• Published 8th Aug 2012
  • 1,294 Views, 25 Comments

Enter: Fluttershy - Kirbster



Fluttershy is forced to face her past and her own inhabitions after each of her friends leave.

  • ...
1
 25
 1,294

Memories: Truth

"Get under my wing," a mare commanded, looking down at a young filly with an uncharacteristically dim fondness. The light trickle of rain turned into a raging storm just moments before the mare mandated such a thing. The filly did as she said, hanging her head just inches away from the ground. The two slowly trudged their way back up the trail, which started turning to mud under their hooves, making their already painfully sluggish pace even more so. The two ponies occasionally exchanged glances, the levels of venom the mare shot from hers gradually diminished over time. As they got further along, the filly gradually lifted her head.

"What were you thinking?" the mare asked, a strange mix of concern and interrogativeness, her eyes not straying from the path ahead.

The filly hesitated a few moments before saying "I guess I wasn't..."

"Then why did you run away?" the mare asked, her voice now taking a tone fit for chiding. This time, her eyes looked to the filly under her wing.

"I was... scared," responded the filly, lowering her head once more.

The mare gave this excuse a second of thought, she understood. Just to make her assumption was correct, she inquired "Of what?"

"Dad," was the filly's simple answer.

The mare nodded in silence, closing her eyes briefly, before opening them once more and fixing them on the the pair's destination. As the duo grew nearer and nearer to their destination, the mare began to fade. She finally vanished when the destination was reached.


A filly held a small music box, eying it with interest. "What is it?" she asked.

"It's the music box my mom gave to me when I was a filly," a mare replied. Under her breath, she continued "It's all I could get you for your birthday."

"What?" the filly answered, cocking her head in the direction of the mare she was addressing.

"Nothing," the mare hastily responded, feeling confident that the filly was too young to see through such a thin lie.

The filly continued to view the music box with curiosity, turning it this way and that, to get a view of it from every possible angle. There was a small crank on the right side which she had been hesitant to turn. The mare took this strangely thorough investigation as a lack of understanding, and took the initiative. "Turn the crank on the side," she lightly commanded.

"Okay," said the filly, doing as she had been told. The crank resisted slightly, but the filly was able to do so with little difficulty. Upon completion, a sweet melody began to play. It sounded almost lullaby-like. A small smile began to creep its way across the filly lips, eventually widening into a decently full grin. The mare sighed in relief.

"Do you like it?" asked the mare.

An enthusiastic "Yes," was the filly's simple response.

The mare smiled, her face almost glowing with joy. As her smile waned, so did she, until she completely disappeared.


A young filly lay in bed, building up a grand sneeze with exaggerated "Ah's" for some lengthy stretch of time. At the finale of the cadence of inhalations was a sneeze of notably anticlimactic petiteness. A mare stood over the filly, checking her temperature with a hoof. She withdrew the hoof and feigned a burn, producing a sizzling noise with her grinning mouth as she did so. The filly chuckled.

"You're burning up," she said, ceasing the fun and games briefly. The filly's face contorted with worry, unbeknownst to the mare, as she was currently measuring a proper amount of medicine to supply the filly. She filled a teaspoons with a, supposedly, cherry-flavored cough serum. "Open wide," she said, moving the spoon toward the filly's open mouth. Upon entrance, the filly winced as the taste hit her. "You have to swallow," the mare said in a playfully chastising tone. The filly, reluctantly, did so. The process was repeated for another teaspoon of the same medicine.

After a few moments of a similar wince followed by a pause, a smile crept across the filly's face as she cleared her throat.

"Feeling better?" asked the mare.

The filly made a soft affirmative noise and closed her eyes, her breathing growing slower as time went on.

The mare stood over the filly, her face forming a smile similar to one the filly displayed moments before. She took the blanket in her mouth and set it over the filly, making sure to do so with great care. She blew out the candle that sat on a small wooden table next to the bed and began to make her way out of the room, stepping in a very delicate manner as to make as little noise as possible. As soon as she reached the doorway, she vanished.


"But what if the other fillies and colts don't like me?" asked a filly, laying various items in a saddlebag.

"What isn't there to like about you?" a mare rebuked.

"I don't know," replied the filly, briefly pondering the question before responding.

"You're just being needlessly self-conscious."

The filly gave the mare a long blank stare, the only interim granted was a quick series of blinks.

"There's nothing to worry about," the mare said, rectifying her previous statement in a more understandable manner.

"I guess so," the filly said.

"You'll have fun, trust me."

"If you say so."

Just then, a chariot arrived at the door of the small cottage the two were currently residing in. The mare nudged the filly and gestured toward the door, waving with a wide grin on her face as the filly went her way. The moment the filly reached the doorway, the mare vanished.


"I love you," a mare remarked, looking lovingly at a filly that lay, coddled in her embrace.

"I love you too," the filly responded.


A filly wandered throughout a seemingly empty cottage, the only sounds being made were the high-pitched creaking of the floor boards under the filly's hooves. The same question escaped her lips time and time again: "Where are you?"

The filly stumbled this way and that, unable to see in the pitch darkness of the small cottage, the only light granted being the occasional flash of lightning, which startled the filly more than aided her in her search.


A filly stared at a mass of green fabric that sat in her hooves. She stared at it in every angle her neck could comfortably achieve, but the confused glance on her face never left.

"What's wrong?" asked a mare that sit across the room.

"What is it?" the filly asked in response.

"It's a sweater, silly filly," the mare answered, saying the latter two words in tone fit for foals.

"Oh."

The mare contorted her face in a painful, concerned way. She felt unappreciated.

"I love it," the filly choked out.

The mare's face brightened up.

The two embraced.

The mare disappeared.


The filly wandered from unlit room to equally unlit room, attempting to grasp some type of bearing on her surroundings. The cottage always felt very desolate, almost depressing. All of the empty rooms made the filly feel more lonely than vacated space would; she thought it to be an unpleasant feeling.

The filly began to reach her hooves out, feeling her way around the halls, attempting to find something-- anything-- to use for leverage or guidance. Then, she felt the answer to her prayers, a candle. Quickly, she grabbed the candle and attempted to find a means of fire. Warily, however, as she was always instructed to not play with fire.


A filly sat on the ground, admiring a wound that graced her leg. Tears welled up in her eyes as a mare took a swab with a strange liquid on it, and brushed it across the open wound.

"Why does it sting so much?" the filly asked.

"That means it's working," replied the mare.

The filly's eyes steadily grew wetter and wetter as the process proceeded. Once the mare was done with the swab, she tossed it aside and got out a soft fabric.

"What now?" asked the filly.

"Now we dress the wound."

The wound was dressed.

The filly smiled.

The two embraced.

The mare vanished.


The filly finally stumbled on what she had been searching for-- a pack of matches. The filly knew the owner of the matches, and knew he had a tendency for enjoying cigars. Taking his carelessness as a factor, she assumed they would be lying around somewhere that she could find them. Taking as much care as possible, she lit a match and used it to light the candle.

With light in hand, the filly continued her journey, stumbling from room to room, still asking the very same question: "Where are you?" However, it had gradually grown in worry and concern. The filly was now beginning to tear up, but she continued onward, steeling her courage every step of the way.


"Be careful, now," a mare said.

"I will," responded a filly.

A filly sat atop a stool.

She held spices.

She put spices into a pot.

The pot held stew.

The mare smiled at the filly.

The filly smiled back.

The filly turned.

Her tail hit the pot.

The pot fell.

The pot hit the floor.

Stew spilled.

The mare was silent.

The filly was silent.

They stared at each other.

The mare laughed.

The filly laughed.

The mare disappeared.


Under the guidance and assistance of the candle, the filly wandered the halls still. That same question still being brought forth: "Where are you?" Her search being so long fruitless had not made her completely lose hope, but the hope she did have was slowly waning over time. A dim light in her heart, however, never ceased to shine.

Finally, after what felt to be eons-long searching, the filly found her destination. The room that usually contained a familiar pony at this hour was empty, much to the confusion of the filly. She stumbled around the room for a few short moments before giving up her search in the immediate area.


"Ready or not, here I come" said a mare.

The mare turned.

The mare started to walk.

The mare looked around.

A giggle.

Another giggle.

A rustle.

A turn.

An opening.

Another giggle.

One more.

An embrace.

A vanishing.


Just as the filly met the doorway, a feint bumping sound was heard. Startled, she spun with blinding speed, but when she saw no culprit in her immediate vision, she felt relieved. After a few wary moments, the filly began to walk back into the room, attempting to deduce the reason behind the sudden, startling sound.

She opened a door.


A mare stood.

A filly stood.

Smiles.

Stares--unblinking.

Silence.

A blink.

A giggle.

Another giggle.

Smiles.

An embrace.

Vanish.


She looked around.


A mare stood.

A filly flew.

Words of encouragement.

Insecure rebuttals.

More words of encouragement.

Smiles.

A cheer.

Another.

More smiles.

Descent.

Embrace.

Vanish.


She looked up.


A bed.

A filly lay within.

A mare stood over her.

A lullaby.

Soft sounds of pleasure.

Coughs.

Worried expression.

Smile.

Another.

Vanish.


She gasped.


Mare.

Filly.

Play.

Rain.

Surprise.

Gesture.

Dash.

House.

Safety.

Vanish.


She cried.


Paint.

Crayon.

Pencils.

Paper.

Filly.

Work.

Mare.

Gift.

Smiles.

Embrace.

Vanish.


She ran.

Comments ( 7 )

One month for 2k words.

Am I good or what?

Joking aside, I know there will be shizzie tons of questions on the latest chapter. If it twists your panties to an intolerable degree, message me and I will explain (HYPER SPOILER ALERT). Otherwise, wait patiently until the next chapter and you shall see.

Nice chapter. I hope the next chapter will come little bit faster. :pinkiehappy:

I have to agree on the hope for speed, but I don't blame you for the time; the poetry in this is beautiful.

So I don't remember where I was going after that like month+ hiatus from internet.

But it was going to get good

so
uh

yeah

It's killing me knowing this story will probably never be finished. :(

STOP IT! STOP MAKING ME CRY!

1331987
Have we waited patiently enough or a few more years?

Login or register to comment