• Published 13th Jan 2019
  • 3,196 Views, 103 Comments

Thomas & Equestria Girls 2: Adventures From Sodor - LPFanFic



The Equestria Girls travel to the Island of Sodor to stop an old enemy and their devastating scheme. All while Thomas and his friends try to find purpose in an ever changing world.

  • ...
 103
 3,196

Chapter 15: Welcome To Crystal Prep Pt. 1

Thomas & Equestria Girls 2:
Adventures From Sodor!

Chapter 15: Welcome to Crystal Prep Pt. 1

It was late in the afternoon. The Sun barely dipped into the horizon with a few rays stretching out from the descending star. Thomas was running down the streets of a suburban neighborhood when he finally arrived at Canterlot High. He panted and paced towards the Wondercolt Statue, ready to make a turn to the eastern side where the Magic Railroad portal was.

After learning of Henry and Edward's departure from his television show, Thomas knew it was only a matter of time before they were both taken off Sodor back in their world. He just hoped that Sunset and the other were able to rescue them on time. And if not, Thomas was prepared to go to any length to prevent what's already been set in this world. Though the outcome may seem bleak, Thomas was too determined and too afraid to care.

Before he could make a turn and hop in through portal, Percy jumped in and got in Thomas' way. Thomas couldn't stop on time and skidded right into Percy, knocking both teens down on the ground. Both friends stood back on their feet again while trying to recover.

"Percy!" Thomas said in annoyance. "What'd you do that for?"

"Sorry, Thomas," Percy said. "I didn't know how else to stop you."

Thomas turned and saw the rest of his friends catching up to them. Gordon, James, Toby, Emily and Juniper Montage gathered around the two friends.

"You can't talk me out of it, everyone," Thomas rebuffed. "I'm going back home. They may need me."

"And what exactly do you hope to accomplish by doing so, Thomas?" Gordon asked.

"Didn't you hear what Quibble Pants said? My show's entering a dark age. They already got rid of Henry and Edward, and now they're both close to being shipped off Sodor for good." Thomas turned to face the portal, "I have to do something!"

"It's not your show, Thomas!" James argued. "How many times do we have to tell you? Besides, Sunset Shimmer told us to stay here."

"I know it sounds bad," Juniper explained, "but maybe things will turn out different than what we're all expecting to happen."

"Even though everything we've done on Sodor we've done on the show as well?" Thomas added.

"Uh, well, yeah. But we also haven't even seen Henry and Edward leave yet."

Thomas sighed in frustration. He looked to the Wondercolt statue and began inching closer to the portal, still set on going back home.

Whether or not Juniper was right, things were changing much too quickly for Thomas and his friends. Everything they did back home aligned almost too accurately with his TV series. It was rather frighteningly too accurate for their liking. There's no telling what fate lied in store for Thomas and his friends, a fate Thomas was determined to prevent soon before it came into fruition. The Other engines felt the same distress over the thought, but were sensible enough to accept the situation as is. They were more confident that their friends from Canterlot High would at least fix things up than they were confident in how long the Engines have until they too must leave Sodor, a thought none of them wished never to linger on.

"Thomas," Toby chimed. "Our friends are doing everything they can already. I'm scared about this so called dark age as well, but we have to trust that they'll get Henry and Edward safely away from all that danger."

"Toby's right, Thomas," Emily said. "You know more than any of us that those girls will pull through, don't you? I wanna rescue our friends more than anyone. But this is all we have to work with."

"Please stay, Thomas," Percy begged.

Thomas looked at Percy, then back at all his friends. He remembered the same look they gave him the night they escaped Sodor. When Edward and Henry were captured, Thomas wanted to go back and save them despite there being no way he could do so. Now he was in that moment again, seeing the glum faces of all his friends begging him to stay. Thomas knew that his Sodor friends are important. But to leave what's left on the basis of little faith he had in his Canterlot friends wasn't what he needed to do, and he realized that not only was he wrong for thinking this, but there wasn't much he could do if he did try accompanying the Girls.

Finally, Thomas exhaled in dismay and turned his back towards the statue base. Everyone was relieved.

"I guess… Sunset and our friends will be fine without me," Thomas smiled with assurance.

"We've got nothing to worry about knowing our Canterlot High friends are over there doing what they do best," Percy said.

"I know Sunset's been to Sodor before, but can they still do their magic stuff as engines?" Gordon asked. "Their magic is quite different. Who knows if it'll even work on Sodor."

"We'll just have to trust them to figure that out on their own," Thomas smiled.

"Which won't be too much trouble," Toby commented. "They are quite adaptable after all."

"Adaptable?" Percy said.

"That means you're able to learn something new really quick and not have trouble getting use to it," Juniper explained.

"So, pretty much what we've been doing!" James boasted. "Since we've become accustomed to being people, I mean."

"I wouldn't say we've become completely accustomed yet, James," Emily commented. "Just because we can walk and hold stuff with hands doesn't mean we've mastered other stuff yet."

"But we were able to do lots of things since our last visit," Thomas commented. "Maybe there's more we have to learn now?"

"Perhaps there may be more to being a person," Gordon explained. "But even so, there's nothing I can't do that I already achieve just as swift and robust as an engine."

"Being a person isn't as hard as being an engine. Our friends have it way more difficult than we do. And we don't even have a single solitary problem on our backs! If anything, we're the ones whose got it easy!" James chuckled, proudly.


Just then, the portal leading to the Magic Railroad glowed and rippled. Something was coming through. Everyone was nearly caught off guard. And when they saw who came through the portal, the shocked Engines nearly shouted his name.

Diesel appeared and stood in front of the Wondercolt Statue while wobbling to a steady stance. He examined his appearance, still a bit disguised by his form.

He was still dressed with his messy, black hair styled in a fohawk with a single red highlight and undercut shaved sides, green eyes, and light, persian bluish grey skin. He wore a sleeveless, multi pocketed, slim moto jacket, a sleeveless, black hoodie with red drawstrings, and a black sleeveless shirt underneath. Black biker gloves, a pair of dark grey, skinny ripped jeans, and black, ankle length combat boots with red lace and silver soles were also still present.

Juniper saw everyone frozen in fright. She quickly and quietly instructed and shoved the Engines behind the Wondercolt statue before Diesel could spot them. Thomas, Percy, James and Juniper poked out from the side to spy on him.

"Okay," James whispered in a panic, "now we have a problem!"

Diesel surveyed the campus by looking to both sides of his peripheral vision, then made his way over to the sidewalk. Everyone hustled over to the other side of the Statue to avoid being spotted. The three peaked out again to see were Diesel went, only to find him standing on the side of the sidewalk with hands to his hips and repeated tapping of his foot impatiently.

"What's Diesel doing here?!" Percy whispered.

"Looking for you guys probably," Juniper replied. "Didn't he try capturing you on your way here?"

"No doubt about it," Thomas said.

Suddenly, a small purple bus with a yellow and gold stream on its sides and yellow lighting pattern on the front pulled up along the sidewalk. This wasn't a city bus that Juniper recognized. The doors slip open and Diesel stepped inside. Everyone was confused.

Thomas looked to his left to see Juniper was gone. He searched everywhere for her until Thomas spotted her sneaking up behind the bus. She beckoned everyone to follow her. Juniper gets the back door open much to everyone's apprehension.

"Get inside, quickly! We'll follow him and see what he's up to."

One by one, the Engines hopped on board with Juniper climbing in last and closing the door behind before the bus could take off. Diesel sat up at the front. His back laid comfortably with both arms resting behind his head with eyes closed. Thomas and his friends stayed hidden behind the seats far back. They had to crouch on the floor and remain quiet so as to not make their presence known.

"Diesel getting on a bus?" Percy whispered to Thomas. "Where could he possibly need to go in this city?"

Thomas simply discerned the same question to himself. Diesel must know they were all hiding in Canterlot High. Could he be hopping on this bus to explore the city in hopes of spotting them? At this point they wondered why following him onto a mysterious bus was such a good idea if they were to avoid being captured. But trying to puzzle Diesel's reasons for returning made them realize something else was going on that they might not know about. It was up to them to investigate. If only to see if his trip on this mysterious bus involved them or not.


The bus made a few stops along the way before coming to a complete stop. Nobody moved a muscle, not even when hearing the front doors open. Juniper peaked from behind one of the seats and saw that the driver was gone too.

Juniper stepped out first. As Thomas goes to hop out, one of the engines tripped and ended up knocking down the rest with him. The Engines lied on top of each other in a single pile before getting back up and rubbing off their sores.

"Hey, who did that?!" Percy complained.

"It wasn't me!" James claimed.

"Well It had to be one of you silly engines!" Gordon argued.

The Engines argued until Juniper got their attention. Stopping mid argument, the Engines all gawked and gazed at the sight of where their arrival took them. They were no longer at Canterlot High, but a much bigger and different and expansive institution.

The place they arrived was at a tall, three story purplish brown building with teal, triangle slanted roofing and a sparkling blue crystalline structure. There were more windows than they can count, spikes poked out from all edges and pierced from the middle roof, which had two tall crystalline pillars covered in green moss and small windows. There was a separate building attached where the auditorium was located. The Engines tilted their heads back pretty far just to see the top of the tall central tower where a clock was. They stood and looked around the parking lot, seeing a basketball course to their left and a lounging area with outdoor umbrella tables.

"What is this place?" Emily asked.

"Isn't this the school you guys are competing against?" Juniper asked.

Thomas' eyes widened. "This is Crystal Prep Academy?"

Everyone else was amazed. Just when they thought Canterlot High was a big enough school by their standards, Crystal Prep Academy looked as though it could house millions more students.

"Now that's what I call a school!" Gordon said. "Polished, important, and bigger than any other. A fitting institute for a proper engine."

"This school is for people, Gordon," Percy teased. "I don't think there's enough room for engines."

"Do you think we got off too late?" Thomas asked, searching their vicinity. "I don't see Diesel anywhere."

"Let's not go looking for him just in case he is after us," Emily suggested.

"He's fishing for needles in a haystack at this point," Juniper said. "We got nothing to worry about."

"At least we're at Crystal Prep now," Toby said. "We should check in to see when the Crystal Race is starting, and get ourselves prepared."


Thomas and the others walked towards the back doors and entered CPA. Inside Crystal Prep Academy was just as luxurious and well structured as it did on the outside. There were lockers, like CHS, classrooms, like CHS, hallways and stairwells that led to different parts of the school, just like CHS. Except, everything at Crystal Prep appeared either vastly bigger and with a prestige, crystal like structure aesthetic.

"Wow!" Emily said. "Check out this school. It's all so big!"

"It most certainly is!" Gordon said. "If Lady had gotten lost here, I would have no problem sticking around a fine place like this."

"No way," James said. "Look how shiny everything is. There isn't a single scratch or dust to be had. This is the school for me!"

There were a few students occupying the hallways and walking by the group. School was done for the day but some arrived or stayed after classes to attend the Crystal Race. Thomas and the others noticed that this school had a very specific dress code. All students wore reddish-purple blazers or vests, dark-blue ties or bow ties, and black shoes. Male students wore dark-blue slacks while female students wore reddish-purple tartan skirts. Each and every student looked sophisticated and studious. And there wasn't a genuine smile to be seen from anyone.

Thomas' and the other's admiration were quickly dwindled by the students and their now glaring fixation. Some stopped what they were doing to turn and face the brightly colored Engines, who stuck out like a sore thumb compared to everyone dressed in uniform. The gang simply continued walking on, feeling a bit intimidated by their fierce stares which instilled an unwelcoming greeting.

Two students purposely nudge Junipers shoulders while walking by and didn't stop to apologize.

"Hey, excuse you!" Juniper called.

"These are my kind of people," Gordon said. "At least they know how important they are."

"They're still a bunch of jerks!" James complained. "Just like the Shadowbolts."

"Huh!" He snooted. "Those Shadowbolts wish they were important enough to enroll in such a fine establishment. They have nothing but luck to thank for their attendance."

"Where do suppose we find the principal's office?" Toby asked.

"I don't know, Toby," Thomas said. "Principal Celestia's office was near the front entrance at Canterlot High. Let's try searching there."

Their search didn't take them far when they approached a woman from across the hall. The woman had Moderate violet hair with moderate rose and pale gold streaks, pale pink skin and purple eyes. She stopped the group after looking over her clipboard and went up to greet everyone.

"Why, hello! You must be the new Wondercolts Celestia called about, correct?"

"How did you know that?" Thomas asked, a little surprised.

"I think I would recognize my own students, especially if they were in uniform."

Thomas looked around and saw that they were in deed easy to make out.

"Oh. I guess it would," He chuckled.

"I'm Principal Cadance. Nice to meet you!"

She extended a hand for Thomas to take, which he happily accepted.

"Wow, thanks! You might just be the friendliest person we've met here so far."

"We haven't had the best welcome so far," Juniper said.

"My apologies," Cadance said. "Seems our last principal's teaching method has unfortunately rubbed off on some students."

"I'll say," James complained. "Those Shadowbolts called me names and made fun of us for not being good enough to compete against them."

Cadance sighed. "I was afraid I'd hear that."

"How could you select such rude people like that for the games?" Emily asked.

"I know those girls can be a bit... difficult, but they do care for our school an awful lot. I selected them in hopes that they'll build on some much-needed sportsmanship. They're not the best CPA has to offer for nothing."

"We're not gonna let some snotty teenagers spoil our fun," Emily commented. "We're in this to help the other schools after all."

"I'm glad to hear. My hope for this race is to mend a new bond between Canterlot High and Crystal Prep. It'd be a bit of a contrast to have both teams getting under each others skins. Especially when we're all working towards a common goal."

"Maybe we can show the Shadowbolts what it means to work together!" Percy suggested.

"Percy's right!" Thomas said. "We're all able workers, Ms. Cadance. We know the first thing about teamwork."

"Is that right? Well, I already like your enthusiasm," Cadance smiled. "Maybe you are just what we need to liven things a bit."

Principal Cadance and the rest exchanged smiles before she moved on to give Thomas and his friends instructions on where to go and what to prepare for.

"Everyone's meeting outside in the soccer field to welcome the Wondercolts. You'll need to check in there before we begin the first event."

"A big welcome?" A surprised James said before looking back at Gordon. "Oh, now we're talking!

"Those Shadowbolts will finally see the respect we deserve," Gordon smiled.

"Just follow the hallway where you came from and it should lead you right outside to the field," Cadance instructed.

"Thanks for your help, Principal Cadance!" Thomas said. "Come on, everyone!"

The Engines cheered as they followed Thomas back down the hallway they came. Thomas stopped to look back at Juniper when he notice her not following him and his friends. She stayed behind while hugging her arms and her head hung low in dismay. This confused the engines, especially Thomas.

"Aren't you coming, Juniper?" He asked.

"Six per team, remember?"

"But you can still cheer us on, can't you?" Percy asked.

"Definitely," Juniper smiled. "I'll be rooting for you from the bleachers. Good luck!"

Thomas and the others had completely forgotten the team limit for competing members. They wanted Juniper to join but if the rules stated only six can join, they didn't make a fuss about it.

"Thanks! We'll see you later, Juniper," Thomas called before starting is march. "Off we go to the Crystal Race!"

The Engines laughed and cheered again before proudly marching to the Soccer field. Juniper simply waved until the group was out of sight. She would've given anything to participate with the engines. It sounded like it would've been fun to play along characters from a childhood show she grew up with. But watching them in action much like she did back when she was little was good enough.


The sun had finally gone down, leaving a bleak twilight sky in its wake. The stars had not fully appeared yet, but the darker it became, the more they sparkled. Thomas and his friends made their way to the soccer field. They didn't have much trouble finding it, as there was a loud and rambunctious shouting echoing across campus. Thomas shrugged at his friends before continuing on and following the noises. The parking lot was dimly lit, but when the Engines left the lot, things started to get dark again, save for a white tunnel a head. The group continued on, hearing the cheers, and eventually music, getting louder and louder the closer they trekked through the corridors.

At last, Thomas and the others breached through the white glare and found themselves facing the entire CPA Soccer Pitch.

The Engines covered their eyes from the blinding floodlights illuminating the entire soccer field. When their eyes adjusted, the engines saw a steel framed, high capacity stadium bleachers packed to the brim with CPA students stationed along the soccer field edges. They looked above and saw that the tunnel they came through was also connected to a grandstand bleacher. The students chanted with school spirits, all while a marching band paraded across the flatland in triangle formations. The music heard earlier upon entering was a street beat drum cadence. Many marching band members carried precision snare drums, bass drums, and four-piece drums around their necks. Their rhythmic beats bellowed and boomed across the large open area along with the crowds of people cheering in support.

Thomas and his friends were all astounded. Some of them were excited and impressed with the set up. Everywhere they saw millions of students holding up Shadowbolt and CPA banners. The vast field and raining confetti were also a sight to take in. This introductory ceremony for a Crystal Race must be truly important if the whole school came to show their support. Suddenly, they were getting a pretty good idea of just how big this Crystal Race was made out to be. Juniper Montage managed to find a seat to get a good view. She was excited to see Thomas and the others in action.

Meanwhile, Principal Cadance had arrived at an announcer's booth. Both her and another announcer were sitting at a desk with headsets, ready to begin their broadcast. Cadance began her announcement.

"Hello and welcome everyone to Crystal Prep Academy's very own Crystal Race! A competition between two schools to test who can compete in varying games of speed, aptitude and solidarity between team members and their respected competitors."

The crowd's cheers and applause continued echoing all over campus.

"I am joined by CPA alumni Shining Armor as we bring you the breakdown of each event taking place. Thank you for joining us, Shining Armor! Always a pleasure having you back at our school."

"Happy to be here, Principal Cadance!" He said. "Unlike the Friendship Games, Crystal Prep and Canterlot High will be competing in a fundraiser for better schooling opportunities. A worthy cause if I do say so myself."

"We'll be broadcasting a unique set of challenges unlike anything CPA has held before. These games have been set to a new level, testing competitors in practicing their patience and fortitude, and to work through each event based on what they've learned from each of their respective course."

"That's right, our students will be tested in nearly every field of mathematics, athleticism, carpentry and advanced physics. A plethora of many options I personally believe a proper school should support, and what we're here to achieve for all schools across Canterlot City!"

Thomas decided to step out into the field a bit more with his friends following behind. When they did, almost everyone went silent. The music and cheering stopped and all eyes turned to the Engines, who stood still and watched everyone fixate their attention solely on this unexpected group. They weren't the team that CPA thought were supporting their school. They were expecting Twilight Sparkle and her friends from the Friendship Games.

Shining Armor squinted and looked out to see the group too. He was just as confused. Him and Principal Cadance then removed their headsets.

"Wait. Who are these guys?" He leaned in to Cadance.

"These are the Wondercolts, dear."

"But I thought Twily was competing?"

"There was a last-minute change. Twilight and her friends had to leave on an important trip."

"What? To where?"

Principal Cadance simply shrugged. Shining Armor sighed and slouched in his chair.

"Once again always leaving me out of her business. At least I won't have to secretly root for the Wondercolts."

"We're here to sport a friendly game, remember?" Cadance assured while patting his shoulder. "Besides, I'm sure this team of Wondercolts can bring a new edge to the competition."

"That makes two of us."

"Why don't we just begin and see where it goes?"

Shining Armor agreed and placed his headphones back on.

"Ladies and gentlemen," He announce. "Let's all welcome the Wondercolts to CPA!"

But instead of receiving cheers, the crowd remained silent saved for a cricket chirping in the background. Students sitting in the bleachers all leered with blank expression at the Engines. Some often looked to one another and shrugged. Thomas and the others were a bit nervous. James however was yuking it up.

"Why did they stop cheering?" Thomas asked.

"I don't think they're happy to see us," Percy said, intimidated.

"It wouldn't hurt to put a little effort into a friendlier greeting," Toby said.

"I guess that's too much to ask from a rival school," Gordon commented. "Looks like the Shadowbolts aren't the only students who can't recognize an important engine standing right in front of them."

"Nonsense. Absolute silence in the best way to admire one's greatness," James bragged, still showing off. "It gives them more energy to really soak in all that they need to see."

"Maybe that's why we haven't heard anything," Emily pointed.

The Engines all looked to where Emily directed them.


At the far end of the soccer pitch was a long white stage with violet and velvet curtains.

[Just then, the soccer pitch dimmed their floodlights to complete darkness. Only stage lights, pointed at the front section, radiated a bluish, purple ambiance in the darkened, late afternoon field. Smoke surrounded the entire stage and quiet music began slowly playing.]

CP Students: "Ahhh-ohhh... Shhh!"

[The curtain unveiled to reveal five silhouettes of people slowly stepping towards the stage front. All the while, a single percussion drummer tapped on his kit during quiet portions of the performance build up.]

"Ahhh-ohhh... Na, na, na-na-na, oh."

"Ha!"

[Thomas and his friends didn't know what to make of this. They were still intimidated by the crowd and their confusion over this sudden performance only added to the effect.

The five silhouettes eventually reveal themselves as the Shadowbolts. Sour Sweet took center stage while Sunny Flare and Sugarcoat stood to her left and Lemon Zest and Indigo Zap to her right.]

"The Crystal Race!"

[The rest of CPA's band members joined in as the silence quickly and abruptly switched to an energized performance. One student in particular kicked things off with his electric guitar and jammed through out the majority of the song with the band's precision players. The stage and pot lights also matched the fast pace rhythm, often flickering and pointing in random directions.

Lights switched on below each of the Shadowbolts. Starting off first with Sunny Flare and Indigo Zap.]

Shadowbolts: "We've come this far and we're not going back."

CP Students: "No way!"

[Then they flickered beneath Sugarcoat and Lemon Zest.]

"Prepare yourself cause we're on the attack."

"Attack!"

[Then lastly, lights shined beneath Sour Sweet, who proceeded to take center stage.]

"Won't have to find us we'll be tracking you down."

"Right now!"

"And when we're finished, we'll be takin' the crown,"

[It wasn't just the Shadowbolts and the band preforming. The crowds of CPA Students from the bleachers would join in at an appropriate time to show just how serious they were to win.]

Shadowbolts "All the way."
CP Students: "All the way."

"All the way to the Crystal Race."

"Na, na, na-na-na, oh! Na, na, let's go!"

"All the way."
"All the way."

"All the way to the Crystal Race."

"Na, na, na-na-na, oh. Na, na, let's go!"

[The Shadowbolts took their performance seriously, often moving in a sophisticated and professional manner. The Engines still didn't know what to make of this. At first, they thought it was entertaining and flattering to have this big presentation welcome them to their school. But seeing stern looks in everyone's eyes told them otherwise.]


"That's right, everyone," Shining Armor began, "Crystal Prep Academy is not a school to be taken lightly. Everyone will have a front row view of the Shadowbolts in action!"

"There's certainly a lot of high spirits tonight, Shining Armor," Principal Cadance commented. "So long as this keeps up, CPA is sure to reach our goal for the Academic Fundraiser in no time."

"In deed, Principal Cadance! CPA's reputation and history with Canterlot High is sure to give donors an enthralling competition like no other."

"So, without further ado," Cadance beamed. "Let's watch,"

"And learn!" Shinning Armor finished.

Cadance chuckled a little to a smiling Shining Armor.


[The Shadowbolts continued their song while the Engines waited and wished for the rally to end soon.]

Lemon Zest: "We studied hard and we trained to win."

CP Students: "Whoa-oh."

Sugarcoat: "We're only telling you once."

[Sour Sweet especially was relishing in their confidence.]

Sour Sweet: "Don't stand a chance because we're on top."

Shadowbolts: "What you see's what you get. Don't you ever forget!"

[The crowds sitting in their bleachers became rowdier, much more than they're usually known for. They joined in with the Shadowbolts who began striking their fist to the air while singing to the booming music.]

Shadowbolts "All the way!"
CP Students: "All the way!"

"All the way to the Crystal Race!"

"Na, na, na-na-na, oh! Na, na, let's go!"

[The Precision band and guitarist's music boomed and echoed through the area]

"All the way!"
"All the way!"

"All the way to the Crystal Race!"

"Na, na, na-na-na, oh! Na, na, let's go!"

"Na, na, na-na-na, oh! Na, na, let's go!"

[Just when Thomas and the Engines thought it wasn't over yet, the song finally started to slow. The crowd less rowdy, and the excitement dwindled within their whispering voices.]

CP Students: "Na, na, na-na-na, oh. Na, na, let's go!"

"Na, na, na-na-na, oh. Na, na, let's go!"


After the stage show wrapped, The Engines and Shadowbolts met near the stage. The Shadowbolts noticed them and went up with condescending smiles. Lemon Zest, however, was busy listening to her music to pay any attention.

"So, what did you think of our performance?" Sour Sweet leered with delight.

"Yeah?! You guys ready to lose?" Indigo Zap smirked with crossed arms.

James marched over to her. "Oh, we're more than ready, alright. Ready to take you down easier than you can count! Just give me a plain field and we'll see just how badly you'll fall behind."

Indigo Zap and James glared daggers into each other's eyes.

"Don't forget which school is hosting this fundraiser," Sour Sweet said. "This is liter-ally our race."

"So, you know, there's no shame in calling it quits to save yourselves the trouble," Sunny Flare added.

"It's not like this is the only game in the Crystal Race," Toby said. "There's no need to act like either of us is gonna be a head of the curve."

"Oh, you sure?" Sunny Flare taunted. "Wouldn't want to sprain an ankle on your way to the first event."

"But that's impossible. We're not that reckless on our feet."

"Better safe than sorry, dearie."

"It'll be more embarrassing if you continue long enough to lose against us," Indigo Zap added.

"A shame indeed!" Gordon chuckled. "Losing to the Shadowbolts; the worst team in Canterlot."

Gordon and a few engines laughed while the Shadowbolts scowled.

"You clearly haven't heard of CPA's reputation, haven't you?" Sugarcoat said.

"Huh!" Gordon huffed. "My reputation as Sodor's most important engine far exceeds any make-believe reputation you silly girls have."

"Our reputation exceeds literally all other schools because we offer only the highest educational courses. Including but not limited to everything from Algebra, Algebra II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, literature, Composition, Advanced Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, World History, Geography, Computer Applications, graphic and web design, Physical education, Welding, Auto Mechanics and Carpentry."

Gordon was stunned silent. He had no response at all.

"But I bet you weren't even keeping track of a quarter of what I've listed, have you?" Sugarcoat said, with crossed arms.

The other Engines were a bit overwhelmed by Sugarcoat's list as well. They didn't even know what half of those classes where. The blank, speechless expressions on their faces was a good enough indication to the Shadowbolts that they in deed recognized none of those classes.

"Wow," Thomas said. "Do we really need to know all that in order to win?"

Sugarcoat shrugged. "It helps."

"Looks like you and your friends aren't going to have as much luck as you let on," Sour Sweet teased.

"Oh yeah?!" Thomas fired back. "Well, w-we don't need to know any of that stuff to win."

Looking to patronize him, Sour Sweet went up to Thomas' and pinched his cheek.

"That's the spirit! Just go out there and do your best!" She beamed sweetly, before switching to sour. "If you wanna look like the biggest losers in front of every contributing institution."

Thomas was now worried. Did they really need to be school educated in order to properly compete; Or at the very least to win a game or two? Thomas wasn't so sure anymore. Neither were the other Engines.

Juniper Montage, from up on the bleachers, could just barely see the Engines and Shadowbolts arguing away. Just then, she spotted something to her horrific shock out on the field. She had to warn Thomas and the others, but they were too far away to hear, and she couldn't call, text, or pass the message on through the crowd. Juniper Montage could only watch and anticipate the worst. If things went south, she was ready to leap in and help her new friends.

"Well," Percy said. "We promised Principal Cadance that we'd try to work together as a team. And I'd suggest you do the same if we wanna do good for the fun-grazer."

The Shadowbolts simply weren't amused by Percy or his mispronunciation.

"We know exactly what we're doing, dearie," Sunny Flare claimed. "A lot of people are depending on CPA because this is a cause we can actually fulfill. And we will, because that's what's expected of us."

"Did you girls even find someone for your team yet?" Toby asked. "You're still one member short to be competing mind you."

Sour Sweet looked back at her friends, all making the same face she did. She then crossed her arms and casually darted the ground after an eye roll.

"Ye-ah. We did."

"Unfortunately," Sugarcoat said, insipidly.

Sour Sweet scowled her.

"Oh? Who did you get?" Thomas asked.

Hesitantly, The Shadowbolts moved out of the way. And out from the group came Diesel with a creeping smirk on his face.

"Hello, steamies!"

The engines gasped with gaping jaws and nearly jumped in their shoes.

"Diesel?!" Thomas exclaimed.

"Looking forward to the games, are we? I know I can't wait to get started!"

Diesel then bursts into a nasally cackle with his arms spread out in an evil flare.


To Be Continued.