted to help you. I went to check on you when you woke up." Fluttershy paused and became eerily calm.

"The way you spoke. You sounded so lost and confused. I pitied you. Yes. That's why I keep all these animals, I pity them. They would have nowhere to go without me. But, that's fine. I enjoy being with them." Fluttershy stopped, on the verge of tears once more. Fan had a strange look on his eyes, Fluttershy couldn't quite place what emotion was displayed in his eyes.

"You are too kind. I have a feeling that trait will be your downfall." Fan left. Or at least Fluttershy thought he did. One moment he was right there, but the next moment... he was gone.

"What was that strange creature? I've never seen anything like it." Was all Fluttershy could say about the events that had unfolded before her.



Ling opened his eyes. He found himself in a meadow of flowers. He looked around the area, there was a forest behind him and when he looked in front of him he saw an awfully colorful bird flying in the distance, it looked as if it was slowly flying towards him.

Yeah, can I get a different dream. Ling thought to himself. He fell back down onto the ground and closed his eyes. When he opened his eyes nothing around him changed. Except the bird was starting to look more like a horse. It was getting rather close. It was so close that he reached out to it.

"Oh, it's just you rainbow horse bird inside my dream." Ling patted the creature on the head and laughed like something was really funny. The creature stopped for a moment, before kicking Ling in the face. "Hey! That hurt-" Ling's thoughts interrupted what he was saying. Wait... It hurts? That means that... this isn't a dream! He thought.

"I'm not a horse bird! I'm a pony!" Said the pony. I've never seen a pony like that! Ling's pupils widened in horror.

"You can speak? But what even are you?" Ling said, trying sound calm, but his heart was racing. He backed away slowly, with a reasonable fear of the unknown. Especially after realizing it probably wasn't a dream.

"Ha! You don't know about me? Rainbow Dash? Fastest flyer in Equestria right here!" The mare said with arrogance. ...In Equestria? Where am I? Ling thought. The creature was waiting for a response but he just sat there dumbfounded. Eventually he came to his senses and had an idea.

"Oh yeah, well I'm Ling! The fastest run away-er you'll never meet, oh hey what's that behind you?" Ling said, looking over Rainbow Dash's shoulder. While turning around she spoke.

"That makes no sense! I just met you and your saying-" Rainbow Dash turned around, and saw Ling running to the forest out in the distance. "Hey! Get back here!" She started flying over immediately.

"I've got to find some people to make sure I'm not going crazy! I'm the most sane person I know! Though that's not really saying much..." He told himself. Ling turned around and saw the rainbow maned Pegasus speedily decreasing the distance between the two of them.

"Ha! You sure are pretty slow for the fastest uh... whatever you are!" Rainbow Dash boasted. She was about to knock Ling over when suddenly, he jumped away at the last moment. The sudden change in direction was surprising for Rainbow Dash as she tried to turn but lost most of her momentum attempting it.

This bought some time for Ling to run some more, but not much. Rainbow Dash seemed to be recovering faster than he anticipated. He eyed the forest with an idea in mind. The forest! I can escape there! Looking behind himself he saw the afterimages of a rainbow rapidly coming at him. Never mind the forest! I wont make it if I continue at this rate, I need to dodge!

Ling jumped to his left in hopes of evading the equine creature. He turned around and saw that it had anticipated his move this time. Crap! Ling thought to himself. The strike that came from the creature caused him to be disoriented and in pain.

"Sorry!" Rainbow Dash said suddenly and stopped. "I kind of just want to know about why your running," She said.

"What do you mean sorry? Aren't you going to eat me?" Ling said, confused about the shift in tone. He got to his feet but didn't move once he was standing.

"Eat you?! Why under Celestia's sun would I eat you? What are you talking about, I'm a pony! Not some creature from the Everfree like you." So, she's not going to eat me? "Why did you come out of there? Is it because the clouds move on their own? Or are the beasts in there so violent you had to run away? Tell me! Hey, are you even listening?" Ling was staring off into the distance of the sky.

Ah, where am I again? Whatever, this is really weird, I hope I'm dreaming. It's so pretty out here. Ling's train of thought was interrupted by a hoof on his shoulder.

"Oh, you're still here." Ling said, a dull look strung across his face. She looked irritated, but nonetheless continued on with her speaking.

"You see the forest, right?" Rainbow Dash asked. Ling was starting to lose focus again. I'm talking to a talking pony, what has my life come to be since that day- She shook Ling's shoulder, redirecting his attention to her. She gave a disapproving look at him.

"Yeah, what about it?" Ling had no idea about anything that would be concerning that forest considering he'd never seen it before.

"What's it like in there? Most creatures from the Everfree would have attacked me without a second thought. But, you ran away from me, not trying to attack me at all, what's your deal?"

"Oh, I don't know." Ling said, avoiding the question.

"C'mon you have to know something!" Oh god she thinks I came from the forest, what do I say. He sat there and thought of what to say for a moment before finally speaking.

"The thing is, its a real scary place in there. Its also so spooky and mysterious that I dont even know myself!" Ling said in a matter of fact tone.

"C'mon tell me, I'll keep it a secret!" Rainbow Dash kept on pushing forwards.

"It can't be helped, it's just that mysterious I guess!" Ling said on a whim.

"Aw come on! Do you at least know where in the Everfree are you from?" She asked, ignorant to Ling's lies.

"No, I mean that I'm not from there, or over there. Or anywhere in there. I don't know where I am. Or where I'm from!" This response was true. There was a moment of silence between the two of them. At least before she broke out laughing.

"Hey, I'm serious!" Ling said. Rainbow Dash continued laughing.

"Oh that funny, you got me! My name is Rainbow Dash! Future wonderbolt, and future fastest flyer in Equestria!" She held out her fore-hoof.

"We already introduced each other, what are you doing?" She continued to hold out her fore hoof and Ling started to feel weird.

"Aw c'mon, it was a joke! Whatever, I'll see you tomorrow! Gotta go and do my job, you and I are going to be good friends!" She turned around and was about to fly off, but Ling spoke.

"Why would I be your friend, I just met you! I don't even know what's going on!" Rainbow Dash turned around and spoke as well.

"I like you because you're funny, therefore your my friend, Ling. Or should I call you hairless monkey!" Ling looked at the Pegasus that was now fading into the distance.

Only one thought crossed his mind. Just who is she calling a hairless monkey!

Ling's stomach grumbled. This didn't surprise him much, it probably the most normal thing he's thought about in a while. Wait a minute, I don't even know where I am! How will I get water? There should be some way to find food, maybe there was something in the books I've read.

Ling thought back to anything he had read recently. ...The Warrior, no that was fiction. Damn, why is it that I've only read fiction recently. His attempts to remember from books was futile.

Then finally he remembered something. "Oh yeah, someone told me when there are plants, there is water somewhere nearby!" He looked around him, instantly noticing the greenery of the forest. I guess it's decided, though they also did tell me no to eat anything I don't recognize.

Ling turned around, and walked into the forest. He was a bit nervous when he first walked in but it got easier to move inside the farther on he walked. He had a growing feeling of unease building up in his chest, but he kept walking forwards.

Ling heard the sound of an animal nearby. Maybe I could catch that creature and use it as food? No, food is good but if I don't drink water I'll dry up like a apple that's left uneaten too long. He did his best to avoid the creature for now, even turning his head away from the source of the noise.

When he turned his head he started to hear a sound. That sound, it sounds familiar. He ran towards the sound and eventually had no doubt of what the sound was. It's, a river! Calling the small creek of water before him a river was an exaggeration, but he was so thirsty he could care less.

After drinking for a bit, Ling started to cough and spit the water out of his mouth. What the?! This is disgusting, I can't believe I just drank it. He decided to drink a little more, just in case.

When Ling lifted his head he saw quite a stunning sight. Standing on top of the hill ahead of him was a tall, magnificent castle. It looked like something out of the fiction that he read in the books of the empty school he used to go to.

Ling could not contain his excitement, he ran up the hill too see the castle. Turns out, it was not as magnificent as he anticipated. It was not as wide as he expected, and looked to be in disrepair. It was still stunningly tall though.

Ling leaned down, and picked up a pebble. He threw the pebble at the ancient structure. Seconds later, it bounced off the building harmlessly, not surprising. He looked around himself, not noticing any creatures or security of any kind. Still, he felt nervous around the structure. It just creeped him out for some reason that he couldn't quite place.


The sun was no longer visible in the sky, it had been a while since it had fallen past the horizon. Ling rolled onto his back and looked up at the night sky. It's nighttime already, I must have lost track of the time. The moon looked strange to Ling for some reason, but everything else looked pretty normal. The moon was already high in the sky, apparently it had been nighttime for a while now.

Ling had never remembered the stars being so vibrant. It was like a painting, he just didn't want to look away.

But then, Ling heard the strangest sound he had ever heard. It was like a terrified scream, but with a low pitches rumbling undertone.

Ling looked away from the stars, and turned to the source of the noise. He didn't think that the source of the noise would be more terrifying than the noise. That expectation was shattered at the sight of a creature several feet tall. It had the body of a feline, but the tail of a scorpion and a bat's wings.

Ling had never ran as fast running away when running from the creature than he had ever ran in his life, not even when escaping from Nanshan did he run so fast. He ran to the door of the castle without hesitation. It didn't budge when he tried pushing or pulling it open.

The thumping of the creature's paws could be felt approaching him. Ling ran to the wall and started climbing as fast as he could. A few feet up he lost his grip on the brick wall.

Ling scrambled to get his footing back, luckily, he was able to get a grip at the last moment. There was an impact against the wall that he had not anticipated. Apparently the creature had hit the wall below him. He lost his grip once more.

Is this It? I worked so hard. Is this what I get.

No, this won't be the end, I refuse.

The creature had its claw swinging towards Ling, he dodged in the air, avoiding the the claws. He used it's head as a footstool, and he jumped back up the wall. This time all the way to the top.

The building did not have a roof in some parts, so he jumped inside through a rather large one nearby. The drop wasn't too high but he felt the impact down in his legs. Surprisingly there were banners on the wall despite the age of the place. He walked up to one and felt it. It feels old, but familiar. He rubbed his hand down it for a minute. Is this silk? He thought.

Suddenly, Ling felt some type of tugging from behind him. It wasn't physical though, it didn't feel like normal. It feels like I'm being pulled back, but pushed forwards at the same time. He thought about the sensation. He turned around and found the source of the energy.

There, in the middle of the room was a bright blue ball, made out of a strange material. The more Ling looked at the anomaly the more it started to look less like a ball and more like an equine shape. A trail from the direction of the sky was flowing into the orb.

Ling was mystified at the strange sight. But he shook his head a few times, he felt as if he was in a trance. He backed away from the sight, acidentally tripping and falling down. There was a door to his left, he scrambled to his feet and opened up the door. Immediately he opened it up and went inside.

Inside the room was a hallway, it was quite dusty inside but mostly avoided by nature, that is if you disregarded the tree growing through it. Despite the stillness of the room, Ling doubted he'd get a good night's rest in there. The strange tugging sensation disappeared from his body, it was replaced by a new sensation.

Ling was not alone. There was a voice heard from the other side of the door.

"It really has been a thousand years! It is good to be back." Whatever was speaking sure sounded happy. I wonder what's going on? Maybe it's another pony. Ling thought. He reached out to pull open the door but he hesitated. What if it's not? He stopped his hand. Maybe, I will listen a little longer. He thought.

Ling was about to lean onto the door when a thought popped into his head. I probably don't wanna lean on this really old door- He tried to stop himself from leaning on it, but it was too late.

There was a snap of the door coming loose from its place on the wall. Then, there was a crash of Ling coming loose from the ground and hitting the ground once again, and landing on top of the door. He looked up and saw a very peculiar looking pony. It had wings like the pony from earlier but it also had a horn on its head. Its mane looked like the midnight sky.

"Umm, pardon the intrusion." Ling said with a sheepish smile on his face. He pointed down the hall and picked up the door, putting it back on and walked into the room awkwardly going back in.

"Halt! Who dares to step foot in my castle?" Ling felt all of his limbs paralyzed as he was dragged back to the throne room of the castle by some mysterious force.

"Well? Answer me!" Said the unknown mare. Ling just responded, there was fear in his voice.

"I thought the place was abandoned! I didn't know you lived here. My name is Ling, what's yours?" He was surprisingly calm during this exchange of words, but there was still fear in his voice.

"What creature are you anyways, you are no pony. Nonetheless, you do not know my name? Has everpony forgotten about I?" Ling just stared at her.

"I'm don't actually know where I am, I'm a human. Also, can you let me go now?" Ling said impatiently.

"Silence! I shall inspire fear in the hearts of Equestria once more! My name is Nightmare Moon! Bringer of the eternal night!" Ling just paused before trying to respond. Before he could, he felt the strange force push him against the back of the throne. The force holding him down only held down his arms and legs now.

There was a moment of silence in the room. Many questions ran through Ling's head. What is going on? Why is this happening to me? That horse must be a bad one if it's treating me like this! He tried moving but his arms and legs seemed to be frozen. He was able to move his face and neck though.

There was a cracking noise behind him, and suddenly he felt the presence of another being. There was no other evidence to back this feeling though, he could not see or hear a sound from whatever was there.

"My magic... It's no use." Ling turned his head to the noise. Someone else is here? the unknown voice continued speaking.

"I forgive you sister. As I did long ago, all that matters is that the real you comes back to me." Ling bit his lip to delay his response. A strange thought came into his head. Who is this person? He kept his mouth shut, at least for the time being that is. There was another crackling sound, this time a voice came that he recognized from before.

"Its been a while, sister. This task should be simple, correct?" The voice was that of Nightmare Moon.

"You are not my sister, Nightmare Moon. Though, I am glad you remembered those messages I sent to the you many moons ago. I assume it's a yes to the deal then?" The unknown voice said. Ling still did not recognize the second voice. But that didn't matter.

"Fine, if they succeed I guarantee that it will be painless for you." Said the second voice. Painless? What does she mean? Ling thought to himself.

"Fine, my life is a small price if it will make sure that my people are safe." The response was much quieter and mellow compared to when Nightmare Moon was talking earlier.

"Have you abolished those unjust laws that I fought against?" There was a silence. Ling was confused.

"It truly is a shame. When the time comes, make it quick, Celestia." Ling sensed malice with the last part spoken to the other individual, who was now identified as Celestia. The mysterious force gripping Ling's arms and legs disappeared. I can move?

There was a silence as Ling fell face first onto the floor. He grunted in pain.

Ling said to nobody in particular.

"Is somepony there? Get out if here! It's dangerous!" Said Celestia. Ling was very confused about the sudden behavior change.

Ling was about to walk out from behind the throne, but was met with a strange feeling of intimidation. This feeling, it feels dangerous. He thought to himself.

Ling looked around and noticed a small hole in the wall next to him. He took the effort to climb in through the small opening. It took quite a bit of effort, but eventually he had removed himself from inside of the building and was now outside of it.

On top of the thick, cobblestone walls of the ancient castle, Ling looked around his surroundings. There was not much to see except for trees. After seeing the view another time he made up his mind. The thought of the strange creature ran through his mind. I guess I'll stay up here for now.

Ling looked up to the sky and saw a tower of the castle, it seemed to be higher than the rest of the roof. A grin seemed to creep it's way onto his face. While the concept excited him, he couldn't help but think about the risk involved. Is the view really worth climbing this tower? I've only climbed trees and small buildings back in Nanshan village. The more he thought, the more discouraged he felt about it.

Ling yawned. He must have been tired considering how strange the day had been for him. Tears welled up in his eyes as he started to think about the day before. My home... I want to go back. It can't be taken away from me like my old home, right? They didn't take my friend? Not him, he's my new family, right? Then why are they all gone? Family sticks with you, right? He paused for a moment.

Ling considered the worst. What if I can never go back and see my new family? He rejected the thought all together. No, that will not happen...

Right?

Ling wiped the tears out of his eyes. He looked up the tower and thought to himself something. A grin seemed to find its way back into his expression. What do I have to lose. I'll climb.

The tower looked less sturdy than he thought now that he was at the foot of it. He still didn't hesitate to start climbing. The foothills on the tower were loose but he didn't care.

Eventually, Ling reached the top. He looked at the area around him. Wow! It's so pretty from up here! Thought Ling. The view was quite the sight to behold, he could see the forest for many miles.

It was quite the sensation to feel, the majestic landscape was nothing like anything Ling had ever seen. A smile was on his face, and tears in his eyes. I wish you would have stayed with me mother, little brother, Jingzi. But, I'm going to have to be all alone now...

In the distance, Ling saw something. It looked odd to him. It didn't look natural at all. The realization about what it was dawned on him. It's a town! Maybe I can ask the people there how I can get back home!

The smile left his face. Oh yeah, I have nothing left to go back to... Ling dangled one of his feet over the side of the tower. I bet nobody would ever find out if I fell from this tower. There was a sad look in his eyes. No, I need to push forwards. Like when I lost mother.

Ling stopped dangling his foot over the edge. He started to climb back down from the tower. Apparently, he wasn't very careful with his descent. The brick he was holding onto broke off the tower.

As Ling fell time seemed to slow. Yet he still fell at a rapid rate. Well, that's too bad. He thought.

Ling's body rotated midair to see the wall of the castle below him. He would hit it in a short moment now.

There was a strange feeling that Ling felt, it was the same feeling as the one he felt before. He had stopped right above the wall. The feeling disappeared after a couple of moments. He landed on the wall with a thud, but was otherwise unharmed.

Ling knew who did this. But that didn't matter. "Why?" He asked the figure behind him, he assumed it was Nightmare Moon.

"I don't want any more creatures getting hurt."

"Why? Aren't you supposed to be the feared ruler of the night?" Questioned Ling.

"I am, it's just-" Nightmare Moon was cut off.

"Then why don't I fear you? Who are you really?" Ling questioned.

Nightmare Moon was silent to Ling's sudden outburst.

"What's your deal? You had no reason to do that, but you just couldn't mind your own business." Said Ling angrily.

"You have to live, it's wrong not too. You shouldn't end up like me," Nightmare Moon said.

"That's not a good reason," said Ling.

"I'm just like you." Nightmare Moon said. There was silence in the forest around them.

"You aren't. You don't have much time left. Do you?" Ling said to Nightmare Moon.

Nightmare Moon sat down on the roof behind Ling. Or at least he thought she did, he didn't look behind him.

"You have more time left. Don't rush it, live for yourself." She said. Within the blink of an eye, Nightmare Moon was gone. Or maybe she was never there to begin with. Ling didn't know, he didn't look and see.

Ling, now laying down on what was remaining of the thick walls of the castle, decided to get some rest.

Suddenly, there was a loud burst of noise below him. The castle creaked and rumbled in stress. Ling awoke, immediately getting himself up. He had slept a sleepless night. But, he had slept nonetheless. Proving his suspicion from earlier correct. So this reality, it really isn't a fake?

Ling got up to look at what was happening inside. It was now still in the night as evident by the moon up in the sky. He started to hear voices in the building. Hesitantly, he looked inside.

Looking inside he could tell that Ling did not have the best angle, but from what he could see there were 6 ponies closest to him, they each were different colors from each other. Each with horns or wings or neither at all. He did not really pay much attention to them at the moment.

Ling looked across the room to Nightmare Moon and saw another figure in the corner of the room, the figure shone brightly, even in the darkness of the room. Celestia had a coat as white as snow and a mane swaying with a non-existent breeze. She was staring intently at Nightmare Moon. Nobody acknowledged her presence in the room.

Nightmare Moon apparently was giving some sort of speech, Ling really was not listening to her empty words, or the words of the 6 ponies on the floor below him. The only thing he saw was the emotion that was behind the false persona of emotion that Nightmare Moon displayed.

Ling saw the fear in her eyes. He noticed the 6 ponies, now all had crowns on their heads. Their eyes were glowing white. He looked back at Nightmare Moon and realized his misconception. The emotion seemed not to be fear, it was acceptance.

The 6 ponies floated off the ground, which surprised Ling for a moment. Suddenly, a beam of light came out of each of the 6 crowns on the ponies heads. They fired into the direction of Nightmare Moon.

Ling was able to see behind the beam of light, though nobody else seemed to see it happen. But, what happened to Nightmare Moon was horrific thing. She was disintegrated before his very eyes. The images of what was happening had burned into his mind, and his legs just wouldn't work, he could not move his body. He wanted to run. Even though he was not restrained, he was paralyzed. He had never been this scared.

Once Nightmare Moon was nothing but ashes, something strange happened. The ashes seemed to reform themselves. It was slow, eventually somethings started to take shape. It was the form of something similar yet completely new to see.

Ling backed up to the edge of the wall. With a swift leap he was off of it. He landed on the ground with an unpleasant thud. He felt pain in his leg.

This is nothing, thought Ling. He started to run into the forest. He didn't know where to go, but he knew his destination.

If only his travels were that simple.

Ling slowed down, something was in his way. In front of him now was a ravine that seemed to have no bottom. The other side of the cliff was quite a distance away. There was an old bridge that hung off the side of the ravine, unconnected to the other side. Unfortunately, this left him in quite the predicament considering that his salvation laid beyond the place.

Ling grit his teeth, already mad about what he had to do. He leaped into the air, attempting to get as much distance as possible. He grabbed onto the rope of the bridge off the side of the ravine, his hands slid down it, causing his palms intense pain.

Looking down, Ling realized how close he was to falling into the abyss below him. Only a couple of feet of rope were below him. He climbed up, eventually getting to the top of the dismantled rope bridge, the ravine caused him to think back to when he was saved by Nightmare Moon.

The sun rose from the horizon, flooding the landscape in a golden glow. Ling had anger in his eyes, he slammed the ground in frustration.

"Damn it! You idiot Nightmare Moon! Why would you want me to live!" He shouted into the distance.

"You didn't even have the motivation to save yourself. That's not fair! You have way more to live for than me, so why?" He shouted into the ravine.

Ling ran into the forest, eventually finding some shelter under a small overhang. Despite it being daytime, he decided to get some sleep. He had some reconsidering to do.



Jingzi was awake but something felt off about his body. It felt as if he wasn't really there, wherever he was. He just didn't feel whole. What is this place, I'm on ground but I do not feel myself on any solid surface. There is no light around me either.

"Where am I?" Jingzi asked himself in awe. He looked around, there really was nothing to see but darkness in the area in front of him.

"The great in-between is where you reside, Jingzi." Said an unknown voice from behind. Jingzi had not expected a response, he looked around himself and laid his eyes upon a strange being indeed. It did not create any comprehensible shapes to him, and the shapes he recognized changed form around the creature every passing moment.

"How do you know my name?" Jingzi asked it.

"I can comprehend the basic identity of travelers who come and go, I doubt you will remember this conversation until a long time after you arrive. Though it's not impossible." Jingzi looked at the thing.

"What are you?" Jingzi asked it.

"In your realm I am called Chen Chengda. But, I have a name that is used among those that remember me. That name is 'the king of curses'. What I am as an entity is what you would call a god," said the king of curses.

"Its not going to be long before your destination. Most gods who have the same job as I give gifts to those who travel through the in between. It's mandatory to do so. But to be honest, I hate you," the king of curses paused. Jingzi looked at him and pointed his finger.

"You hate me! Well who are you to hate me, a crappy god! That's what you are!" Jingzi shouted furiously at the shapeless being. The king of curses chuckled.

"I hate most humans, you included. But I admit, you have given me quite the interesting time in this journey. Here is a 'gift'," the king of curses had an area of his body make a comprehensive shape, it shaped into that of a human hand. The fingers aligned in a strange way so that the middle finger was on the thumb. In an instant it slipped off his thumb, hitting his palm all in one quick motion. It made an unfamiliar clapping sound to Jingzi. There was no change in the environment around him or any new objects. Where's the gift? He said he would give one!

"The gift that us gods give you was never ours, it was always yours and always will be yours. We simply awaken the spirit and develop it. Though the methods of development vary for each god. The way I develop the spirit tends to be seen as a curse. When a spirit is developed, it can change a person physically and or mentally, though the change will usually take a good few months to fully manifest. However some changes will be immediately noticeable. Usually, it can manifest as something physical. Though it doesn't always be physical. Losing the item or items is very difficult, as they are tied to your fate and your spirit." Explained the king of curses.

"What is fate?" Jingzi asked curiously. The king of curses laughed heavily.

"I explained all of that and that's what you are concerned with? You are pretty interesting, young mortal. Fate is something inescapable that is tied to every living and non-living being. I regretfully have to inform you it is time, your window to leave has come."

Jingzis surroundings shifted around him, revealing a swirling vortex where the king of curses once stood. The moment he saw it, his body stopped listening to him as he walked into it. He didn't stop moving until there was nothing but pitch black in all directions.

Comments ( 1 )

9780331
My fictional place based off a real historical place, my terminology.

Login or register to comment