• Published 7th Dec 2018
  • 454 Views, 23 Comments

Season of Longing - PudgyAndPink



Following the life of a pudgy pink earth pony, Delilah May. She comes into contact with many colorful ponies on her journey to open her very own flower shop. Will the purple pegasi stallion play a larger role in her life?

  • ...
0
 23
 454

Tour of the Town

Delilah gazed excitedly out at the town that was now her home. She sat in the same carriage across from Sweet Gold. The lithe muted green mare was happily chatting about all the spots that were hot in the town. She advised Delilah to be on the lookout for a job as her husband would want payments as soon as possible. They were kind but, Crisp Apple was a business pony. You can’t run a business like his on kindness alone. Delilah tried to pay attention but her mind was wandering. It floated over the smooth stone buildings and under the colorful awnings. The flashy signs of stores and the bustle of the whole town. Occasionally she found herself staring at a Pegasus stallion too long. But she would be brought back by Sweet Gold who would remind her to pay attention to her.

The pink and blue driver dropped them off on a rather busy street. Gold sweetly told the driver to deliver Delilah’s things to the building. They were going on a little walk. Delilah watched as the stallion nodded to his boss and trotted onward with the carriage. Gold smiled at her with that warm smile that made Delilah feel guilty. She did just feel up Gold’s husband with her eyes just a few hours ago. Delilah blinked as a hoof touched her shoulder. Gold was motioning for them to start walking and Delilah smiled. They started at a slow drawing pace. Different from the busy ponies around her. They were pushing and shoving their way along as if they all had some place to be. Delilah liked this feeling. The energy of a place like this. A place where she could be motivated to fulfill her dreams. The pink pony turned her head to Gold who motioned ahead of them.

“There is a fabulous restaurant between here and your house” Sweet Gold told her as they wiggled past a long line of ponies “It only recently cropped up but, EVERYPONY in town has been nuts over it” They walked by the seeming never ending line of ponies to a grand looking restaurant front. The facade was simple and elegant at the same time, it looked like a cross between an office building and a cathedral. Tall glass windows allowed passersby to look in at the nearly-full restaurant dining area, though they were tinted to keep too much sun from getting in, and the main door looked as grand as one would see on a mansion. Warm browns, blacks and grey colors were blended throughout the wall and floor paint to give everything an inviting, natural look. Above the magnificent doors was a large sign with the name, “Season’s Greetings”.

“We should go there sometime.” Sweet Gold chuckled with a smile as she saw the stunned look on Delilah’s face. “Not right now though, we’re on a bit of a path and Crisp loves to be on-schedule for everything…” She trailed off a little, smirking a bit as she leaned closer and whispered in her friend’s ear. “...and I mean everything…” A long chuckle escaped the older mare as she walked away from a very red-faced Delilah. The pudgy, pink pony knew that if she had wings they would be stiff as boards if the heat on her face was anything to go by. Stiffly, Delilah followed after the older mare. Her ears tipped back as she caught up wondering if Sweet Gold had noted her looks at Crisp Apple. But it seemed they were onto the next destination.

Gold had really picked up the pace. Delilah stressed a bit trying to keep up with the more fit Earth pony. She really needed to get back to her runs. That was the only way she was able to keep a stable weight. AS if reading her mind, Sweet Gold turned and ushered her across the street. After exiting the crosswalk, Delilah was face to face with the gates of a park. Soft gentle hills were cut through by a softly looping pathway. Dotted with gravel and dirt, Sweet Gold led her right into the park.

“This is Blue Horseshoe Park” the muted green mare continued leading the way through the lush grasses and the occasional oak tree “This is a great place to feel close to nature here...Being a farmer’s daughter, I love coming here” Delilah smiled looking around at the fillies playing tag and the sight of picnics dotting the sides of the path. Occasionally, a pony would greet them. One asked Gold how she was which led to an entire conversation Delilah couldn’t keep up with.

After that whirlwind of a tour, Delilah found herself crossing the street again with Sweet Gold. The tall buildings giving way to smaller, quainter shops. Delilah looked through each of the windows as they passed. There was so many shops here. She wondered if they all lived at their shops too. It made the most sense.

A square shape caught her eye as they started to pass a wood and stone shop. The smell of sweets and coffee with heavy in the air. She blinked seeing the shape was a help wanted sign. Her blue eyes tipped up to read the wood sign above the door. Vanilla and Mint’s Coffee Lounge. Furrowing her brows she looked back down at the mahogany and glass door. SHe saw there were ponies talking to a pretty white unicorn mare. There was another chocolate unicorn mare that was serving pastries to another pony.

“This place here has the best coffee in town, wakes me right up after a rough night… or when I have to stay up all night running the business.” Sweet Gold said with a smirk as the two of them stopped a few paces away from the shop. “You should really try it if you’ve gotta get a strong pick me up, my driver actually says he comes here every da-...Oh! There he is!” She cut herself off, quickly waving to the blue and pink stallion that was leaving the shop with a dejected look. Gold waved to him yet, eh barely seemed to notice. Though when he did it was noted. He then gave a nod to his boss and left in the other direction. Delilah watched him for a moment wondering what his look was before.

“Delilah, Dear” Sweet Gold jarred her from her thoughts “There’s a cute little shop up ahead” Delilah glanced at the sign before trotting to keep up with Sweet Gold. Once she did catch up, Gold was looking in the window of a...shower shop? Delilah blinked as she peered in with Sweet Gold to see various versions of showers in display. Quirking a brow, Delilah looked up at the name of the shop.

April Showers.

Huh. That was an amusing concept. But Delilah look at Sweet Gold who smiled innocently. What was she trying to tell her? The pink pony watched her friend giggle a little before she motioned for Delilah to turn around. So Delilah did. She looked across the street to see a worn down store front. It looked like nopony had set hoof in it for years. Delilah was confused turning to look at her friend.

“There it is Delilah” Gold replied to her questioning gaze “That’s your shop!”

Delilah’s eyes shrunk to pin prick. Her...shop? She hadn’t expected perfection...but this place was-.

Delilah was then dragged across the street again by Sweet Gold. Ushered inside through the creaky and rusted door. Delilah blinked owlishly as she now looked around the place. Broke floor panels, cobwebs and boarded windows. Delilah felt her eye twitch at every imperfection. She looked to Sweet Gold who was smiling excitedly. Delilah felt she couldn’t disappoint her new friend.

“I...It’s nice?” the pudgy pony asked herself more than Gold.

“Isn’t it?” Sweet chimed “It’s just like what you told me! I am having my driver pick up a bed for you so you can sleep upstairs. He’ll help you lift it. But sadly I have to go now...Crisp will need to spend quality time with me” Delilah blushed a bit as her friend turned around but, her heart stopped when Sweet Gold did. The mare turned a sickly sweet smile on her face.

“And remember, Sugarcube~” she said sweetly “He’s mine”

Author's Note:

Bit of a rushed job here sorry!