• Published 18th Mar 2019
  • 18,410 Views, 396 Comments

The Small Shop On Elder Street - SirEcho



Celestia comes across a small shop run by Equestria's only human.

  • ...
38
 396
 18,410

A Noble Ruckus

Author's Note:

Let me know how this compares to the previous chapter.

Proofread by a good pal.

That following morning, the sun rose as it always had and with it Princess Celestia. Celestia always compared it to waking from a dream when she returned from her Sunday shenanigans. She already sorely missed the cute comfy clothes she wore as Sunflower.

To her dismay, she was in full royal regalia. Upon her head sat the golden crown that encapsulated her billowing mane; and around her neck, the royal peytral. Though in reality, she had replaced them with convincing and more comfy replicas long ago. From the neck down, she wore a simple golden silk dress; similar to what was worn in ancient Roam, but cut to just below the knee. Finally on her feet she donned a pair of golden sandals that spiraled up her legs like Midas-touched vines to almost where the dress ended. The nobles had insisted on much more interesting and complex clothing choices. Fortunately, she had skillfully maneuvered around that politically incessant issue and thus this was the most she could get away with without being considered under dressed for a princess.

The dress billowed lightly around her as she walked gracefully down the corridor that led to the royal dining room, which was cast with shadows from the early morning. She looked towards the outside which happened to have a wonderful garden veranda on display. A dark yellow mare, who was the gardener for this section, was currently trimming the grass and hedges. The smell of the cut grass wafted over and reminded Celestia of her younger days now gone. Coupled with her sun that imparted a soft morning glow onto the veranda and birds that chirped a happy morning tune. It all set a tranquil scene that she was all but happy to take a moment to drink in.

Though as she took that moment, a loud shout echoed from down the corridor. "Where is SHE?!" Shrilled the distinctly off pitch posh voice.

The birds scattered and the gardener was startled, causing her to snip off too much hedge, which resulted in a rather unorthodox shape. Celestia let out a defeated sigh for the ruined ambiance of her morning.

Oh joyous occasion it was for her, to spend her breakfast this morning with the nobility. It had been set in the calendar weeks ago after much insistence and she realized the necessity. Even if Luna didn't, who had opted to conveniently have a meeting with the military advisers this morning instead. At the very least, Celestia reasoned, it was a good opportunity to help her build some 'pony capital' as she called it. To keep the nobles productive and useful for whenever there was things she needed done.

Though in many cases, to just get them out of her mane.

In spite of her reluctance, she finally arrived at the door to the royal dining area, the grand double doors sat ready to mark her royal entrance. She sagged her shoulders, Celestia could already hear the roar of gossip and politics that was going on inside. The princess let out another sigh, though this time more in annoyance than anything.

Two royal guards were stationed at the door, their golden equipment in pristine condition with spears at the ready and their identity concealment enchantment activated with them both being the one of the two standard variations for Stallions. Though normally extremely stoic, the two offered their sympathies to the princess as they fully understood the tartarus she was about to enter. She thanked them quietly for the kind words but in this moment they did little to assuage her old soul.

"Are you ready Princess?"

She paused for a moment and answered with a straight face. "No."

The two guards chuckled but looked at her expectantly for her command. Celestia then stood upright in a more proper stance and steeled her resolve. She gave a slight nod and the gates of tartarus opened.


The double doors opened with a loud boom and Celestia stepped forward into the abyss. She was met with the sight that was the Equestrian nobility.

The room was decorated quite lavishly, though not at her own behest. The nobles had taken it upon themselves to add the latest in opulent home fashion to the room's decor. The room was surrounded by short marble pillars upon which sat various works of unique modern art. The table had been replaced with a solid marble top on supports and the chairs were replaced with heavily decorated stools, with no back support in sight. At this long table stood fifty nobles; all representatives of the various major families of Equestria.

The nobles had also decided to decorate themselves just as spectacularly. They all wore clothing that was similar to Celestia's, of ancient Roam. They being nobility though, added their own personal flairs. Their robes were of multiple bright exotic colors, with intricate patterns or designs on them, but to Celestia, some of them just looked like fancy rugs. Also adorned upon their heads were various styles of wreaths, but obviously that had become some kind of measuring contest. As the wreaths of some had practically turned into antlers with ornaments on them, almost like someone tried to decorate a deer for Hearths Warming.

Of course there was always one family in particular that held a special place in her table. A family of immense respect, steeped in a tradition of serving Equestria and its people above all else. A truly noble family. One so honourable, that she had given the head of the house the honorary title of prince which was to be passed to their descendants til the end of time.

Unfortunately, it's most recent heir was anything but that. Rather he was source of the loud shrill from earlier, one that could probably be heard from across the continent.

"There she is!" A pompous white stallion shrilled from the head of the table.

His shiny blond mane was perfectly maintained and his outfit wasn't as unique as the rest were but somewhat eerily similar to her own. He was also slightly taller than most nobles at a height of five feet and six inches. He strutted towards Celestia in a manner of confidence, as he gave the aura of the top dog in his 'noble' game.

"My favorite aunt!" Was it mentioned that this title made him honorary family too?

"Ah yes my dear nephew, Prince Blueblood. How do you fare?" Celestia asked with a modicum of practiced restraint.

He let out a melodramatic groan and did a exaggerated pose of distress as if to have the whole world pity him. "Oh it was horrible! I was walking to the castle from my carriage when an unsightly cur splashed mud all over my feet on purpose!" The white stallion continued onward about his surprisingly large repertoire of unsightly tragedies that had besieged him this morning. The nobles watched idly and pretended to be enamored with his story, all in order to brown nose the 'alpha' noble.

"But of course, you can fix that all for me. Wouldn't you auntie? For your dearest nephew?"

Celestia's left eye twitched in concealed annoyance. Ah yes how Celestia longed for the days of old, this new generation of nobility didn't hold a candle to those of the past. Albeit there is a lot less warfare nowadays. Maybe Luna was right about Equestria being too soft, especially the nobility.

"We'll see my dearest nephew, for now I would I like to have tea first before I deliberate anything of import."

A soft bell jingled, Celestia took her seat at the head of table, followed by Prince Blueblood, then the rest of the nobility took their turns to be seated; apparently they thought it necessary to seat in order of prestige. The maids and butlers rushed out from concealed doorways and placed tea pots with sugar cubes at the table. As one placed a pot for Celestia, the princess beckoned the maid for a moment.

"Please bring me my new set from last night instead, thank you." Celestia whispered quietly. The maid nodded and quickly disappeared with the rest of the staff. The next part of the morning ritual began, with sets to be brought forth for tea to be served. Of course all the nobility had requested their own personal sets, each more bedazzled and intricate than the last. Another form of measuring contest; how unexpected.

The maid from earlier brought Celestia her personal set. A simple ceramic plate and cup from many years ago and the engraved box which contained the two silver spoons, of which she carefully plucked one of the two spoons. The tea was then poured by the staff into everyone’s cups, to which everyone began to help themselves to their tea and converse with one another. Celestia reached for two cubes of sugar and plopped them gently into her her tea. It was chamomile this morning and it had a lovely aroma.

As she went to stir her tea, Prince Blueblood made a comment.

"Auntie, where did you get that amazing spoon set?"

The room went dead silent, as all eyes instantly snapped towards her and the spoon in her hand. A single 'uhm' was all Celestia could muster, before all hell broke loose in the form of a collective gasp.

The nobility delved straight into a frenzy of gossip and speculation, all trying to reason what this could possibly mean. Celestia had never used a different set before! It was always the same for centuries! The nobles dispatched their underlings, not only to begin the search but also to notify the press. For the papers needed to know, Celestia had two new silver spoons.


All throughout the day the press ran stories about the significant event. Along with many who attempted to speculate or reason all the implications behind it.

Celestia uses two new spoons!

Who was the master craftspony behind them?

A gift from an unknown lover?!

Sign of the end times?!?!

Celestia had decided to not comment, as she did not want to have the noble horde descend upon Canterlot's only human and potentially drive him out of town. Regardless, the nobles after their breakfast continued to frantically scour Canterlot for the mystery master craftspony. With such developments, two nobles happened to be walking down Market Boulevard and turned down a particular street, Elder Street, and as they passed the sign that read 'Cliff's Crafts' one of the two commented. "What about that one?"

"No, couldn't possibly be that one; an unsightly creature lives there."

"Well have you looked at their wares?"

"No, but the master must be a pony. I'm sure of it."

"If you believe so." The two continued onward, giving the shop a wide berth like many others did. To the surprise of the nobility, their search never turned up anything. The silvers spoon set remained a object of mystery and speculation.