• Published 13th Jan 2019
  • 3,189 Views, 103 Comments

Thomas & Equestria Girls 2: Adventures From Sodor - LPFanFic



The Equestria Girls travel to the Island of Sodor to stop an old enemy and their devastating scheme. All while Thomas and his friends try to find purpose in an ever changing world.

  • ...
 103
 3,189

Chapter 4: Coming To An End

Thomas & Equestria Girls 2:
Adventures From Sodor!

Chapter 4: Coming To An End

Steam engines from all across the Island of Sodor were being withdrawn from service. They received official orders from the Railway Company to vacate the Island through the Vicarstown Bridge or make their way to Brendam Docks where they'll be shipped off to where they were built. As this progressed, the diesels who arrived through the Vicarstown Bridge had dispersed and populated the Railway into different regions, kicking out steam engines from Ffarquhar Quarry, The Little Western Branchline, The Blue Mountain Quarry, The Waste Dump, and the China Clay Pits.

Once Derek was dropped off at the Dieselworks, BoCo made his way to the Clay Pits. He was excited to see Bill & Ben again, but saw nothing but diesels already organizing trucks upon arriving. He looked everywhere but Bill & Ben were nowhere to be found. After a while, BoCo got started on shunting the trucks himself, feeling rather disappointed and wondered where his friends could be.

After a quick touch up, Derek arrived at Ffarquhar Quarry, trundling happily towards the center. Mavis, the quarry diesel, spotted Derek approaching her shed. In a fit of panic, she backs into her shed's doors to close and block them off from access. Derek was confused by this, especially by Mavis' nervous grin.

At Vicarstown Station, two blue and yellow high-speed Class 43s, one driving up front and the other from behind, rolled up to the station platform. The passengers were fascinated by the new push and pull diesel train and eagerly boarded their coaches. Mike, Rex, and Bert emerged from their sheds on the Arlesdale Railway and where met with three diesels blocking their way. A grey Perkins and two black Cyril type diesels grinned and closed in on the three surprised little engines. A large locomotive ferry arrived at Brendam Docks and parked along the coast of a crossrail link. A group consisting of Class 14, 20, and 31 diesels forced the collected steam engines towards the ferry. Ryan, Stanley, Charlie, Timothy, Porter, and Rosie, being bumped by a laughing Class 14, where all marshaled in one by one.

Salty, the dockyard diesel, tried to see pass the other diesels but they all blocked the way.

"Salty?!" Porter cried. "What's going on?"

"It'll be alright, shipmate," Salty said. "Tis just a temporary setback. I'm sure we'll be seein' each other again in no time."

"Really?"

But Salty wasn't so sure. It was too late to explain any more as the boarding bridge lifted back up and cuts each other off. The ferry's horn blew as it sailed off with all the confused and frightened steam engines aboard.

"Yeah, get lost yah stinkin' steamies!" Called a diesel.

The rest laughed and went on with their work. All Salty did was park inches from the curve where the ferry embarked, and watched the ship sail away, hoping his friends will be alright.

Class 40 backed up into his Express coaches and waited for the passengers at Knapford Station to climb aboard. Meanwhile, Sir Topham Hatt was pacing nervously back and forth in his office. When the conductor blew his whistle, Class 40 honked his horn and took off with the Express. Alerted by the unfamiliar horn, Sir Topham Hatt stepped outside to see Class 40 and the Express speeding out of the station, along with several other diesels entering and leaving while pulling their own goods train and passenger coaches through Knapford Junction. A number of red and yellow Class 08s were bumping Troublesome Trucks in order and bumping one back to one another like a game of keep away.

Sir Topham Hatt muttered and stuttered. "Wh-What are all these diesels doing here?!"

Suddenly, a DRB-series Class 50 steam locomotive backed into the station. It was Adagio Dazzle, who came to a stop beside platform one, where Sir Topham Hatt stood. Once she did, a man stepped out of her cab.

The late 40's to early 50's man had brown hair with a v shamed, receding hairline, a long, darker brown, stubble beard, and hazel eyes. He wore a dark grey jacket, trousers, a white collared shirt, and smartly brushed, black dress shoes. This man was an important figure, as Sir Topham Hatt gasped upon seeing him emerge from the unfamiliar locomotive and walked along the platform with both arms behind his back.

"Gerard Gisborne!" Sir Topham Hatt greeted. "Oh, what a pleasure to finally meet you, Sir! I was wondering when you'd arrive."

"I do apologies for the delay." Gisborne looked back at Adagio, "Just needed to clear some things before our arrival."

Adagio raised a shady brow. Gisborne then proceeded to walk pass Sir Topham Hatt who was twiddling his fingers.

"And that'll be Mr. Gisborne to you, Topham."

"Uh, right, Sir!" He quickly corrected with a nervous chuckle. "Sorry, Sir. Won't happen again, Sir."

Sir Topham Hatt followed Gerard Gisborne to his office while Sir's two assistance's stood outside the entrance. Adagio simply waited and remained parked along the platform.


The two entered the office with Sir Topham Hatt making his way over to the back while Gerard Gisborne surveyed the room.

"Shall I fetch you some tea, Mr. Gisborne?" Sir Topham Hatt offered.

"That would be acceptable."

While Sir Topham Hatt made their tea, Mr. Gisborne stood in front of the window, looking out to Knapford Station and its junction. He observed all the hard-working diesels then saw Adagio giving him a sharp glare, as if instructing him on something. He wasn't worried though. Everything was falling into place.

Gerard Gisborne was a representative of the Railway Company, making him an important figure in locomotive industry. This means he's a higher rank than even Sir Topham Hatt, which is why Sir was desperate not to do or say anything that would disrespect Gisborne, and keen to make a good impression in any way.

When their tea was ready, Sir Topham Hatt joined Gisborne by the window and held out a tea cup.

"Here you go, Sir."

"Thank you, Topham," He said, taking his cup.

"My pleasure!" Sir Topham Hatt replied, raising his cup. "After all, you represent the Railway Company. A very important position if I do say so myself; one that makes very important decisions on their behalf."

"In deed it is." Gisborne spoke after a sip of his tea, "Things on your Railway seem to be running as scheduled."

Sir Topham Hatt puts down the tray. "Oh, yes. Well, about that. I've been meaning to ask-"

"You did good, Topham."

"Yes I… I did?"

"You don't agree?"

"No-no, I do, Sir. It's just… well, those diesels out there aren't mine. What happened to all my other engines? And what's this I'm hearing about steam being abolished over on the Other Railway?"

"I presume you mean your steam locomotives? The Company had them all withdrawn," Gisborne said candidly, before taking another sip.

Sir Topham Hatt turns and spews out his tea.

"They did what?!"

Gerard Gisborne shot him a stern look. Sir Topham Hatt cleaned his mouth with a napkin and quickly corrected his tone.

"Em, but-but why?"

After taking another sip, Gisborne turned his back away from the window, and walked over to the desk to put down his tea cup.

"The only ones that haven't been recalled yet are the engines residing at Tidmouth and a tram engine at Arlesdale End. After which, the Railway will be rid of any steam powered locomotives before this week's end."

"What's all this about?" Sir Topham Hatt asked, genuinely concerned. "Why are my steam engines being taken out of service?"

Gisborne faced him, "Well, many reasons, Topham. The most important one being time."

"Eh, time, Sir?"

"Yes. A time we are far too behind of. We've wasted our resources and funding to keep steam traction alive for too long. The other railway companies laugh at us and road traffic is sky rocketing."

Gisborne leisurely sauntered closer to him.

"They're all a head of us, and yet here we are, still lugging around those bothersome contraptions we use to call really useful." He sighed. "So young we were. And so foolish to think they'd ever last."

Sir Topham Hatt didn't know what to say. He wanted to object and defend his engines but knew it would mean talking back to someone of a higher rank than him. Sir Topham Hatt could only drop subtle glares behind his back. Gisborne looked over his shoulder to see Sir Topham Hatt's reaction so far, then turned to fully face him.

"You see, the only way to adhere with an ever-changing society is to adapt. The next logical step for us in order to move with the times is to instill the North Western with the latest in modern locomotive transportation."

"That being diesel engines."

"Correct. Many railways are practicing this trial and their delivery market has gone up since then. Diesels can do many things steam can't. And they're less expensive to boot."

"Well, I-I suppose that sounds about right," Sir Topham Hatt fiddled his fingers. "But my engines and l have been through so much together. I could never just let them go."

"And that's why we're behind with the times, Topham," Gisborne glowered. "Because of your silly devotion to these smoke spewing, time consuming, metal objects."

Sir Topham Hatt was offended. "Wh-They're not just objects! My engines are the pride of the line! They're-"

Gisborne shot him another sterner glare. Sir Topham Hatt became nervous again, realizing he was stepping out of line. Arms behind his back, Gisborne walked in a sophisticated manner pass Sir Topham Hatt, who still wasn't on board with his proposition.

"So, it's true, then?" Sir said, begrudgingly. "Steam really is being abolished."

"I don't know why you're taking this personally. Though I suppose if it helps, your steam engines won't be scrapped until BR gives the official orders."

"That's why you wanted to see me today; to have me run a railway of nothing but diesels, and force my hard-working steam engines to be, what, scrapped?! I'm sorry, Mr. Gisborne, but I simply cannot accept that."

Stopping and standing for a brief moment, Gisborne then turned and stood to face Sir Topham Hatt, who was anticipating the worst. Gisborne then took Sir Topham Hatt's black hat and brushes off the top.

"When I said you did good earlier, what I meant was you did good. If things on this Railway were running better then you'd be doing good. But the fact is you're not, Topham… Not anymore."

Sir Topham Hatt didn't object, and remained silent while Gerard Gisborne continued examining his top hat with a dry demeanor.

"Clearly the North Western is just as behind with the times as the man running it." Gisborne goes over to a hat rack, "So, its only fair to remove those that won't benefit our goal and replace them with ones that will."

He gently placed Sir Topham Hatt's black top hat on the rack stand. Sir Topham Hatt was speechless.

"But, Mr. Gisborne, Sir! Y-you don't have to do that. Steam Engines can still be really useful. They always have been."

Gisborne directed him to stand in front of the desk. Sir Topham Hatt complied while Gerard Gisborne takes a seat in the chair, kicking his legs up on the desk and resting his arms behind his head.

"Honestly. There must be something we can do to work this out? I'm still a good railway controller! Ask anyone!"

"Really? Shall I open the record files for how many steam driven accidents occurred on your Railway, under your control? The delays, the mishaps, the millions of dollars worth of damage caused by these ongoing incidences?"

Sir Topham Hatt tried objecting by mentioning the amount of accidents diesels had too, but Gisborne kept shooting his mouth off.

"Or shall I bring up your absence during that earthquake fiasco?"

Sir Topham Hatt knew what he meant by an earthquake, but also knew he'd only sound more ridiculous if he tried justifying what it really was that struck the Island. A magic railroad tearing everything apart and turning everything into Husks wouldn't help his case at all.

"But I was away on important business. And we managed to get through perfectly fine. Not one person has ever gotten badly hurt using my Railway."

Gisborne sprung from the seat and slammed his palms on the desk, spilling his tea cup and startling Sir Topham Hatt.

"If it were up to me, I would've sent you packing long before another 'hard working' engine of yours flew off the rails or waste all our resources crashing into buildings!"

Sir Topham Hatt didn't know what to say. He did not like the look of things. Just then, Sir Topahm Hatt's two assistance entered his office. Gerard Gisborne soon calmed down and smirked.

"And now that it is up to me, I can safely say the North Western won't have any need for it's 'Fat Controller' anymore."

"What are you doing? Stop that!"

The two assistance grabbed Sir Topham Hatt by the arms and held him in a locked grip.

"And until another controller is found, I shall see to things until Sodor houses the most reliable goods traffic and transportation system there is!"

"This is outrageous!" Sir Topham Hatt said. "At least let me see my engines!"

"The days of steam are coming to an end, Bertram. We've all accepted it. Now it's time you do the same."

Despite a tint of delight in his tone, Gerard Gisborne stood straight and spoke sternly as a petrified Sir Topham Hatt stopped struggling for a moment to hear Gisborne's foreboding words.

"Times have changed. The world is moving forward and it's leaving us behind to play catch up. That stops now. We will be a head of the curve. We will adapt and discard whatever we please. We are the future."

Sir Topham Hatt shook his head in disbelief before going back to prying from their grasps with no luck.

"And what doesn't belong in our future must be snubbed and tossed back where it belongs!"

"No. No! Unhand me this instant! That's an order!"

Gisborne smiled with both arms behind his back as he watched them carry Sir Topham Hatt out of his former office.

"Stop! UH, NO! NAAHHH!"

He stood by the window to see them passing by with Sir Topham Hatt still fighting to shake them off. Sir Topham Hatt was taken to his blue car parked near the station on the gravel sidelines of Knapford Junction. Watching all this unfold, Adagio looks over to the window where Gerard was enjoying the view.

Gerard Gisborne then looked to Adagio Dazzle and smirked with eyes glowing a mystical, eerie green. Her eyes glistened green as well. She smirked in return until a whistle caught her off guard, followed by a puffing sound.

"Hi there!" Thomas said. "Are you a new engine? I love meeting new engines!"

Thomas pulled up on platform two with his coaches Annie & Clarabel. Adagio scorned a disdainful glance as Thomas parked next to her.

"Wow! I don't think I've ever seen anyone like you before. Do you live really far away?"

"You could say that," She said, blandly.

Sir Topham Hatt was being force into the back seat of his car when he spotted Thomas. He reached out and shouted for his attention.

"Egh, THOMAS! THO-"

The man shoved Sir Topham Hatt in his car and slammed the door shut. Thomas overheard this however and glanced over to where the noise was. He thought to himself before puffing forward a few inches.

"Was that Sir Topham Hatt calling me?"

Panicking a little, Adagio jerked forward and blocked Thomas' view before he could spot the ruckus.

"Hey!"

Thomas was a bit annoyed at first until seeing Sir Topham Hatt's blue car driving away from the station. Why would he call for him only to drive off? This confused Thomas for sure. He backed into the platform again along with Adagio, hoping Thomas didn't suspect a thing.

"I thought I heard Sir Topham Hatt call me. Hmm."

He wondered if he must've misheard somehow. Adagio simply stared with a dry demeanor all the while. Thomas perked up again and introduced himself, much to her eye rolling irritation.

"Well, anyways, my name is Thomas! What's your name?"

Adagio did not enjoy his company one bit.

"Not that this isn't fun or anything, but I really need to get some important business done. So, if you don't mind."

Thomas watched Adagio slowly take off and exit Knapford Station.

"Oh, okay. See you later, uh. Wait! I didn't get your name."

But as Adagio leaves the platform, Thomas saw that her tender had a Gold Gem overlapping a G-Clef musical note printed on the sides. This design was rather out of place for Thomas. Most engines carried numbers or letters on their tenders or boilers. He had never seen an emblem like that before on an engine. On top of that, watching her leaving Knapford junction, Thomas couldn't help but feel something strange was going on. He didn't know quite what it was, but Thomas could feel it.


The day was now coming to an end. The engines finished work and headed on home to their sheds. The sun sparkled the sky with its orange, comforting radiance setting in the horizon. Most of the engines at Knapford returned to their respective berths. Thomas arrived next as he edged onto the turntable, noticing the other engines with inquisitive complexions.

"Has anyone noticed there are more diesels on Sodor than there were steam engines lately?" James asked.

"I noticed that too," Edward said. "I was at the docks this morning, and not only did I see nothing but diesels, but Porter was nowhere to be found either."

"I haven't seen anyone on the little western or Arlesburgh," Emily said. "I wonder what could've happened."

Thomas parked in his berth and saw that not only were his friends all muddled, but Gordon was frowning with dejection. It took awhile before the others finally called attention to his somberness as well once Thomas points it out.

"What's gotten you down this time, Gordon?" Thomas asked.

"He's probably moping because Sir Topham Hatt made Gordon pull silly old trucks," James teased.

"I don't want to talk about it," Gordon grumbled.

"I know what it is," Henry joked, "It's boiler sludge! Have a good wash out and you'll feel much better."

"For the last time, It's not boiler sludge!"

"Then what is it?" Edward asked.

Gordon stared back at everyone looking concerned. He knew this couldn't be kept to himself for long, and the talk of sudden diesel sightings only made him more upset on the matter. At last, Gordon sighed sadly and explained.

"My brothers are gone. Sir Topham Hatt said they're downsizing steam engines on the Other Railway. They've taken my brothers and sent them back to where they came to be… scrapped."

"Scrapped!" Everyone gasped.

"That's terrible!" James said.

"How could they do that?" Emily said.

"They took away all your brothers?" Thomas said, surprised.

"Even Flying Scotsman?" Edward asked.

Gordon brooded. "No. Being the world famous show off he is, Scotsman was allowed to remain in service until it's decided what to do with him."

"Oh. I'm so sorry, Gordon. That's just not fair," Thomas sympathized, and tried thinking of ways to cheer him up. "But, at least you still have us, right?"

"Thomas is right!" Emily agreed. "We're here for you if you need anything, Gordon. No matter what."

This didn't cheer Gordon up as much as they were hoping. Gordon continued staring at the tracks beneath him in solemn thought.

"Are you gonna be okay, Gordon?" Henry asked, concerned.

"All my brothers are gone, Henry," He complained. "Do I sound like I'm going to be okay?!"

Henry regretted asking and whimpered a little.

"Hey! We're just trying to help, you know," James fired back. "There's no need to snap at us like that, Gordon."

Gordon sighed. "I didn't even get to say goodbye."

Admitting his depression did very little to put him at tease. More upset than ever, Gordon backed sadly into his shed until his tender met the end. Everyone was worried for him. They decided it was best to give Gordon his space for the time being and not bring it up again.


Then, a cheerful whistle brought their attention over to Percy chuffing onto the turntable.

"Hello, Everyone!" Percy whistled, happily. "I have some very exciting news!"

"Hi, Percy!" Thomas smiled. "What's the exciting news?"

"Guess who I ran into on my way to Farmer McColl's Farm?"

"Ugh, not another guessing games again, Percy," James said.

"Oh-oh, let me guess! Was it-" Henry then gasped at the engine parked near the turntable.

"Thomas should know who it is," Percy said, playfully.

The Engines all knew what Percy meant now, as their eyes widened and grins beamed upon seeing who it was. They contained their excitements and looked over to Thomas, who couldn't see past Percy over on the turntable. Thomas looked at everyone holding back their snickering, almost to the point of frustration for being kept in the dark.

"What? Who is it?!"

Percy giggled as he backed into his berth. As he did, Thomas saw a beaming "N3" Vapor Beyer Peacock type 2-6-0 locomotive parked behind the track Percy came from. Upon squinting at this engine, Thomas gasped excitedly with eyes agape, now recognizing the engine as none other than Sunset Shimmer.

"Thomas!" She called.

"Sunset Shimmer!" Thomas grinned.

She puffed eagerly toward him through the Turntable. Thomas did the same, laughing and puffing out from his berth and towards Sunset equally overjoyed to see him. Meeting in the turntable's middle, the two engines accidentally collided buffers which jerked each other back. They laughed this off after a quick recovery.

It felt like such a long time for Thomas since he last saw his best friend from Canterlot High. He almost couldn't believe it was her at first before they bumped into each other. But here she was, the same recognizable smile and same recognizable engine form she had during their journey through the Magic Railroad.

Her funnel and smokebox were painted the same pattern as her hair with reds and brilliant yellows. The boiler base, cab, and tender were painted a light amber color. Her driving and tender wheels were painted a deep red. Coupling rods, axle boxes, cylinders, valves, pistons, and cab roof were all black. Her small cowcatcher pilot was now painted purple with gold creasing, along with the railings surrounding the top of her tender. Lastly, her Geode Crystal, taking form of a Red and Gold Lantern placed above her face and in front of the funnel.

The two friends smile back to one another until Sunset broke the mold.

"Glad to see you missed me too," She grinned.

"Ahh, I did, Sunset!" Thomas eagerly backed into his berth again. "So much has happened since we last saw each other. I don't even know where to begin!"

The Engines beamed and chuckled while Thomas babbled on about their adventures and what each of them did. Everyone was excited to see her too. Even Gordon emerged from his berth to see what the excitement was all about, and was surprised by who he saw too. Thomas was too excited. It was hard to settle him down and let someone else talk.

Sunset chuckled. "We've had some pretty crazy stuff happen at CHS as well."

"I imagine so," Edward said. "You girls must be extremely busy dealing with magic all the time."

"Mostly just inconveniences, but yeah. Things have been pretty quiet lately, though, which I guess you can call that a good thing."

"I can't wait to hear all about it!" Thomas said. "I'm so happy you came to visit, Sunset."

"So am I. You have no idea how relieved I am to see you all."

Thomas chuckled, until he caught on what she said.

"W-what do you mean by that?"

All the other engines wanted to know what she meant too. As excited was Sunset was to reunite with everyone, she was still on Sodor for an important reason. Sunset almost didn't know how to explain at first, especially considering how it involves their lively hoods at stake. It was a lot of information she needed to pass along. Only, how quickly were they going to understand or come to terms with the matter?

"The truth is, I'm not just here for a visit. Something came up."

"Oh no!" Henry said. "What is it, Sunset? Is it the Magic Railroad?"

"Is Lady in trouble?!" Thomas chimed.

"Has Diesel 10 escaped?!" Percy chimed as well.

"Is that genie guy up to his old tricks?" Emily asked, not sure if she got the name right.

"Calm down, everyone," Edward instructed. "Now, Sunset, what's the emergency?"

"You guys all know Diesel, right?" Sunset asked.

Gordon moaned. "What has that bothersome diesel done this time?"

Sunset Shimmer explained his and Paxton's visit to her school, and what he told them about the end of steam and rise of diesels. The Engines were all deeply stunned, especially Gordon. Not only does Diesel know about the Magic Railroad and the world it's connected to, but him and Paxton have visited Canterlot High without their knowing. Was he really right about them being replaced by diesels? How could Diesel say such things? Now that everyone's putting two and two together; The absence of other steam engines, the sudden arrival of many diesels, and Gordon's brothers being withdrawn and possibly sent for scrap, the case all seemed too likely.

Knowing this, Gordon moaned miserably at the thought of his brothers again.

"What's with him?" Sunset noticed.

"It's his brothers," Emily told. "They're being taken out of service and sent away to-"

"You don't have to tell her everything, Emily," Gordon seethed.

Percy gasped. "So then, everything Diesel said must be true! They really are getting rid of steam engines. Which means, they're gonna get rid of us next!"

"But they already have!" James said. "Half the Island is without any steam engines running it!"

"We'll all be turned into scrap if we leave!" Henry exclaimed, fearfully.

Everyone either screamed, gasped, or were shaken up by this realization. Sunset and all the Engines were horrified.

"But they can't do that!" Thomas exclaimed. "We've worked on Sir Topham Hatt's Railway for years. He wouldn't let them take us out of service."

"That's not up to him, Thomas," Edward said. "It's the Company's orders."

"Why did Diesel and Paxton go all the way to Canterlot High just to tell you that, Sunset?" James asked.

"Don't worry, everyone," Sunset assured. "Thanks to them, we know who's really behind this."

"We do?" The Engines all said in unison.

"Well, I do," She corrected.

Suddenly, before Sunset could explain, a prominent, faint beeping noise caught everyone off guard. It came from Edwards berth. The Engines were all alerted too. Inside his cab glowed and radiated a blinking pink light followed by a consistent beeping sound. The round, locket shaped device hung on a hook and flashed a pink light on one of the ridges pointing towards the Turntable.

"What is that noise?" Gordon groaned.

"It's Twilight's old Magic Tracker," Edward said. "It must've picked up something."

Then, James spotted another engine approaching their shed.

"Who is that?" He asked.

Everyone stopped paying mind to the magic tracker and glanced over to the strange engine puffing towards their shed.


Adagio Dazzle parked inches from the Turntable, which then rotated slowly with Sunset on it. She had to get off to allow this engine on and had to wait until Sunset was facing the opposite direction of Thomas and the others. As the table kept turning, Adagio was surprised to see a red and yellow shimmering sun design on Sunset's tender. She recognized that symbol anywhere; for it belonged to the very high schooler who defeated her way back when.

The turntable finally points Sunset to a separate set of tracks on the opposite side of Tidmouth Sheds. But upon reaching these tracks, Sunset spotted the fuming orange, yellow, and purple tender engine scowling at her with gritted teeth from another line next to hers. Sunset instantly recognized this engine, and was all the more afraid when Adagio recognized her too.

"You!"

Sunset Shimmer quickly puffed off the turntable with Adagio's glaring eyes following her every movement, even as she edges onto the turntable next after it stops at her line.

"Hey, I know that engine!" Thomas said. "I met her at Knapford Station this afternoon."

"She looks very important," Emily said.

"Huh!" Gordon boasted. "She doesn't look so important. I know important engines, and this engine's a far cry from such."

"And her paint work's all over the place, too," James commented. "Just look at her. Talk about bland."

Adagio angrily rolled onto the turntable then came to a sudden stop. She looked back at her cab in surprise.

"That'll be all, DRB 50," Gerard Gisborne said, applying her brakes from the cab.

Adagio shot a scornful grimace at the Engines, who still had no idea what she's even doing at their sheds. After her 'tour' of the Island, Adagio went to pick up Mr. Gisborne and brought him to see the engines at Tidmouth. Gisborne had some news to share; news Thomas and the others were already well caught up on. Gerard Gisborne stepped out and made his way over in front of Adagio Dazzle.

He greeted everyone with disinterest. "Evening, engines, eh,"

But the beeping noise from Edward's cab kept distracting and drawing his attention to his berth. A local porter went into Edward's cab and fiddled with the strange device. He squinted and shook it a few times. After randomly tapping the controls, the beeping magic tracker stops. The porter hangs it back on the hook and climbs out.

Edward could only grin sheepishly in response. After shooting a suspicious glare, Gisborne continued.

"Now, I trust you've all had a productive last day?"

"And just who are you supposed to be?" Thomas questioned, rudely.

"Thomas!" Edward warned. "This man is from the Railway Company."

"The Railway Company?!" He exclaimed.

"Class K2 is correct," Gisborne said. "Gerard Gisborne, temporary Director and Railway Company representative. Now, I suppose everyone's received the news by this point if I'm not mistaken?"

"Oh, we know alright," James objected. "You think you can just get rid of us! Get rid of me, the most splendid engine on Sodor?! You've got another thing coming, Mr. Gisborne!"

"Wait until Sir Topham Hatt hears about this!" Percy said.

"I'm afraid your Fat Controller is no longer in charge of this Railway."

"What?!" The Engines all repeated.

Everyone but Adagio and Gisborne were all shocked. What did they do to Sir Topham Hatt? Sunset remained parked on the track she exited the turntable from and listened in as best she could.

"It was with great sorrow that I had him resign as he did not agree with the company's goal for the North Western."

"So, what is the Company's goal exactly?" Emily grimaced. "What do you have against Steam Engines anyway?"

"Why, they're simply dated, of course. It's nothing personal. But in order to build a faster, functioning future, we need engines that'll get the job done. And diesels are just the engines to take us there."

"We can be just as fast and functioning than any smelly diesel you bring to the yard," Gordon said.

Gerard slipped an unsettling chuckle. "And yet the future we have in mind doesn't involve you at all."

The Engines became nervous. Sunset Shimmer was just as tensed, often wondering what Adagio was quietly doing during all this. Adagio only watched while giving slight reactions to everyone's response, but soon felt satisfied the more she spotted fear in their complexions.

Gerard's arms hid behind his back. "Effective immediately, all steam traction is to be removed from the North Western Railway to make room for diesel and diesel electric. A large chuck of the Island's locomotives has declined by now, leaving just you lot and the tram engine."

Thomas gasped. "Oh, no, Toby! He still doesn't know."

"Rest assured," Gerard said. "J70 will be informed once I receive word of your departure."

"But I don't wanna leave Sodor!" Percy said.

"Please don't make us leave, Sir!" Emily begged. "We love working here!"

"I don't wanna be scrapped!" Henry exclaimed, dejectedly.

All the Engines began talking at once, some out of fear, some in anger. But mostly, everyone was afraid and expressed it so. Adagio saw this, and took great joy in watching everyone panic. Still baring a sly grin at their dismay, Adagio was then surprised when Gisborne spoke after calmly raising his hand to settle everyone down.

"All of you… except this one."

Adagio and the Engines looked to where he directed his hand. The brief silence worried Sunset, as all eyes were now suddenly on Thomas.

"Me?" He puffed out of his shed an inch.

"You're keeping Thomas?" Percy asked. "But why?"

"The Earl of Sodor is opening a Railway Museum at his estate in Ulfstead Castle. He's purchased a few engines already and has plans to add more. Upon my request, you, E2, are to be the star attraction."

Thomas was speechless. A star attraction in a Railway Museum? But Thomas didn't want to be in a museum. He wanted to work on his branchline with his coaches Annie & Clarabel, to see his friends everyday and be really useful. This was hard to take in. While he was relieved to avoid any possibility of turning into scrap, this meant that all his friends would still be taken away and likely scrapped too.

"Many tourists will travel from all over the globe just to see the 'famous Thomas the Tank Engine', and bring in even more revenue for our Railway. So, I'd consider yourself lucky, E2."

Adagio Dazzle raised an unimpressed brow. She didn't see what made Thomas so special to warrant such an offer. How could an chipper, annoying engine draw people to travel far and wide just to see he existed. At the same time, she saw no real harm in Gisborne's decision. So long as him and his friends remained separated from each other was all that mattered.

Gordon and James were envious while the rest wondered how Thomas was handling Gisborne's offer. Sunset was surprised by this news too. Thomas did not like this one bit and rejected Gerard's idea.

"But what about my friends?" Thomas finally spoke. "What about my coaches, Annie & Clarabel?"

"Ah, yes. The two Stroudley coaches received a glowing report from the Company's last inspection. They'll be remodeled to fit in better with our updated policy."

Thomas glared at Gisborne. The Engines did the same, despite some apprehension and fear still lingering.

"As for the rest of you," Gisborne continued, with a tint of delight still present in his sophisticated tone. "You are to remain in your sheds until further notice. Tomorrow you'll be informed of the ferry's next scheduled arrival to have you transported back to your factory of origin."

At last, Thomas had enough. He stood up to Gerard Gisborne.

"We're not going anywhere, Mr. Gisborne!" He objected, boldly. "I don't care what you, or Diesel, or anyone has to say about steam engines. Sodor is our home. Sir Topham Hatt is our controller. And that's how its gonna be. We're staying right here!"

The Steam Team all cheered and whistled in agreement. Sunset smiled from overhearing this all the while. Thomas' determination never ceases to impress her. Adagio Dazzle wasn't impressed, and neither was Gisborne. Her eyes glowed green as did Gisborne's, giving him commands through her magical charm while grinning at their misfortunes.

"That's not up to you," Gerard sneered. "And that'll be Director Gisborne to you. The days of steam are gone. Out with the old, in with the new, discard the past, embrace the future."

This managed to frighten everyone straight, just as Adagio hoped. Then, with arms behind his back, Gerard walked back to Adagio's cab and climbed aboard. Adagio shot the engines all a condescending grin before puffing off the Turntable.


As she parked along the track she came, Sunset Shimmer backed onto the Turntable again once it reached her line, and rotated to face Adagio fully.

"Well, well," Adagio Dazzle mocked. "If it isn't Canterlot High's biggest meanie."

"You won't get away with this," Sunset Shimmer threatened.

Adagio was unfazed. "Things might've turned out different last time you said so, but I think we can both agree this puny world is already mine for the taking."

"That's what you thought when you tried taking over our school. And look how that turned out."

"An underestimated folly I won't be making again."

"Think again. Because my friends and I-"

"Will do what?" She interrupted, snidely. "Utilize magic in a world completely out of your element to stop me like you did at the Battle of the Bands?"

Sunset darted the ground nervously. Of course, she could use the same magic again to defeat her, but Sunset was starting to doubt if she even could. How could they, when there was a hefty limitation to using their pony magic. Without their means of instrumentation, they really couldn't defeat her the same way as before.

"Without your little syndicate of steam engines and messily high schoolers all together, your magic in this world won't even so much as leave a mark on my conquest."

"Is there a reason for the hold up, DRB 50?" Gerard asked, leaning out from the cab.

Thomas watched the two engines across the turntable from his shed, worried over what they could be talking about. Sunset continued glaring while feeling frustrated for not having a come back.

"So, go ahead and bring your friends," Adagio joyfully derided. "Try and defeat me the same way again. I wouldn't have it any other way, Sunset Shimmer. And you know it!"

On that, Adagio Dazzle puffed away with a sinister laugh, leaving a dumbstruck Sunset and the others with all that's been put upon them.

"Who was that, Sunset?" Percy asked.

Rotating on the turntable to face them again, Sunset told them all about the Sirens, and how her and the others back at Canterlot High managed to defeat them before using their negative consuming magic to take control of their world. She then told them why Diesel came to her world, and how he tried recruiting Adagio's lackeys for her plan to conquer Sodor through dieselization. The Engines have never heard of such a creature. They assumed many unordinary beings lived in or hail from Equestria, but this was a whole new stretch for them.

"I knew Diesel couldn't have been right!" Percy said, cheerfully.

"That's right, Percy!" Thomas said. "It also means the Siren's magic could be what's causing all this."

"Didn't you hear what Gisborne said?" Gordon argued. "About what they're doing over on the Other Railway? This was going to happen regardless of any Siren telling them to do so. She's just taking advantage of the situation."

"We don't know that for sure, Gordon," Thomas argued. "It's gotta be her magic gem."

"Maybe the Siren must've somehow found her way to the Railway Company," Henry said. "And charmed them into giving out orders to abolish steam."

"But why does she want to get rid of us?" James said. "Wasn't it you and our friends at Canterlot High who defeated her?"

"We did," Sunset said. "But I don't know how she fixed her gem or why she's so bent on taking over Sodor. I could only gain so much info off Diesel through my Geode Crystal."

"There's gotta be some way to stop her and save our home," Edward said, before solemnly changing his tone. "Anything to avoid being sent away."

Sunset Shimmer and the Engines all thought to themselves, wondering just what Adagio's motives were. If she's a creature who uses a ruby gem to consume negative energy, then how does replacing steam with diesel accomplish this? Were diesel's more aggressive and prone to argue? They needed a plan of their own, but didn't know where to begin.

"I know!" Thomas thought, "Why don't we go to Canterlot High! We can hide there until we figure out a plan. Twilight Sparkle and the others will know what to do too."

"But we were told to stay in our sheds, Thomas," Percy said. "We can't refuse orders from the Railway Company, can we?"

"I can't believe such a thing is seriously being suggested," Gordon boomed. "If we're caught, Gisborne is sure fast track our departure."

"Well, we can't stay here," Emily said. "Mr. Gisborne will be back tomorrow to tell us when we're leaving. It could even be that very day for all we know."

"I agree," Sunset said. "Waiting anywhere on Sodor is too risky. You'll be much safer in our dimension."

"I vote we go," Henry said, abruptly.

"Then its settled," Thomas decided, undoubtedly excited. "We're going back to Canterlot High."

Everyone eventually agreed it was best to leave the Island of Sodor, but only where they wanted to go as opposed to Gisborne's instructions. Even so, it would be worth it to visit their friends again. They have not kept in contact with them in a long time. Sunset's visit along with her reunion with Thomas inspired them to take the leap and head on over to see their friends again. But first, some of the Engines first had to check up on some things before the journey, as well as refill on some coal and water. They made a plan and began putting it into motion.

"How come Thomas gets asked to be the star attraction instead of a splendid red engine like myself?" James complained, much to the Engines eye rolling. "I'd make a great museum piece. After all, what will this island be without my shiny red paint for everyone to admire?"

"Not the time, James," Emily scolded.

"We better find Toby and let him in on the plan too," Thomas said.

"I'll go with you," Sunset volunteered. "The rest of you get organized. We'll meet up near the Magic Railroad once everyone's ready. Don't let anyone suspect what you're doing, especially the Siren."

The Steam Team agreed, as they and Sunset quietly exit Tidmouth Sheds, readying for their journey to Canterlot High.


To Be Continued.