• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 6,305 Views, 185 Comments

The Discordian's Daughter - Pumpkin Patch



A long-lost pony returns, but why was she lost?

  • ...
15
 185
 6,305

Part 1, Chapter 4

“Well, this is it!” Twilight said as her and Willow stood just a short distance away from the Golden Oaks library.

Willows eyes widened and her jaw dropped. She stopped breathing and froze in place.

“Um...are you okay?” Twilight asked.

“Mare...you live in a tree?” Willow asked.

“Oh. Well, yes. Yes I do,” Twilight answered. She had almost forgotten herself. Since this was the home she had lived in for so long, she had almost taken for granted that it was made out of a large oak.

“That. Is. So. Far Out!” Willow exclaimed. She dashed towards the library like a filly who had just spotted an ice cream stand. She didn’t make it far, though. Halfway through her gallop, a clump of her long green hair slipped under her hoof. She tripped and fell forwards, her jaw digging into the grass.

“Whoah there!” Twilight said as she caught up with her new friend. “Take it easy. You don’t want to add any more injuries to the list. So, you like trees?”

Willow spat some grass out of her mouth as she lifted herself off the ground. “I love everythin’ green, mare. Trees, grass, plants, I dig 'em all!”

"I thought you didn't remember anything." said Twilight.

"I don't," Willow confirmed, "but I know what I like when I see it."

Twilight laughed. "Well, it's a start."

The train ride home from the hospital had consisted predominantly of Twilight, Spike, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash asking Willow questions and Willow answering nearly all of them with variants of “no” and “I don’t know”. Her mind was completely void of any significant memories prior to her awaking in that glass chamber. Twilight, Pinkie, and Spike described to her the room that chamber was in, the one that had been completely dark to her when she escaped. Willow said the description didn’t sound familiar at all. Twilight told her about Discord and his followers, the Discordians, and how her father was one of them. None of it registered. Twilight even showed her the picture of her standing next to her father. She didn’t even recognize him.

Still, Willow was able to keep the conversation going with the others for the duration of the trip. By the time the train arrived at the station, everypony had given her life story as well as the dragon. They continued to talk even after they got off. Likely, the conversation would have gone even longer had not the darkening sky reminded everypony how late it was. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie broke themselves away from the group to their homes and turn in for the night, leaving Spike and Twilight with Willow.

Willow, however, was currently making an all-new friend out of Twilight's abode. Right after she arose from her initial stumble, Willow resumed quickly — albeit more carefully — making her way to the front of Golden Oaks. Instead of going to the door, though, she made a right a began walking around the tree, while never taking her eyes off it. A small but giddy grin could be seen across her face the entire time. Occasionally, she would lift up one of her hooves and place it on the bark, as if she couldn’t believe it was there.

By the time Willow completed her circuit around the tree, Twilight had made it to the front door. Willow almost ran into her. “This is just too solid, mare!” said the pony who was green in more ways than one. “And you said I get to sleep here tonight?”

Twilight smiled. “Of course. I’ve got plenty of extra room. I’m glad you like it.”

Willow pointed to a small window to the left of them higher up on the tree. “Can I sleep in there?”

Twilight turned her head to look at the window. “Sure!”

“Sweet!” Willow said excitedly. “I wanna check out the leaves!”

“It’s kind of strange that you don’t have a cutie mark yet,” remarked Twilight as she opened the door, “It’s pretty obvious what your passion is.”

Spike was in the main library finishing a light dusting of the area when Twilight and Willow entered. Twilight had been so busy talking with Willow since they parted with the others that she didn’t even realize that he had gotten so far ahead of them. It made her glad, though, to see that he was also thinking ahead of them and tidying up.

Willow’s look of awe and wonder at the library’s interior rivaled that of her reaction to its exterior. “Whoah. There’s a whole lot of dead trees inside this live one.” she commented.

“What? Oh, you mean the books,” replied Twilight. “Well, like I told you on the train, I'm an egghead.”

“You weren’t trippin’, mare,” said Willow.

Twilight turned to her assistant. “Spike, I’m going to show Willow upstairs. She wants to sleep in the west wing study.”

“Your home has another study besides this one?” asked Willow in disbelief.

“Well, this is a library, too. Technically all of the rooms are studies,” Twilight answered.

“Uh, you may want to hold off on that,” said Spike, “I haven’t cleaned it yet.”

“Spike, we haven’t used that room since we cleaned it the last time. I’m sure it’s fine,” Twilight assured him.

“That was weeks ago,” Spike argued, “It’s probably dusty by now.”

“Hey, it’s all copasetic,” said Willow, “I just got out of a giant glass tube. I can wrap with a little dust.”

Spike shrugged. “Well, I guess as long as it’s, uh, copasetic with you it’s copasetic with me,” he said, unsure if he was using the word correctly.

Willow bared her small-mouthed smile to him and turned to Twilight, who placed her satchel on the ground and lead her up the stairs.

After they had climbed the steps, they made a left and went to the nearest room on that side of the floor. Twilight opened the door. She saw the room was still mostly clean, though with a few dust spots. It was a small room, containing only a half-sized bookshelf, an end table, and a couch. Above the couch was a small round window, showing a view partly of the night sky, but mostly of the leaves on the branches around the room.

Almost as soon as she walked into the room and saw the window she went over to it and felt around it with her hooves until she figured out how to open it. After she slid it open and the slight breeze began drifting in from the outside, Willow got up on the couch and stuck her head out the window. When she brought her head back in, she was holding a plucked leaf in her teeth by the stem. She walked over to the end table and placed it down.

“Uh, hey mare, since this is going to be my pad for a while,” said Willow to Twilight, “you don’t mind if I spruce up the place a bit, do ya? I was thinking of pinning this leaf on the wall for starters.”

“Oh. Not at all,” said Twilight graciously, “Make yourself a home. Wait here. I’ll get you a pin so you can hang that up.”

Twilight walked out of the room and into the adjacent one where she had some household supplies — perfectly organized, of course. It took her no time at all to collect a few pins and return to Willow’s new living space. Willow was staring out the window with her back to the door when Twilight came in.

“Here you go!” she said as she entered the room and placed the pins next to the leaf on the table.

But as soon as she let go of the pins, Twilight was pushed to the floor with a force like ten stallions. It was so sudden that it nearly knocked the wind out of her. After her body hit the floor, Twilight could feel a presence standing over her, a presence that enveloped her like a cage. She looked up to see that she was surrounded by solid green hair and staring down from the middle of it all was Willow. But where her usual tiny smile once was, there was a wide, toothy, malicious grin and in place of her big yellow eyes were even bigger white ones, with no pupils.

Twilight wasn’t paralyzed when she was knocked to the ground, but now she was paralyzed by fear. Her mouth was open wide with fright, but yet she couldn’t let out a gasp, let alone scream.

However, Willow — if the thing standing over Twilight was still in fact Wilow — could speak very clearly. “What’s the matter? Too scared to wiggle, you pathetic bookworm!?” it yelled down at her. Its voice was as terrifying to Twilight as its appearance. It certainly wasn’t Willow’s voice. It was sharp and high-pitched, yet at the same time thundering and loud. Twilight thought her ears would bleed.

However, she quickly learned that bleeding ears was not the injury she should be worried about as the creature lifted its front-left hoof and aimed it directly at Twilight’s head. Twilight rolled out from under it through the opening the lifted hoof had left, pushing past the curtain of hair in the way. The creature’s hoof slammed to the ground with the sound of splintering wood. Twilight immediately rose to her hooves, and bolted out the door and onto the staircase.

“Get your worthless flank back here!” screamed the creature as it gave chase to its prey.

Halfway down the stairs, Twilight nearly collided with Spike coming up from the main floor. “Twilight! I heard some noises. Is everything alri—whoah!” he said stopping himself as he saw the deranged-looking thing that was charging after her.

Without even stopping, Twilight grabbed Spike and threw him on her back as she charged down the rest of the stairs. As she was nearing the first floor, her flight reflex was begging her to go out the front door and keep running, but she knew she couldn’t do that. This thing, whatever it was, was too dangerous to let loose into Ponyville. Instead, immediately after the stairs ended she turned towards the main bookshelf. As soon as there was no more room to run, she lifted Spike off her back and onto the floor, then turned to face her attacker.

Almost as soon as the main room was in the creature’s view, it leapt off the stairs, landing with an earth-shaking thud only a short distance from Twilight and Spike. Its hair was now covering its face, but that didn’t stop it from facing its prey.

Twilight’s horn lit up as she quickly cast a forcefield around herself and Spike. The creature charged. Twilight strengthened the forcefield as much as she could and braced for impact. But the type of impact she received was not the one she expected.

The creature plowed through the forcefield like it wasn’t even there and once again pushed Twilight to ground. This time, the creature pinned her legs. Shocked and panicked, Twilight twisted back and forth trying to get out of the creature’s hold.

“Ah! Now that squirm’s more like it!” it said with demented joy.

Twilight screamed. “Spike! Spike!”

Spike’s eyes were wide with terror as he saw and heard Twilight helpless against the monstrosity towering over her. Trying his best to calm himself, Spike weighed his options. He couldn’t breath fire on the creature because he would risk burning Twilight and there would be no way he could fight this thing hand-to-hoof. His only choice was to find a weapon.

His eyes quickly surveyed the room looking for something, anything he could use. Twilight’s home wasn’t exactly an armory and Spike could see nothing that would be useful against something that strong. But then his eyes spotted something sitting at the bottom of the stairs. It was Twilight’s satchel, a satchel filled with those syringes they had found in the professor's lab.

As fast as he could, Spike ran over to the satchel, pulled it open and yanked out the first syringe he saw, almost pricking himself on it in the process. Then he turned around to eye his target. It was still trying to subdue the flailing Twilight beneath it. The thing seemed to be completely focused on that task, and its back was exposed.

Clenching his free fist and gripping the syringe tightly in the other, Spike rushed towards Twilight’s attacker and with all his might jammed the syringe into the creature’s upper thigh.

Almost as soon as Spike had made his move, Twilight felt the thing’s body tighten like it had just received an electric shock. She looked up too see its face frozen with a stunned expression. Then, before Twilight could move, the creature’s eyes closed and it collapsed on top of her.