• Published 13th Jan 2019
  • 3,195 Views, 103 Comments

Thomas & Equestria Girls 2: Adventures From Sodor - LPFanFic



The Equestria Girls travel to the Island of Sodor to stop an old enemy and their devastating scheme. All while Thomas and his friends try to find purpose in an ever changing world.

  • ...
 103
 3,195

Chapter 11: Two Ways of Doing Things

Thomas & Equestria Girls 2:
Adventures From Sodor!

Chapter 11: Two Ways of Doing Things

The Girl's visit to Sodor has so far been anything but a smooth start. While some did manage to adapt at traveling on wheels, others didn't catch on as quick to their new forms. Fluttershy couldn't apply her brakes and needed Spike coupled up to act as such, and Twilight Sparkle couldn't drive so Sunset Shimmer had to tow her around. Worse still, they were running low on fuel, and didn't know their way around Sodor. With many diesels active on the rails, it was difficult searching for any hopper or tower to provide them more coal and water.


Mavis, a diesel they befriended, suggested they search for Sir Topham Hatt, in hopes that he'll be able to provide some guidance. The Girls agreed and took off down the mainland of Sodor's North Western Railway in search for it's former controller. Some of the Girls were still a bit worried regarding coal and water, however, especially seeing how quick Rainbow Dash used up hers.

"I hope we find some coal and water soon," Fluttershy said. "I wouldn't want to run out and not be able to move at all. The thought of that just sounds scary."

Rarity moaned, nervously. "How ever do our friends function off such resources? They must be constantly having to moderate between how much or how little to use whenever they're on the move."

"Locomotives don't use up all their fuel just like Rainbow Dash did," Twilight said. "Not unless it's for a long trip. And her entire speedshow equated to miles worth of regular locomotive travel.

"It must be because of her Geode," Sunset said.

"Her Geode?!" All but Twilight said.

"When Rainbow Dash used her super speed," Sunset explained, "her fuel must've depleted to equal the rate Rainbow Dash was traveling."

"Precisely," Twilight said. "It's likely the more super speed you use, the more water your boiler's evaporating. Which can only evaporate and produce steam if-"

"I waste all my coal and water?!" Rainbow Dash said.

Her and the others were shocked. They didn't realize just how much fuel they might've been using since their arrival. Running out and getting stuck in a predicament where their immobility could potentially lead to their capture frightened the Girls. Even Sunset was slightly stressed over this. She knew a bit more in regards to being an engine and didn't like the chances of this happening.

"I wonder if the rest of your geodes have the same affect?" Spike said.

"I don't wanna find out," Fluttershy said, nervously.

"You guys should be fine," Sunset tried reassuring. "It's Rainbow Dash and Applejack I'm more worried about."

"What do I got to do with it?" Applejack asked, confused.

"An engine using that much fortitude would require a sufficient amount of coal to exert enough forward momentum to push heavy loads," Twilight explained.

"So, I've about gone and used up most my coal too, is what yer sayin'? Ain't that an inconvenience."

"Hopefully Sir Topham Hatt can help us out with that," Sunset said.

"Maybe He Can Also Tell Us Why Twilight Can't Drive, Or Why Fluttershy's Having Trouble With Her Brakes?!" Pinkie said. "Or Why Whoever Invented Pizza Decided To Make Pineapples A Topping."

"Where in hay are we suppose find him anyway?" Applejack asked. "He could be anywhere on Sodor. He could even be off the Island fer all we know."

"Fluttershy can ask the local wildlife if they've seen him," Spike suggested. "There's gotta be tons of animals on Sodor. Odds are one of em might've seen him. Maybe even, oh I don't know, a squirrel? Just throwing that out there."

The Girls arrived at Dryaw Station in midst of their conversation. The station was next to an airfield, with a single large airplane hanger and various work shelters. It consisted of two platforms connected by a footbridge, with the western platform having a station building. Upon approaching the station, Rainbow Dash spotted someone sitting on a bench with their arms resting on their knees and back hunched forward in dismay.

"That won't be necessary," Rainbow Dash noticed.


Everyone else looked and saw to their surprise, Sir Topham Hatt. He was without his black top hat and tailcoat, and looking overtly troubled. Fluttershy biffed softly against Pinkie Pie's buffers, as her and her friends came to a steady stop by the station platforms.

"Um. Sir Topham Hatt?" Twilight Sparkle said.

Sir Topham Hatt heard his name and was a stunned to see four, oddly colored steam engines and a brake van parked along the platform, along with the other three over on the other track. He almost didn't recognize them at first. It took Sir Topham Hatt a second to discern their presence, then another to realize these weren't just any ordinary steam engines. These engines were from another world; a world where they're teenagers with magical powers.

"Oh, it's you! But… whatever are you girls doing on Sodor?" He then became stern. "Wait! Do your parents know you've crossed over into another dimension?"

The Girls shared sidelong glances.

"Actually-" But Twilight was interrupted.

"We Came To Stop The Siren From Turning Everyone Into Nasty, Meanie, Grumpy Heads By Conjuring Enough Negativity To Fuel Her Magic Gem And Turning Sodor Into A Continual Cycle Of Badness, Arguments, and Anger In Order To Keep All The Magic Gained From Spreading Hatred!" Pinkie Squeed.

A dumbstruck Sir Topham Hatt scratched his head and turned to Twilight, hoping she could elucidate their purpose.

"Um, what she said," Sunset smirked.

While meeting the girls on Sodor was a nice surprise, Sir Topham Hatt still felt dismayed over his engines being sent away.

"That's very kind of you all," He said, sitting back down on the bench. "But I'm afraid there's not much you can do now. Director Gisborne has already made too many changes to the Railway. I imagine all my engines will be scrapped before we can get to any of them."

"You don't know that for sure," Sunset said. "We managed to save Thomas and the others. So there's still a chance the rest of your engines will be okay."

Sir Topham Hatt eagerly jumped back on his feet.

"Wait, you mean, some of my engines are safe?!"

"As safe as they can be," Rainbow Dash boasted. "They're kicking it back in Canterlot right now. Nobody from this world can get to them even if they tried!"

"They're waiting for us while we try to solve this magic problem. Everyone… except… two," Fluttershy nearly whimpered.

Sir Topham Hatt wondered what she was so upset about. The Girls clarified Thomas' and the other's location before explaining Edward and Henry's absence.

"Oh, that's right. He doesn't know yet," Rarity said. "Poor Edward and Henry were caught by Diesel and his gang of riff rats when they tried to escape with Sunset yesterday."

"Oh, dear." Sir Topham Hatt couldn't believe it.

"But you can be sure as the cows come home we'll be brinin' 'em back before the rooster clucks to the morning sun," Applejack assured.

"Thank you… Uh, I think?"

This managed to relieve Sir Topham Hatt of some stress from thinking about his engines, and how long before their inevitable doom arrived. Knowing the whole ordeal prompted even the high school girls with magical powers to travel to Sodor, perhaps there really was something more behind this whole dieselization. But the Girls saw that he was still distressed by the whole thing, especially after hearing about Edward and Henry.

"Listen, everyone," Sir Topham Hatt explained. "I do appreciate your eagerness, but trying to interfere with Gisborne's Railway is not the proper thing."

"How about letting a Siren that's taken control of Gisborne take over your Railway?" Sunset added.

"This Railway belongs to you, Sir," Applejack said. "Thomas and the others are countin' on us to put it all back together."

"I don't know," He said, unsure. "This is quite a dangerous task you've all put upon yourselves."

"Uh, yah, it is!" Rainbow Dash said, enthusiastically. "If it were that easy, I'd have bored myself to sleep by now."

"But having someone navigate the rails, and supervise us would make this mission that much easier," Sunset added.

"What we're asking for is your help, Sir," Twilight Sparkle chimed. "For us and your engines."

"Ah, come on," Spike said. "Please?"

"Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Prrreeettty Pleeeaaasss?!" Pinkie Pie begged. "There's A Cherry On Top In It For Yah!"

Sir Topham Hatt was a bit apprehensive. Going with the Girls would be going against the Railway Company by means of sabotaging Gerard Gisborne's authority. He wasn't so sure if he should be braking that many regulations. But with Twilight, Sunset and the gang on Sodor, perhaps there was a way they could set things to how they were once again. He was still confused about the Siren's involvement. Even though he'd be undertaking a risky venture, Sir Topham Hatt did not want to lose his Railway or his tutelage. It was well worth it to save his engines most of all.

After looking back at everyone, Sir Topham Hatt gave a slight nod of assurance and smiled with determination.

"Alright," He said with intent. "Count me in!"

The Girls beamed and murmured to each other with excitement.

"Now, I see the portal has made you all into steam engines. That's going to complicate things a bit, but we can find ways to work around it." He examined their basis while stroking his chin, "How are some of you getting along with that, by the way?"

"Well…" Twilight lingered. "That's kinda, sorta, the reason we had to find you, actually."

Sir Topham Hatt looked around the station then faced the Girls again.

"We best set out before people start becoming suspicious."

The Girls agreed, looking around and noticing people gazing at the inconspicuous steam engines taking up both platforms. They were aware that diesels were the mode of transportation Sodor operated on now, so seeing steam engines still out in about confused a lot of passengers.


Sir Topham Hatt knew just where to find a water tower and coal hopper. It was too risky going to a shunting yard, so he took the Girls along the mainline where they eventually came across a coal hopper on Crosby. Now that one was found, there was still the question of whether or not it was full enough to replenish all seven engines, or if it's even filled with any coal at all.

Sunset Shimmer volunteered to go first. Her and Twilight pulled towards the steel tower and stopped underneath the hopper's chute. Sir Topham Hatt got out in order to operate the steel tower. To their relief, the coal tower was still operational. The coal chute then dispensed a cascade of coal which filled Sunset's tender. Since Twilight hasn't had a chance to use her water or coal, there was no need to replenish her tank. So, Rainbow Dash and Applejack went in after. Rarity watched as the coal finished filling Applejack's tender. Black powder billowed from her tender, followed by a strong smell that filled their vicinity.

"Yech," Rarity shuddered. "On second thought, darlings, is it really necessary to fill with coal? I'm sure I'll fair just fine on water if you don't mind."

"Not possible, Rarity," Sir Topham Hatt instructed. "Water can't produce steam unless you have coal burning in your firebox."

Rarity scoffed. "But, it's all so grungy and ashy and impossibly unkempt. How will I ever wash out any powdery residue that clings to my tender?"

"For Pete sake, Rarity!" Applejack reprimanded. "You can deal with yer cleanliness after we're done saving the world. Now get yer tender bunkered with coal already."

"Hmp," She snooted. "Fine. But I won't like it."

Rarity begrudgingly pulled under the coal hopper and winced when the load of coal cascaded into her tender. Fluttershy reluctantly went in next. After she was finished, there weren't any coal left in the hopper. The Girls worried if Pinkie Pie can mange fine until she eagerly and nonchalantly assured them of such.

Now that they were restocked on coal, the next step was finding a water tower. Sir Topham Hatt took them to the nearest one not far from the hopper. Rainbow Dash was shunted next to the tower while Sir Topham Hatt got out again and climbed a ladder to make sure there was water left. There was, but just barely. He then climbed back down only to find that the spigot arm, covered in a purple magical aura, was now moving on its own. Twilight used her telekinesis to line the tube up just right, then used her magic to pull the chain and disperse water into Rainbow Dash's tender.

"Amazing!" Sir Topham Hatt praised. "Seeing your moving magic in action truly is a sight to behold."

"It's actually called telekinesis," She said. "But yes, my Geode Crystal allows me to move all sorts of things!"

"Now that is really useful in deed."

"If You Think That's Really Useful," Pinkie Pie said, "Then You Should Definitely See What I Can Do With A Whole Desert Menu!"

"Let's just say you can never have any sweets around Pinkie Pie without being splattered in chocolate or cake batter," Sunset joked.

Sir Topham Hatt rubbed his head. With Rainbow Dash filled with water and coal, she was now free to move on her own again. Twilight uncoupled her from Applejack, and an eager Rainbow Dash let's off steam and pulls out to make way for Applejack to pull in next to the tower.

"And you all have your own special gifts too, correct?" Sir Topham Hatt asked.

"Sure do! Rainbow Dash can move faster than any normal speedin' train," Applejack said before switching to a stern tone, "Not to say it's the reason how she ran low on fuel in the first place."

"Y-Yeah," Rainbow Dash chuckled, though with a tint of self-depreciation. "But It won't happen again."

"Remarkable!" Sir Topham Hatt then turned to Spike, "And how about you?"

"Aside from being able to talk?" Spike pondered before speaking. "Uh, how's balancing a treat on my nose sound?"

Everyone laughed then went on to explain their powers to Sir Topham Hatt, either by demonstrating or explaining what their magic geode lanterns can bestow, along with other forms of magic they can conjure as a group.

Just then, a robin and a blue jay flew towards Fluttershy and flapped in front of her, both singing in chirps. Fluttershy and her friends knew who these particular birds were, and were happy to see Mr. & Mrs. Birdie return.

"Mr. & Mrs. Birdie!" Fluttershy gasped. "You're back!"

The two chirped to Fluttershy.

"It's so nice to see you too! Did you find Edward and Henry?"

The Girls waited while Fluttershy communicated with the two birds. Their chirping prompted Fluttershy to beam the more they told her of their findings.

"You did? They did it!"

The Girls cheered with excitement.

"Henry and Edward are both at," She paused to hear them tweet again. "Um, Ulfstead Castle?"

Rarity inhaled deeply with eyes lit up. "There's a castle on this island?!"

"Ah! That's where the Earl's estate is located," Sir Topham Hatt said. "And where two of my faithful steam engines are being kept from the sounds of it."

"Will this Earl mind our intrusion at all, Sir?"

"The Earl and I are good friends, Rarity. I'm sure he won't mind us paying a visit whilst he's away on important business."

"Why would the diesels keep Edward and Henry at a castle?" Twilight Sparkle asked.

"Who cares?!" Rainbow Dash said. "Let's go there and bring them back to Canterlot! Now that I'm refueled, it's time get on some open tracks, and kick some diesel butt!"

"To Alfred's Castle!" Pinkie Pie cried

"Ulfstead," Applejack corrected.

"Potato Tomato."


Ulfstead Castle was once home to King Godred in the olden days before Railway lines were the norm of the Sodor. Now, the castle is part of the estate owned by Sir Robert Norramby, the Earl of Sodor. Ulfstead Castle is also home to The Estate Railway, a dual-gauged tourist railway near the Castle. The estate's rails run through the castle, most of which consist of dual-gauge tracks to support narrow and standard gauge engines. The castle has its own park area, a Dinosaur Park attraction, and its own station. The narrow-gauge lines connect to the Skarloey Railway, while the standard gauge lines connect to the North Western Railway at the end of Ulfstead's Branch Line.

The Girls and Sir Topham Hatt arrived at the Castle, climbing up the steep hill and chuffing past the steel bar gates to the estate. The Girls were already impressed upon entering. It wasn't until the castle itself came into view did everyone gasp with aw and jaws dropped. Rarity stammered and stuttered at the sight of Ulfstead Castle. The rest were just as engrossed. Sunset was impressed, but it was no royal Canterlot Castle back in Equestria. She simply smiled at everyone else's stunned amazement.

"Well would you look at that," Applejack commented.

The Estate Railway's primary junction housed enough tracks to fit the whole gang, as well as to switch over onto different lines. There were also two long platforms for standard gauge engines and one small platform near the estate building. The Girls continued chatting and envying the scenery upon entering the junction.

Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle parked in the middle line near a set of buffers, Pinkie Pie stopped behind Twilight, Applejack parked next to the platform with lamp posts, Rarity and Rainbow Dash parked along the other platform, and Fluttershy with Spike came to a screeching halt on the other side where the smaller platform was.

"Eh, why are we stopping?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Sir Topham Hatt climbed out and made his way towards one of the platforms.

"Since we're here," He explained, "I'm hoping Sir Robert won't mind if I make a few calls on his telephone. I'm hoping I can order us a shipment of fuel and spare parts in case of an accident."

"Great idea, Sir!" Twilight said. "That way we won't have to worry about foraging for more water and coal."

"Only, how are we suppose to get a hold of these if you're no longer this railway's controller?" Sunset asked.

"Trust me, Girls, everything will work out fine as long as they don't suspect anything."

They weren't so sure, but the Girls went along with and trusted Sir Topham Hatt as he reached the platform Fluttershy and Spike were stationed. Just then, they heard a steam whistle from behind the Earl's estate. Millie, a narrow-gauge engine, rolled up and stopped along the platform carrying trucks full of garden waste. She cheerfully greeted Sir Topham Hatt and the new engines, despite being surprised to see this many steamies on the Island.

"Aww!" Rarity said. "Look how tiny this engine is! She's so adorable!"

Millie looked quite annoyed by this.

Sir Topham Hatt asked her if he can use the Castle's telephone line to make a few calls. Millie kindly agreed and allowed him to hop aboard her cab. Sir Topham Hatt instructed the others to wait for his return, promising them he'd check for Henry and Edward. The Girl's reluctantly agreed, not understanding why they couldn't simply go in and search for their friends themselves. Perhaps the inside wasn't big enough to house all seven engines. Millie chuffed towards the Castle's drawbridge with Sir Topham Hatt, leaving the Girls to squander in the Estate Railways junction.

"I thought Edward and Henry were suppose to be here?" Rainbow Dash said, impatient.

"They are," Fluttershy said. "At least, that's what Mr. & Mrs. Birdie told me."

"You did provide specific details so they can spot them easily, right?" Sunset asked.

Fluttershy's face flushed red. She had only asked them to find two engines named Edward and Henry. Nothing more. Fluttershy darted away from her friends with pure embarrassment.

"Fluttershy," Rainbow Dash said, sternly.

"Um… oops."

Some of the Girls groaned in frustration.

"Oh, gosh. I'm so sorry, everyone!" Fluttershy said with extreme remorse. "I just, well, I don't know what I thought."

"So, we came all the way up here for nothin'?!" Applejack said.

"I wouldn't say all for nothing, darling," Rarity said.

"She's right," Sunset said. "We are getting more fuel out of this. Hopefully, anyways."

"Actually," She said, confidently. "I was thinking of indulging myself the opportunity to explore Castle Rareté once Sir Topham returns with the good news."

"Castle Whattah?" Pinkie Pie raised a brow.

"A castle fit for a fashionista. With a few touch ups here and there, this bastion could be Sodor's most luxurious fashion attraction!" She emphasized with a French accent.

"You know somebody else owns this estate, right Rarity?" Twilight reminded.

Rarity sighed, wistfully. "A girl can still fantasize her royal, fashion castle."

Meanwhile, Fluttershy still felt awful for upsetting her friends. The Blue Jay and Robin must've gotten their engines mixed up and mistaken two engines for the ones she asked them to find. Her friends stopped fussing over this confusion and started feeling a bit sorry for Fluttershy. Twilight saw how distressed she looked and tried reaching out to Fluttershy, but was interrupted when Pinkie Pie brought up a point.

"Wait! If Henry And Edward Aren't At The Castle," She said, "Then Who Did Fluttershy's Birds Find Instead?"


The castle's drawbridge remained open after Millie and Sir Topham Hatt entered. Following this, the Girls heard three whistles go off one after another. Puffing out the castle through the drawbridge were two, green great western tank engines, with one pulling a brake van, and one black, Scottish tender engine.

The steam engines were Duck, Oliver, Donald, and Toad the brake van. The three spotted a group of steamies sitting in the open junction and chuffed their way over to meet the new faces. Sunset Shimmer and the others saw them chuffing over too, all baring friendly and polite smiles.

"Who is it, Mr. Oliver?" Toad asked.

"It's a bunch of steam engines, Toad," Oliver said, cheerfully. "And a whole lot of them!"

Duck, Oliver and Toad reached one of the platforms, with Duck parking on the same line as Fluttershy, while Oliver and Toad parked on Rarity and Rainbow Dash's line. Donald made his way across and stopped on Applejack's line. Twilight uncoupled herself from Sunset Shimmer, who proceeded to chuff over and slinked onto another line through a set of points, and stopped between Twilight and Applejack. Now Twilight had a better look at the castle, as well as the three new engines now station in front of them.

"Well, hello!" Duck greeted. "What brings a couple of engines like you to Ulfstead Castle? Has the Earl purchased all you for his Railway Museum too?"

"Uhh, not exactly?" Sunset Shimmer replied.

"What do they look like, Mr. Oliver?" Toad asked. "I can't see anything from back here."

Toad was coupled up to Oliver facing away from everyone.

"They certainly have swanky boiler designs," Oliver described. "Especially that rainbow pattern. That must take forever to apply!"

"I know!" Rainbow Dash boasted. "Pretty awesome, huh?"

"Err, do forgive us, dears," Rarity spoke, "there seems to be a bit of a slight misunderstanding."

"We're not here for the Museum. We're looking for some friends of ours," Twilight Sparkle inquired, off the bat. "Have either of you seen two engines named Edward or Henry? We were hoping they might be at this Castle."

"Edward an' Henry?" Donald raised a brow. "Are they still on Sodor?"

"Nobody but us, Millie, Stephen and Glynn at the moment I'm afraid," Duck said.

Fluttershy looked downcast. Despite her new bird friends not being able to recognize him, she was still hopeful that Henry could still be hiding out at Ulfstead. But it seems the engines Mr. & Mrs. Birdie spotted were just the three that were here.

"Far as we know," He continued, "they were shipped off the island along with the rest of Sodor's steam engines."

"Not all of them. There were a few that escaped before the diesels came," Sunset explained, delicately. "Edward and Henry were captured when Thomas and a bunch of us tried to escape."

"Oh, dear. Well, that's that then. Sorry, ladies, but I can't imagine you'll have any luck reaching them at this point."

"Hey!" Rainbow Dash protested. "We're not gonna give up on them just like that! They're still here somewhere. They just gotta be!"

This didn't sit well with anyone, however. Hearing Henry and Edward aren't likely on Sodor anymore made the Girls feel worse about their chances. Donald appeared especially troubled from over hearing this, and continued eyeing the tracks beneath him in a distraught manner.

"So then you guys must be here for that train museum?" Spike asked.

"That's right," Oliver said. "We're being prepped for the Earl's Railway Museum!"

"We shouldnae be put on display in the first place!" Donald complained. "We should be oot there, workin' an' bein' really useful like we always are!"

"I know, Donald," Duck said. "But the Railway Company doesn't want steam engines working on Sodor anymore. If we're to be put on display, then that's where we have to be."

"But Donald's right," Applejack said. "Ya'll shouldn't be in a museum. You belong out on the tracks."

"Hah! See? The lassie knows what I'm sayin'."

"It is a shame to no longer be working anymore, really," Oliver reflected. "But it beats sitting in the scrap yards again."

"Easy for you tae say," Donald grumbled. "Me brother Douglas wasnae so lucky, was he?! The Earl could only buy one of us, and so they sent Dougie to the scrap yards over on the Mainland."

"Oh, my," Fluttershy said, concerned. "Do you know if he'll be okay?"

"I cannae bare the thought of it. Honestly, ye leave your homeland Scotland to avoid bein' scrapped, only to be flung back in the same muckled mess we weres tryin' to escape from in the first place!"

The Girls were saddened by this news. The Scottish Twins, Donald & Douglas have always stuck together. And even though they sometimes argue, they'd never dream of being separated from one another. That's why the Twins moved to Sodor, so they could avoid being scrapped back on their old Railway. But now, one of them was sent away to sit in a scrap yard, waiting for the inevitable.

"What did ye lassies say your names were, by the way?" Donald asked.

"Oh, right," Twilight went a head first. "I'm Twilight Sparkle."

"Err, Twilight," Oliver glanced over at Duck, giving him the same perplexed look. "Sparkle?"

"And I'm Sunset Shimmer. Nice to meet you!"

"Sunset... Shimmer?" Duck said.

Sunset introduced the rest of her friends, much to Duck, Oliver and Donald's puzzlement over hearing their unusual names.

"You girls sure do have funny names," Duck said.

"They must live much further away from Sodor," Toad said.

"Well, what about you?" Sunset Shimmer asked. "Who are you guys?"

"Well actually, my name's Montague. But my friends like to call me Duck because some say I waddle."

Rainbow Dash scoffed and joked, "And we're the ones with funny names?"

"Wait, you're Duck?" Fluttershy said.

Duck raised a brow. "Uh, that I am?"

The Girls exchanged looks with one another. They knew of Duck from the time Sodor was being torn apart by the magic Gold Dust's corrupted power, which started turning everything into hollow husks by knocking them out and tearing away their being. Duck was one of the many engines to have fallen victim to this, but he didn't seem to remember the ordeal based on his puzzlement.

"Weren't you the one Thomas said turned into a husk before?" Spike said.

"A what?" Duck arched a brow.

"You know," Twilight said. "Dark, looming, slithery shadow that tears away your being inch by inch?"

"Conquered by Gold Dust to render anyone dizzy and unconscious?" Sunset added.

"If you're referring to when I got lost delivering the Flying Kipper that one time," Duck argued, "then I'll have you know that was simply just a manner of temporary displacement."

"But why did Henry find you parked on a siding?" Oliver asked. "And rotting away with your cab roof missing and couplings detached?"

"I told you, I was tuckered out, Oliver! I would've known if I'd blacked out and turned into rust." Duck then eyed the Girls suspiciously, "And in any case, what business does Thomas have for telling you all that for?"

"Do you girls know him well or something?" Oliver chimed.

"Yeah?" Duck inquired. "Didn't I hear one of you say something about Thomas and the others escaping the Island with you? Where to exactly if you beg my pardon?"

Now the Girls wondered if they should tell these engines where they're really from, and why they're on Sodor to begin with. How much would they already know about their world, and the railroad that leads to it? Seeing no way around this conversation, Sunset and Twilight agreed to explain their reasons for being here. They started from when Thomas first came to Canterlot High, why he traveled there, and what followed after when the other engines traveled through the Magic Railroad. Duck, Oliver, Toad, and Donald were boggled to say the least, especially when realizing these girls were high schoolers and a unicorn pony that possessed magic powers through either song or Geode Crystals, which stood as regular lanterns in their place.

Sunset, Twilight and the others weren't prepared for their reaction until the three engines began rebuffing their claims. This only managed to upset and embarrass them.

"I believe in a lot of things," Donald said, "but I'm not sure about a couple of lassies from another world, wieldin' magic powers, and bein' both high schoolers, a wee doggie, an' a unicorn from a land of ponies!"

Duck chimed in. "Not to mention traveling through 'magic' buffers that really haven't been used in ages?"

"You asked," Sunset said.

"But It's True!" Pinkie Pie defended. "Just Ask Thomas, Or Percy, Or Anyone! Okay, Maybe Not Everyone, But Even Thomas Will Tell You It's True!"

"I believe them," Toad said.

"You do?" Fluttershy smiled.

"Sure I do! You girls seem pretty nice. I can't imagine why you'd be making this up."

"You'll have to excuse Toad," Oliver said. "He gets a bit carried away sometimes."

"No, I don't! I really do think what they're saying is true."

"How 'bout you let the brake van believe what he wants!" Applejack defended. "Because what we're sayin' is the honest truth."

"Alright. Prove it then," Duck challenged. "If you girls have magic powers, then demonstrating 'em shouldn't be much of a chore."

"Good idea, Duck!" Oliver said. "Show us whatcha got!"

"Aye," Donald laughed still. "Pull a rabbit out of yer funnels, or make flowers bloom from yer water tanks!"

Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle shared unamused, sidelong glances. Then, after eyeing her geode lantern, Sunset had an idea and insinuated Twilight to give it a shot. Twilight's magic lantern glowed a bright purple as she squinted her eyes in concentration. Suddenly, a wide-eyed Toad found himself covered in a purple, sparkly magical aura.

"Um, Mr. Oliver?"

Then, with a heave and a grind, Toad found himself lifted off the tracks.

"Toad?" Oliver said. "What's going on back there?"

To Duck and Donald's surprise, a screaming Toad was now floating above behind Oliver. Terrified at first, Toad tried to calm down when he started rotating around to face the entire junction. The Girls watched as Twilight used all her might to keep Toad steady so as to not drop him. Toad was now facing everyone, getting a first glimpse of the new visitor's and Twilight's bright, glowing lantern.

"Look, Mr. Oliver! I'm flying! I'm flying!

Oliver was too flabbergasted. "I-I-I can see that, Toad! Can you come down now please?! I'd very much prefer if you were on the tracks again."

"Whee!" Toad giggled.

Gently and carefully, Twilight Sparkle used her magic to lower Toad back down on the tracks, but instead places him on her line and next to Oliver, so that he can properly face and talk to everyone directly. Duck, Oliver, and Donald's jaws hung open. They could not explain at all what they've just seen. Sunset, Twilight, and the others all wore boastful smiles from seeing the three engine's stunned expressions and Toad's ecstatic grin.

"How did ye do that?!" Donald asked.

"With Her Geode Crystal!" Pinkie explained. "Each Of Our Crystals Can Do All Sorts Of Many, Wonderously, Spectaculously, Amazing Things!"

Just then, Sir Topham Hatt returned aboard Millie, who stopped to let him off at the platform before reversing back into the Castle.

"Well, everyone, I have good news and bad news," He began.

"Bad news first!" Fluttershy said, abruptly. "Bad news first!"

"Oh, I think you'll want to hear the good news, Fluttershy," He chuckled, "because I just ordered us a shipment of spare parts, coal, and water!"

The Girls couldn't believe it. They were so pleased they let out small, collective cheers. Duck was a bit surprised. Was Sir Topham Hatt helping these engines?

"If that's the good news," Twilight said, cheerful. "I can't wait to hear how the bad news is suppose to mitigate what we just got."

"Well, that's just it," Sir said, rubbing his back head. "In order to collect our shipment, we'd have to travel over to the Mainland."

"What about the parts?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"That, I'm afraid, won't arrive until the end of this week. It's being delivered by boat, so you'll have to be extra careful running the rails until they arrive."

Twilight's spirits sunk after holding a beaming grin for a few seconds upon realization. With how rough the diesels were becoming, it was a wonder if keeping true to this was gonna be possible. And now they had to leave Sodor to pick up fuel needed to keep going. The other girls felt anxious trying to process it, all except Sunset Shimmer, who didn't look that intimidated or worried over the notion.

"Uh, Sir?" Duck said. "Is everything Sunset Shimmer saying true? Are you really going up against Director Gisborne?"

Applejack groaned. "How many times do we gotta spell it out for yah?! It ain't that hard to understand. Even Thomas caught on quicker than you knuckleheads."

"I'm afraid so, Duck," Sir Topham Hatt confirmed. "Gisborne isn't really running things here. It's some creature from their world called a Siren."

"Ye mean like those flashin' lights things the policemen have on their vehicle?" Donald asked.

"Not quite, Donald," Sir sniggered.

"And she's technically not from our world," Rainbow Dash corrected.

"So, what?" Donald joked, "they from that pony land too or somethin'?"

"Actually," Fluttershy said. "She is."

Duck, Oliver and Donald were a bit surprised. These Girls were seriously committed to their claims. Duck still bared some suspicion while inspecting everyone. He knew their magic was real from seeing it in action, but what do a bunch of high school girls have to offer that can stack against this entire diesel revolution. It was one thing to use magic against a formidable opponent, it was another thing to revolt against an entire company.

"Why did you girls come all this way just to help Thomas and the rest of us steam engines?" Duck asked. "Doesn't seem like it should be of your business if you really are from a different world."

Sunset Shimmer edged forward a bit. "We care about our friends too much to just leave them in any kind of danger, especially one as devastating as this. Thomas is our friend. He's one of my best friends, actually. And I'd risk anything for my friends; all of them. We have the power to save them and your Island, and that's exactly what we plan on doing."

Oliver, Duck and Donald shared a few collective glances, thinking about what Sunset said. They must really know Thomas well enough to care about his and the other's well being.

"And if any of us should get our fuel," She continued, "I'll be the one to do it."

"The coal and water is waiting to be pick up at the Other Railway," Sir Topham Hatt explained. "It'll take a full day's trip to get there and back."

"Oh, Sunset," Fluttershy worried. "I'm not so sure about this. How will we manage things here without you? Or worse, how will you manage without us, being all alone?!"

"She's right!" Twilight said, anxious. "I still haven't learned how to drive yet! I won't be able to do much without you."

"Ye don't know how to drive?" Donald said, surprised. "Are ye engines daft?! Ye cannae parade along the tracks without knowin' proper basics."

"Twilight," Sir Topham Hatt said, sternly, "it's important that you know how to drive if you're to continue adding our friends in these difficult times."

"I know, I know!" She said, stressing out. "I just don't understand why I'm still the only one having trouble! Me! The one who should know everything!"

"You know you can come with, right Twilight?" Sunset suggested. "Maybe you'll have your driving on lock by then."

"If you two are going," Oliver chimed. "Then Toad and I will go with. We were almost sent for scrap on The Other Railway before coming to work on Sodor. I know the line Sunset and Twilight will need to take to fetch those trucks."

"The Other Railway?" Donald then realized something. "That's where they're keepin' Dougie!"

"Hey! Maybe Twilight and Sunset can take you to your brother!" Spike said.

Neither Twilight or Sunset could object or share their two cents before Donald plucked up determination.

"Aye! That's that. A'm goin' too!"

Though Sir Topham Hatt warned Oliver and Donald that the Other Railway is too dangerous, and insisted they stay at the Ulfstead Castle, the two engines had already made up their minds.

"Are you both sure you should be going?" Twilight asked, worriedly.

"I'd get him out myself if it meant no' runnin' the risk of gettin' thrown in as well," Donald said. "But with your floaty magic, we cannae go wrong!"

"And I've had my daring escape from scrap already," Oliver smirked. "The engine who helped me do so should have the favor returned."

"Uh, I guess you can come," Sunset said, reluctantly. "It would help to have someone who knows their way better than we do."

Oliver noticed Duck squinting at the group with an indecisive glance. He had some time to think while the engines planned out their trip. He didn't much approve of it, but there was something about this operation, about these engines and their magic, that made him think otherwise.

"Whatcha thinking, Duck?" Oliver asked.

"You know I've always abide by the Great Western way, Oliver."

"Don't we all," He smirked while rolling his eyes.

"But perhaps, if I'm being honest here," He gazed the gang, "I think these girls might just be our ticket out of this mess after all."

A few of the Girls overheard this and smiled in return. It seemed that Duck was finally coming to his senses.

"Why not come with us then, Duck?" Oliver asked. "You'll know where the coal trucks will be."

"Oh, I'd like to, Oliver. I do. And I wish you new engines all the best. But going off when we're suppose to stay put is not the-" Duck was cut off.

"Ugh, forget that!" Oliver argued. "We need to save our Railway. And getting them their fuel will do us wonders."

"And I'm no' gonna sit around doin' nothin' while Dougie's out there scared and alone," Donald imputed.

Duck sighed then spoke after a long, reflective pause.

"Oh... Alright."

"Hooray!" Toad called. "We're going off on an adventure!"

The Girls all cheered in agreement. But Duck still looked visibly conflicted.

Even though he fully supported their cause, Duck didn't like breaking the rules. Sir Topham Hatt isn't in charge of the Railway anymore. So, he isn't technically allowed to take orders from him or participate in whatever the other engines were doing. But even Oliver and Donald were willing to lend their aid if it meant returning to work again, which Duck admittedly wished for as well. So, he went along with a baggage of reluctance hanging over his boiler.

"If I'm to go with you," Duck began. "There's one little piece of advice you girls ought to bare in mind."

Oliver and Donald knew what Duck was about to say, but Girls focused their attention to Duck, not aware what it was just yet.

"There are two ways of doing things; the Great Western way, and the wrong way."

Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle shared glances.

"Oh-kay?" Twilight said. "What's the Great Western way?"

"That one you'll have to figure out for yourselves," Duck smiled. "Just as I once did when I first worked on the Great Western."

"Ooh, Ooh!" Pinkie Pie shifted, excitedly. "Is The Great Western Way To Have Enough Party Cannons In Case The First One Doesn't Put People In A Partying Mood?!"

She appeared next to Donald, giving him a jolt.

"Or How About To 'Always Buy The Proper Cake Decorations Before Making A Ginormous Birthday Cake You Spent Hours Trying To Make Splendiferously Perfect-"

Pinkie appeared on a set of points behind Duck and Oliver. The two were absolutely dumbstruck when hearing Pinkie suddenly pop up from one set of tracks to another without having to travel or make trips on a turntable.

"-Only To Realize You Forgot To Buy All The Frosting AND Toppings Right After It Was Done'," Pinkie laughed. "I Mean, DUH! Cake Toppings Are Kinda Important! Oh!"

Pinkie Pie reappeared behind Twilight Sparkle again.

"Oh, OH, The Great Western Way Is To 'Pack An Emergency Cupcake For Crossing Over Into Other Dimensions.'" Pinkie suddenly progressed into sadness. "Which I'm Now Bummed About For Totally Forgetting To Do Especially Because The Cupcake Percy Gave Me Would've Worked For This Exact Occasion! WHY?! WHY DID I HAVE TO EAT THE WHOLE THING IN ONE BITE?!"

Sir Topham Hatt and the three engines were all flabbergasted.

"Uh, no?" Duck said, speechless.

"Aw. I Was Sure It Was My First Guess."

"Sounds like that's all settled!" Twilight said. "Now all we need is to find somewhere to settle in before Sunset and you three set out."

Sir Topham stroked his chin. "Hmm. I believe I know a place to rest your wheels for the remainder of your stay."

Sunset was confused by what Twilight said. 'Wasn't she coming with me?' She thought. She didn't know what to think as she went back to couple up with Twilight. The Girls, Spike and Sir Topham Hatt all took off and exited Ulfstead Castle by reversing back carefully and cautiously. Duck, Oliver and Donald tooted their whistles, something the Girls realized they haven't figure out yet, before following the gang.

"Just so you know," Duck said, "everything we're about to do; chuffing into restricted territory, and associating with your like are the wrong ways for Great Western and Caledonian engines to doing things. So, don't be surprised if this trip doesn't follow in our favor."

"Gee, thanks," Sunset Shimmer rolled her eyes.

"If it means gettin' me brother back," Donald said, determined. "I'll pick the wrong way any day."


To Be Continued.