• Published 13th Jan 2019
  • 3,186 Views, 103 Comments

Thomas & Equestria Girls 2: Adventures From Sodor - LPFanFic



The Equestria Girls travel to the Island of Sodor to stop an old enemy and their devastating scheme. All while Thomas and his friends try to find purpose in an ever changing world.

  • ...
 103
 3,186

Chapter 27: Underlying Tension

Thomas & Equestria Girls 2:
Adventures From Sodor!

Chapter 27: Underlying Tension

[Early Morning: Day of the Kart Race]

Thomas was back at Canterlot's movie studio recording lines for his self titled film about his adventures from Sodor. Many crewmen were busy hustling and bustling filming different scenes involving many life sized, stand in engines that occupied varying sets. Some were located both indoors and outside for ones that were too big to film inside. There was the Knapford Station set, Tidmouth Sheds, Wellsworth, and Elsbridge, and life-sized props of Percy, James, and Gordon were there too. Canter Zoom, the film's director, and his crew were currently in the middle of filming another scene with the life-sized Thomas prop. Things went smooth to Canter Zoom's liking, and production continued running as such even when moving on to shooting more scenes with the human actors and more Thomas scenes.

While production was at work, Thomas himself was inside a lavished, 5th wheeled trailer parked outside the studio lot. He sat down across from G. B. Keeling Jr. enjoying cups of tea. He was tired from having to wake up so early. He didn't understand why Canter Zoom wanted him to come into work when they weren't even recording his lines yet.

Luckily, his tea helped to rejuvenate and supply him with enough energy to start off the day. The two chatted on about recent events from Thomas' adventures; adventure Thomas hoped had already played out on his show.

"And that's when Hurricane shoved me out of the hot slag, only to get himself caught instead! But then, Merlin appeared and saved Hurricane's wheels from completely melting off!"

"Oh my!" G. B. Keeling was shocked.

"But luckily, they managed to fix them afterwards. They even allowed Merlin, Lexi and Theo to work at the Steelworks. And that's how my new experimental friends became really useful engines."

Keeling took a sip of his tea before speaking.

"I must say, none of that sounded remotely like anything Father would write. How on earth do those show runners concoct such absurd premises?"

"Aren't our adventures, I mean my show, I-I mean, Thomas' show, based on his books?" Thomas kept correcting himself.

"They're more loosely based. Everything is unique to the show now. Father only wrote a couple titles before I took over after his retirement."

"Did any of your stories make it into Thomas' show too?"

"Not all, but some did. Some they've even had me write to be specifically adapted for television."

Thomas was amazed. "Wow!"

"So, tell me, Mr. Wheeler," Keeling smiled, "what else would you like to know since we're on topic? Better to have base knowledge of this franchise if you're to be portraying it's biggest star."

"Well…"

Thomas thought about it though several sips of his tea. How could he ask about Adventures From Sodor when he already knew most about it through his own experience? He couldn't ask anything too specific either without giving himself away as being the actual Tank Engine Keeling's father created. But despite sharing some stories of his recent adventures, Keeling didn't seen to have watched most of the show's recent stories from the sounds of it. Something sprung to mind when Thomas thought about what Quibble Pants said at the Thomas theme park.

"Is it true people are really mad about how different the show is from your books?"

Keeling didn't expect this kind of question from Thomas. Most people would just up and critique his work or how drastically different the show is now a days. He had his own opinions regarding people's plethora of complaints, but Thomas appeared curious to know what it was that sparked this outrage. Keeling deduced how to politely explain it to Thomas through sips of his tea before speaking.

"Eh… more recently than usual. I suppose they too disagree with the changes Thomas' show is undergoing."

"But why is that? Quibble Pants says that they're doing everything wrong, but how can that be when my friends and I... uh, thought they were fine... to us at least," Thomas grinned, meekly.

"Well, my father was always very protective of his work. He certainly wasn't a fan of how his stories where adapted. Executives didn't really care much about railway realism so long as it entertained children."

"That's what Quibble Pants mentioned," Thomas said.

"It would seem this same devotion and purism are in deed reflected in readers who grew up on the original books and earlier episodes."

"So, they're only upset about all the changes; that traveling to new places and getting rid of Edward and Henry doesn't properly represent your father's stories?"

"In their own overtly aggressive manner. But people have their own right of expressing love for something they identify with."

Thomas was puzzled. "I guess. That's a weird way of showing how much you love something, though."

He then began wondering just how different the books were from his show to spark such a riff. If Cartoon Thomas was nothing like how he actually was, Thomas knew for sure he'd might find it a little displeasing. And the more he thought about it, Thomas hadn't actually seen an actual episode from his show. How silly and unrealistic did they make him exactly? Didn't they play out just like how he lived it back on Sodor? Quibble's complaints echoed in his head again; how Thomas lost its charm with the addition of different animation, simplified stories, introducing new elements and characters, and many other criticisms Thomas couldn't keep track off.

"I can't blame them, really," G. B. Keeling commented. "Based on that premise you just told me, I know for a fact Father wouldn't stand for none of it. He'd have Thomas' show and this entire production, for that matter, shut down within weeks."

"Oh, right," Thomas slouched, sheepishly. "You don't really like this movie either, huh?"

He remembered Keeling's comment's about Canter Zoom's insistence on changing Sodor's setting to appeal to modern audiences.

Keeling shrugged. "Everything else encompassing this movie might be utter rubbish, but I at least have complete solace in it's main lead role being this production's most faithful aspect."

"Really?" Thomas stood in his seat.

"Believe me, Mr. Wheeler," Keeling smiled, "I knew you were right for this job the moment I heard your voice. People young and old will witness a true return to form from your portrayal of Thomas, and all the roaring fun and excitement he brings on his adventures. Truly, a step in the right direction."

Thomas beamed a happy smile over the thought. Maybe, he thought, if he did portray the character right, then even more people would love him and his show again. But Thomas was completely oblivious to all the changes being made on this movie as well. It was going to take much more than just an accurate portrayal to win over everyone.

"Any who, how's CPA's charity event coming along?"

"Oh, it's going great!" Thomas scratched the back of his head. "Well, actually, my team only gained six points. The Shadowbolts have eight now."

"Well, you still have plenty opportunities to bounce back."

"I hope so. It's just so hard. My friends and I knew next to nothing about what we were doing. I'm still confident we'll win, but if today's challenge is even more difficult…"

G. B. Keeling could sense some distress in Thomas, who trailed off and began thinking about their odds again.

"Steam, this charity is more important than winning or getting ahead the other team. It's an opportunity for students to receive the same amount of proper education, to pass on years worth of teachings and history so they themselves can gather what they've learned, and repeat the same process in whatever suitable fashion."

Thomas did feel a lot better from hearing Keeling's words. This event had become more exhausting for him or his friends. It was much needed to be reminded of why they were competing to begin with, and not just trying to prevent Diesel and the Shadowbolts from taking the lead and being force to return to Sodor in disgrace. Thomas still had a point to prove; that his friends can still be really useful even in a world they barely understood. But everything else that the Crystal Race hopes to benefit felt that much more important.

"So, whatever it is your team's doing, Mr. Wheeler, keep at it. Then you'll see rather quickly, how a lot of good can bring joy to those who'd not realize what they may be missing."

Thomas smiled again and thought about his words some more. Maybe if he does win the games, people will like him and his show even more, which would prompt them to stop judging Thomas, and realize all the good him and his friends can offer despite being engines out of place.

Just then, Juniper Montage entered their trailer.

"Come on, Thomas," She beamed, eagerly. "Uncle Zoom needs you at the recording booth again!"

"Alright!" Thomas stood excitedly from his seat. "Thank you for the tea, Mr. Keeling! I really did enjoy our chat."

"As did I," He said, kindly. "Be sure to stop by my trailer again if you're not busy."

"I'd like that very much. Bye for now!"

"And bare in mind our last discussion when your next race begins, Mr. Wheeler," He reminded.

"Yes, Sir!" Thomas saluted.

Then he followed Juniper out of G.B. Keeling's trailer while looking back and waving goodbye. Keeling waved goodbye in return, before going on to stroke his beard with perplexity. He still couldn't figure out why Steam Wheeler sounded awfully familiar in the way he spoke and presented himself.


[Later That Day; After the Kart Race.]

People at Crystal Prep Academy were now cleaning up after the Go Kart Derby ended. Visitors from Canterlot High still occupied CPA's halls, waiting to go back to their own school again. The Race had gotten everyone pumped. They thought the end results and close calls were thrilling. While some CPA students were still bitter over their unexplained lost, they too admitted how fun they had and conversed with CHS students who shared similar opinions about what went down.

The Engines traveled through the corridors, listening to all the talk surrounding their win. CPA students glared or reserved judgement, but CHS students, however, had a different response.

"Rock on, Wondercolts!" One student said.

"Rad driving, bros!" Another said.

"Yay, Wondercolts!"

More praises, even some unheard criticism slipped in, made all the engines feel special again. This was an entirely different response than what they got from CHS students the other day. Even some Shadowbolt supporters kindly applauded their success a little. The Engines loved all the attention, especially Gordon and James, who felt their team hasn't been receiving enough of since the first round, and given how Thomas nearly hogged it all once the race ended.

"Do they really mean it, or is this another form of teasing?" Toby asked.

"Who cares," James gloated. "We're back to being praised again!"

"I'll take what I can get at this point," Gordon said. "After all, we finally proved to those Shadowbolts what a true steamie's strength and aptitude can bring!"

"And got in trouble with Principal Cadance because of it," Emily reminded.

"I told you switching their karts out with yours wasn't a good idea," Edward reminded.

"Don't tell us." James said. "It's Thomas' fault we have to be punished once the Crystal Race is over."

"No, James," Toby said. "We're also to blame for agreeing. It might've seemed right at the time, but the outcome wasn't what neither of us hoped for."

While everyone chatted, Percy kept to himself. He hunched over somberly with hands in his pockets. Percy kept thinking about Lemon Zest. Did she really help her friends rig their karts, or was it really only Diesel who had his hand in it? Percy didn't know, and he didn't want to find out for fear of what the true answer will be. Given the Shadowbolt's attitude towards his friends, and their reputation with competition, it was hard to believe who was telling the truth.

"Everything okay, Percy?" Edward asked, looking concerned.

"Not really," He admitted, dejectedly.

"Maybe we should talk to Principal Cadance and explain what we did," Emily suggested.

Percy wanted go get his mind off of Lemon Zest, so he immediately rejoined when Emily brought up talking to Cadance.

"We can't do that, Emily," Percy said. "Then Thomas will get in even bigger trouble."

"Huh! Serves him right for getting us into this mess," Gordon said.

"Where is Thomas, by the way?" Emily asked, looking over the group.

"Oh, yes," James realized. "And where's Juniper?"

The Engines looked and noticed she wasn't with them either. So, they began looking around each corridor of CPA to find their friends.


Meanwhile, Diesel and the Shadowbolts were talking to Principal Cadance by her office entrance. Cadance was about to leave when the Shadowbolts showed up to tell her about Diesel in hopes of booting him off the Shadowbolts. But Cadance wouldn't allow it, much to their confusion and frustration. They tried convincing her that another Shadowbolt could take his place easily, but the process of finding someone to do so was one they haven't thought through.

"But Principal Cadance!" Sour Sweet objected. "Diesel's been holding us back since the very beginning, and now look what he's done."

Diesel was not happy to say the least. He remained quiet for the most part, standing aside with crossed arms as he pouted.

"I'm sorry, everyone" Cadance said, politely. "But it's too late to switch out competitors this far into the games. The teams stay as they are."

"But-But," Sour Sweet stuttered. "Diesel-"

"I've already spoken to Principal Celestia on the matter. And she's allowed Shining Armor and I to sort out both yours and the Wondercolt's punishments."

The Shadowbolts were shocked. Diesel, on the other hand, was pleasantly relieved, but was still disappointed to have to serve time at their school afterwards. He had more important things to do after he wins the Crystal Race. Still, Diesel kept up his ploy to avoid making himself look guilty in front of their principal, and to make it so his teammates appeared as collective culprits.

"That's not fair!" Indigo Zap argued. "WE had nothing to do with it!"

"How about treating your fellow competitors with disrespect," Diesel smirked, throwing them under the bus.

"You know what, Diesel," Sour Sweet got in his face, "I'm tired of your little charade!"

Then the two teens, with the others chiming in, all broke into a dispute over who's really to blame. They knew very well that their karts disassembling was Diesel's doing, but his firing back with the fact that the Shadowbolts haven't been displaying friendly sportsmanship made them jump to their own defence. Cadance, meanwhile, watched in horror at the bickering and arguing, both disappointed and saddened by their behavior. No matter how much she hoped the games could change their attitude, they really haven't changed a bit.

She lets out a dejected sigh, catching the Shadowbolt's attention.

"And here I thought this race would've been fun for everyone," She admitted. "I never wanted things to come to this. The competition, the arguments, the blaming. This isn't what a charity event should inspire. I picked you girls because I thought working for a good cause would inspire you to sport a friendly game. But now it's all a disaster."

It was then that the Shadowbolts began feeling sorry for their principal. The Crystal Race was meant to be played for a good cause, but all they've done was make things worse, which was the last thing they wanted to do. This was important to them. But much like their competitors, they too lost site of what really mattered, and revered back to old habits in response to the other team's own inert self-confidence. Now all their bickering and arguments had begun to affect Principal Cadance in a way they never considered.

Everyone but Diesel shared looks of concern and guilt. Cadance was only trying to help them become better representors of their school. Only things haven't been giving them much excuse to act upon such request. The Shadowbolts slowly but surely began to see the error of most their ways. After acknowledging and agreeing on what the right thing to do for Cadance and their cause, they nodded and allowed Sunny Flare to speak first.

"Principal Cadance?"

She glumly looked to her students. Sunny Flare and the rest mustered up the courage to admit their poor behavior.

"We're really sorry," She slouched. "For our behavior, messing up the race, everything."

"Clearly, we've been participating with needless, overachieving mindsets and not with our best merits," Sugarcoat admitted.

"We'll accept whatever punishment you have for us," Lemon Zest said, hugging her arm. "We deserve it anyways for how we treated the Wondercolts, and disappointing you."

"Hmph. Those blockheads still started it," Indigo grumbled.

"Hence why they're being punished too, Indigo," Sour Sweet remined, sourly.

A lot of them still held strong grievances towards the Wondercolts, and that their reasons for such resentments were still in just. But seeing Cadance's surprised relief shift into an assured smile from their apology slowly made them think other wise.

"Thank you, everyone. Now I know I made the right decision in choosing you five to represent our school; just when I thought I was about to give up hope. I'm very proud of you all."

"Well, that's just it," Sour Sweet said, sincerely. "We still have a lot to learn about friendship and competitions and all that other stuff."

Sunny Flare sighed. "She's right. We do."

Cadance went over and placed a hand on both Sour Sweet and Sunny Flare while still baring her appreciative smile.

"Well, girls, I'd say there's no better place to start than with the other team."

The Shadowbolts beamed at first until Cadance directed them over their shoulders. Percy, Edward, Gordon, James, Toby and Emily had arrived and saw Cadance, Diesel and the Shadowbolts all looking back at them to their surprise and confusion.

"If you'll excuse me, the Wondercolts look like they might have something similar to tell me."

But before Cadance left, she turned to Diesel.

"Oh, and Diesel, I believe it'll be best if you followed in their footsteps from now on," she sassed. "Seems there's a lot even you need to learn from my top students."

The Girls snickered to themselves while Diesel crossed his arms and pouted over their teasing. Principal Cadance then left and walked towards the Engines. The Shadowbolts shot Diesel one last angry glare or confident smirk before walking off themselves one at a time, leaving Diesel to storm off soon after to return back to Sodor.

"Now, I don't suppose you're all here to confess something important too?" Principal Cadance asked, meeting them all.

"That's right, Ma'am," Toby admitted.

He looked at Percy who was grieving with worry over what Toby might say. Was he about to pit all the blame on Thomas?

"See… Thomas had the idea to switch out their karts, but we're also to blame for going along with it. We should've come to you as soon as we found out."

"That's exactly what I said," Gordon said. "But I suppose even little Toby has a point too. We did think it would teach those girls not to cheat."

"Again, not us," James clarified. "Aaallll Thomas' idea."

"But you still went along with it," Cadance said, with hands sternly resting on her hips.

"I…" James paused for a brief second then slouched, "Yes."

"I guess we were so caught up in beating the Shadowbolts," Emily confessed, shyly, "that we forgot how our actions might effect them or the games, not to mention how it affected our sportsmanship for that matter."

"We really did try hard to compete properly," Toby said, "but things kept becoming more complicated and stressful. I only hope that you can forgive us, Principal Cadance."

Cadance looked to all the engines with a stern face, until it slowly creased into smile brighter than she made with the Shadowbolts.

"I do."

This made the Engines happy. Edward was also proud of his friends. It wasn't like Gordon or James to admit their faults. Their time spend with the Crystal Race must've done wonders for their self-respect.

"At least you were honest in admitting this to me now," Cadance continued. "From what I've seen today, I think it's only fair that Shining Armor and I go easy on everyone when it comes time for making up your mistakes."

"See, Percy," Emily assured. "Thomas won't get in that much trouble. Besides, we do kinda deserve it after going against our promise to make a friendly competition."

"So, the race isn't ruined at all?" Edward asked, considerately.

Cadance chuckled, "Not at all. Plenty of donors are still interested. Must have something to do with Thomas and that big movie he's starring in."

Some of the engines all chuckled sheepishly, with some rubbing the back of their heads and not saying a word on the matter. They only hopped she wouldn't look that much into his name being shared with the film's title, especially when it came to their own names.


Later that day, The Engines traveled to and arrived at Canterlot Mall. They hadn't seen Thomas since the go kart derby ended, and have been looking for him everywhere with no luck. He wasn't anywhere to be had at Crystal Prep or Canter Slope Lane. It wasn't until they heard rumors of Steam Wheeler making an appearance at Canterlot Mall that the Engines decided to check it out and see if he was there.

The Mall itself was a bit empty, with only a few customers here and there wandering about. Then, people began rushing past the Engines, not even giving them any notice as they eagerly zipped along with pens, pictures, cameras and phones in hands. A few kids with their parents and guardians were also eagerly traveling to one specific spot. When the Engines followed these people, they found them converging into a large gathering of loud chatter and flashing camera lights circling near Canterlot Mall's Movie Theater and Juniper's occupation, the Flixiplex Cinemas. The Engines tried looking over everyone to get a good look at what they had all arrived for.

Within the midst of this unexplained, huge crowd of grownups and children was none other than Thomas himself, sporting a pair of tinted black shades.

With him was Juniper Montage, happily handing out movie posters for Thomas' big, upcoming film, and nicely printed photographs of Cartoon Thomas from the actual TV series for people to purchase and have him sign. People took his picture with their camera's or phones, they had him sign different merchandise, photographs, and other such Thomas themed paraphernalia. Thomas was absolutely enjoying himself and the massive attention being given. He posed for cameras and interacted with just about everyone. People were loving it just as much.

The Engines were not overly thrilled to say the least, specially when more people showed up and rudely by passed them as if they weren't there.

"This is where Thomas has been?" Emily said, annoyed. "Taking pictures and signing stuff?!"

Gordon huffed. "Fancy Thomas getting us to volunteer for the race to begin with, only to run off and promote some silly movie of his, while we deal with smelly Diesel and those bothersome school girls."

"That's a lot of talk considering the loud mouth speaking it."

Gordon's eyes popped when he heard Sugarcoat's voice. Him and the others turned and saw the Shadowbolts standing with crossed arms and unamused glares. The Engines returned the same gesture.

Percy gasped when he immediately saw Lemon Zest. He tried hiding behind Gordon to avoid being spotted, only for Gordon to purposely step out of his way. Percy panicked and tried hiding behind James, who did the same. Then he hid behind Edward, who politely didn't object much despite his disapproval.

"So," Edward spoke in a reserved tone, "you must be the Shadowbolts. My friends told me an awful lot about you and your over competitiveness. Along with all the rude remarks about them."

Sour Sweet angry stomped up until Sunny Flare prevented her from taking another step by gently grabbing her arm. After staring back at one another, Sour Sweet forced herself to relax. Then, she exhaled a calming sigh before speaking.

"Yeah, we get it, we've been too over competitive."

"Not to mention rude," James pointed out.

Indigo Zap slouched, shamefully.

"And selfish," Emily said.

So did Lemon Zest.

"And arrogant," Toby said.

And Sunny Flare.

"And a pack of know it alls," Gordon said.

Sugarcoat simply rolled her eyes. Sunny Flare nudged her arm and gave her a stern look, until Sugarcoat too felt the shame wash over her again.

"Yeah, well," Indigo Zap claimed, "none of us would've been so mean if you guys weren't just as awful."

"You were the ones who made fun of Thomas first!" Percy defended, angrily. "All he wanted was to be your friends, but you were too high and mighty to accept his offer."

Indigo and the other Shadowbolts all shared remorseful glances, realizing he may have a point. The Engines were a bit surprised at first. They didn't fire back any insult or make up an excuse. They just took it in as is and come to terms. Toby emerged from the group to face Sunny Flare and her friends.

"So, what did you all come here to really say?"

"Are you going to admit that you're to blame for us getting in trouble?" James berated.

It took everything in the Shadowbolts to not lash out and argue back. But some of the engines were not making it easy for them. They weren't used to reserving their pride and boastful attitudes. This was more difficult than they thought it would be, especially when Sour Sweet struggled to get her words out.

"Look, my friends and I just wanted to say that we're… well… you know."

"That you're what?" Percy asked, sternly.

Sour Sweet tapped her finger tips together.

"W-we're Ssss. We're Sssssrrr."

The other puzzled Engines raised their brows to one another.

"Are you girls trying to say-" But Emily was cut off.

"We are," Sunny Flare finished. "All of us… for everything."

Toby looked back at his friends all sharing similar suspicious looks. Where did this suddenly come from? What prompted them to confess this to them; The Shadowbolts of all people who have been the rudest to the Engines. They had an idea, but weren't sure how committed or how true they were based on what they heard earlier until some of their sincerity began to show.

"Even for all the name calling?" James asked.

"… Yeah," Indigo Zap forced out.

"And your poor sportsmanship?" Emily asked with hands on her hip.

"Especially that," Sunny Flare said.

"What about you, Sugarcoat?" Gordon asked Sugarcoat.

"Whatever floats your Express train or whatever you call," She said, aloof.

Her friends all glared at Sugarcoat until she caved in.

"Alright. Even everything I said to a reasonable degree."

"And what about the kart race?" Toby asked, still a little doubtful. "We'd be willing to believe you girls if it weren't for what you did to us."

Sour Sweet was about to burst again until her friends helped keep her calm. When they did, they each tried explaining to the Engines what had really happened, and why they found them talking to Principal Cadance earlier when the Engines stumbled upon them back at Crystal Prep.

The Engines were still surprised by their confessions. Of course, it was only Diesel. But given how competitive both teams became, it was any wonder why the Shadowbolts wouldn't have taken part in his scheme to ensure their loss. But most of the Engines slowly realized themselves that the Shadowbolts must be telling the truth.

Now their earlier encounter with them and Principal Cadance at CPA made more sense. Because what mostly touched them was hearing Cadance's assurance that her students saw their own competitiveness was leading to disaster, but were willing to put a stop to it for the good of their charity. This especially sat well with Toby as he and Sunny Flare exchanged humble and proud smiles over their realizations.

"We're sorry too, Sunny Flare," He said. "I never should've assumed you'd lie to us and put my friends in danger."

"Circumstances didn't help back us up much to be fair," Sunny Flare smiled, shyly. "But thanks anyways, Toby."

"So, does this mean we won't have to fight anymore?" Emily said.

"We'll just have to wait and see, dearie," Sunny Flare said. "No better place to start than with the other team, right?"

"Well," Edward said, kindly, "I must say, this was not at all what I expected when my friends told me about you."

The Shadowbolts shared proud smiles to one another.

"Just eh, mostly half of what I thought," He joked.

A few were still at high spirits and even shot him witty smirks.

"In a way," Edward continued, "you should probably be thanking Diesel, too. If he hadn't almost ruined the race, then you girls wouldn't have realized what we were doing."

Sour Sweet then looked over her shoulder, seeing the large gathering near Flixiplex Cinemas for Thomas still posing for camera's. She then marched over to the meet up while the Wondercolts and Shadowbolts remained behind, wondering what she was up to.


"Didn't I say I'd make you a star, Thomas?" Juniper Montage grinned.

"Did you ever!" Thomas smiled. "Look how many people came to see me!"

"They adore you, Thomas, Of course they'd wanna see the main star voicing their childhood icon."

But despite all the noise surrounding Thomas, one particular call of his name prominently reached and got him to look over his shoulder. What is was made him frown upon seeing who it belonged to. It was Sour Sweet waving her hands out to get his attention.

Thomas groaned. "Oh no. Not Sour Sweet."

Juniper Montage noticed her too and gently help direct Thomas' attention away from her and continue meeting his fans. Thomas pretended not hear Sour Sweet's calls despite some of her cries still traveling through the ambiance of people drowning her out. She couldn't reach out or get to him with crowds of people blocking off and circling all over Thomas.

"Thomas!" She called, aggressively.

He was in the middle of taking a picture with a fan when Thomas lifted his shades and looked over to her.

"Not now, Sour Sweet," He called back. "I'm busy."

More people kept on taking more pictures, which prompted a boastful Thomas to slid his shades back on and pose for the many flashing cameras. Sour Sweet groaned in frustration. She then proceeded to shove people out of her way as she shuffled towards and stood in front of Thomas.

"Tell your fans and their parents that they need to go."

"Sorry, Sour," Juniper smirked, reading off their schedule. "But Thomas is in the middle of an important meet and greet session that's going on from six till eight."

Juniper simply relished in Sour Sweet's annoyance as comeuppance for the Shadowbolts and their ridicule over her and Thomas' friends for being fans of a baby show.

"If you'd like an autograph or picture, you'll have to wait in line with the other 'little toddlers'."

Sour Sweet growled with frustration until she spotted a conductor's whistle hung around a child's neck and thought of an idea. She snatched the child's whistle from his neck and blew into it. The whistle was loud enough to get everyone's attention, especially Thomas, who were all shocked by the sudden loudness of both the whistle, and Sour Sweet's barking orders.

"Everyone, get lost. Now!"

A few people complied and left the area, with parents taking their crying children away while glaring back at the moderate rose haired girl with aquamarine streaks not caring much about the disruption she caused. Both the Engines and Shadowbolts watched folks clear out. The Engines were admittedly impressed. Sour Sweet then tossed the kid's whistle back to him as he and his mother took off next.

"What'd you do that for?!" Said a peeved Thomas.

"Tell him what you really heard!" She said to Juniper. "Tell him that Diesel set us all up."

Thomas looked to Juniper, who became sheepish for being called out.

"But all I heard was his pitch. I ran off when things got too quiet. Sorry."

Sour Sweet stared daggers at Juniper. But despite her resentment, she could tell Juniper was telling the truth too. She wasn't just being spiteful; Juniper really did only hear Diesel's pitch and assumed the rest fell in line based on past encounters. An awkward silence soon fell when Thomas and Sour Sweet started staring down each other. Juniper Montage sensed a lot of tension, prompting her to giggle nervously and scratch the back of her head.

"Okay! I'll just… leave you guys to it,"

Juniper awkwardly stepped away then ran off to meet with her friends. Sour Sweet crossed her arms and angrily shied away.

"You couldn't have picked another time to bug me, Sour Sweet?" Thomas said. "What's so important that you had to get rid of all my fans?"

Sour Sweet scoffed. "You think these people actually care about you?"

"At least those that actually appreciate me and what I do."

"Oh, really?" She challenged. "And what would that be, exactly? What do you think you've ever done to earn their love?"

"By doing what I've always been best at."

"Which was what again?"

"Plenty of stuff! I run my own branchline... I go on amazing adventures. And... uh..."

Thomas paused when his mind went totally blank. For whatever reason he couldn't explain, Thomas couldn't actually think of a reason why people in this world really liked him. He only though that his real-life adventures on Sodor represented through their televised cartoon where the reasons for all his fame and glory, that they were fun and enjoyable to just sit through and watch. He couldn't think of any actual reason why this could be, though, so Thomas stuck by the latter as the basis for this world's enduring admiration, even though it didn't convince Sour Sweet of his fame.

If only people like her didn't keep throwing out judgments to agree with his point of view.

"Didn't think so. Because the second that movie drops, people will forget all about you and Thomas within a week or two, and move on to something else they can glorify."

"T-That's not true!" Thomas faltered with doubt. "Haven't you seen the advertisements? People love my adventures from Sodor."

"And why wouldn't they?" She said, sweetly, before descending into bitterness. "Obviously you're soo peachy perfect to the point of complete and total annoyance!"

Thomas was offended. He kept glaring daggers at her with crossed arms. He wasn't amused at all by her insults. Sour Sweet quickly realized her aggressive tone and tried to calm down again.

"But, that's not why I'm bugging you. The Crystal Race has become a mess ever since our teams started fighting. So, from now until the last event, I promise that my team and I won't be as overly competitive as we have been."

Thomas inspected her with a suspicious eye.

"You mean it?"

Sour Sweet nodded.

She then explained her team's conversation with Cadance earlier regarding her worries for the event. Thomas was still a bit suspicious, despite being surprised with Sour's upfrontness, but he too didn't want to fight with her or her team anymore despite his conflicting qualms with the Shadowbolts.

"Well… okay then," He said, with a pint of doubt. "If you say so, Sour Sweet."

Sour Sweet seemed to be telling the truth, which was enough for Thomas to at least put their bitter rivalry aside for the greater good, until,

"FYI," She mentioned, "Cadance said the Wondercolts also have to face punishment when the race ends."

"What?! But it was you guys who sabotaged us!" Thomas said, aggravated. "I was only trying to teach you a lesson. Why am I getting in trouble for something you did?"

"Because we could've gotten hurt, you blowhard!"

Thomas was shocked. And now that he really did think it through, Sour Sweet had a point. They really could've gotten hurt, and it would've been all his fault. Thomas never meant to cause injury, he just wanted to get back at them for trying to keep his friends behind on the Crystal Race Leaderboard.

"Why would I ever help some loser like Diesel with anything?" She argued. "That wouldn't be fair for you or your team."

"What about all the things you said about my friends," Thomas argued, "about not being capable of playing against you? Is it really so hard to accept that my team is better than you give us credit for?"

"Oh, but Thomas! Everyone knows you're the absolute best!" She said sweetly, then turned sour, "at being a real pain in my neck."

An unamused Thomas crossed his arms. He had had enough of Sour Sweet at this point. Even so, he was true to his word and didn't want to continue their fight. So, he kept silent whilst she finished her venting.

"And just another FYI, Principal Cadance is punishing all of us. So, don't come crying or pointing fingers at me or my friends when you face comeuppance for everything rightfully coming your way!"

Sour Sweet then stormed off, leaving Thomas alone to wallow in his own anger over her comments. He then started thinking about what she said and how this affected him and his friends.

Not a second or two passed when Sour Sweet returned again, still just as angered.

"And another thing," she issued, "STOP it with this whole Thomas act… thing. It's getting on my last nerves!"

"What are you complaining about now?" He asked, annoyed.

"Talking like him, dressing in his color and number, thinking you're actually from the Country of Sodor! You may be playing him in a movie, but that's no excuse to constantly act like Thomas 24/7."

"But I'm not acting, Sour Sweet. You just don't wanna believe me because then you'd have to be wrong."

Sour Sweet scoffed with crossed arms. "Oh, pl-ease! You'd wish you were the real Thomas. It's the only reason you're getting any recognition all of sudden."

"Yeah, well, y-you're just being jealous."

Sour Sweet was dumbfounded.

"Ugh! I'M Jealous?!"

"That's right! People actually like me because I'm not harsh on a cartoon for being too different from the books, or trying to change and evolve. They'd probably also like you more if you weren't so obsessed with competition to the point of cheating."

This began tipping Sour Sweet to a boiling point. Her knuckles cracked under enclosed fists hanging to her side. He had the nerve to say that Sour Sweet was only jealous of the attention he was getting, and for judging him and his show for no real reasons other than their contrasting differences from the original stories? What tipped her off most was Thomas's refusal to hear her out regarding their team's involvement with Diesel's scheme, or lack there of. Sour Sweet also had reached her limit with him.

"Just wait until you watch my movie, Sour Sweet. Maybe then you'll finally realize how wrong you are about me and my show."

But Thomas was quickly cut off when Sour Sweet got up in his face and poking his chest. She began shooting her mouth off so much to the point of frightening Thomas a bit the closer she leaned.

"I would rather lose to you in race than sit through another egregious, mindless, torturous half hour of anything involving you or that baby show, you… You… UGH!"

Sour Sweet was so flustered with rage she couldn't get her words out anymore. So, she turned her back to Thomas and stormed off again with a red face. But came back again, only to take Thomas' shades, snapped them in half, and shoved the remaining pieces back for Thomas to hold before leaving him.

She stormed passed her friends and the other Engines. The Shadowbolts followed after Sour Sweet without really acknowledging the engines. All except Lemon Zest, who stopped and turned back to see Percy still shying away with his arms crossed, refusing to make any contact. Lemon Zest felt equally heartbroken, but carried on anyways and caught up with her friends again.

The Engines watched them take off before averting their attention back to Thomas, not really knowing how to process her outburst. Suddenly, a few people passing by recognized Thomas and began approaching him again. This made Thomas feel a bit better when even more happy faces came up and started taking his picture.

Soon enough, Thomas was back to being adored again, with even more people showing up than there were moments ago. Juniper sheepishly made her way over to join Thomas while looking back at the other engines and their disapproval demeanor, feeling guilty for their exclusion.

A few engines crossed their arms and shot judgmental glares at their showboating friend soaking up all the unbinding attention from children, parents, and older fans alike who want the attention seeking superstar to notice them next. Just when they thought they weren't feeling left out of all the fame in favor of Thomas the Tank Engine, it was clear as day, people in this world had more attentive interest for the little blue tank engine than any other engine standing off in the darkness next to Thomas and his shining spotlight.


To Be Continued.