• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 6,305 Views, 185 Comments

The Discordian's Daughter - Pumpkin Patch



A long-lost pony returns, but why was she lost?

  • ...
15
 185
 6,305

Part 1, Chapter 11

It had been a week since Willow began her incarceration at the hospital and, while she still wanted to be free, she was not uncomfortable. In addition to having the most amazing hospital room of all time, she was waited on as if she were the very Princess who had ordered her to be contained. Meals were delivered routinely and workers would come by periodically to keep the Greenhouse — as it came to be known — beautiful and healthy.

That isn’t to say that there were no negatives, however. There was a reason why she was being kept there, after all. The monster, Despise, frequently tried to resume control of her body. This was the only thing that made Willow grateful for being constantly watched. It was certainly unnerving having almost no privacy, but at least whenever she felt her consciousness fading and saw that ominous green haze fill her eyes there was always somepony there with the Antaxium to stop Despise from emerging.

Still, there was the endless testing, too. Alchemists, Unicorn Wizards, and Doctors were always coming in to try this cure or that remedy, none of which were ever successful. She had also already been examined by more types of specialists than she knew existed. None of them ever told her what the results of the studies were, and she had the feeling that was because they found nothing at all.

The beautiful indoor garden prepared for her and the incredible view through her large window had both proven to be double-edged swords. She thought they were wonderful, but sometimes they just intensified her yearning to be free, to explore the real world instead of this mare-made imitation.

At least the Princess had kept her word about allowing visitors. Ponies came in all the time, even outside of the ones that were trying to study her. Of course, most of the visits were from Rainbow Dash and the others that she saw on her first day since they were being treated at the same hospital. The latest she had heard though was that all of them were going to be released soon as their wounds were healing.

Willow did get to see Twilight Sparkle herself more than once, but she was busy and her visits were always very brief. She did mention to Willow though that she was trying her best to decipher her father’s journal any time she got the chance. This filled Willow with a great amount of hope. If anypony was going to find the cure, she was certain it would be Twilight.

It was getting late and Willow sat and looked out the clear wall to watch the sun go down. This was becoming her routine. To her it was a rather spiritual experience. Watching the big ball in the sky sinking into the horizon to the sound of silence made her feel more at peace with her situation

Well, at least it was usually silent. This evening, however, Willow’s witnessing of the sunset was interrupted by a loud bang coming from the other side of the double doors. It sounded like somepony ran into it at full speed.

A little startled, Willow whipped her head around to look at the doors. At first, nothing happened after the initial thud, but then she heard a sound she had grown quite accustomed to — the sound of the door’s beam being lifted.

Soon after she heard that sound, the right-hand door was opened by one of the guards. He was talking to somepony she couldn’t see.

“Are you okay? Good. Uh, next time wait for us to actually open the door, okay?” Willow heard him say to whoever was in the hallway.

Once the door was completely opened, Willow’s guest entered the room. She was a Pegasus, a Pegasus with a gray body and a blonde mane. She was carrying what looked to be a mailbag. Willow also noticed that there was something odd about the pony’s eyes. It looked as if they weren’t positioned in their sockets correctly. Willow assumed that this was because the strange Pegasus had just apparently ran — or rather, flew — straight into a very thick door. The pony was still holding her hoof up to her head as she hovered over to the room’s only other occupant.

“Hi! Are you Window?” the Pegasus blurted out to Willow as if she was clear across the room, even though they were now almost uncomfortably close.

“Uh...the window’s over there, mare,” said Willow trying not to laugh at her guest’s butchering of her name. “If you’re lookin’ for Willow, though, that’s me, uh, most of the time.”

The gray pony reached into her mailbag, pulled out an envelope, and looked at the front of it. Willow could see now that the pony’s usual eyes had nothing to do with the blow to the head she received, at least not the most recent one. Those were genuinely her eyes. This realization only made Willow wonder how the pony was able to read the envelope at all, since each eye was looking in a different direction.

“Oh yeah! It is Widow!” exclaimed the Pegasus as she handed the Earth Pony her mail.

“Well, I ain’t never even been hitched, but close enough,” joked Willow as she accepted the envelope. She looked at the front to determine who the sender was. “Hey! It’s from Smarty Mare!”

“It’s actually from Twilight,” said the delivery pony. “I think she said it’s something from your Dad.”

“Wha...?” Willow said, confused. “I’m — Dad ain’t gonna be sending me nuthin’. I mean, unless he left it with some relative or —”

Willow stopped herself. A revelation came rushing to her. She remembered the picture of her and her father that Twilight showed her. He was gray and had a blonde mane. She also remembered Twilight telling her that he was very clumsy. Also, didn’t Princess Celestia say that his brother married a Pegasus?

Willow lowered the enveloped and looked up at the strange pony hovering in front of her. Her eyes widened. Could it be...

She struggled to find her words. “Uh, um, hey you, um wouldn’t happen to be related to the Voidsdales, uh, would ya?”

Willow stared at the pony.

The pony stared at Willow.

Willow stared at the pony

The pony stared at Willow.

Willow stared at the pony.

The pony stared at Willow.

Willow stared at the pony.

Then the wall-eyed Pegasus smiled as she blurted out, “I have no idea! Well, gotta run!”. She then turned around and flew straight out of the open door, narrowly missing both it and its guard.

Willow stood frozen for a moment as her mind tried to grasp what just happened. Her mind having no luck with that, she shrugged and returned to the piece of mail in her hand.

Upon opening it, she found two slips of paper, one short and one long. The shorter one was on top so she decided to start there.

Dear Willow,

I’m so sorry that I couldn’t give this to you in person, but I’m still very busy.

I’m even more sorry though that you have to go through all of this, but it really is the only way the Princess and I could think of. I’m working closely with all of the ponies who are studying you and we’ve found a few possibilities, but all of them are going to take time. I discovered that Pinkie Pie has a natural talent for deciphering your father’s Discordian Alchemy formulas and that's helped some, but not as much as I hoped. It’s one thing to understand how he did this to you, but it’s another thing to undo it.

Still, there is some good news. Some of the researchers think they’ve found a way to keep Despise from taking you over for a longer period of time, as in maybe weeks! If they can do that, you may be able to come back to Ponyville! I’ll keep you posted!

Anyway, the main reason why I sent you this is that I found a journal entry in your father’s book that I think you should read. I didn’t want to tear the page out (I treat my books better than that!), so I copied it for you down to the letter.

I’ll be seeing you again soon!

Sincerely,

Twilight.

Willow put Twilight’s letter aside and looked at the larger piece of paper. She quickly learned that Twilight was not kidding about copying the journal entry “to the letter”. She even accurately imitated her father’s hoofwriting. Fortunately, her father’s writing was legible.

The test subject for my experiments was my own daughter, Willow. I didn’t want to mention it in this journal in case it were ever discovered. If anypony found the lab and consequently this journal, I could still deny that Willow had any part in my experiments. That way, even if I were captured, she could still be free, free to do what ponies her age do without having to worry about her father’s crazy ideas.
But there’s no point in hiding it now. If the authorities discover the lab and this journal, they will see her too. I placed in her in what I call a suspension chamber. It’s a very large tube-shaped container and it would be obvious to anypony who comes down here. Unfortunately, it’s the only solution I could think of: keep her in suspended animation until I can undo the damage I’ve done to her.
That might be the true reason why I’m allowing myself to write about her now. I can’t believe what I’ve done, but I also can’t confess my crime to anypony. I turned my own daughter, a kind, peaceful pony that I loved very much into a monster.

Willow never cared about my faith in the God of Chaos. She knew about it of course, but she was never interested. Before Discord was imprisoned, I tried many times to bring her to my point of view, but she cared more about being with her friends as well as all those accursed plants of hers for some reason.

But then I came up with my plan to overthrow the Alicorns and I needed a test subject. I didn’t know anyone in the town who I could trust to keep my secrets safe, no one except her.

Willow hates all war and violence, so it definitely took some convincing, but ultimately I prevailed. After many weeks and who knows how many conversations, I finally got her to agree to be my test subject.

I convinced her as I had convinced myself that we had a noble cause to fight for. We were doing what my Master would have wanted. We were going to liberate the ponies of this land from the tyranny of the Alicorns. I know now though that it was all lies and self-delusion. I was angry that my side lost the battle and I wanted to strike back. It was revenge, plain and simple, and I dragged my daughter into a half-baked scheme for retaliation.

How that scheme went so horribly wrong is still beyond my comprehension. I expected her to gain strength and potentially even special powers, but how making those changes to her being resulted in the creation of a second personality that was the inverse of her own is baffling.

The Antaxium I created is able to return her to her usual self, but it doesn’t last and when/where she transforms again is so unpredictable that I can’t just let her roam freely. Also, when the other personality emerges, it’s difficult to inject her with it. I have scars that prove this.

Therefore, the suspension chamber. It will keep her safe and alive until I can find a permanent fix. That doesn’t mean I don’t have to worry about time, though. If she stays in there too long, she will lose her memory.

I just can’t bare the thought of that happening. I don’t want her to forget me, forget our relationship, forget everything we’ve been through. I want her to have a youth to look back upon, and I want her to remember me fondly, just as I think of her fondly each and every day.

I placed a picture of us next to this journal to remind me of what I am now working towards. It’s no longer about my ridiculous notions of vengeance. It’s just about getting things back to the way they were. It’s about bringing her back.

Willow’s transformation erased her cutie mark, and eventually even replaced it. I promise, one day everypony will see her true mark again. It wasn’t a circle of thorns. It was a leaf.