• Published 7th Dec 2018
  • 454 Views, 23 Comments

Season of Longing - PudgyAndPink



Following the life of a pudgy pink earth pony, Delilah May. She comes into contact with many colorful ponies on her journey to open her very own flower shop. Will the purple pegasi stallion play a larger role in her life?

  • ...
0
 23
 454

Mint Chocolate

Delilah came into the shop the next morning. The smell of smoke and burnt objects was still in the air. But the fire-ponies had saved the kitchen. The oven, unfortunately, was beyond hope. Delilah still felt bad about what had happened. She should have told Vanilla she was a wreck in the kitchen. Vanilla, by the Sisters, had given her one more chance due to the fact her sister seemed to be missing more often. Vanilla needed help around the shop and Delilah happened to be an extra pair of hooves. Though the new rule was Delilah was to not set hoof in the kitchen for any reason.

“For the LAST time Vanilla….I left you a NOTE on your bedroom door that I was taking the day off and that the spare pastries would be delivered TODAY” Delilah blinked as she heard a strange almost monotone voice. Delilah closed the door looking toward the counter to see a tall beautiful chocolate colored unicorn mare. She had a mint colored mane cut short with two curled bangs that rested on either side of her horn. Purple eyes, donning a purplish pink eyeshadow, looked at her sister in mild frustration. Her lip curled in a manner that made Delilah think she was upset but, very subtle. Across from her was the white unicorn who had hired her the day before, Vanilla Frappe.

“I didn’t see a note, Mint” the chocolate maned one huffed turning up her nose at her sister.

“It was a hot pink note...you love hot pink I thought you would notice” despite the monotone, an underlying hint of exasperation showed through her tone. “I even pinned it right to your personal reflection room door so that when you went to brood-...”

Her sentence was cut off when the white hoof of her sister quickly shoved itself against her muzzle. “You said you wouldn’t say anything about that room!” Vanilla hissed.

Delilah coughed rousing the chocolate mare’s attention. Her violet eyes turned to rest on her as a subtle smile filled her otherwise placid expression as she removed her sister’s hoof from her muzzle. Delilah didn’t know if it was her being excited to see her or the relief of her interrupting. Though Delilah had a hard time knowing if the smile was her imagination.

“You must be Delilah,” the mare said making Vanilla turn her head to see the pudgy pink pony “I hear you had quite the first day...wish I was here to see it...With Vanilla nothing interesting happens here” The white mare cast her sister a pouting glare which was gracefully ignored.

“I will be training you on coffee today and setting you up with the table numbers so you can be our waitress” the mare spoke with an even and cool tone as she motioned for Delilah to follow her “Vanilla remember you have an appointment at two”

Vanilla scoffed at her sister muttering something about how she would remember before leaving Delilah in the hooves of the chocolate unicorn. Delilah followed behind the second pretty mare. These two unicorns were probably of a higher breed. They had the classic Canterlot body. Tall with shapely legs and a well-shaped face. She followed the mare to a back room where she was instructed on washing her hooves and given a spare apron.

“I’m Mint Chocolate, by the way, but you can just call me Mint” she added after her spiel on safety “Vanilla is my twin sister, I do hope she has been treating you well. She gets a bit cranky under stress” Delilah let her ears fall back nervously as her eyes darted a bit.

“Considering what happened yesterday...She has been far too kind to me” the pink pony murmured rubbing a hoof over the other in shame.

“Oh yes, I heard all about it this morning” the unicorn replied her horn lighting up as she tied the apron strings for the earth pony “It was quite the excitement...But don’t worry about it Vanilla knows her way around hiccups like this...have you seen her try to knit? She is awful” Delilah was perplexed by the way the chocolate mare just ignored the gravity of what she had done. Just passively regarded it and moved on.

“Alright...I’ll start you on an easy one…”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delilah was getting the hang of operating the coffee machine thing. At first, the felt like she was even burning the coffee but, Mint was a saint and helped her along the way. She was happily cleaning a mug so they could reuse it for a table when she heard the bell over the door jingle. It was slow and getting to the end of the shift for her. She was surprised anyone came in. The pudgy pink pony peaked out to see the new customer and her whole body just froze in place.

It was like she had died and gone to heaven. She checked just in case with a subtle hoof to her chest to see if her heart was still beating… and beat it certainly did. It was trying to burst a hole through her chest. The stallion that walked in looked like he had been carved out of some sort of purple marble, his features were perfect in every way that she looked at them. Her head was spinning and she had to fan her burning face. He even had a mane of gold that was shaped to look like the decorative flair on the helmets of the Royal Guards. It almost seemed like they were trying to copy his short-cropped mohawk. Her eyes lingered a long time on one particular aspect of their newest customer just as he passed them…

Even folded up his wings looked like they were huge! Something prodded her side but, Delilah’s focus was entirely on his body until she looked up just enough to see that he had his gaze partially on her even as he spoke with Vanilla. The blood that rushed to her face made her feel like it was on fire while she watched the pair walk over to a table. Something strange happened when he reached one of his massive wings out to grab the chair he was about to sit in… she could’ve sworn she had seen him smirk as she blacked out.

“Delilah… Delilah!” Mint called to her in a concerned monotone as she stood taller than her. It took only a few moments to realize she was laying on the floor though. “Delilah, can you hear me?”

Delilah nodded a little as she slowly stood up and tried regaining her bearings. “Y-yeah… I think I’m fine…”

“Good… I was a little worried.” Mint said with her subtle smile. “I thought we had a goat walk in because I heard a bleat… but when I looked around to find them I saw you on the floor. Did you slip?” Delilah May felt her soul die a little on the inside. The mare rubbed her burning cheek with a hoof as she tried to figure out what to say.

“Y-Yeah...Totally my fault I should have been more careful” she lied smiling sheepishly. Delilah chewed her lips nervously hoping her lie was bought. By the subtle smile on Mint’s face, she was assured it was. Or maybe Mint was just good at pretending? She didn’t know.

“Well go get a mop and bucket then we need to make sure the floor is clean” Delilah nodded turning on her hooves and heading toward the supply closet. As she did so she found herself looking for the regal outline of the pegasus stallion. But sadly he was nowhere to be seen. Her heart sunk and she wondered why she was getting her hopes up anyway. A stallion as perfect as that had to be taken already. Plus she…

Delilah shook her head before it tried to trot down that dark memory. She got the mop and slowly made her way back to Mint.

“Mint?”

“Yes?”

“Who was that stallion before...the Purple one with the….large wings?” Delilah blushed describing this stallion. The memory of his wings alone threatened to make her pass out again.

“Oh that was Oregano, Oregano Season” the chocolate mare replied with a soft subtle smile “He is the owner of the restaurant Season’s Greetings...He has been trying to convince Vanilla to partner with him for about a week or so now”

Her gaze directed itself towards the window as her mind wandered to places that made her glad she wasn’t a pegasus. It had to be a nightmare for them to hide whenever they had the thoughts she did. Then again, they often would flare their wings whether in surprise or excitement… maybe it was easier for them to disguise it.

She was shaken from her reverie as the bell for the door clinked and took her attention back to the real world. A laugh was strangled as it tried to escape from her throat. Their newest customer was a pegasus, though the proportions of his body seemed almost comical. He had the physique of a bodybuilder, though not to the extreme that he was nothing but muscle since she still saw a few soft curves. Against his side were a pair of normal-sized wings though, which when compared to the rest of his body seemed almost puny and too small to lift him off the ground. To complete the package was the almost dopey grin on his face as he trotted up to Mint.

“Hey, Babe! I just got us tickets to tonight’s show! Even got a bonus ticket to bring your sis along if she finally wants to get out of this place!” His excitement was palpable as he almost started bouncing in place.

Mint’s frown was just as subtle as her smiles. “Sorry, hun… Vanilla has already retired to her Reflection Room...”

The marble-colored stallion let out a small sigh. “Oh… that’s too bad.” his dejected tone was enough to make his blue mane seem just a little sadder than it really should have been. It took a moment but he actually noticed Delilah as he brought his gaze back up. “Oh… Mint, who’s she?”

The chocolate-colored mare’s gaze seemed to imperceptibly light up as her smile returned. “Hey, Delilah… want to see a Junk concert?”

Author's Note:

Big thanks to Zephyr from helping me get this done at like midnight