• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 6,304 Views, 185 Comments

The Discordian's Daughter - Pumpkin Patch



A long-lost pony returns, but why was she lost?

  • ...
15
 185
 6,304

Part 2, Chapter 8

The next time Willow saw Luna, the look on her face was even less reassuring. The Princess now stood before her in the Greenhouse alongside her sister, Twilight Sparkle, and the others with an expression so sad that it seemed to have infected everypony else in the room. It felt as if the room was frozen in time and the silence of all its current occupants did little to help.

At long last, the Princess of the Moon spoke "Willow, I am truly sorry, but after your last...incident in the dream world— "

Willow's heart immediately sank. The very fact that Luna would mention her dreams in front of Celestia all but confirmed the verdict.

"I felt I had no choice but make my sister aware," Luna continued, "At this point, I cannot in good conscience recommend you for release."

Willow's head had already been sinking, but now it had completely dropped. Beyond that, however, she had no response.

"I know this is not the news you wanted, Willow," said Princess Celestia, "I know how desperate you are to get out of here. I need you to understand that as the rulers of this land we have to guarantee the safety of our citizens and as of now I do not believe that collar is enough to do that."

Willow remained silent, her face obscured by her drooping hair. Eventually, however, her head did produce a slow, reluctant nod.

Suddenly, she felt a hoof gently grace her shoulder. "I'm so sorry that this happened, Willow," said Twilight, "If you had told me about the dreams, I may have been able to do some more research, maybe improve the collar's design."

The pony bearing the collar Twilight referred to finally lifted her head. Her eyes were practically liquid and her lips were curled. The fact that Willow could now see her friends — Twilight, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Fluttershy — surrounding her did little to change this.

"I'm sorry," said Willow in a trembling voice. "I-I just wanted it to work so bad...I-I wanted to get out in time for the parade. I wanted to be there with all of you. I wanted to see our floats go down the streets..."

Fluttershy reached out and embraced Willow. "You'll be there in spirit."

"Maybe we could put a big plaque on the float you and Fluttershy made," said another, slightly more masculine voice. Willow hadn't even noticed that Spike was present, let alone standing right next to her leg. “And have it say something about how you helped make it and how awesome you are.”

"A dedication. That's a great idea, Spike," said Twilight, “The float’s already at the warehouse. We should have access to it before the parade.”

Each of the ponies expressed their condolences, even Luna and Celestia. Willow was hugged more times than she thought possible in such a short period. But in the end, nothing had changed. Everypony would be showing up at that parade except for her. She was stuck at the Greenhouse, sealed away for an amount of time nopony knew.

All of the guards were asked to wait outside by the Princesses when she and the other ponies arrived. After everypony had left, the guards assumed their regular positions with two guarding the outside and two keeping watch over Willow inside.

One guard decided to strike up a conversation about Willow's recent company. "So, what was that about?" he asked.

"If the Princesses didn't want us in the room, it probably wasn't any of our concern," said the other guard.

Willow's head was bowed and her hair was once again obscuring her face. However, after the guard asked his question, she began walking over to them, only pausing briefly in front of one specific bush. Once she was at a comfortable distance from her inquirer, she lifted her head up and shook away her hair.

"Actually," she said, "It's totally of your concern, bra".

She lifted her hoof and handed to him a scroll, a scroll with Celestia's seal on it.

The guard picked it up and read it. His eyes widened. "You're released?"

"That's right!" said Willow smiling, albeit a little sheepishly.

"B-but why didn't the Princess tell us herself?" said the guard, asking the obvious question.

"Uh, she wanted me to be the one to blow yer mind," explained Willow.

The guard chuckled and shook his head. "That certainly is our Princess. She likes her surprises."

The other guard walked over and examined the parchment. His eyes focused tightly and he took his time. It was as if he was scrutinizing each and every molecule. At long last, he gave his verdict. "This is her majesty's handwriting to be sure. I remember that signature from my acceptance letter.”

“But, if she’s released, what are we supposed to do?” the opposite guard pointed out.

“I’m not sure,” said his partner. It simply says to ‘await further instructions’.”

"Sounds about right," said Willow. "Well, I better catch up with her!"

"Certainly," said the first guard. "She's probably at the hospital entrance by now."

Willow said her goodbyes to the two guards in the Greenhouse as well as the two outside after their comrades explained to them the situation. She then made a right and began her journey down that long hallway she hadn't seen in so long.

And that is where she released the biggest breath that could ever remember exhaling. She couldn't believe it had worked. Ever since Rainbow Dash gave her that approval letter from Celestia for Fluttershy’s supplies, Willow had spent every spare second trying to duplicate the Princess's writing down to the letter. She had mastered the Princess' grammar as well, a feat that for her was far more difficult. After that, however, it was just a matter of removing the seal from Rainbow Dash's letter and attaching it seamlessly to a new one, the materials for which were readily available among her and Fluttershy’s cache.

Willow continued her trek through the hospital, following the signs on the walls and ceiling to help navigate herself to the building's entrance — her exit. As soon as the doors were in sight, however, Willow quickly ducked into the nearest room to stay out of their view. Celestia, Twilight and the others were just on their way out.

This reminded her of the caveat to this Plan B of hers: she wouldn't be able to see them again. If they so much as laid eyes on her outside of the Greenhouse, she would be recommitted there or worse. She was on her own now.

This saddened her greatly. She had desperately held onto the hope that the Princesses would simply approve of her release. She loved them all. She wanted to start her life in Equestria with Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Twilight especially surrounding her as they just had at the Greenhouse.

But now Willow saw no alternative. If it were left up to them — up to the Princesses at least — she would be imprisoned forever. This was the only chance she could see.

After the Alicorns and the other ponies vanished from sight, Willow took a deep breath, and marched towards the doors.