• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 6,304 Views, 185 Comments

The Discordian's Daughter - Pumpkin Patch



A long-lost pony returns, but why was she lost?

  • ...
15
 185
 6,304

Part 1, Chapter 8

Twilight had been so upset with Spike that she had allowed her judgment to lapse. Still, she had little time to think about that now.

The creature shook its hair out of its face revealing its glaring white eyes and demonic grin to the Pegasus across the table. Fluttershy shrieked and fell backwards in her chair onto the floor. Her face stayed fixed in mortal terror on the monster as she crawled backwards into the corner. The monster leapt up from the seat where Willow had been sitting and landed on the table itself, collapsing it instantly as the creature marched forward unphased.

The entire establishment broke out in panic. Screaming and shouting completely blurred out the still-playing music as everypony rushed to the door, trampling each other on the way out. The commotion distracted the creature from its prey.

“Hey! Where do you think you’re going? The party’s just starting!” it screeched at the herd of ponies pushing towards the exit.

The creature whipped its head around and grabbed the barely conscious Spike lying on the floor next to her hooves with her teeth. He screamed as the monster tossed him into the air and then turned around and kicked him in mid-fall with its powerful hind legs. Spike was sent flying towards the chaotic crowd trying to escape. He missed them, instead crashing through the nearest window.

“Spike!” Twilight screamed.

“Hmmm, that was fun! I guess I’ll have to go fetch the ball,” said the monster deviously. It charged to the front of the establishment, but not towards the door. Instead it darted for the section of the wall nearest the window and tore through it like it was paper.

Twilight was shifting in place. She instinctively wanted to chase after the creature and protect Spike, but she knew from their last encounter that she was powerless against it. Ultimately though, she decided that she had to try all the same. Taking a deep breath, she braced herself and began her gallop towards the now-broken wall.

But before she even took two steps, a foreleg stretched out in front of her pushed her back.

“Step aside, Twilight!” demanded Fluttershy.

Twilight stopped immediately, allowing Fluttershy to walk ahead of her. She wanted to tell Fluttershy to stop and that it was too dangerous, but one glance at Fluttershy’s eyes as she passed told Twilight that it would be useless. Fluttershy was in one of those moods again...

Pinkie Pie and Mrs. Cake were standing outside watching the mass exodus from the party when Spike came shattering through a window, flying through the air, breaking through their sign, and then hitting the pie stand itself head-first before finally dropping to the ground in front of them.

“Oh my!” shrieked Mrs. Cake.

“Spike!” Pinkie shouted as the young dragon laid on the ground groaning. She picked him up with her forelegs and held him like a newborn in front of her face. “I told you not to use my party cannon!”

Spike was barely able to move let alone speak, but he managed to respond, “...I...didn’t...”

Suddenly, the wall of Sugarcube Corner right next to them burst open with a thundering crash. The dust of the impact cleared, and Mrs. Cake and Pinkie Pie gaped at the grinning, blank-eyed pony that emerged from the new opening. The monster glared directly back at them.

“It’s not nice to stare, you know!” It growled.

Pinkie threw Spike onto her back as she and Mrs. Cake turned and galloped away as fast as they could. Not more than a few hooves in front of them, though, they were stopped dead in their tracks as the creature leaped out in front of them.

“Too slow!” it yelled.

The two ponies turned and ran for their lives in the opposite direction, heading back towards Sugarcube Corner. They were within range of the concession stand when suddenly they each felt a foreleg of the monster slam into their backs, driving them hard onto the ground. Spike flew off Pinkie Pie’s back upon the impact and landed a few hooves in front of them while she and Mrs. Cake were pinned to the ground by the creature, its hooves dug into them as if they were its new shoes.

The ponies squirmed and struggled with all their might trying to escape the hold of the creature’s hooves. The creature laughed maniacally at their vain attempts, its laughter infinitely more piercing than its voice.

“What’s the matter?” It mocked. “Maybe you should have laid off all those sweets!”

Mrs. Cake’s voice trembled as she continued to struggle. “Who-who are you?”

The creature looked up from its captives and its eyes quickly found the damaged sign above the concession stand. The middle part of the sign had broken off when Spike flew into it. The piece with the letters C-O-R-D-I-A-N was missing.

The monster grinned. “I like it!”

It lowered its head and grabbed Mrs. Cake’s hair with its teeth, forcing her to lift her head up. “Read it!” it demanded in a muffled growl.

Mrs. Cake could barely utter it. “Dis-dis-dis....pies...?”

The creature whipped the two ponies around and pinned them again so fast that they couldn’t react. Pinkie Pie and Mrs. Cake were now gazing upward straight into the monster’s cold eyes.

It bared its toothy, malicious smile again as it declared, “I am Despise. And I. Hate. You!”

“Hi-ya!” Fluttershy cried as swooped down and dove at Despise’s side with her forelegs straight out. Quickly the pony ducked and Fluttershy swished passed it. She had missed, but her attack wasn’t a complete failure. The monstrous mare’s attention instantly shifted completely to Fluttershy and it released its two would-be victims.

Pinkie Pie and Mrs. Cake quickly rose to their hooves and made a break for Sugarcube Corner, with Pinkie Pie scooping Spike back up as they passed him.

Twilight saw them approaching from the new hole in the wall of the bakery. As soon as she saw Spike on Pinkie Pie’s back, she headed straight for her.

“Spike! are you okay?”

Mrs. Cake and Pinkie Pie stopped before they collided with Twilight.
Spike let out a groan. “Twilight...is that you?”

Twilight’s eyes filled with worry as her horn lit up and she levitated Spike off of Pinkie’s back and floated him over to her own.

“It’s okay, Spike. I’ll get you home,” She reassured him. Then she faced his two rescuers. “Are you two okay?”

Both Mrs. Cake and Pinkie Pie were out of breath..

“We’re-we’re fine for now,” was all Mrs. Cake managed to get out between huffing.

“Yup,” added Pinkie Pie while panting just as heavily, “Fluttershy saved us.”

“Fluttershy!?” Twilight repeated. She looked over Mrs. Cake and Pinkie and saw the Pegasus they referred to circling Despise in the air, constantly swooping past her face as if trying to pester her like a gnat.

And Despise was indeed getting irritated. She started snapping her jaws at the Pegasus like a dog trying to grab a bird. Several unsuccessful grabs later, she screamed at her agitator, “Face me on hoof, chicken-horse!”

Fluttershy stopped and hovered in one spot above the pony’s head just out of its reach. She looked Despise right in the eye.“If that’s what the big bully wants!”

“Fluttershy, no!” Twilight cried out.

She was too late. Fluttershy landed, closed her wings, and charged her opponent. At the last minute, Despise side-stepped her and grabbed her hair with its teeth as she ran by. Then she yanked her head and spun Fluttershy around in the air like a lasso. Fluttershy screamed, but her scream was cut short. At the apex of one of the swings, Despise whipped her downward and slammed her into the ground.

Everypony gasped when Fluttershy hit the earth. Despise stood over her while she laid motionless. Within seconds, Fluttershy let out a groan and lifted up her eyes to see her adversary. Her adversary grinned and slowly uttered a single word —

“...Run...”

Fluttershy’s eyes widened and with a burst of adrenaline she rose up, expanded her wings and dashed through the air in the opposite direction.

Despise galloped after her, cackling like the demented madpony she was.

“Fluttershy!” Twilight screamed in horror as saw the monster give chase, a chase that was headed straight into Ponyville.

“Oh dear! This is awful!” said Mrs. Cake. “What are we going to do now?”

“We fight back!” said a voice coming from behind.

Twilight, Pinkie Pie, and Mrs. Cake turned around. Standing behind them were Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash. All were unharmed and their expressions were resolute.

Twilight smiled. “I’m so glad to you’re all still here!”

“Honestly, did you really think we would just run home with the rest of the crowd?” asked Rarity rhetorically.

“Yeah! We were just hiding so we could study the enemy and know how to take it down!” said a confident Rainbow Dash.

“Really?” said Pinkie Pie naively. “That’s fantabulous! I thought for sure you were just hiding because you were scared that Despise was going to mash you into pudding!”

The three stood silent and stared blankly at Pinkie Pie for a moment. Finally, Applejack timidly admitted, “Well, uh, yeah that may have had a little bit to do with it, but, uh, it was mostly the whole studying-the-enemy thing.”

“Well, did you figure out how to take it down?” asked Twilight.

Applejack looked at the Rainbow Dash and then Rarity. When neither of them spoke up, she scratched her head with her hoof.

“Um,no. No we didn’t.”

The disappointment emitting from Twilight, Pinkie Pie, and Mrs. Cake was palpable.

Applejack quickly turned around the subject. “So what is that thing, Twilight?”

“I don’t have time to explain now,” Twilight answered while illuminating her horn. Her magic grabbed the satchel wrapped around Spike and gently slipped it off. She levitated it to the top of her horn and balanced it there. “But this satchel contains some syringes with the antidote in them. If we can get them into Willow’s — er, Despise’s — body, she’ll pass out and when she wakes up she’ll be Willow again.”

Rarity gasped. “Is that what happened when I was giving her a makeover!?”

“Mrs. Cake,” said Twilight as her horn lit up once more and she levitated Spike off her back, “could you take Spike home and make sure he’s okay?”

“I absolutely can, Twilight,” said Mrs. Cake sincerely. She walked underneath Spike and Twilight lowered him gently onto her back.

“Thank you so much,” said Twilight very gratefully.

Mrs. Cake immediately took off in the direction of the Golden Oaks library. Twilight turned to the remaining ponies.

“Sounds like we’re going to need somepony to distract her while somepony else goes in with the needle,” said Applejack.

“Well, that won’t be too hard!” said Rainbow Dash. “Did you see the way she was acting? Her attention span is worse than Pinkie Pie’s!”

“That cloud looks like a pumpkin!” said Pinkie Pie looking up at the sky.

“Hmmm, good observation, Rainbow!” said Twilight. “Okay. I have an idea...”