• Published 5th Sep 2018
  • 675 Views, 19 Comments

The Chronicles of Eponia - GallaicusBrony92



When the map started doing strange things, the main 6 decided to investigate the unusual phenomenon, the result: a new trip to a new land.

  • ...
1
 19
 675

11 - Viros Veramos

Author's Note:

Well, this chapter is longer than I thought, also I just wanted to put some songs that inspired me in during this chapter, hope you like it.
And here some historical facts and definitions :twilightsmile::
- Futuo it's a roman expression that means "Fuck!". Romans like to swear a lot.
- Magister Equitum was a political office in Ancient Rome that means literally Master of Horses. During the Monarchy were the leaders of the cavalry, and in the Republic were appointed as lieutenants to the ruling dictator. The title was abolished by Mark Antony after Julius Caesar's death, but was restored during the Late Empire. I thought this was a good name for the leaders of the Legions (in Ancient Rome the Legions were commanded by a Legate).
- Turma was a cavalry squadron in the Roman Army, compossed by 30 horsemen and commanded by a Centurion.
- Caelia was a beer-like drink made by the Celtiberians, there's no much info about it except some writings by Pliny the Elder who compares it with the Gaulish Beer.
- Cercius was the name the Iberians gave to a strong wind that blows from the North or Northwest through the Ebro Valley (called Iber by the Romans). Cato The Elder and Aulus Gellius called it Circius. In modern Spanish is called Cierzo.
- Kynslóð it's an Old Nordic word that means 'descendants', I decided to use it to give a name to the descendants of the Mighty Helms. It sounded appropriate to me.

The field was decorated with fire and blood and the screams of numerous ponies deafened the atmosphere.

Sunset watched in horror the scene before her. On the one hand, she was able to recognize the legionaries with their distinctive armor and helms, carrying spears and huge rectangular red shields.

The Legion battled other ponies whose aesthetics were totally different. They were earth ponies, which many of them had huge mustaches and beards. Their armor consisted of chain mail and bronze and iron helmets. They were also armed with spears and antenna swords.

Suddenly, Sunset saw one of those earth ponies galloping towards her. Frightened, she screamed and tried to create a magic shield with her horn, but it didn't work. Lucky for her, the pony galloping in her direction passed through her as if she was a ghost.

Then she figured it out. She was in a vision that the horn had created for her. He turned in the direction of the galloping pony to see him fighting a legionary pony. Only this one was different, his helmet had a crimson crest and he also wore a short cape of the same color. The legionnaire had between his teeth a double-edged short sword with sharp point. His coat was intense orange, a color Sunset was familiar with.

With a quick movement, the pegasus dodged a thrust from the ground pony and then buried his sword in the side. The pony groaned in pain and collapsed bleeding to death.

Suddenly, Sunset heard a voice coming from nowhere…

The Scobii Pirates were fierce warriors, but as legionaries our training was better. Though our strength wasn’t in us as individual soldiers, but as an army. Together we were like giant living meat grinder.

"Centurio!" Shouted another pegasus approaching.

"Magister Equitum!" The pegasus who now knew he was a centurion replied.

Then she recognized that the disembodied voice was the same as that pegasus’. She presumed that she was in his memories.

"Order a withdrawal of your troops, they overtake us on the right flank." The Magister Equitum said to immediately fly away.

"Telum Fidelis!" A nearby pegasus appeared before the centurion making the characteristic salute of the Legion. "Order withdrawal, they need us on the right flank."

Suddenly, the sound of a horn was heard heading west.

"It’s the king! He's in trouble!” The centurion said. "You have to go help him."

"But centurion, our orders are..."

"Futuo! It's the king we’re talking about! Regroup the centuria and let's go to give him auxilia!” The centurion yelled.

"You are crazy..." Telum said and started to regroup the troops.

Sunset Shimmer followed the legionaries as they flew to where the king was fighting more of those earth ponies. Unlike the legionaries, the king wore a cape of thick black fur, Sunset thought it might be a warg’s hide, and his helmet was bronze made and decorated with two wings.

The centurion landed skewering with his sword a pony threatening the king from behind.

"Your Majesty, watch out!" He yelled, but it was in vain because a pony approaching from the right stabbed the king with his spear.

However, the king did not surrender and killed the pony, only to have an arrow hit him in the left wing. The king collapsed in pain, but the centurion stood before his side to protect him.

"King Pegasutagus has fallen!" The centurion yelled as he tried to drag the king away from the heat of battle.

Telum Fidelis accompanied the centurion, while the rest of the legionaries covered his retreat.

"They hit me pretty good..." Pegasutagus said in pain.

"Your Majesty, we will take you to a safe place and you will recover."

"No, listen to me centurion, ships are approaching, we could see them from the horizon, if Scobii reinforcements arrive, Mareffraw is lost." The king said concerned. "What is your name?"

The centurion removed his helmet, revealing his red and yellow mane. He went to the king and told him his name ...

"Ignis Gladius, Centurion of the V Centuria, IX Cohors, Legio II Bellerophontia."

Sunset's eyes widened after hearing that. The pony in front of him, that imposing pegasus centurion was his father...

"Take this." The king removed a kind of gold choker from his neck and gave it to Ignis Gladius. "Give this torc to my wife, my queen, and tell her... don’t trust all the crows..."

Ignis picked up the torc and took off to see if what the king was saying was true. From the sky he was able to observe with horror that at least 15 ships were approaching the coast. If the Scobii received those reinforcements, both, the legion and Mareffraw, would be done.

"Telum!" Ignis yelled descending. "We need the artillery, take my centurion stamp and gather onagers, ballistae, everything you can get and send it on the way to the beach, those ships must be sunk."

“What about you? What are you going to do?" Asked Telum.

“I will gather all the legionaries and auxiliāriī that I can, we will clear the way for you; We can’t lose this battle."

Telum Fidelis looked worriedly at his boss and companion, took the seal and prepared to leave to carry out the order. "I won’t fail you, my friend, Ad Victoriam!" He said making the legionary salute.

"I know frater, Ad Victoriam! Ignis Gladius replied the greeting of his companion and went with the rest of the soldiers.

Ignis Gladius stood in the front line of battle with the legionaries, all in formation with shields in front and gladius spears and swords at the ready as the Scobii charged at them.

We were the best troops Prydadain army had to offer, but we weren’t the only ones there. At our back several regiments of auxiliāriī unicorn archers, the Sotaroas, fired at will, causing a shower of arrows to fall on the enemy. These unicorns were the best archers in Prydadain, and they prove it well.

"Push, push, push! We must clear the way!” Ignis Gladius yelled.

The ships were drawing closer to shore. The Legion Cohorts could keep the Scobii at bay on land, but they would not endure with the arrival of reinforcements.

Suddenly, a shower of incendiary shells streaked across the sky toward the sea. Ignis Gladius watched Telum Fidelis direct the legion's onagers and ballistae against the Scobii ships. Little by little, the ships caught fire and in approximately 20 minutes, six ships burned and went down.

When finally there were only four of the fifteen reinforcement ships left, they fought in retreat, and the army on the ground fled so as not to perish before the gladius of the legionaries.

The army of Prydadain won the victory...


With a bright flash, Sunset moved to another place, understanding that it was a different vision.

This time she was in a huge hall in what looked like a palace. She could see a pegasus walking from one side to the other, as if she was thinking what she was going to do. She was a young mare with ocean blue coat and reddish-orange mane and tail and an Antenna Sword with overlapping torc as cutie mark.

In front of her were her father, Ignis Gladius, the aforementioned Telum Fidelis and whom she recognized as the magister equitum of the Legion, although she still could not say what that meant.

Epona’s Palace was the most important building in Eponadunum, and now here we were, trying to tell the queen dowager the news of the battle, and how the king died at the hooves of the Scobii.

"We mourn your loss, my queen. King Pegasutagus died fighting with honor, and thanks to his sacrifice Mareffraw did not fall on the hooves of those filthy pirates.” Ignis Gladius said condolences to the queen dowager.

"My queen." The magister equitum interrupted Ignis Gladius. “We all mourn the king's death, but now there is a power vacuum on the throne. The crown prince is still very young.”

"There is no power vacuum." The queen said. "I, Adain Boudica, am the queen of Prydadain; and it will be until my son is ready to rule.”

"With all due respect Your Majesty, you will need the support of the Senate and the Druid Council to do that, otherwise they might consider that you want to plunge the kingdom into tyranny." The magister equitum explained.

"Falx Victrix, I have no intention of becoming a tyrant, I just want to preserve the title that corresponds to my son. My husband is gone, but I won't stay cross-hoofed as long as I keep breathing. Tomorrow I will gather the Senate and the Druid Council and explain the situation, they will surely understand.

The queen sat on the throne in the room and addressed the soldiers present again.

"Centurion, come forward." Ignis Gladius listened to the queen and appeared in front of her. "From what I understand you were a key figure in the victory against the Scobii."

"I only did what I was supposed to do, my lady."

"You don't have to be modest." The queen said. "Falx, I appoint you praetor of the senate, so I relieve you from your command as Magister Equitumm. Ignis Gladius, for your courage and ability I want to grant you the position of Magister Equitum of the II Bellerophontia, while promoting your optio, Telum Fidelis to centurio.” Ignis Gladius's jaw dropped at the queen's statement. "Likewise, since your actions helped save the army, the legionaries have agreed to award you the Corona Obsidionalis as an award."

"What? Whose idea was it?" Ignis Gladius asked.

"It was mine." Telum Fidelis suddenly said. "If it weren't for you, frater, the pirates would have decimated us, you deserve the Graminea as the most."

At the time I did not know what to say to my friend and comrade-in-arms. The Corona Graminea was the highest decoration of the Legion, it was only awarded to those who managed to save an army, and it was the same army that awarded it. Despite what happened, I couldn’t save the king, so I was not sure if I deserved it...

"Telum, Falx, I wish I could speak to Ignis Gladius in private if you don't mind." The queen motioned for Ignis Gladius to escort her to a discreet room where they could talk quietly. She locked the door. "Tell me, did Pegasutagus say anything to you before he died?"

"He just told me to tell you, 'Don't trust all the crows.' " Boudica was thoughtful. "Does it make sense to you, my lady?"

"I'm not sure... Ignis Gladius, I have to ask you for a favor. Turbulent times are coming; Pegasutagus' death will be a severe blow to Prydadain, but we must remain united if we want to survive. There could be detractors everywhere, in the Senate, among the families of optimates and nobiliores pegasi, the chieftains of the clans... so I need someone I can trust. Are you loyal to Prydadain?”


The vision was ahead of another memory. In this case, Sunset was in a large room of a huge building made of clouds. Inside, a bunch of pegasi dressed in elaborate robes were arguing heatedly.

Senate debates almost always ended in argues. I never liked politics, I'm a soldier, not a statespony, participating in senatorial activities seemed like a waste of time to me. Most of those pompous old ponies cared only for their own interests. But the Senate was Prydadain's most important political body. It limited the power of the monarchy and thus prevented any king from becoming a tyrant, therefore, not all senators must be scavenging vultures.

Since the queen asked me to be aware of what was happening there, I have not stopped my political activities, but what was discussed today could be a matter of life or death.

"We have to vote at once, will we go to war against Horntriu or not?" Asked a senator.

"I say no." Said Ignis Gladius. "Relations with Horntriu are tense, but they aren’t an immediate threat to us. Their king is old, their conflict against the Dal Rideta weakens them; But if we attack them, they could unite against us and be a greater threat than ever. A cornered snake is much more dangerous.”

"I agree with Ignis Gladius." Falx Victrix suddenly said. “However, if they are so weak, wouldn't it be a perfect opportunity to get rid of an enemy of our kin?”

"Do you want another Caturix to emerge, Falx?" Ignis Gladius asked.

“I did not expect cowardice from the Hero of Mareffraw. Are you sure you're still a legionary?”

"It is not cowardice, but common sense." Ignis Gladius defended himself.

Falx never really liked me. Our vision of war was very different, I believed in defense and fighting with honor; he believed that to achieve victory, one had to resort to any action, however reprehensible it might be. He was more made for politics than me, the war proposal to Horntriu had gained a lot of popularity due to the increasing hostilities of the northern unicorns against the Scobii, he knew that if I kept rejecting the war my reputation would fall to the ground... he was a very smart son of a bitch.

"I agree with Falx Victrix, the security of our Līmitēs isthreatened, who says that the unicorns or the Scobii won’t come to plunder our lands to obtain resources for their respective causes?" Asked a senator.

"You can always send more legions to defend the Līmitēs, a war is not necessary." Ignis Gladius continued to defend his position, but few were in the Senate who listened to him.

“Gentlecolts, it's time to vote, history has shown us that the best defense is a good attack. In these moments of weakness, Horntriu will perish. Votes in favor!”

The vote was almost unanimous. Prydadain would go to war against Horntriu. Ignis Gladius looked away disappointed as he watched the Senators cheer Falx Victrix’s proposal as he smiled proudly.


The next vision showed war again. The atmosphere was cold and gray, and a soft rain soaked the battlefield. Sunset thought that scene was worse than the one she saw in Mareffraw. Standing before her was a city that the Legion had besieged. The legionnaires' camps were surrounding the wall and they seemed tired, who knew how long they had been there.

Horntriu always seemed to be a land of no importance to me. The rain was much more intense than in Prydadain and the cold and snow in winter were unbearable. Not to mention that its inhabitants were the least hospitable in Eponia, even in peacetime. We had been facing the unicorns for two months and despite being inferior, they still cause us problems. We were now besieging Alt Corn, while pursuing the crown prince's army who took refuge in that city.

"Magister Equitum." Telum Fidelis addressed his superior. "Message from praetor Falx, he demands the city to be taken as quickly as possible."

"What? We’ve been sieging them for only two weeks, they can resist for at least one more month…” Said Ignis Gladius without understanding the message.

"Sorry Ignis, but orders are orders..." Said Telum Fidelis with a sad look.

"That's not how you fight in a war... he is condemning lots of legionaries to death." Said Ignis Gladius more to himself than to his friend. The Magister Equitum sighed and adressed to his friend. "Order the troops to prepare the siege weapons then, we will attack at the break of dawn."

The light of dawn could hardly be noticed due to the clouds and the soft rain. The catapults and ballistae of the Legion threw their incendiary shells at the settlement, trying to set it on fire, but the rain made that task more difficult.

At the same time, a group of pegasi was flying carrying small explosive projectiles to bombard the garrison from the air. They launched their projectiles to the walls, bursting with the impact and throwing several unicorns into the air. They defended themselves with crossbows and their own spells, knocking down several pegasi.

The rest of the legionary cohorts moved slowly toward the ramparts protected by their huge shields as a group of earth ponies pushed a battering ram towards the gates, shielding themselves with metal plates from the bolts of enemy crossbows.

“At my signal!” Ignis Gladius yelled, closing in on the walls. Once the soldiers arrived, the Magister Equitum screamed again. “Now!”

Breaking formation, the Pegasi took flight, reaching the top of the walls and beginning the fight with the garrison.

If there was one thing to be feared in Horntriu's army was in its warriors, fierce, unpredictable, and, contrary to what may seem, well organized. In the distance, their crossbowponies were deadly in long distances, and their Imannae with their javelins could wreak havoc on a cohors. But we had better equipment and better strategies, our Sotaroas unicorns from the West were among the best archers in Eponia and the earth pony tribes of our kingdom provided strong and loyal auxiliary troops. But we were legionaries, the pride of the kingdom, and we had to comply as such.

"Don’t hold back legionaries!" Ignis Gladius shouted, brandishing his sword against enemies.

In the field, the sotaroas fired their rain of arrows into the walls in the hope of reaching as many enemies as possible.

On the ramparts, an equipped unicorn launched itself towards Ignis Gladius, brandishing a huge antenna sword.

Among Horntriu's fiercest warriors were the Kluddargos. They were champion soldiers recruited among the low nobility of the clans and tribes of the kingdom. Armed with powerful swords and outfitted with chain mail and bronze helmets; almost as the Legion's Cataphractarii. Sometimes legionaries were at a disadvantage against enemies like this. Their huge swords were ideal for wielding, providing them with a broad spectrum of attack, but our gladiīs were only useful to us in delivering deadly thrusts, so we relied on our shields and armor to avoid dying in close combat against those huge colts.

The kluddargos charged against Ignis Gladius who defended himself with his shield as he could do little with his sword. The unicorn's mail protected him from the cuts the pegasus was trying to make, but if the winged ponies were known for anything, it was their agility. Thus, doing a feint, Ignis Gladius completely covered himself with his shield, after receiving an attack he released it and after unfolding his wings and jumping, he fell to the left of the kluddargos, burying the gladius in the side of the unicorn spilling his blood.

Sunset watched all that carnage carefully, never imagined that her father could be a soldier, much less such a war-hardened soldier. Equestria's soldiers, although disciplined and well-trained, had not engaged in open warfare for centuries. The most dangerous thing they faced was Changellings, and wild beasts. The ponies of Eponia seem to have war as one more life partner.

After breaking the door with the battering ram, Prydadain's troops charged at the city fighting against the unicorn warriors who didn’t give up. The LegioII Bellerophontia was fighting the city's defenders, when Ignis Gladius, Telum Fidelis, and several legionaries caught up with a group of warriors who were protecting another pony who look like a noble.

It didn't take much to figure out that this unicorn was the Prince of Horntriu, not because of the robes, but because of those who accompanied him: the Rycalawre. They were easily recognizable by their helmets adorned with crests, their decorated oval shields, and their chain mail. The High Kings of Prydadain have at least four groups of warriors under their direct orders: the Huscarls, earth pony warriors descended from the Mighty Helms, their own Rycalawre recruited among unicorns, the Ambakaro Epones recruited from the earth ponies of the tribes of the central plateau, and, of course, the Praetorian Guard formed by the most veteran pegasus legionaries. In Horntriu the king and his family had their Rycalawre to protect them, recruited from the fiercest and veterans among the Blue Horns, and they were not an enemy we should underestimate.

The legionaries charged at the enemy Rycalawre who formed a shield wall to protect the prince. There were only six against ten legionaries plus their centurion and magister equitum, but only in the first charge they managed to finish with three pegasi. Among his swords and spells, Ignis Gladius began to doubt his victory in this combat, but his friend Telum Fidelis managed to kill the unicorn in the middle of the shield wall with his pilum, thus weakening the formation.

At that moment the legionaries managed to separate the Rycalawre from the prince engaging them in bloody combat. Ignis Gladius watched as the unicorn charged at him with his sword. He was a young colt who seemed to have no combat experience.

"You are too young to have fought in any war." The magister equitum told him.

"So, what if I'm young? I won’t give up, for Hortriu and for my father.” Ignis Gladius admired the prince's courage, but his duty was to fight. However, he didn’t want to kill the prince, only capture him and thus force him to surrender.

Unfortunately, the prince's attacks were swift and imprecise, it seemed that he had no attachment to his integrity. Ignis Gladius managed to defend himself from several hits, until he got wounded in the face, marking him on the cheek, to which the legionnaire responded by nailing the gladius in the prince’s chest.

The prince fell to the ground as Ignis Gladius stopped worrying for a moment about the blood gushing from his wound to worrying about the blood that splashed on him and now stained his face.

"Forgive me father... I've failed you." The prince said beginning to choke on his own blood.

"You didn't have to die... you could live." Ignis Gladius said approaching the dying unicorn.

“Defeat is a greater dishonor than death. You should know better than anypony, legionary.” After saying that, the prince approached Ignis Gladius's ear and whispered to him. "Show some honor. Do not harm the innocents..."

After that phrase the prince died. He didn’t know when, but Telum Fidelis and the legionaries killed the Rycalawre. After detecting movement out of the corner of his eye, Ignis Gladius turned his gaze to a house half destroyed by a ballista projectile and could see a filly trembling and crying in the arms of her mother, a young mare who also trembled with fear, but she had a dirk knife within reach in case it was necessary...

Ignis Gladius looked at her with a compassionate and sad face, and only then realized the devastation they had caused...

What are we doing? How did we come to this?


After another flash Sunset was seen again in a different environment: a tavern.

She could see Ignis Gladius dressed in a simple robe and leather armor drinking from a ceramic glass.

The last war brought out the worst in me, but I already knew that war wasn’t a good idea. I killed the crown prince, yes, the old King of Horntriu lacked descendants... but those pompous senators who two years ago they cried out for war, didn’t have the willpower and courage of the unicorns.

The leader of the Blue Horns, a young pony named Tarannos Gorm, marched to the kingdom's capital, Scorn, and called for the monarch's abdication. The old stallion had no choice, Tarannos had the support of the warrior nobility, the Blue Horns, and the druids. He was crowned high king and gave a 180 degree turn to the war.

Thanks to his good relations with the hippogriff tribes of the islands and the deer clans of the mountains, he got allies in the war. The legions were driven south of our borders and launched combined attacks against the Dal Rideta to the point of conquering it, now King Ferbasach MacAlpony is his vassal, although I still don’t understand why he did not kill him directly. I guess that would keep the Scobii at bay...

Now I had retired to my hometown, and all I could do was drink to forget.

"More caelia Viros Veramos?" Asked the innkeeper, an earth pony mare.

"Yes, please. And, Akaina, don't call me that, I don't deserve it." Ignis Gladius said.

Viros Veramos was a term that in my tribe means chief. They started calling me that when I became a centurion, but now I was no longer in the Legion, they didn't have to call me that. Furthermore, after the news that came to me from East Horntriu and the atrocities committed by the XXII Perseia Victrix in Dyn Neighdin...

"You can’t run away from your past Ignis Gladius, once a legionary, always a legionary. And that was a good life to you, you are one of the most loyal and honorable soldiers I’ve ever meet." Innkeeper Akaina said trying to cheer him up.

Akaina retired, but Ignis Gladius soon had company...

"Do you mind if I sit down, legionary?" Asked an older hooded unicorn holding a drinking horn with his magical aura.

Ignis Gladius told him to take a seat.

“It wasn't easy finding you." Said the unicorn.

"Who are you and what do you want from me?" Ignis Gladius asked tensing up.

"I came to offer you something, Ignis Gladius."

"Wow, you know my name... like everypony in this town. If you wanted to impress me, you failed.” Said Ignis Gladius drinking.

"I know more than that. I know you've joined a turma of Legio II Bellerophontia, you were promoted to centurion, and later to magister equitum, the hero of Mareffraw they called you and you got the Corona Graminea in that very same battle. And I also know that the late King Pegasutagus warned you about something before he died…” That last one caught the attention of the former legionary.

“Who in Tartarus are you? Do the frumentarii send you?” He asked starting to get nervous, to which the unicorn just laughed.

"On the contrary, my friend. I represent the interests of a group with a common goal.”

"What goal?"

"Protect Eponia from the evils that threaten it. Listen carefully, there are very serious threats on this land; you are an honorable and loyal soldier, that's why you left the Legion, right?”

“I left the Legion because of being honorable, but precisely for that reason I would not qualify myself as loyal. I failed the oath I made to enlist and also my queen.” Ignis Gladius said covering his face with his hoof and looking away.

“I offer you an opportunity to redeem yourself Ignis. You can stay here getting drunk with caelia and wine and remembering your glorious days. Or regain your honor by fighting to protect all of Eponia. It's up to you."

I didn't know why, but I felt like I could trust that pony...

"And your name is…"

"Derw Doeth."

Sunset was surprised to see the pony who introduced himself as her grandfather. He was younger than the Derw Doeth she met, though not that much.


In the next vision, Ignis Gladius was accompanying Derw Doeth to what looked like a walled fortress. Upon entering Sunset observed different stone huts and thatched roofs that had different functions: a smithy, a tavern, a training ground...

"Welcome to Caer Ogma, the fortress of the Order of the Oak and Apple." Said Derw Doeth.

Caer Ogma, the legendary fortress of the Order, located on an island between Prydadain, Horntriu and Cobernia, a true neutral terrain. I never thought that someday I would end up knowing this place. The Order was very secretive, but they always did their best to help in times of need. Derw Doeth led me to the longhouse at the top of the mound where the fort stood.

Derw Doeth and Ignis Gladius entered the communal house. A large hearth fire was located in the center and ran from one end to the other with its embers heating the entire room. Long tables were placed around the embers where several ponies ate, drank and chatted amicably, and several thrones were placed in the center, supposedly for important positions of the Order.

“Ignis Gladius, as Grandmaster of the Order of the Oak and Apple I decide which ponies are worth to be with us, we need brave ponies like you, you would be a great champion.” Said Derw Doeth.

"And what would be my mission?"

"Not so fast. You will have to pass a training and a test, once completed you will be a full member.” The druid explained.

"Training? I spent ten years in the Legion, isn't that enough?” Ignis Gladius asked puzzled.

"It’s not only about knowing how to fight, but you will learn it over time." Said Derw Doeth. "Oh, I almost forgot... Seren!"

Derw Doeth called a pony sitting at one of the tables, a beautiful young bay fur unicorn with a cutie mark of a spiral on a large tree and dark brown mane.

"Yes, Grandmaster?" Asked the unicorn.

"Let me introduce you to your chymar, Ignis Gladius. Ignis Gladius, she will be your cydymaith, Seren Sglein.” Seren looked at Ignis puzzled, then looked back at Derw Doeth.

Sunset recognize that name. If what Derw Doeth told her was true, that mare was her mother. Now she wanted to know how more of this story.

"You’re joking, right?" She said. "I refuse to team up with a legionary."

"Seren Sglein, it is not a suggestion, I think it will be good for both of you to be together. So, as Grandmaster I command this."

"No, I refuse! You know what those savages did in Dyn Neighdin!” Seren Sglein was getting nervous.

The mare in front of me had already made it clear that she didn’t like me because I was a legionary, and if I was honest I didn’t like teaming up with somepony from Horntriu either, but I trusted Derw Doeth's judgment, so I decided to pluck up courage and swallow what little pride I had left.

After Derw Doeth asked the mare for a private talk, she reluctantly agreed to the Grandmaster's plan. Seren Sglein left the communal house accompanied by Ignis Gladius.

"Well, what’s it like being companions?" Ignis Gladius asked trying to start a conversation.

"Let me tell you something, I don't like you, you are a legionary..." She said in a hostile tone.

"Technically former legionary, I quit..." Ignis Gladius defended himself.

“Once a legionary, always a legionary. I agreed to this because Derw Doeth wanted it that way and he’s not usually wrong. But that doesn’t mean that I like it, unless it’s totally necessary, you will go your way and I will go my way. Welcome to the Order.”

After that monologue, Seren Sglein retired leaving a confused Ignis Gladius alone.

I had no idea where I had gotten into.


The visions kept going. In the next one, Ignis Gladius chatted amicably with the fortress blacksmith, a strong earth pony.

"How are things going with Seren Sglein? Is she still a pain in the ass?" The blacksmith asked.

“Every time she looks at me, it's like she stuck twenty pugions in my chest. I would feel safer in front of a hungry warg.” Said Ignis Gladius, to which the smith laughed.

"Easy friend, she is… complicated, but of course you have it more difficult, having been a legionary and so..."

My time in the Order helped me meet many interesting ponies. They came from all over Eponia and because of that I was able to see weird friendships that I never thought I'd seen. A Horntriu druid with a Kynslóð, a Scobii pirate with a pegasus... never seen before. But Seren Sglein was a different kettle of fish, when I first met her she mentioned something about Dyn Neighdin, her hostility had to come from there; If she saw the horrors of war, it was understandable that she would feel hatred towards me, or at least towards my former self. Could it be true? Can I never escape from my past? Did I become a legionary, and will I die a legionary?

Ignis Gladius started training again with Seren Sglein, she was testing spells against him while he defended himself with an enchanted shield.

"If all legionaries fight like you, it’s no wonder we won the war." She said scoffing.

Ignis Gladius threw the shield to the ground in anger, with such bad luck that one of Seren Sglein's spells struck him square. Unconsciously she galloped to see how he was, but he offered her an acid response.

"Do you come to see if you can finish off your prey?"

"I wanted to know if you could stand up on your own..." She replied just as sharply.

"Look, I'm starting to get tired already, whatever you’ve got against me, get over it." Ignis Gladius said getting up and standing up to her. “You may be used to get whatever you want because of your pretty face, but I don't have to put up with this. Do you think you are the only one who wants to leave behind a dire past? The past is what it is, it cannot be changed, but we can change ourselves so as not to repeat it. When you decide to adopt a civil tone, find me at the tavern.”

So Ignis Gladius withdrew leaving Seren Sglein perplexed after that row.

At that moment I didn’t know what made my heart beat the most, the fact that I had yelled at her, or recognized that she was a pretty mare.


In the next vision, Sunset was able to see Ignis Gladius and Seren Sglein in front of the Grand Master.

I managed to learn everything they taught me about the Order in a year: its origin, its history, its objectives... My relationship with Seren Sglein improved a little, in the end, we learned to spend more than two hours in the same room inadvertently kill us. I knew her a little better and she knew me, but neither I knew her secrets nor she knew mine.

“Ignis, Seren, you have come far, and it is time for your final test. You will have to go to a cave near Mount Neightin, I think Ignis Gladius knows it well.”

"What's in that cave?" Ignis Gladius asked.

“If you do it right, you will find a spear, you will recognize it immediately. Bring it and you will be full members. Ignis Gladius, if you succeed, I have great plans for you, come back victorious or don't come back.”

"Yes, Grandmaster." Ignis Gladius greeted Derw Doeth in the way of the legionaries and marched to prepare his equipment, as did Seren Sglein.

The vision flashed forward to a plain where Ignis Gladius and Seren Sglein walked protecting themselves from a strong wind.

"And how did you say you call this wind?" Asked Seren.

"Cercius, they say it is due to a dragon that in the Draconian War raised its wings and with a powerful spell cursed these lands with these gales. So they named it after that dragon: Cercius.” Ignis Gladius explained to the unicorn.

After much walking they reached the hills of a mountain at sunset. Fortunately, the wind picked up and they decided to camp among some trees near the slope. There they started to set up their little camp, but some noises distracted them.

Out of the undergrowth came a huge wild boar, larger than them, which charged to attack them.

Carnivorous wild boars are some of the most grotesque creatures in these lands, larger than an adult stallion, with four sharp tusks capable of threading you with one blow and hard as rocks. I couldn't allow him to harm us, I couldn't endanger Seren...

Ignis Gladius flew at boar to stab him with his sword, but that beast was faster and dodged it. It was surprisingly agile for its enormous size. With a sharp blow, Ignis managed to jump one of his fangs and flew to dodge another possible attack.

Then the boar watched a simpler target and charged at the unicorn. Seren Sglein had avoided direct combat as she was no match for the huge boar. Seren froze with fear, but before the boar could ram her, Ignis Gladius, rushing from above, pushed her off taking some of the beast's impact.

"Ignis!" Seren yelled as she saw the boar hit the former legionary in the side.

"Take cover!" He yelled.

Ignis Gladius got up with difficulty and stood up to the boar, who prepared to charge again. The boar ran snarling, but before he could reach the pegasus, he flapped his wings with a great leap, landing on top of the boar and driving the gladius into its neck. The boar growled, stirred, and fell to the ground kicking one last time as it bled out.

Ignis Gladius drew his sword from the boar's neck, but not before ripping off the rest of its fangs and storing them in a saddlebag. When the adrenaline left his body, Ignis Gladius staggered, but fortunately Seren Sglein managed to catch him in time.

"We have to stitch your wound, but we have to find a safe place." She said.

Together they walked through the woods until they found what looked like a cave entrance. They went inside and Seren left Ignis resting on the floor while she whimpered in pain.

Seren built a campfire and removed various utensils from their saddlebags, such as a mortar and a small kettle. Immediately, she brought water to a boil, took several herbs out of a sachet, and prepared to crush them in the mortar.

"Give me your pugio, please." Said Seren. Ignis Gladius gave it to her, and she put it on the coals to warm it up.

"What are you doing?" Asked the pegasus.

"I am preparing a poultice; your wound must be disinfected." The druid poured some water into the mortar and mixed it with the crushed herbs, creating a thick paste.

She placed the poultice on the wound, something that made the pegasus itch.

"Stop complaining... what kind of a soldier are you?" Seren scoffed.

"I would like to see you with a wound like that." Ignis replied.

"I bet you made yourself worse cuts by shaving."

Ignis Gladius's pugio blade had turned red. With her magic Seren levitated it as she removed the poultice from the wound.

"Okay, now bite something because this is going to hurt." Ignis Gladius heeded and bit the hilt of his sword.

The unicorn placed the red-hot dagger into Ignis Gladius's wound as he let out a howl of pain, cauterizing the wound. Once finished, the pegasus released the sword from his mouth and breathed heavily as drops of cold sweat ran down his body. Aware of her exhaustion, Seren Sglein placed a sagum above his body for him to rest. They both needed it. It was then that Seren decided to ask him a question...

"Why did you save me?"

"And what was I going to do? Let it kill you and devour you? You're my partner, for good and bad, I couldn't let anything bad happen to you.” The words of Ignis Gladius touched her heart, for the first time since she met him, she regretted having despised him.

"Sorry..." Ignis Gladius was surprised at the unicorn's response. "In the end I was wrong, and I misjudged you, just for being a legionary... but they destroyed everything I loved." Seren Sglein began to open at last. “I lived in Dyn Neighdin with my mother, I was training to be a Druid, I was not going to join the Order until I was ready; I had everything there, friends, a nice house, my mother... But then the war came, the Legion besieged the city by land, some ponies couldn’t get a passage in ships to flee. On the day of the assault I was taking a ship for us to leave and meet my father, but my mother never got to embark. As the ship left the port, I could see my city on fire. I never saw my mother again... The Legion took everything I loved from me.”

Ignis Gladius could see how several tears fell from Seren's turquoise eyes. Downcast, he decided to open up too...

"Sorry... I wish I could have done something." She didn’t say anything. "I was a member of the Prydadain Pegasus Senate by order of Queen Adain Boudica, I was there when the senators ratified the declaration of war. I was opposed from the beginning, I knew it was a political mistake, but as magister equitum of the Legion I had to respond to the call of duty. But when I was there my vision of the war changed completely... I was leading the siege of Alt Corn and I was face to face with the crown prince of Horntriu. He was a brave young colt who preferred to die for his kin rather than dishonor them. After the war I retired, I was harassed by ghosts for a long time, until Derw Doeth found me and asked me to join the Order. Until now I had not spoken to anypony about what happened in the war…”

"I didn't think I could open up to you like this." Said Seren Sglein. "I think Father was right and it was a good decision to put us together."

"Wait a minute, did you say 'father'?" Ignis Gladius asked.

“I guess there is no point in keeping it a secret. Yes, Derw Doeth, the Grandmaster of the Order is my father.”

I could not believe what I heard, my partner was the daughter of the Grandmaster.

"I just want to say thank you, Ignis Gladius, for saving my life and for not abandoning me." She said looking away, but this time it was not out of contempt, but embarrassment.

"That's what friends are for." Said Ignis Gladius laying down on the floor and closing his eyes exhausted.

Yes, I considered her a friend, maybe I didn't show it, but I could see in her the same spark of loyalty that Telum Fidelis gave off, whom I considered my frater. Also, the dim light of the bonfire in the cave made her look even more beautiful...

A while later a growl caught their attention.

"What was that?" Ignis Gladius asked looking for his weapon. "A dragon?"

"I don't think so, it didn't sound like a dragon..." Said Seren Sglein. She lit her horn and got up ready to explore the cave. "I'll go check it out."

"I'm coming with you." Said Ignis Gladius getting up and taking his sword.

"Are you crazy? You have to rest for your wound.” Said Seren scolding him.

"There’s no way you get rid of me so easily, beautiful." Seren blushed at Ignis Gladius's comment.

Both explored the cave that, curiously, in the depths had several lighted torches.

"It’s obvious that there’s something alive here..." Said Ignis Gladius.

Another growl was heard closer making all the mane hairs of both ponies stand on end. As they rounded a corner, they entered a cavern full of treasures, and as they moved a little farther, they could see the cause of these noises: a huge minotaur with long horns, a muscular body, and bloodshot eyes. Beneath its hooves were the remains of other creatures that were killed and, apparently, devoured, including ponies.

The minotaur became aware of the intruders and growled. "Food!"

"Let's get out of here quickly!" Ignis Gladius yelled.

But it was late, the minotaur threw a huge rock towards the ceiling of the cavern causing a small collapse and blocking the path where Ignis Gladius and Seren Sglein arrived.

"Futuo!" Ignis cursed.

"We're trapped!" Said Seren worried.

As they turned around, they saw the minotaur grab a double-edged axe almost as big as he was. Suddenly, shook the right leg ready to charge them. The beast charged at incredible speed for its size.

"Take cover!" Ignis Gladius yelled.

Just before it caught up with them, Seren jumped back and Ignis flapped his wings, causing the minotaur to hit the loose rocks, moving them a little but without doing himself the least bit of damage.

Ignis Gladius flew quickly to where Seren Sglein was.

"You ok?" She nodded. "Seren, do you think you can remove those rocks with your magic?"

"What are you thinking?" Asked the unicorn.

"I'm going to distract him while you remove them, it's the only way we can get out of here."

"Ignis, this is madness, if he hits you with that labrys, you’re dead." She said without crediting what she heard.

"I know." And without warning, Ignis Gladius kissed her. It was a fleeting, quick kiss, as if it were a farewell. Thus, after separating, Ignis Gladius flew to face the minotaur.

Seren Sglein came out of her stupor and went to the detachment to remove the stones. Ignis Gladius used his agility to dodge the strong blows that the minotaur made with his labrys. Unfortunately for the pegasus, the cavern prevented him from flying properly and he felt tired from the previous fight with the boar and the loss of blood.

"Damn pony, stay still!" The minotaur yelled trying to catch up.

Seren Sglein had managed to open a gap between the rocks, drawing Ignis Gladius's attention to escape.

The legionnaire managed to reach the minotaur in the side with his sword, but he wielded the axe to hit him too. Ignis Gladius tried to defend himself, but with the blow his sword broke and he fell to the ground. The minotaur quickly grabbed him with his huge hand, holding him in the air like a sack of potatoes.

"Okay little pony, it's your turn." The minotaur said in his deep voice.

"Ignis!" Seren yelled.

"Seren, save yourself!" Ignis Gladius said as best he could.

However, she couldn’t leave and abandon him there, she owed him, she couldn’t abandon her partner, her friend...

Without thinking twice, Seren Sglein gallop towards the direction of the minotaur and a bolt of lightning came from her horn that hit the beast's neck causing him to scream and turn in the unicorn’s direction.

"Release him, monster." She said very angry.

The minotaur threw Ignis Gladius away bumping into a rock. Bruised by the blow, it was not long before he noticed something that was shining on top of that stone.

"What the…"

Seren Sglein defended herself from the blows of the minotaur with force fields and attacked with spells of all kinds. However, the minotaur barely flinched.

Ignis Gladius looked at the shiny object and realized it was a spearhead. Large and, above all, very sharp. As he got a little closer, he noticed something strange, it was made of silver. Ignis Gladius felt a strange tickle as he brought his hoof closer to the spear and hesitated at first, but Seren Sglein was in danger, his sword was broken and it wasn’t time to think, but to act.

After grabbing the spear, Ignis Gladius flew toward the minotaur that was cornering Seren and rammed the spear into his back. The beast growled, for some reason that spear did more damage to him than the gladius he was fighting with before.

“Damn you little bird! I will devour your insides…” The minotaur shouted, ready to give Ignis Gladius a goring.

Seren Sglein used her magic to shoot towards the ceiling, causing several rocks to fall on the minotaur interrupting his charge.

To the ponies' surprise, Seren's spell opened a gap, causing a beam of sunlight to illuminate the cavern. Suddenly, the spear carried by Ignis Gladius began to glow and sizzle as it was hit by sun rays.

When the minotaur shook of the rocks that fell on him, he glared at Ignis Gladius, shook his right hoof again, and once more prepared to charge.

"Very well bull, do you want to catch me? Come and get me.” The pegasus said putting his spear at the ready.

Seren Sglein thought Ignis had gone crazy, judging by his posture he was going to charge the minotaur.

And indeed, the minotaur charged, and Ignis Gladius galloped towards him with the spear ahead, brilliant as the Sun. A few meters away, Ignis Gladius jumped and before the minotaur could raise the axe to hit him, the Pegasus nailed his spear into the chest and a strange fire came out of the wound burning the minotaur. The beast growled, released the axe, clutching at the chest where the spear was still stuck, and fell to death screaming in pain.

Ignis Gladius approached the corpse and pulled out the blood-soaked spear. As a trophy, the pegasus cut off one of the minotaur’s horns. The spear still maintained that special shine. Ignis Gladius kept looking at it amazed.

It was clear that this spear was not a normal weapon, after using it in combat I watched it carefully and saw something written in the spearhead: 'Clarior E Tenebris' (The Brightest Thing in the Dark). I realized that this was what Derw Doeth had sent us to look for. We had succeeded and we had done it together.

"I think this is what we were looking for." Said Ignis Gladius.

Clarior E Tenebris...By all that is holy, that’s Lugus’ Spear..." Said Seren Sglein surprised. "It had been lost for centuries."

“I think we earned join the Order through the front door. Why don't you make that hole up there bigger so we can get you out of here?”

Seren listened and with a spell opened the gap wider so that two ponies could pass. Ignis grabbed her and carried her on his back and together they flew out of that infernal cavern.

"Ignis, may I ask you a question?" Seren said already out of the cavern. "Why did you kiss me earlier?"

Ignis Gladius blushed at that question. "When I saw that minotaur charging at me, I thought he was going to kill me. I thought about all the things I hadn't done, and for some reason kissing you was on my list.” Seren Sglein said nothing to that comment, and although Ignis Gladius didn't notice, she smiled as she remembered what happened in the cave.


In the next flash forward, Ignis Gladius gave Derw Doeth the spear.

"I don't want the spear, Ignis, it's yours." The druid said.

"What do you mean it’s mine?"

"The spear chose you. They say that this weapon was forged in ancient times, Lugus used it to fight against the dragons in the Great Draconian War, he was able to draw the power of the Sun and the Lightning, but after the Interregnum War, he became the High King of Prydadain and hid the spear, waiting for the arrival of a worthy warrior. He consulted an Ovates about it and only said one name, do you know which one?” Ignis Gladius waited impatiently for the answer. "Viros Veramos."

It was not possible, many more than me were called with that title, but the test was before him. I was never a true believer in destiny and such things, but what happened in the last days made me doubt even my own convictions.

“That is why I specifically sought you out. A veteran Pegasus of the Legion, originally from the lands where the Cercius blows and who was called with the title of Viros Veramos. It is an honor for me to welcome you to the Order.” Derw Doeth said very cheerfully.

"It is done. Without ceremony or anything?” Ignis Gladius asked, amazed at how brief everything was.

“Of course, there will be a ceremony, we will prepare the ritual at Stallionhenge. But you have to know several things before. Your role in the Order won’t be of an average champion, I’m going to entrust you with what is probably the most important task of the Order, one of the reasons why this group exists.”

Ignis Gladius was surprised that the old stallion changed his tone from jovial to serious. Sunset Shimmer also noticed it strange. They both paid attentions.

“A long time ago, when our Great Mother Epona was still ruling, she found a portal to Antumnos. It is said that it changed her shape, she was no longer a pony like us but... something else that I can’t describe. In Antumnos she met a nobleman and they both fell in love, but their relationship could not be possible, neither of them could be with the other without giving up their respective world, that is why they regretfully decided to separate. However, Epona didn’t return alone… she came with the gift of a new life.”

"Was she pregnant?" Ignis Gladius asked without credit.

"Exactly, good observation. The only one who knew of the existence of said pregnancy was Ogmios, not even Morrigan who was Epona's sister knew anything. When the day came, Epona gave birth to a beautiful unicorn foal; Epona made Ogmios swear that he would take care of her son, so he, being the first and most loyal of the druids, accepted, and soon our Great Mother died…” Derw Doeth paused and continued with his story. “Ogmios took care of the foal as if it were his own, but then the Interregnum War broke out and he was forced to flee; Lugus put him against the sword and the wall, and for him the most important thing was to fulfill the promise he made to Epona. So, he fled to the North, where years later the Kingdom of Horntriu was founded; It was there that he explained to the foal his origins and why it was dangerous to reveal it, since hidden forces needed to end Epona’s lineage.”

"Hidden Forces?"

“Among the flames of war, a faction that wanted to spread Chaos throughout Eponia and thus control it, they called themselves the Fomóire. The only thing keeping them in line was the magical protection that the Great Mother left us through her lineage, a lineage hidden from all the ponies on this earth. That is why Ogmios founded the Order, to protect the sacred lineage and with it all of Eponia.”

"Derw Doeth, everything you’re telling me contradicts the bards and official chroniclers... you are breaking down everything I thought I knew about history." Said Ignis Gladius still in disbelief.

"I’ve not finished yet. The lineage was perpetuated for centuries, and the Fomóire always looked for a way to carry out their sinister goals, but everything changed after the Invasion of the Crystal Empire. The Order never got involved in wars, but an invasion by a foreign enemy, that was a different kettle of fish. We were the ones who convince the kingdoms to put aside their differences and fight together for a common cause. Thanks to that we saved our land, and it was a powerful druid descendant from Epona who used the Avalon Fog spell to protect us, but we didn’t realize that our enemy was also inside. The Fomóire actively supported the invading army and, seeing that we thwarted their plans, they set out to destroy us once and for all. That is why our work is more important than ever, we have been fighting them for almost a century and we must end the Fomorian threat before they end us.”

"And what role do I play in all this?"

“You were chosen by Lugus’ Spear, that means you are a courageous, honorable and loyal warrior. That is why I name you the Guardian of the Lineage, you will have to take care of the last descendant of Epona that currently lives.”

"Who might that be?"

"Your cydymaith, my daughter Seren Sglein."


After another flash forward, Sunset saw Seren Sglein and Ignis Gladius walking calmly through a fairly populated city.

Eponadunum was the most important city in Prydadain and in all of Eponia, it was the oldest one and the historical capital too. Although the political center of the kingdom was Coltdinium, Eponadunum was where the royal family resided. I was with Seren Sglein in the Mountain District for a special reason. I wanted to take her to the Temple of the Great Mother.

"I can't believe you’ve never been in Eponadunum before." Said Ignis Gladius.

“I was born and raised in Horntriu, I never had to leave until I was ready to join the Order. But this city is fantastic, I always wanted to visit it.” Seren said in awe.

"Glad to be here with you." Said Ignis Gladius.

Seren Sglein smiled and snuggled her head against Ignis Gladius in a loving way, surprising Sunset.

In time, Seren and I got much closer, I got to know her better and I ended up falling in love with her. She was a wonderful, intelligent, skillful, brave and attractive mare. We had our differences at first, but after closing the wounds of the past we saw that we had many things in common. I don't know at what exact moment, but Seren stole my heart and we became lovers. Fighting alongside your special somepony was probably a bigger motivation than devotion to any king. And I was willing to make this last forever...

Ignis Gladius and Seren Sglein walked through a district of the city where most of the ponies were unicorns. That neighborhood was full of majestic gardens and refined craft shops, but what stood out most was the Great Temple of Epona, a horseshoe-shaped structure of wood and stone.

In the central courtyard there was a statue of Epona in a solemn position. Seren Sglein stared at the statue in admiration as a tear fell down her right eye.

"She is beautiful, the Great Mother..." Seren said.

"This statue was made shortly after she passed away." Ignis Gladius explained.

"I always wondered if I was worthy of her legacy."

“Of course, you are, of all the ponies I know, I can't think of anypony more worthy than you. You are brave, powerful and skilled. I’ve never met anypony like you Seren.” Said Ignis Gladius.

"Ignis please, you're going to make me blush." Seren said laughing.

"Seren, listen, I have to ask you something." Ignis Gladius said standing in front of her. "Seren Sglein, during the time I have been in the Order you have been my partner, we didn’t get off on the right hoof, but I learned to accept you, and later I considered you my friend, to the point that we ended up being lovers..." Seren Sglein blushed with the words of the pegasus. “You are the most wonderful mare I know, you helped me to get rid of my ghosts, and now I can’t imagine a future if it’s not with you. So here, in front of the temple of Epona, I humbly ask you, would you marry me?”

Seren Sglein stood still, even more than the statue, upon hearing those words. Sunset Shimmer was as perplexed as Seren while she watched the scene. The answer was immediate and Seren Sglein said ‘yes’ by kissing Ignis Gladius in front of the statue of her ancestor and matriarch of all the ponies of that ancient land.

Sunset felt weird, if everything that Derw Doeth told her was true, she just had watched her parents’ engagement...


After a new flash, Sunset saw many ponies gathered on a cromlech like she had never seen before. The huge stones that made it up stood majestic in the countryside. Around the cromlech, many ponies had gathered to celebrate some kind of ceremony.

A wedding.

In the center stood Derw Doeth dressed in a white tunic with gold accents. In front of him Ignis Gladius dressed in his best Magister Equitum finery and Seren Sglein wore a white dress with red details, representing purity and passion.

"Brothers and sisters, today we have gathered to witness the union of Ignis Gladius and Seren Sglein, in the presence of the gods and our ancestors." Derw Doeth said chairing the ceremony. "Ignis Gladius and Seren Sglein, do you come here of your own free will?"

"Yes, we come." They both said.

Derw Doeth then turned looking east. "Spirits of the East, spirits of air, let us feel your breath! Through times of uncertainty, through winds of change, will you still love and honour each other?”

"Yes, we will." They replied.

"May the powers of the East bless you. May you together find the freedom to fly with the clear mountain air, may your love be reborn with each new dawn.” Then Derw Doeth turned again, this time to the south. "Spirits of the South, spirits of fire, let us feel your power! Through the flames of passion, and when the fires burn low, will you still love and honour each other?”

"Yes, we will."

"May the powers of the South bless you. May together you dance the road of courage and vitality. May your home be filled with warmth.” Derw Doeth turned west. "Spirits of the West, spirits of water, let us feel your flowing energy! Through the white water streams and deep pools of emotion, will you still love and honour each other?”

"Yes, we will."

"May the powers of the West bless you. May together you weave and blend your desires, flowing with the beauty of the ocean tides. May your life together be filled with love.” Finally, Derw Doeth turned north. "Spirits of the North, spirits of Earth, let us feel your safety! Through times of cold restriction, when problems seem immovable, will you still love and honour each other?”

"Yes, we will."

"May the powers of the North bless you. May together you root in sweet fertile soil, that your union may grow strong. May your lives together be rich with that fertility and its perfect fruitfulness.”

Following that ritual, Derw Doeth tied the bride and groom's hooves with a piece of cloth.

“Then, in the name of our Great Mother Epona, of the gods and ancestors, I declare you husband and wife. You may kiss.”

Ignis Gladius and Seren Sglein kissed and were cheered as they walked down the cromlech greeting their friends and comrades, among them Telum Fidelis, Ignis' best friend. The musicians started to play some music and the party began while beer, wine, mead and cider flew.

At the time I thought I couldn't be happier, however a short time later Seren proved me I was wrong.


Yet another flash, which Sunset had already accustomed to, she moved back to Caer Ogma's stronghold. Ignis Gladius entered his roundhouse where his wife was waiting for him studying various scrolls about ancient objects. Seren Sglein looked more radiant than ever, which made the former legionary smile.

"Do you have any clues about the next move of the Fomóire?" Ignis Gladius asked.

"Nothing, just empty tracks." Suddenly, Seren's horn sizzled and she put her hoof on her head.

"Honey, are you ok?" Her husband asked worriedly.

"Yes, you know that in this state my magic tends to get a little out of control." She said while rubbing her belly with one of her hooves.

"You must rest, you don't want our foal to come out as stubborn as you, right?" Ignis Gladius said laughing.

"Excuse me, he or she will be as SMART as ME..." She also replied laughing. "And he or she will be brave and determined like you." Seren smiled tenderly to Ignis.

Ignis Gladius smiled feeling with one of his hooves the belly of his wife. "We haven't decided on a name yet..."

"I want a unicorn name."

"And I want a pegasus name." Ignis Gladius replied.

"Let's be practical, if it’s a unicorn, I choose the name, if it’s a pegasus you choose the name."

"What if it's an earth pony?" Ignis Gladius asked. "Almost all my ancestors are pegasi, but there is always that possibility..."

"Well, if that happens, we will ask at Fíonn's Wheel."

The door of the roundhouse opened suddenly. An earth pony with heavy breathing entered the house and his expression didn’t bode well.

"Ignis Gladius, Derw Doeth is looking for you."


In the next flash, Sunset saw Seren Sglein in a bed lying on her side breathing hard, with Ignis Gladius losing his nerves by her side and a mare rummaging through the hind quarters of the druid unicorn. The last rays of the afternoon sun poured in through a window.

Things were not going well. During the last months the Fomóire acted with great force against us, they dared to destroy one of our most important nemeton in Cobernia. That is why Derw Doeth entrusted me with the mission of protecting Seren Sglein and the foal that was going to give birth at all costs, so we left Caer Ogma to a secluded place, where no one could find us; a place close to the border between Prydadain and Horntriu. Now Seren was giving birth, and fortunately an Ovates from a nearby village came to help us.

"Hold on my dear, just a little more." Ignis Gladius said cheering her on.

"The foal is coming!" Said the Ovates.

Seren Sglein neighed strongly, closed her eyes, and a loud cry was heard coming from a bundle that the ovates mare was trying to clean with wool cloths.

Ignis Gladius approached and could see a little filly with a tiny horn in her head among the mare's hooves. That little girl left him speechless.

"Congratulations, it's a filly." She said handing the bundle to Ignis Gladius.

The filly calmed down as the pegasus covered her with one of his wings, it was as if she recognized that she was being protected by her daddy. Ignis Gladius took a better look at her, she was a small unicorn with orange coat and a flaming mane identical to his. Opening her eyelids, she revealed two turquoise orbs that shone like the most precious of gems.

Sunset's jaw dropped, there was no longer any doubt. The filly that Ignis Gladius held between his hooves was her. She had just witnessed her own birth. Without realizing it, Sunset began to cry.

"She’s beautiful." He said smiling. "Pater, I’m pater. ” Ignis Gladius said pointing to himself.

"She's just been born, don't expect her to say anything." Said Seren Sglein recovering. "Bring me my baby, dear." Ignis Gladius pulled her close and placed her next to the mare who huddled her to protect her. "She is just like you."

"Except for the horn and the eyes, those are yours." Said Ignis Gladius smiling. " Well, it's a unicorn, you choose the name then."

“Sorry, I got nothing right now. She’s so pretty that I can’t think in anything else.”

Ignis Gladius smiled and thought how happy he was, he would never forget that moment nor that day. "Now every time I see a sunset, I will remember this day."

"Sunset... that's it. Machlud, Machlud Sglein.” Said Seren said as she kissed the sleeping filly on the forehead. “Machlud because of the sunset, and Sglein because she is the shimmer in our lives.”

"I love you, Seren." Said Ignis Gladius. "I love you Machlud." And so Ignis Gladius kissed her newborn daughter, the last descendant of Epona.

As everything turned white, an indication that she would be transported to a new memory, Sunset closed her eyes, letting several tears fall.


Another flash forward more and she was back in the house again, but the atmosphere was tense. Sunset could see herself sleeping in a crib watched by her mother, while Ignis Gladius filled several saddlebags with supplies. He seemed concerned about something.

The first months I spent with my daughter were the best. But that was the only good thing that happened. We got the news that a contingent of the Fomóire attacked Caer Ogma killing all its defenders. They killed everypony who resisted… Luckily, we learned that Derw Doeth get to safety. He sent a message to me and Seren; He wanted us to meet him in the Great Mother’s Grove. He said it was the only safe place that existed. Of course, the only thing that interested me was the safety of my wife and daughter...

"Do you have it all Seren?" Asked Ignis Gladius.

"Ignis, what will become of us?" Said Seren Sglein worried.

Ignis Gladius approached his wife and looked her in the eye. "We'll get out of this, nothing will happen to you as long as I live, I swear it."

Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, Ignis Gladius spotted something moving behind the window. Distrustful, he grabbed his spear and left the house. Outside he couldn’t see anything, calmly observing the surroundings he didn’t realize something was wrong until it literally jumped on him...

"Kyaaaaa." A pegasus attacked him brandishing a sica, but Ignis Gladius was more skilled and after dodging it a couple of times he stabbed the spear into his chest killing him almost instantly.

After drawing the spear from the death pegasus, Ignis Gladius saw more enemies coming at him from the trees. He galloped and went into the house where Seren Sglein was waiting for him, scared by the screams she heard and seeing her husband so agitated.

"Ignis what's going on?" She asked altered.

"Take Machlud now, you have to leave immediately!" Ignis yelled, covering the windows.

Suddenly they hit the door with high aggressiveness, Ignis's pursuers were trying to break it down.

"Futuo! It won't hold much longer… open the tunnel.” Seren Sglein knew what he was referring to and using a spell she made a door appear on the ground.

Seren loaded her saddlebags and her filly and opened the door to go down into what looked like a tunnel. But Ignis Gladius did not come down ...

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"I'm going to distract them so you can save time..." Ignis said.

"No Ignis, don't even think about it. They will kill you!"

"Maybe, but at least I will keep them away from you."

"No, please, don't do it, think of your daughter..." Seren began to cry because she knew that if she let him fight it was very likely that she would never see him again.

“That’s exactly what I’m doing; your life and especially HERS are more important than mine. Go with your father to the Grove.” Seren wasn’t moving, she was just there, static, with her baby in her arms as she cried. "Please Seren, don't make it any harder for me..."

Ignis Gladius himself had a tear. Seren Sglein, with all the pain in her heart, closed the door, locked it with magic and galloped through that tunnel without looking back...

Ignis Gladius opened a trunk and took a medium-sized vessel filled with gel-liked fluid and placed it in front of the door, pounded relentlessly by his enemies.

"Very well, with blood and fire..." Ignis Gladius said as the spear glowed brightly and began to sizzle.

The door fell and a couple of ponies tried to enter, but Ignis threw the spear into the jar, breaking it, and its flames ignited the contents. An explosive blast hit the ponies trying to enter, burning several and knocking down others.

Ignis Gladius galloped, picked up Lugus' Spear, and set out to fight his enemies. There were at least ten armed ponies not to mention the ones he had shot down with his trap, but the Legion veteran made it difficult for them. Armed with the magic spear, he ended up with two of them in no time.

Unfortunately, the numerical superiority played against him when one of his enemies stabbed him in the back with a sica to immediately receive a cut with a gladius on the leg with which he held the spear. The others continued attacking him until somepony yelled for them to stop.

Ignis Gladius fell to the ground and saw a pony dressed in a black robe and a crow mask emerging from among them. The beak covered its nose and the rest of its head, including its mane, was covered by black feathers.

Suddenly, King Pegasutagus’ words make sense to me, “Don’t trust in every crow.” I wish I'd known that before, so I could alert Queen Adain Boudica.

"Sorry to see you like this..." Said the masked pony, which turned out to be a pegasus, as the wings protruded from the robe. "You already tore up our plans in Mareffraw but joining the Order... you should have known you'd end up like this." The masked man looked around for something or somepony. "Where's the descendant?”

Ignis Gladius smiled. "Far from your reach."

The Pony approached him abruptly and got so close that they could both hear each other breathe. "You are an idiot Ignis Gladius, sooner or later we will catch her." He said touching Ignis’ chin with one of his hooves. The movement he made caused a very peculiar pendant in his neck to be released, something that did not go unnoticed by Ignis Gladius.

"A Fasces?" The masked man stiffened. “I knew the Senate was rotten, but I didn't imagine how much. You know? I may not see your death, but when I reach the Elysium and you rot in the depths of Tartarus, I will laugh at your poisoned soul... non omnis moriar."

So, with what little strength he had left Ignis grabbed the spear and in a matter of seconds brandished it at the masked pony, causing a cut with a burn on his left side and wing.

The pony screamed in pain and his bodyguards did not hesitate to skewer Ignis Gladius with their weapons. The Legion veteran spat blood, while only one thing went through his mind: the memory of his wife Seren Sglein and daughter Machlud Sglein.

That's how it ends... I just hope that my sacrifice was not in vain. My beloved, my daughter... I love you both.

"NOOOOO!" Sunset shouted after seeing that horrifying spectacle still aware that there was nothing she could do.

Contrary to the other transitions, this time there was no blinding light, but everything was plunging into darkness, to the point where the blackness covered everything leaving Sunset in an infinite void with her heart destroyed by what she discovered.

Comments ( 8 )

Ah yes, the goddess of horses, Epona. Apparantly some Celtic kings would worship her by fucking horses

10204558
I studied about ancient rituals but not that kind :derpyderp1:
Although that could make sense since Epona was considered a fertility goddess 😅
So... Ancient Celtic kings were the first cloppers? :rainbowlaugh:

write more chapters please

10750774
I'm finishing the next chapter! :)

Comment posted by arc5162 deleted Apr 20th, 2021

10767026
when will the new chapter be released?

Cool idea, having dredged this up from my TBR list, I'm curious to see how this goes, I just wanted to say with all due respect that the first chapter is a little clunky. Some spelling errors, and some places where the characters talk very woodenly. Not a reason to stop reading by any means, but I thought I'd try to be helpful.

Login or register to comment