• Published 7th Dec 2018
  • 454 Views, 23 Comments

Season of Longing - PudgyAndPink



Following the life of a pudgy pink earth pony, Delilah May. She comes into contact with many colorful ponies on her journey to open her very own flower shop. Will the purple pegasi stallion play a larger role in her life?

  • ...
0
 23
 454

Oregano Season

Delilah didn’t get much sleep that night. Her head tossed and turned with questions. What did Mint mean by it was a good thing she told her now? Mint was dating Star Dust so her liking Oregano didn’t quite add up. She seemed genuinely happy with the buff pegasus. The pale pink pony stared at the old worn roof of her bedroom.

She still had a ways to go before she could remodel the place. Most of her paycheck went to Crisp Apple’s rent and security deposit. She rolled her head looking at the calendar on the wall beside her bed. Fall was already here. Seemed like yesterday it was summer and she was drinking tea with Sweet Gold. She sighed wondering how she was going to insulate this place before winter set in. She also wondered if Gold was still miffed at her for ogling her husband.

Delilah shook her head thinking back to her father. Maybe...Maybe it was about time to ask for help? The stubborn earth pony in her wanted to say no. But it was still an option...one she felt she might have to face when she bucked up. With a soft, depressed sigh, Delilah rolled over trying to ignore the impending frigid future. Maybe a shower would make her feel better. She might figure out what Mint was talking about too.

The pudgy mare rolled her tired body out of the warm covers to the worn creaking floor. It protested as she continued to stumble over to the bathroom.

When she turned on the light, she was greeted by the only thing in the house that was new. A tall rainfall themed shower tucked in the right corner of where the tub used to be. A strong textured glass stood a little more than half the walls. Masking anything inside about to her chest if she stood on her hind legs. The rest of the outward walls were clear and the two inward ones were shades of sea blue. It had a flat shower head with a decorative pipe attached looking like a stream of water.

“Thank you, Mint” she sighed remembering the pony herself who had paid and helped install the new shower. Mint had sort of taken Delilah on as a little sister. The Delilah wasn’t sure if the twins were much older than her.

Vanilla never looked anything other than fabulous and photo-ready.

Delilah blinked as she turned on the water. She had a few minutes before the water heater decided she had enough. But she sort of went through the motions while lingering on Vanilla’s name. What if…

Delilah clasped a hoof over her muzzle. No. Could they? It would explain Mint’s reaction to her confession. But…

Delilah felt her shoulders sag as she came to her conclusion. Vanilla and Oregano must be the explanation. Though she had not seen the two do... couple like things. They had been having lunch meetings a lot recently. Delilah slicked back her wild curly hair.

Of course.

Here she was being a needy mare and he was already a taken stallion. She really should think about a therapist. Pretty sure this isn’t quite normal.

The sudden jolt of ice on her back made the mare squeal. Stumbling wildly to turn off the water. Time was up.

Delilah later checked her kitchen only to find her unhealthy foods were long gone. Guess she forgot to go to the store. She looked down at her pudgy frame with a whine of frustration. How could she ever get thin if all she bought was trash to fill her body? But the stovetop glared at her with it’s broke and slightly rusted knobs. She knew she was out of her league.

After brushing her hair and donning her favorite sun hat, the pale freckled pony set off to the store to get more food. If that is what she could call it. If the new baker’s window was any proof...Delilah could not cook an edible meal to save her life. So she survived off of pre-made meals.

Cupcakes. Cereal. Other sugar and non-healthy foods that keep a little while.

No wonder she gained so much.

The pudgy pink pony groaned to herself and she looked at the flabby round form of her stomach. Poking her soft pliable freckled cheeks as she turned to look at the hallway mirror. She wasn’t an alabaster-white unicorn with salon-perfect hair and a body of a model. It was a cold hard pill to swallow…

Looking back at her cupboards, Delilah turned to her coat rack which held her saddlebag. Money on one side and a scarf to cover her slowly untamable hair. Maybe she should have been concerned when she walked outside and didn’t quite feel the chill in the air. A sign fall was on its way in quickly. She was too busy feeling...just down.

The trip to the store was quiet. Well as quiet as a city day could get. Most ponies seemed to be heading to Season’s Greetings as per usual. It was never empty. Always a big line going around the corner.

Her sides shivered as she seemed to realize it was colder out than normal. Great. Just bucking great. Frustration and disappointment building in her chest as she pushed open the store’s door. The bell jingled loudly startling Delilah back into reality. The cashier seemed to look at her in confusion. She suddenly forgot about how cold it was outside...because her face was now lit up with a thousand fires.

Covering her muzzle with a hoof, she looked away and started to browse the aisles. She spotted a small bakery section next to where they kept the lettuce. One earth pony was spraying the veggies with water to help them keep a bit longer. She turned half in the aisleway looking over some pretty pink cupcakes. Strawberry. She thought she would feel a bit happier finding her favorite flavor. But there was nothing as she picked up the package to inspect it. It took a moment to remember she needed a basket. She pushed air out of her lungs backing up to get said item.

“Oof!” Delilah sucked air so quickly back in her lungs she squeaked. Her rump bumped right into someone browsing the lettuce. Anger, unknown where it came from, bubbled up in her chest as she turned about to speak harshly to the pony she ran into. She was ready to unleash her anger on anyone right now. But her mouth lay half-open, frozen as her eyes came to see who it was she ran into.

Purple coat and blonde mane. His green eyes turned sharply toward her looking just as startled. Or maybe she imagined it. A smile formed on his face too quickly for her to know for sure. Oregano Season. They were close. The aisle made it so she had to look up at the taller stallion. He looked to be slightly taller than Vanilla and Mint. Did he have unicorn in his blood? Her mind wandered with her eyes unfocused on him.

Oh dear Celestia and Luna combined…he’s gorgeous…

Her mind went blank and she felt completely stupid as she stood there admiring every inch of him.

“Uh...Miss?” Oregano’s voice broke her dream, making her blink rapidly and hold her head startled.

“H-Huh?” She felt like an idiot the moment it came out of her mouth. Internally she screamed at herself.

You couldn’t come up with something a bit more intelligent, Doofus?

Oregano looked at her a bit confused but, perhaps passed it off as shock from the whole situation. “I accidentally bumped into you…then you dropped your…uh..strawberry cupcakes? I’m so sorry about that” Delilah couldn’t help but feel heat rush to her cheeks as she let his voice flow over her. Oh dear Celestia help her! Why couldn’t she be normal?

Wait.

She blinked looking at where the cupcakes were supposed to be in her hoof. Horror struck her face as she realized she had indeed dropped them. She turned sharply looking at the pink frosted treats slathered over the ground. Tears pricked the back on her eyes feeling a sudden wave of loss. Her favorite. She pulled her scarf a bit harder over her head so Oregano wouldn’t see her upset. It seemed silly...but she was actually looking forward to cupcakes.

“U-Uh yes…Th-That’s okay I’m kind of a big target anyway”

Oh my Celestia, did you just call yourself fat in front of him?

You are such an idiot!

Delilah swallowed thickly her voice wavering as she apologized to the worker who trotted over. She felt like she just wanted to disappear.

“Oh no trouble, Miss” the old Earth Pony replied putting a sign over her mess “Let’s get you some new cupcakes” A little smile appeared as her muzzle stuck back out of her scarf. She turned, opening her mouth to say goodbye to Oregano only to stop again. Oregano seemed to be looking at her in thought. As if he noticed something and was trying to figure out how he felt about it.

“S-Sir?” she asked not sure if it was right to call him by his name. After all he never really introduced himself to her. Every time he may have, she fainted. The stallion came out of his thoughts turning his expression back into a smile.

“Oh sorry, You just have a pretty smile” Delilah felt her face heat up again and this time she was getting dizzy. She covered her muzzle shyly once more. She took a step forward to follow the worker, hoping for new cupcakes.

“Wait” Oregano stopped her with a mere words and she turned her head toward him “I’m Oregano, Oregano Season...The owner of Season’s Greetings” Delilah tipped her head still holding her scarf over her muzzle.

“Delilah, Delilah May” she shyly nodded a goodbye turning and about to follow the worker.

“You realize you can make those for cheaper than what they charge you” she blinked looking back at the stallion. She felt her face get warm again. This time of embarrassment.

“I...I can’t cook...Baking or otherwise”

“Oh really? You work at a bakery and cafe yet you can’t cook?” She felt her body jerk as she met his gaze. So he did remember her. She felt her face get worse...like she was rubbing it against the sun. She looked away trying to figure out what to say in return.

“Well, it has been busy at my restaurant...But I could offer lessons” She almost choked on air looking up at his green eyes in alarm. Did she hear him right? She blinked her ears going back and showing her confusion and unease.

“Oh uh...I wouldn’t want to be any trouble...you hardly know me” she replied nervously

“It’s no trouble! It’s not healthy to just eat store made food” he smiled genuinely at her and she thought her heart was about to die. She hesitated not knowing how to take this.

“...Um well...sure I suppose it couldn’t hurt” Flat out lie...she was going to burn her house down.

“Wonderful! I think I have some time open Friday afternoon…”

“Oh...Okay,” she was internally freaking out. She could see her house in smoldering ruin. She hadn’t even fixed much of the house up due to the down payment! She didn’t even know if she could get everything ready by Friday...wasn’t that...the day after tomorrow? Delilah swallowed as she recited her address to the stallion who wrote it down on his list.

“I will see you then” he replied smiling before he turned and exited the aisle. Leaving a poor frazzled and confused Delilah behind….

Author's Note:

Bit of a longer chapter Enjoy!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment