• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 6,305 Views, 185 Comments

The Discordian's Daughter - Pumpkin Patch



A long-lost pony returns, but why was she lost?

  • ...
15
 185
 6,305

Part 2, Chapter 6

“So...do-do you think it looks okay?” asked Fluttershy timidly.

“Oh, you need to stop being so modest,” said Rarity, “It looks absolutely marvelous!”

“Yeah, um, it looks very...green!” Spike remarked while scratching his head.

“Really, Spike?” said Applejack through a raised eyebrow “Is that all you can say about it? I only wish my family’s float for the Fruit House was comin’ along this nice!”

Fluttershy had mentioned to her friends earlier this day that she thought the float her and Willow were working on for Graceful’s Greenery was “almost done, um, I guess,” and that was enough to make them want to go to the Greenhouse to see it for themselves. Fluttershy may have protested, but if she did it was too quietly so for the other ponies to hear.

Still, any hesitation on Fluttershy’s part was proving unwarranted. Applejack and Rarity’s mouths were both gaping at the sight of the parade float. Spike’s expression was much less dramatic, but it was far from a scowl.

The float was comprised mostly of a beige foam. However, the foam had been sculpted to resemble the clay used in flower pots, and very expertly so. It even had imitation cracks and chips in it.

The base of it was a simple flat platform, but stacked on top of it was a smaller platform pushed into the middle, giving the impression of a stair step. A pot was placed in each corner of the base and in each pot was planted a different type of bush or small tree. The smaller upper platform had two additional potted plants placed on the back of it, distanced from their lower-level kin just enough to make them stand out.

However, the biggest attraction was in the absolute middle of the second platform. It was a gigantic pot, taller than a pony even if that pony were standing next to it. Planted inside this pot were two large bushes and those bushes were trimmed into two larger-than-life pony sculptures. The green leafy statues were waving in opposite directions with clearly visible smiles cut into their faces.

“I certainly agree with Applejack,” Rarity remarked, “How in Equestria did you and Willow make this all by yourselves, and without magic no less?”

“Um, well, Willow did most of the work, actually” said Fluttershy as she pointed her hoof at the green pony standing on the lower platform that looked almost like an additional decoration.

“Nah, critter mare did plenty,” rebutted Willow in a noticeably louder voice. She then pointed at the two pony sculptures behind her. “Of course, I did do these two by myself!”

“Whoah, that’s...pretty cool, actually!” said Spike.

“No kiddin!” said Applejack. “Have the Graceful’s seen this yet?”

“Oh, Mr. and Mrs. Graceful were here just yesterday.” Fluttershy explained.

“And? What did they say, darling?” asked Rarity.

It took a few seconds for Fluttershy to answer “Um, well, they said that—”

“— We totally blew their minds, mare,” Willow interrupted confidently.

“Yeah, something like that,” Fluttershy quietly agreed.

Applejack chuckled, “You’re somethin’ else, Fluttershy.”

“Indeed,” said Rarity. “It’s a good thing Rainbow Dash isn’t here, or you would get another earful on self-confidence.”

“Yeah, and then I would say something ‘not cool’ and get an earful too,” Willow added. “Where is awesome mare, anyway?”

“Her and Twilight are at the parade committee together,” Spike explained, “I think they’re finalizing the parade route.”

“It’s almost time, ain’t it?” said Willow.

“Sure is,” said Applejack. “And that means Celestia’s almost ready to let you outta this fancy jail cell, ain’t it?”

“Uh, right,” said Willow hesitantly.

Her hesitation was not unnoticed by Rarity. “Is something wrong, dear? I would think you would be more excited about that prospect.”

“Uh, er, I am fancy mare,” answered Willow as she reached up and touched the collar around her neck, “I’m just, uh, a little beat after this workin’. Yeah...that’s it…”

Suddenly, Pinkie Pie bursted into the room wearing a giant malt ball carton with Merry’s Marvelous Malts written on it and screaming “I. Love. Chocolate!”