• Published 13th Jan 2019
  • 3,212 Views, 103 Comments

Thomas & Equestria Girls 2: Adventures From Sodor - LPFanFic



The Equestria Girls travel to the Island of Sodor to stop an old enemy and their devastating scheme. All while Thomas and his friends try to find purpose in an ever changing world.

  • ...
 103
 3,212

Chapter 23: Dirty Work

Thomas & Equestria Girls 2:
Adventures From Sodor!

Chapter 23: Dirty Work

That afternoon, the Wondercolts and Shadowbolts all met with Principal Cadance at Crystal Prep Academy. Both teams followed her through the corridors of CPA's hallways, passing by students who barely kept their snickers to themselves upon seeing the Engines walking by. Nobody had forgotten their embarrassing turn out during the Academic Decathlon the other day.

Meanwhile, Principal Cadance was going over the rules for their next event for the Crystal Race.

"Since we're fairly far into the fundraiser to compensate for the Wondercolt and their, uh, 'unusual tactics'," She said, politely. "We'll just have to work around what we're able to so both teams can have equal advantages."

But all anyone could do was exchange grievance through pestering glares. The Shadowbolts knew they couldn't be rude in front of Cadance. So, they tried holding all reserves as best they can, along with the Engines, who tried ignoring their opponents and the CPA students giving out their own judgmental and mocking glances to the Wondercolts. Diesel seemed to be the only one yuking up all the tension.

"Plenty of donors are thankfully still interested in contributing. So, if everyone can keep up the hard work, teamwork, sportsmanship and determination, then we may just prowl through and avoid any further complications."

Still nobody listened; unknown to Principal Cadance. James and Indigo Zap stared down, Toby and Sunny Flare shared unimpressed side glances, and Gordon and Sugarcoat could barely stand either one's prestigious arrogance. Emily tried not showing any ill will, but couldn't help herself after noticing Sour Sweet occasionally giving out her disapproval arched brow to each of her friends. The only ones getting along were Percy and Lemon Zest. Both were happily enjoying the music on her phone through their wireless pink and red headphones. They remained blissfully unaware of the tension.

At last, they reached the double doors leading to the school's welding and woodworking classrooms. Cadance held a door open first before stepping in.

"Here's where you'll begin prepping for today's event. I believe everyone will greatly enjoy what we have planned."

Percy decided to be nice and hold open a door for the other team. He hustled his way past both groups and caught the door before it closed. Then politely gestured his hand towards the Shadowbolt's direction.

"After you!" He smiled.

Sour Sweet sweetly clamped both palms together and smushed them against her cheek.

"What a little sweetheart!" She then bitterly shoved Percy aside. "Now out of my way!"

A disgruntled Percy rubbed his shoulder while watching Diesel and each Shadowbolt pass by. None of them didn't even acknowledge or thank him for his politeness. Diesel simply chuckled at his displeasure. His mood quickly changed, however, when Lemon Zest stopped and shot Percy a friendly smile. Percy happily gripped an ear muff from his red headphone with one hand and gestured her to go after him with the other.

"Thanks, Percer," She said, nudging his shoulder. "Cool song, right? Makes you wanna scream and shout!"

Though the volume wasn't as loud as she was used to, Lemon Zest kept it low so that Percy could enjoy the music only they could hear through their blue toothed headsets. The song was still rowdy enough for Lemon to rock out uncontrollably to and wail rocker screeches. Percy simply stood by the door and kept waving while sighing with bliss.

"Huh! The nerve of that diesel and those girls," James commented with crossed arms.

"Precisely," Gordon commented. "Hailing from a better school gives them no excuse to act all high and mighty."

"She doesn't seem all that bad," Percy said.

Both teens gave Percy a perplexed and suspicious brow. Percy quickly tried correcting himself when he noticed Gordon and James' judgement looming over him.

"I mean THEY! I mean, they're not nice… people."

Gordon and James simply shared confused glances to one another.


Everyone met near an empty space located near an opened garage door leading outside. There were some CPA students obstructing and crowding over small, strange looking vehicles. They touched up some portions of the secret objects.

Then, the Engines were all met with a surprise once the students stepped aside and went back to their work stations.

In front of them were two rows of six, downhill go karts. They were all identically constructed, and made almost entirely out of wood with the exception of a few parts that helped the vehicles function. Each Kart was built on metal chassis' that included cushioned leather seats, four foam-fitted tires, disc brakes, rubber bumpers on both ends, rollbars on the doors and trunk, and linear rack and pinion steering wheels.

The Engines were amazed by the karts. They murmured among each other with excitement, already getting a good idea of what their next challenge will be. Everyone went up to the two rows while Cadance began giving out instructions. But she couldn't help but notice something missing upon facing everyone.

"Are the Wondercolts short a member?" She asked.

Diesel and the Shadowbolts were quick to give their smug remarks to the other team regarding their missing member. Emily stepped up however to inform her.

"Yes, ma'am," She said. "Our friend Juniper took Thomas to film his big movie. We're not sure how long he'll be gone for."

"Will he be back before we actually begin?"

"He will. Thomas wouldn't abandon anything he set out to do."

"I should hope so. Otherwise, I might have to have someone else fill in for him if he's not on time. But seeing how we're already half way through, that's not entirely an option at this point either."

The Wondercolts were worried over the thought. Percy was just as anxious over Thomas not making it on time. Would they have to compete without him? But he and the others tried not to worry about it when Percy remembered what Cadance briefly mentioned what their first task will involve.

"Um, so, did you say something about decorating?"

"That's right!" She continued. "The next lap of the Crystal Race will be a downhill go kart derby, which will take place outside school grounds near Canter Slope Lane."

"Canter Slope Lane. That's like the steepest hill in the whole city!" Indigo Zap said anxiously, before striking her fists to the air in excitement. "Just how I like it!"

"Each team must first decorate their respected, handcrafted karts to sport their school's emblem along with any stylistic flare of your own choosing."

The Engines were in deed excited. They loved being painted as engines but now they were going to get to paint their very own karts. The thought of this activity sounded fun. The Shadowbolts weren't as eager though. They were more or less looking forward to actually competing once all the tedious bits were done and over with.

"It was Applejack and the others who made these?" Toby asked, after observing one of the karts.

"That is correct," Cadance confirmed. "Since your team was added at the last minute, you'll have to represent their work instead."

Toby and the others felt honored. But the Shadowbolts didn't think the Engines deserved to show off the karts Twilight and her friends made.

"The Shadowbolts will have to finish touching up their karts once classes are over for the day. Wondercolts, you're free to get started on yours in the meantime."

The Engines all cheered. They had plenty of ideas for how they were going to decorate their karts, especially after learning that their good friends were the ones who originally crafted them.

"I'll be organizing everything for the derby this afternoon. Please see Shining Armor if you have any questions." Principal Cadance then left while happily waving back at everyone. "Good luck, everyone!"

Everyone else tried wearing meek smiles while waving in return until she left the shop. When she did, both groups immediately went back to frowning, crossing arms, and giving out sneers to one another.

"So, your friend's starring in a movie now?" Lemon Zest asked Percy.

"That's right!" He said. "He's voicing himself in that new Thomas movie Juniper's uncle is making."

Sour Sweet slouched with disbelief. Everyone but Sugarcoat gave off similar impressions from this news. Diesel was more confused if anything.

"Seriously?" Sour Sweet said bitterly, then switched to being sarcastically sweet. "Well… good for him! I mean talk about perfect casting!"

"But-but, why would they make a movie about Thomas?!" Diesel said, flabbergasted.

"That's what we've been saying!" Gordon said.

"His TV show is really popular among kids in this world as it turns out," Toby explained.

This was all new to Diesel, who didn't have any words to questions its surrealness. 'How does Thomas have a TV show?' 'What even is a TV show', he thought.

Sour Sweet was going through her own comprehension. Why would he, of all people, be chosen to voice Thomas the Tank Engine? She thought of him only as completely pretentious and full of himself. From what she associated with Thomas' TV show, however, that might just fit the bill to a tee, especially with the new direction they've been taking his show. This still greatly irritated her.

"The guy does like referring to himself as such," Sunny Flare commented. "Of course, he'd want to embody the character any way he can."

"Ugh-bu, How?!" Sour Sweet stuttered, resentfully. "Doesn't the creator realize the mistakes they're making by going with such a thoughtless choice?"

"And you're getting worked up over a fictional character you used to like, why?" Sugarcoat said.

Sour Sweet leaned over her with a finger pointed in a threatening manner.

"I never like that dumb show! Got it?!"

Sugarcoat and the other Shadowbolts were a bit surprised by her defensive response. She turned to the engines again still bitter over Thomas' casting.

"I just don't get why they'd hire a huge jerk to voice an equally annoying cartoon train."

"Hey! Thomas isn't annoying or a jerk!" Percy said in his defense.

"Well…"

Emily shoved James' shoulder before he could finish, much to his arm rubbing irritation. Her and the other engines weren't about to start another argument with their opponents.

"C'mon, everyone," Emily suggested. "Let's find some paint pots to paint our karts with."

The Engines all left the room one by one. Percy made sure to stop and wave back to Lemon Zest before he too exits the woodshop. Lemon was in the middle of waving in return when she noticed all her friends crossing their arms and giving her disapproving glares.

"What's the deal with you and that Wondercolt anyways?" Indigo Zap interrogated.

"You do know he's on the other team, right?" Sunny Flare mentioned.

"Whatever. He's not like those other guys." She fiddled with her phone coyly, "Percy's cool. He likes listening to my music and stuff."

"We're not here to make friends with them, Lemon," Sour Sweet said.

"Yeah, well, weren't we also supposed to lay off budding heads with the other team? That's what we did with Twilight and her new friends."

"Only because they're not a bunch of stuck up, pretentious, showboating wannabees who don't know their place from the back of their hands," Sugarcoat said.

"It'll get Principal Cadance off our backs about sportsmanship," Lemon grinned, meekly.

Sunny Flare scoffed. "Friendship and sportsmanship are two vastly different subjects, dearie. One doesn't require having him listen to your music like you always try to do with us. So, keep your head in the game and drop him!"

Then Sugarccoat, Sunny Flare, and Indigo Zap all left for their classes with chins to the air while walking pass Lemon Zest, feeling rather offended. A conflicted Lemon Zest slouched in disappointment and followed her friends out of Woodshop anyways.


Sour Sweet was about to leave also, but Diesel called and stopped to get her attention. He had been concocting another devious ploy to throttle his team to victory. It was unfortunate that the others had to leave right has he finished processing his idea. But Sour Sweet was still all he needed to try and confide his plans with, given her own self-appointed position.

"Sour Sweet," He said. "I'd like to ask something; something only you, as our fearless leader, can approve of."

"Thought you were in charge now," Sour Sweet crossed her arms.

"But, why would I be when we all know you're what's keeping our team going?"

"Really?" She asked, sweetly surprised.

"That is what you've been doing, hasn't it?" He smiled.

Unknown to anyone, however, Juniper Montage entered the shop to look for Thomas' friends. Her and Thomas had arrived at CPA after Thomas finished recording his movie lines for the day. She was told they'd be working on their karts in woodshop. But instead, she only found Diesel and Sour Sweet alone and talking about something she could faintly hear. She hid outside by the garage door, standing stiff with her back pressed against the purple bricked wall.

It didn't matter how appreciative she felt over his acknowledgment. Sour Sweet smelt something fishy. It seemed way out of place for Diesel and his off-putting smile to suddenly refer to her as their leader.

"What do you want?"

He wrapped an arm over Sour Sweet's shoulder, much to her irritation and discomfort.

"It won't look good for this race or your 'reputation' if the Wondercolts end up stealing another win from us. You and I both agree that can't happen."

She promptly slipped from his wrap.

"Yeah. And?"

"Wouldn't it be unfortunate for the other team if their karts just so happen to… fall apart during the race?"

Sour Sweet raised a questionable brow.

"Maybe the wheels fly off or the steering isn't quite right. Whatever the case; it would ensure our victory with no way for the Wondercolts to catch up."

"You want us to cheat?"

"Not cheat. More like, giving us an advantage."

"That's still cheating, Diesel!"

"Oh, please! A little accidental kick to the wheel and a loosening of the steering rod is all it'll take. I'd hardly call that interfering much!"

Sour Sweet panned over to the two kart rows, particularly the ones Twilight's new friends from the original Wondercolts team made, ones that Thomas and his friends would now be representing in their supposed honor. Diesel crept in closer and spoke with confidence and a cunning demeanor.

"Besides, the Wondercolts are properly incompetent. It'll just look like their school couldn't assemble their own karts as far as anyone's concerned. No one will ever have to know. It is consistent enough to seem believable."

Sour Sweet stood, stunned and uncertain. It did sound easy. The thought was very tempting. After this, it'd be next to impossible for the Wondercolts to even earn any points to surpass their lead. Diesel continued looming over her, thinking he was winning her over to his idea.

"I know I'd want to see those silly steamies fall. Just as I know very well you do too. What do you say?"

Sour Sweet didn't know what to think.

She did want to win over the Wondercolts. But deep down she knew that sabotaging the other team was wrong, especially when her and her team have been guilty of such similar acts; acts that've blow up in their faces and risked either destroying their world, or losing a simple dance video competition due to their own derivative conundrum. Sour Sweet was then reminded of Diesel's unhelpful antics during his period with her team. And the fact that he was suggesting a deceitful ploy showed he truly did have just as little experience as the Wondercolts do to stoop so low.

Juniper Montage was speechless. She kept her mouth covered to avoid being heard. Things became too quiet, which frightened Juniper into taking off as quick as she can before anyone learned she was there.

Still eyeing all their karts, Sour Sweet then wore a scowling glare and clenched her fists tight the more she thought it.

"No."

"Um, what?" Diesel asked, a bit shocked.

"I tried using dirty tactics once to win something, and it almost backfired on us. So, don't even think about laying a finger on any of their karts because so help me!"

Diesel flinched with fright when Sour Sweet waved her fist out in a threatening manner. She then pointed and tapped his chest with her finger. If there was one thing Sour Sweet was certain of, she wasn't about to stoop so low again.

"We're gonna win our way because the Shadowbolts are smarter and better! And we don't need to steal, copy, or cheat to show it!"

Sour Sweet then stormed away, leaving Diesel alone to twitch in terror until she was gone. When she was, Diesel lets out a relaxed sigh and smiled.

"Oh, how noble of you Shadowbolts. Too bad I couldn't care less!"

He then went over to the shop class student, who where sitting by their workbenches, busy with their own project and not paying any mind to anything until Diesel appeared.

"Would it be possible for you lads to make a few 'modifications' to some of the apposing team's karts?"

The group of CPA students all looked at each other, deciding on what to agree on. Then each of them smirked deviously while holding up some wrenches, power tools, and wood cutters. The Shadowbolts may be against sabotaging the other team, but most CPA students never really liked the new Wondercolts, and were more than willing to do just about anything to see them fail again. Diesel directed them to which karts to tackle and stepped out the way so they could get to work.

Everyone got started on disassembling the Wondercolt's karts.

Diesel laughed manically under his nasally chortle while watching the CPA students loosen and tear apart the wheels, steering wheels, bumpers, and whatever modifications that were made to function properly. They would then move on to reassemble them again so they'd feel loose enough to completely fall off when taken out to the racing slope.

One thing Juniper Montage knew as she frantically searched for her friends was to warn them before it was too late.


Meanwhile, the Engines had collected enough paint pots and decorating tools and were heading back to Woodshop through CPA's hallways.

"Mine's going to be a lovely emerald with sparkling gold," Emily said, eagerly.

"Mine's going to be shiny and red like myself," James boasted. "It'll be a splendid sight for the judges to get a load of this team's standout contestant."

"Maybe Gordon should paint his to resemble Shooting Star then," Toby joked.

Everyone laughed but Gordon only groaned and shivered over his reminder.

"I'll have to find somewhere to place these," Percy said, referring to the red headphones around his neck. "I'd hate to damage Lemon Zest's headphones while we're busy painting."

"Why are you carrying around those things anyway, Percy?" James asked

"Don't tell us you two are actually friends," Gordon said.

Percy's face flushed red. "Well, she is very nice. And she did give me these so we can both listen to her songs."

"I think it's nice that they're getting along," Emily said. "At least one Shadowbolt is trying to be friendly."

"Huh! They're all nothing but trouble," Gordon refuted. "Have you not seen how they treat us? Treated me; like I'm some silly tank engine?!"

"Exactly," James added. "You can't trust those Shadowbolts. She's probably just spying on us. I bet that's why she gave you those headphones, Percy, so her teammates can listen in on everything we're planning!"

"That's not what they're for, James," Toby corrected. "I agree with Emily. Maybe it'll teach her own friends to start acting friendly too."

"It's not the proper thing to make friends with our opponents," Gordon said. "Percy, the next time you see Lemon Zest, return those headphones and quit speaking with her."

"But…" Percy sighed.

He didn't know what to say. So, he simply looked down at his feet and didn't speak another word on the matter. The other engines mostly took his silence as his agreement. But Percy didn't want to end his friendship with Lemon Zest.


Then, Percy was shocked when he looked down the hall and saw two familiar figures approaching them. His eyes widened with disbelief.

"Edward?!"

"Edward?!" Toby also said. "Where?"

"Don't be silly, you two," Gordon said. "Edward is still back on Sodor…"

He stopped himself midsentence when the two figures appeared closer for him and everyone else to finally make out as well.

"Edward?" He said, astounded.

Approaching them from across the hallways was Sunset Shimmer, along with Edward, baring the same recognizable and reassuring smile he was known for.

Everyone immediately dropped everything and ran over to him, all except Gordon. They crowded around Edward in a group hug. Edward wasn't prepared for their bombardment, but still laughed along with his friends regardless and allowed them to fully embrace him for as long as they did. He was too thrilled to see all his friends again to care about anything. Percy, Toby, Emily and James took their turns expressing their gratitude's, both in regards to his safety and the efforts Sunset's friends must've made to get him here.

Sunset Shimmer simply stood by with a smile and crossed arms. She was proud to see him reunited with the other engines again. Edward still had on an untucked white dress shirt, a blue sweater with an open chest pocket and a yellow number 2 patched on side pocket. Blue twill pants with a red belt and blue suede shoes with red lacing from when he first entered the world of Canterlot High.

Gordon wouldn't dare let Edward see him. He was too ashamed over what happened to Edward and Henry because of what he felt guilty for. Rainbow Dash had already assured Gordon that his speed wasn't what caused their capture. But Gordon still felt that Edward and Henry would still be cross getting them caught in the first place. So, he kept his distance from Edward, hoping that he doesn't speak or notice him.

"Gordon!" Edward greeted, happily. "Aren't you gonna join us?"

Gordon shyly inched closer to everyone. Edward found his behavior strange. He tried checking up on Gordon but everyone began asking him questions regarding what state Sodor was in. Edward had just as many questions but was equally happy to answer what he could.

"Wow! Nice duds, everyone," Edward complimented. "You fit in pretty nicely with Canterlot City."

James proudly wasted no time showing off his outfits.

"Rarity put them all together especially for us."

"We missed you so much, Edward!" Emily said. "You're not hurt at all, are you?"

"Nope! Good as new, Emily. Better even."

"But, what about Henry?" Percy asked, looking to Sunset. "I don't see him with you two."

"We could only rescue Edward," Sunset made clear. "Henry's still okay… for now at least. We're working on-"

Suddenly, Percy went up and hugged Sunset Shimmer next, much to her surprise.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, Sunset!"

Sunset smiled and gently patted the top of his head.

"So," Edward said, "you're all competing for a fundraising competition I hear."

"How-"

Percy was cut off when Sunset answered for him with a rather stern tone.

"We stopped by Canterlot High and heard who replaced us from Principal Celestia."

The Engines soon remembered what Sunset and her friends told them about entering the Crystal Race. They shifted from ashamed, guilt ridden, and playing up sheepish smiles to seem innocent. But Sunset Shimmer and her strict demeanor weren't falling for it.

"Would now be a bad time to mention that Diesel's also competing and that if we lose, we leave Sodor forever?" Toby asked, shyly.

Sunset was shocked. Then she grits her teeth angrily at the thought, mostly with Diesel and how he must've cornered them into agree with his offer. 'So that's what Diesel and her Sodor friends have been doing the whole time,' she thought. She was properly frustrated.

"That would be a definite yes, Toby," Emily said, nervously.

She pinched the bridge of her nose then tried to calm down before speaking again.

"Why would you guys agree to anything he says, especially after we specifically said not to join in the first place?!"

"It wasn't our idea," James defended. "Thomas was the one who opened his big mouth when he tried making friends with the Shadowbolts."

Sunset was still disparaging when everyone saw yet another blue figure approaching her from behind. He was running fast and slowed down as Thomas finally arrived to meet his friends.

"Oh! Speaking of which," James judged. "Look who finally decided to show up."

Thomas leaned on his knees and panted. "I'm sorry, everyone. Recording lines takes a lot longer than you'd think."

"Well, you better not let it hold you up again, Thomas," Gordon reprehended. "We can't afford to let that silly movie of yours cost us the game."

"I'm not even gonna ask," Sunset said.

Then Edward went up to Thomas next.

"Say, Thomas, what's this I hear about us being famous in this world?"

Thomas' eyes widened and looked up to see Edward smiling down at him. He was nearly speechless at first, double blinking before catching on who's standing in front of him. This wasn't a dream. His good friend Edward was really here. Thomas' overjoyed relief and excitement then kicked into overdrive.

"E-Edward? You're here! You're actually here?!"

"I sure am, Thomas."

He then embraced Thomas as quickly as he did. The two friends were grateful to be reunited once again. Thomas peaked behind Edward to see Sunset Shimmer standing behind and let's go to greet her next.

"Sunset! You did it! You rescued Edward and Henry!"

"Ah, just me, actually, Thomas," Edward corrected.

"Oh."

Thomas felt a little disappointed. But having Edward with them now gave him hope that Henry would soon be on his way sooner than Edward did.

"But you and the others will rescue Henry soon, right?"

But Sunset kept her arms crossed and gave a judgmental glare while tapping her elbow. Thomas' smile slowly faded to confusion over her arched brow, frown, and lidded eyes. He eventually caught on what she was getting at and sheepishly rubbed the back of his head while darting his surroundings.

"Oh, uuh. By the way, we entered the Crystal Race," He chuckled, coyly.

"You don't say," She scolded. "And now you're competing to prevent Diesel from kicking you off Sodor?!"

"Hey, at least we're doing better than you said we would," Thomas refuted. "We even won the first challenge."

"And the next challenge involves another race but with karts now," James said. "None of that math or sciency nonsense. Just a good old-fashioned race to score more points."

"Great. How many points did you make in the decathlon?" Sunset asked.

James and the others all exchanged shamed glances and hung their heads while rifling through yesterday's event. They didn't do well at all. Only Toby was able to score them points, but even then the Decathelon put the Wondercolts far behind. Thomas sighed too upon remembering his failure during the last half of that event, which was publicly displayed for both schools to witness and laugh at.

"I'm sorry, Sunset. The Shadowbolts needed a team to compete against them. I know we're not doing so good. I just wanted to be really useful and help their fundraiser."

Sunset sighed and rested a hand on Thomas' shoulder. She tried to forgo her frustration in an effort to

"You weren't wrong for thinking that, Thomas. I just didn't want you getting hurt. And now with Diesel complicating things here too-"

"Huh! Diesel hardly contributes much to their team anyways," Gordon claimed.

"But they are still in the lead," Emily added.

"If racing's how you guys won in the first place," Edward commented. "Then perhaps this next race should do the trick."

The way Sunset scolded him and his friends made Thomas feel bad all over again regarding their dodgy competition. Why was she so against them competing? The Shadowbolts may be difficult but he believed they could still pull through. So, how come his best friend from Canterlot High didn't?

He had to know if what Sour Sweet said was true; that his Canterlot High friends didn't want them joining their race, because they didn't believe they could last.

"Sunset?" Thomas asked, sincerely. "Do you not think we can do this?"

Sunset was a bit hesitant to respond. She'd completely forgotten to be cross and picked up on Thomas' change in mood.

"Oh. Uh. It doesn't matter what I think, really."

"Did you though? Is that why you didn't want us competing?"

Sunset didn't want to hurt his feelings. But her and Thomas were close enough to tell each other anything. That's what their whole friendship was built upon. Why would he seek her advice if it wasn't? Sunset knew she had to tell him the truth, despite how brutal her response felt.

"I…" her shoulders slouched. "Yes."

Thomas was hurt. Sunset stared at his solemn frown hunched shoulders. It was clear Thomas may have also been having the exact same uncertainty she held against him during this whole race. But given what her friends where going through on Sodor, Sunset figured maybe she shouldn't have outright doubted Thomas or his willingness to face the odds against him. She felt right in worrying about him and keeping his friends safe, especially after almost losing them during their escape in the first place, but not in hindering or telling Thomas he couldn't accomplish anything in their world. Remembering what her own friends went through to get Edward back allowed her to see Thomas' situation in a different light.

Sunset knew just what to say to put her good friend back at ease.

"Hey," She said, arching his chin, "Key word being did, right? Who am I to judge if you've clearly been doing just fine?"

Thomas remained slouched but still looked at her.

"My friends have all been working hard to save your world despite not knowing anything about trains. And look what we've accomplished because of it."

The two looked back at Edward and the Engines all talking and laughing.

"If it makes you feel better," Sunset continued, "I'll admit that I was bit surprised you've managed to stay in the race this long."

"That's what I thought!" He grinned. "Aw, you should've seen us when we won that roller skate challenge, Sunset."

"I imagine that must've been pretty painful, actually," she crossed her arms with amusement.

"It kinda was, especially for Diesel. Guess you could say he really is 'full of surprises'," Thomas said, mimicking Diesel's voice.

Him and Sunset shared a light chuckle.

"So, you're not worried at all about Diesel?" She proceeded to crack her knuckles, "'cause I can easily take care of that problem."

Thomas shook his head. "There's no way I'm letting devious Diesel push us around."

Sunset Shimmer then happily locked her gaze into his while relaying some hopeful advice.

"That's great. If you really believe you guys can do this, then don't let me, the Shadowbolts, or anyone tell you different. Just get out there and do what you've always been best at."

Thomas felt grateful all over again. He nodded in agreement while he and Sunset exchanged heartfelt smiles. The only thing he really needed was to have all his friends by his side, and to hear his best friend from Canterlot High's usual words of wisdom invigorating and jump-start a new spark in his heart. He only wished she could stay around to hand out more prep talks a lot longer. Thomas always felt better after talking with Sunset. But he, as well as the others, all knew she had to get back to Sodor and continue her important job.

Before she did, both Sunset and Thomas embraced in a much-needed hug. But Sunset's spiked, vest jacket poked Thomas chest and forced him to let go.

"Ow," he rubbed his chest.

"Ops. Sorry. Keep forgetting about the spikes," Sunset blushed, gripping her vest.

Thankfully, Thomas didn't mind much despite the pain.

"Take care, okay?" She said, playfully bumping his arm with her fist. "We'll be back with Henry before you know it."

Thomas was sad to see Sunset leave but still said his goodbyes regardless. He didn't want his friend to leave just yet, but knew she was returning back to Sodor to accomplish much more important matters. The Engines all said their goodbyes as well and waved until Sunset descended down Crystal Prep Academy's hallways.

Just then, the Engines heard Juniper Montage sprinting up to them. She stopped to catch her breath once she finally caught up.

"Oh, Juniper!" Thomas waved. "I found the others. And look who else is here with them!"

Juniper panted and with exhaustion. She had just circled almost the whole school looking for Thomas. Then her panting paused when she gasped upon noticing a tall blue teen.

"Wait. Is… Is that! Are you?! Is he?!"

"Hello, there," Edward greeted, politely. "You must be Juniper Montage."

Now Juniper could hardly contain her giddiness. She let out a small squee but soon shook it off for the time being.

"My fangirling will have to wait!"

"What's the matter, Juniper?" Thomas asked, sensing something wrong.

"Diesel and the Shadowbolts are cheating!" She exclaimed.

Everyone gasped in utter shock.

"I heard him and Sour Sweet talking about disassembling your karts!"

"Wait," Emily said. "Are you sure that's what you really heard?"

"Of course, I did! I barely made it out before they could realize I was there."

"Just saying. Shadowbolts are competitive but I don't think they're one for cheating. They're too depended on this school's reputation to risk cutting corners."

"And Sunny Flare told me she didn't want us getting hurt," Toby agreed. "She said so herself."

"Well, you might wanna double check anyways," Juniper insisted. "Because they've likely already done it by now."

The Engines still weren't so sure. They expected Diesel to be devious enough to suggest such a thing. But for the Shadowbolts to agree and execute his plan was something they had to see themselves.


Back in the woodshop, Thomas and his friends all stood over their karts. But they all looked perfectly fine, like they haven't even been touched yet.

"Oh," Edward said. "They look just fine to me."

But it wasn't until Thomas went up to one of their karts that they soon caught on to the damage done. He tried opening its door, only for it to detach without effort and hang off it's hinge. Then the wheel loosened from its attachment and collapsed the left side of the kart halfway, loosening and shaking off more pieces.

The wheel that rolled off passed the group and their stunned, dismayed expressions.

"I don't believe it," Toby said, speechless. "They really did rig our karts."

Toby was now questioning everything Sunny Flare had told him that night of the first competition. Percy went up to a kart himself and gently tapped the front bumper, which fell off and clanged against the cold steel floor.

"How could Lemon Zest do this?!" Percy gasped in disbelief. "I… I thought we were friends."

"What did I tell you, Percy?" James retorted with a head shake. "You can't trust a Shadowbolt."

A wave of disappointment and heartache flushed over Percy. He felt utterly betrayed, enough to feel like tearing up, but didn't bring himself to do so.

"We should tell Principal Cadance," Gordon said. "She'll surely have them properly punished. Maybe even redux their score."

Thomas was appalled. He agreed that something had to be done. But what? Thomas pondered to himself. He tried thinking of Sunset Shimmer, and the word of advice she had just given him.

"Hmm. 'Do what I've always been best at'."

It was then that he came up with a cheeky idea. If Diesel was that desperate to bring them home, and the Shadowbolts were more than willing to aid his schemes, then they needed to be taught a lesson. Looking over everyone's paint cans and decorative items, he knew just how to do so.

Thomas went over to Percy and laid a sympathetic hand on his best friend's shoulder.

"Don't worry, Percy. We're not going to let them get away with this."

"But how?" Juniper asked. "Everything's rigged to fall off the second you take it on the slope."

"Maybe we can fix them," Emily suggested.

"There's no way we can drive in these conditions," James said. "Even if we could fix it, the Race is starting today."

Thomas grinned a cheeky smile. "That's why I have an idea to teach Diesel and those Shadowbolts what happens when someone cheats."


To Be Continued.