• Published 1st Nov 2018
  • 13,881 Views, 3,699 Comments

The Haunting - Admiral Biscuit



My new house in Equestria came with more than I'd bargained for.

  • ...
30
 3,699
 13,881

Chapter 33

The Haunting
Admiral Biscuit

“Where are you going?”

“Work.” I didn’t want to get up; the house cooled down overnight and Milfoil didn’t. Still, a hot shower helped, and as long as I got dried off and dressed quickly it wasn’t too bad.

“You don’t have to work today.”

“I don’t?” My mind was fuzzy; I still hadn’t gotten entirely used to our new sleep arrangement. And then I remembered. “It’s the weekend.”

“Yup.”

“So I can be lazy all day.”

“No.” She grabbed the covers with her mouth and pulled them back up over me. “But you can be lazy for a while longer.”

“I’ll take what I can get,” I said. Then, since I was already awake, “That set of cups you have, do you think she’d recognize them?”

“I’d be surprised if she didn’t. She recognized her blanket, didn’t she?”

“Yeah, but that’s not the same thing. I don’t think it’s the same thing. Maybe we should bring them over, and . . . well, I don’t know, set them where she can find them, or maybe have another tea party with all the cups.”

“Hmm.” Milfoll had tucked her head just above my shoulder, and was tickling my neck. I didn’t want her to move, though. “I could do that, if you don’t mind if I borrow some of your teacups even though they’re a mismatched set.”

“Bachelors don’t worry about matched tea sets,” I told her. “You can drink coffee out of whatever, that’s a rule.”

“Bachelors, huh?”

“Well, I mean until recently. I haven’t had time to shop for a new set of teacups.”

“And lace curtains.”

“What?”

“For the windows.”

“I don’t need lace curtains for the windows. I don’t need any curtains for the windows except in the bathroom in case a pegasus happens to be flying by. You don’t think I need lace curtains for my windows, do you?” I’d been in her house plenty of times, and she didn’t have lace curtains on her windows.

“The fancy kind, that have a top curtain that’s always over a window and matches the wallpaper.”

“You don’t have them on your windows,” I pointed out. “Not lace, anyway.”

“’Cause I’m an uncaught mare, and I don’t need curtains.”

“You . . .” I leaned over and bopped her lightly on the nose. “Really, though, I don’t need lace curtains, do I? Because I will buy them. There’s this old pony at the market—”

“Chantilly.”

“—yeah, and she totally checks me out every time I walk by.”

Milfoil rolled her eyes. “Don’t be too full of yourself.”

“I promise, I’m not. I will buy you a matching tea set, though.”

“Your cups are just fine. I’m not some snobby Canterlot elite, you know.”

“I know.” I rubbed the sweet spot just behind her ear. “Well, I mean, I don’t know for sure because I’ve never met a snobby Canterlot elite, but there were some ponies in Manehattan that were really stuck-up. Ponies out here are more down-to-earth.”

“It’s ‘cause most of us have our noses in the ground half the time.” She grinned and rubbed her muzzle across my face. “Do you want to make a snowpony with me?”

“Have we come to the sleeping in but not too much part of the morning?”

Milfoil thought about that for a moment. “Not yet—let’s sleep in a bit more.”

•••••

It was unfair that she made an objectively better snowpony. She had a few advantages, I thought: it was daylight, for one; secondly, the pegasi were dropping fresh snow; and finally, she probably had more practice making snowponies than I ever had making snowmen. And I could have done a better job if I’d really tried hard. I could have spent more time shaping the rolls that made up his body and head, and I could have searched around and found some more arm-like sticks.

Even if I had, it still wouldn’t have looked as good as her snowpony.

She’d taken the snowboots off her front hooves to more easily shape it, and she’d also sat in the snow more than once as she worked on her sculpture. I felt cold every time I saw her sit on her bare rump in the snow.

“It only needs one more thing,” she said. “That’s a tail.”

“A branch?”

“Brooms are traditional,” she said. “Can I use yours?”

“If you don’t complain about dirt on the floor.”

“Have I ever?”

“Not yet,” I admitted. “It’s in the kitchen.”

“I know, I saw it on my way to the yard.” It only took her a minute to grab it, and she lined it up and then shoved it into the snowpony’s rump until only the bristles were sticking out. “There we go. Now it’s got a spine, too.”

“Are all pony spines wooden?”

“Probably—I’ve never seen one.” Milfoil stepped back and studied her creation. “I haven’t made a snowpony in a few years. Putting the broom in is sometimes tricky—when I was a foal, I couldn’t always push it hard enough to get it all the way in. Some ponies like to put the broom in early, ‘cause it helps hold the barrel in place.”

“I admit that it’s better than mine. I don’t want you to think that I won’t admit it.”

“I knew you would. I’m pretty decent with my hooves.”

“I think with lots of practice,” I said, “it would be easy. I always thought of hooves as a disadvantage, but you guys make it work.”

“I don’t think I’d know what to do if I had fingers. You make it look easy every time you move your hand.”

“Like this?” I reached down and brushed her forelock back. “I suppose when we’re babies we don’t know and figure it out, but I can’t remember that far back. I remember being clumsy holding a pencil in kindergarten, though.”

“I can remember when my teacher was trying to tell me how to hold a quill and write letters with it, and I thought I’d never figure it out. I wasn’t very good at it, and my mom made me practice and practice until I could make letters right.”

•••••

I brushed all the snow off her before we went back inside to warm up and eat a snack, then she put on her front boots and we went into town so I could make good on my promise to buy more teacups, even though she said it wasn’t really necessary.

“Does it bother you that you cook most of our meals?” I asked. I’d meant to ask her that before. “Or that you’re doing the shopping for food?”

“Not really. You’re still bad at cooking.”

I nodded—that was true.

“And you don’t know all that much about vegetables and fruits and pasture grasses, and it makes sense for a pony who’s good at something to do it instead of a pony—a person—who’s not. You don’t have to feel bad, a lot of stallions are bad at cooking. And pegasi, most of them are, too.”

“I just really never had to learn.”

“A lot of chefs at famous restaurants are stallions, though. So it’s not like it’s just a stallion thing.”

•••••

We were in one of the second-hand shops. I’d visited it once and then decided not to come back because it was too cluttered and I couldn’t find what I was looking for.

Milfoil liked it, though, and if she was happy roaming around the crowded store, so was I.

“What do you think about this?”

I looked at the object she was pointing out. It was a strange contraption of thick wires with some sort of a hoof-friendly handle on it. “What is it?”

“A potato masher. And you can mash all sorts of other stuff with it, too: turnips and rutabagas and I think I’ll buy it.”

“Don’t you already have one?” I vaguely recalled seeing her use something like that before.

“It isn’t as nice. Do you have a potato masher?”

“I don’t.”

“Well, I’ll give you mine and I’ll use this one and we can both mash potatoes.” She grabbed it in her mouth and put it in her saddlebags. If somebody had done that on Earth, loss prevention would be following them around, making sure that they emptied everything out of their bags before they left.

I assumed that ponies were more trusting than that, but maybe they put spells on things instead. Maybe if you tried to walk out of a store without paying for something, you’d set off a magical trap.

“You really ought to have a toaster, too,” she said. “I like toast in the morning.”

“Find one and I’ll buy it.” I’d never found anything that looked like an Earth toaster, and I was too much of a guy to ask what a pony toaster looked like. It was easier to just live without, or cook it on the stovetop which worked decently well as long as I remembered to flip it before it burned.

•••••

“I sometimes wonder how humans know what they’re good at. Without having a cutie mark.”

“We just muddle along, I guess. Sometimes—some people know right away what they want to do, and learn that, but sometimes people don’t figure it out until they’re in college or maybe even after. Have a bunch of jobs and then finally find the one that’s right for them.”

“And how would you even know if another human was good at something if you didn’t know them first? It’s usually pretty obvious when you look at a pony.”

“Is it?”

“Well, if they’ve got the right cutie mark.”

“How do you know what the right cutie mark is? You’ve got a flower—half the ponies in this town have a flower or a fruit or an ear of corn or a stalk of wheat.” A lot of them had blended together in my mind. At first I’d paid attention to them and tried to figure them out, but now they didn’t tend to stand out unless they were something really strange. There was a younger stallion I saw sometimes that had what looked like a paper bag as his cutie mark. Did that mean that he was destined to be a bagger at a grocery store?

“Well, you just do. When I’m at market, and I go to a stand—”

“You expect to see the food in question, I know, but what if I’m at the carrot booth and there’s a colt with a wheel for a cutie mark selling carrots.”

“That’s Oxheart’s son. He’s gonna apprentice to a wheelwright starting in the spring.”

“But if you didn’t know him, would you buy carrots from a pony who had a wheel for a cutie mark?”

To her credit, she thought about that for a little bit before shaking her head.

“And you’re good at other stuff besides flowers,” I said. “You make really good pies.”

“You’re just saying that. They’re not as good as Razzleberry’s.”

“No, it’s true. Have you ever considered that a cutie mark might hold you back? Make you do something that you don’t want to do?”

“A pony can’t get a cutie mark in something she doesn’t want to do. That’s just how it is. You can try lots of stuff, and some ponies do, especially ponies who don’t get their cutie marks until late, but you can’t get one in something that you don’t like.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive. If—if you could feel magic, you’d understand.” She stopped walking. “I don’t know how to explain it better. Maybe it’s something that you just can’t understand as a human, and if that’s true, it’s sad. Did you feel anything during the Running of the Leaves?”

“Pain? As I got tired, like I couldn’t get enough oxygen?”

“You didn’t feel the pull from the trees at all? Or the magic radiating from all the ponies?”

“No, not really.” But was that true? Had I felt something? Something more than being freshly in love?

“I don’t want to think that you can’t,” she decided. “Maybe you really haven’t, or maybe you have and just don’t know what it is yet.”