• Published 5th Sep 2018
  • 675 Views, 19 Comments

The Chronicles of Eponia - GallaicusBrony92



When the map started doing strange things, the main 6 decided to investigate the unusual phenomenon, the result: a new trip to a new land.

  • ...
1
 19
 675

10 - The Fomóire

The wind howled through the branches of the forest as the dim moonlight illuminated the corpse of the huge warg.

Derw Doeth's words left everypony present speechless, still trying to recover from the tough fight against the giant wolves.

"Uhm... did he say what I think he said?" Rainbow Dash asked surprised.

"Granddaughter? Then you are my…” Sunset said without giving credit yet.

"I know you have a lot of questions, but this is not the best place to answers." Said Derw Doeth interrupting Sunset. "Come with me to my cabin. There I will respond to everything you want, and I will take care of the wounded.”

The ponies listened to the druid and followed him to a medium-sized roundhouse made of stone with dark thatched roof. The interior was not much different from Gwrthfiotig's cabin, the Ovates from Dwrnhorsefawr, but this one was larger.

"You two are hurting more than anypony, let me check you out." He said referring to Lir and Applejack.

Although Applejack had superficial wounds and bruises from the blows, Lir had a large cut on his back, caused by a claw from the warg.

"You were lucky kid, that beast could have cut you in half." The druid said as he began to stitch up his wound.

"I won't go into this forest again without at least one chain mail." Lir said as he tried to bear the pain.

"Derw Doeth." Said Twilight. "You say we're here because of you, but why do you call us?"

"Do you know anything about the history of Eponia?" Derw Doeth asked, to which Twilight nodded.

"We were in the Hall of Stories in Horsenaforda." Explained the Princess of Friendship.

"If that’s true, then I’m afraid you only know history from Prydadain's point of view." Derw Doeth said. " Did they even tell you about Caturix?"

They all looked confused, all except Lir.

“Who?” Asked Twilight.

"He was the founder of the Blue Horns of Horntriu." The Skáld said. "During the Interregnum War he led the unicorns of the North against the legions in a brutal guerrilla warfare that nearly decimated the armies of Lugus... they called it Purinos Polemos, The Fiery War." Everyone stared at Lir impressed by his knowledge as Derw Doeth nodded. "What? I’m a Skáld, my duty is to know about history…”

“Ah, a follower of the ancient traditions of the Mighty Helms. I haven't spoken to one of you in a long time.” Said Derw Doeth.

"Okay, under normal circumstances I would love to talk about history, but what was the question about?" Twilight asked.

"There are many things in the history of Eponia that are not told... After the Interregnum War Ogmios founded the Order of Oak and Apple to safeguard the harmony of our land and reach a consensus among the kingdoms that arose from the ashes of the conflict."

"Well, by the looks of it, he didn't do a good job..." Said Rainbow Dash while the rest looked at her with a serious look, although Derw Doeth did his best to ignore the comment. “What? I’m just saying.”

“The thing is that after the war the division wasn’t the only thing that happend. A group emerged from the shadows and ashes of the conflict that tried to take control of Eponia through chaos.” Explained Derw Doeth.

"Through chaos?" Asked Applejack.

"Looks like a plan devised by Discord." Pinkie Pie said.

"That group has been our enemy from the beginning, but after the Invasion of the Crystal Empire, and the role the Order played in defeating the invaders, our enemies vowed to destroy us once and for all."

"And what is the name of your enemies?" Twilight asked.

"They call themselves the Fomóire, or Fomorians." Said Derw Doeth.

"Fomorians? I’ve never heard of them…” Said Lir.

"Of course not, the Fomorians can’t be seen in broad daylight, metaphorically speaking. They are a top-secret society that act in the shadows.” Explain the druid. "Throughout history many who belonged to the high society of Eponia have been members of that society: Consuls, Earls, warriors, druids... there was even a king of Prydadain who was a Fomóire..."

“Sorry Derw Doeth, but what does this have to do with us? What does this have to do with ME?” Asked Sunset who was still eager to get some answers.

"The Fomóire knew from the beginning that the Order would be a hindrance to their plans, when the Empire invaded Eponia the Fomorians collaborated with them, but the Order managed to frustrate their plans. The remnants languished for a long time, but they recently returned for revenge… and they almost succeeded.” Derw Doeth looked down and closed his eyes. It was as if the pain of his memories poked him deep in his heart. "One by one, they were eliminating the members of the Order, they even destroyed our main fortress: Caer Ogma. For many years I was the sole survivor... but with you here, Sunset... I think hope can arise again."

Sunset Shimmer was shocked, she was still taking in the fact that Derw Doeth had recently said that he was her grandfather, and the things he told created more questions than answers.

"I know there are many things you want to know, be free to ask." The old druid said.

"It is true? Am I your granddaughter?” Derw Doeth nodded silently. “It can't be, how is it possible? If I am from Eponia, why did I grow up in Equestria? Who are my parents?"

"Your parents... " Derw Doeth paused briefly, took a breath, and stared at the orange unicorn. "Your mother was my daughter, a druid with more talent in magic than you could ever imagine... her name was Seren Sglein."

"And my father?" Sunset asked.

"Your father was a pegasus legionary, a brave, loyal, and honorable soldier named Ignis Gladius."

"I knew it! I knew the pegasus in that tapestry looked like you darling.” Said Rarity proud of being right.

"But why didn't I meet them? Why did they abandon me?” Sunset asked on the verge of tears.

"Sunset... they didn't abandon you... it's hard to tell." Derw Doeth tried to explain.

"What do you mean hard?"

"Tell me, do you have a horn with Ogham engraved on it?"

Sunset took out of her saddlebag the mysterious horn she had carried with her since she was a filly. "Is this what you’re looking for?"

"Yes, this horn is not a simple drinking container, it is what we need to be able to find what we need to defeat the Fomóire." Said the druid.

"How exactly?" Twilight asked curiously.

"This is a clairvoyant horn. It is done in the same way that a Fionn’s Wheel is made, only this is more specific, only the pony it was made for can be imbued with the visions engraved on it.”

Engraved on it? Hold on a sec partner, are ya sayin’ that this horn is like a crystal ball?” Asked Applejack.

“Something like that… but only Sunset can use it.” Derw Doeth went to a shelf and from it he took out four leather strips with various engravings. "Do you see this? This is what can help us put an end to the Fomorians.”

"What are those?" Asked Twilight.

“These are the four legendary treasures. Ancient objects of power from the time when Eponia was a strong kingdom united under the protective hoof of our Great Mother.”

"I heard the bards talk about them, but I thought they were that, just legends." Said Lir.

"Well, they’re very real. There are four: The Stone of Destiny, the Sword of Nuada, the Spear of Lugus and the Cauldron of Dagda.”

"What is so special about these objects?" Spike asked, looking at the engravings on the leather.

"All those objects are magical, the Order has been trying to get hold of them for centuries, but we could only get one in its day... well, two, but the Stone is in an immovable place."

"And what are its qualities? What about their origin?" Twilight asked excitedly to learn more about magic relics.

"The Stone of Destiny was the stone on which Ogmios engraved his first Ogham, with the help of a dragon friend of his, he transported it as an offering to Epona, they left it on a hill and when the Great Mother approached to it, it is said that the stone roared; that was taken as a sign that Epona's destiny was to be our queen. Today only a descendant of Epona can approach the stone to unleash its power.”

"But Epona had no offspring, did she?" Lir said convinced, but something in Derw Doeth's silence made him suspicious.

"Next up is Nuada 'Silver Horn' Sword. That sword was Nuada’s weapon, he was a great unicorn warrior who fought in the Great Dragon War; in a battle against the great dragon Sreng, he lost his horn, but with the help of Dian Cecht, Ogmios’ best ovates healer, he managed to create a silver horn that made him recover. However, he was no longer fit to fight, so he bequeathed his sword to Morrigan and she used it until the Interregnum War; there, after seeing the hecatomb of the conflict, she denied the sword and hid it in a safe place. There are those who say that the sword ended up in Avalon.”

Derw Doeth continued showing the Treasures.

“The third treasure is Lugus' Spear, a magnificent spear made with sacred oak wood and silver, a weapon capable of drawing the power of the Sun and Lightning. Lugus also used it in the War, but just like Morrigan, he did not feel worthy of it after seeing what the War caused and declared that the spear would not fight again until someone worthy of it appeared.”

"Wow, those weapons sure are awesome." Said Rainbow Dash excited.

"And the fourth one?" Asked Sunset.

“The last one is Dagda’s Cauldron. Dagda was an earth pony and friend of Ogmios who reached a deal with a dragon leader, the deal was that he would withdraw if Dagda managed to eat a whole stew that he prepared in a cauldron. The dragons didn’t hear about Dagda's appetite and he devoured everything in that cauldron. Since then the Cauldron was used by members of the Order to create powerful potions and in ritual banquets, until the death of Ogmios, who hid it before dying.”

"And all those things can help us?" Asked Sunset.

“Those are objects of great power, that's why the Fomorians have been looking for them for centuries, just like us. And now that you are here, we will have an opportunity. You’ll see Sunset, your father found one of the treasures in his days, and died for it…”

Sunset's face fell. She didn't know why, since she had long suspected that her true parents were dead, but knowing it for sure changed the circumstances a lot.

"How?" She asked.

"I can't tell you because I don't really know. But the horn can show you. Your mother prepared it for that.” Derw Doeth put away the pieces of painted leather and made his way to a hearth fire in the roundhouse. “I have to prepare a certain tonic for the spell to work, rest for a while, you must be exhausted. When it’s ready, I'll let you know and we'll start whenever you want.”

The group decided to rest in Derw Doeth's roundhouse while he worked on the potion he mentioned, so they stop to think about everything that happened. Most were trying to sleep, but four ponies were unable to get some shuteye. In one corner, Lir played his lyre and sang a song in the ancient language of the Mighty Helms, Sunset looked out the window into darkness of the forest still thoughtful, Twilight looked at her unsure of what to say due to the situation they were facing, and Applejack, who was pretending to sleep with her hat on her face, as if she were taking a nap in the shade of one of her yearned for Sweet Apple Acres apple trees, listened carefully to the melody coming from the skáld’s lyre.

When Lir stopped playing Applejack got up and walked towards him.

"Nice song." She said.

“Thanks, it's from an old poem from my ancestors. It’s about an ancient prophetess and her visions of the fate of the world.” Said Lir. "How about your wound?"

“Ah, it's nothin’, I’ll be fine. Thanks for help me back there.” Applejack said scratching where the warg had hit her.

“Don't mention it, you also saved my hide; I am sure that without your help the warg would have devoured me.”

"You were right, y’know?" The cowgirl said. "Those beasts were fearsome; I had never seen anything like it in my life."

"We were very lucky. Few are the ponies that face one warg, let alone three, and live to tell the tale. Thank goodness that old man knew what he was doing.” Lir looked towards the hearth fire where Derw Doeth was preparing something in his kettle. "Do you think he's legit or is he just a crazy old nag?"

"If he wanted to harm us, he would have let those giant wolves devour us, just like we did with ya, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt." Applejack said convinced of the good vibes that Derw Doeth gave to her.

"Since you mentioned it..." Twilight said approaching them and joining the conversation. "I’m intrigued by what he said about the Sunset’s horn, if it can truly provide insights from the past it is a very useful tool."

"Why are ya so surprised, Twilight? Remember the potion Zecora gave ya when we discovered the Tree of Harmony.” Applejack said.

"I do remember, and if that horn has the same properties it will be incredible." Said the princess eager to discover new secrets.

"Out of curiosity..." Said Derw Doeth, who suddenly appeared. "Was that potion white?" Twilight nodded. "I’m familiar with that, it's very old, but it has nothing to do with the horn spell."

"Do you already have the potion, Derw Doeth?" Twilight asked.

"It's not really a potion, it's an infusion of herbs and other things that will help Sunset prepare her mind for her journey." The druid explained, perplexing those present.

"What do you mean? Are you going to drug her?”! Twilight asked scared.

"Drugging is not the word I would use, princess..." The druid said with a haughty smile. Trust me, I wouldn't do anything to put my granddaughter in danger. ” Derw Doeth walked over to where Sunset was to get his attention. "Sunset, leave me the horn, please." Sunset handed the horn to Derw Doeth and he filled it with the brew he had prepared. "We can start whenever you want."

"What is all this about?" Asked the fiery haired unicorn.

“At first you will experience some discomfort, but if you stay tuned to the sound of my voice everything will be fine. You will end up seeing certain events, those considered essential for your destiny. The Ogham will guide you… do you want to start?”

Sunset Shimmer looked at Twilight for a moment, like she was asking for advice. The princess of friendship looked at Sunset and after inspiring, she closed her eyes and when she opened them she nodded looking at her friend.

Sunset looked with her turquoise eyes at the horn and the smoking liquid that filled it, its scent did not exactly encourage consumption, but after a loud snort she began to drink.

Sunset whinnied at the bitter taste of the concoction. "For Celestia’s sake, who in his right mind could drink this?"

"Make an effort, please." Said Derw Doeth.

She resigned herself and continued to drink little by little due to how hot it was and the bitterness of the liquid. Once she finished the drink, her magic failed, and the horn fell to the ground. Sunset sat bolt upright on the earthy floor of the roundhouse and fastened her head with one of her hooves.

"Sunset, are you alright?" Twilight asked about to touch her friend.

"No, do not interfere, princess." Said Derw Doeth and stood in front of Sunset. "Sunset Shimmer, do you hear me?"

"Yes." She said staring at him.

"Okay, listen to the sound of my voice, don't listen to anything else." Derw Doeth pulled another strip of leather from its shelf, unfolded it, and displayed a symbol. It was a horizontal line with three perpendicular lines pointing down. “Look closely at this few. Visualize a rectangular bronze shield, in the center is the head of a pony, with a wise and solemn gaze, and surrounded by songbirds.”

Sunset seemed in a trance, but Derw Doeth knew she was listening to each and every one of his words. The shield shone in her mind, decorated with the head of a pony who seemed to look at her and the birds were singing happily. Derw Doeth hoped that the unicorn would have the power to bring magic out of the horn.

"Now look at this other few." The druid brought out another piece of leather and on it was another similar symbol, but with four perpendicular lines pointing, this time, upward . "Now visualize the branches of a hazel tree spread out over the curves of a stream, and a salmon leaping out of the water to catch a hazelnut in the air."

Sunset still barely blinked, she could feel the water flowing and the salmon jumping out. Twilight, Applejack, and Lir wondered if she was even conscious and kept their eyes on her.

"Let the Alder and the Hazelnut show you the way..." Said Derw Doeth.

Suddenly, the symbols engraved on the horn began to glow along with Sunset's own horn. A magical red aura began to surround the unicorn and she began to breathe heavily.

Twilight was beginning to worry about her friend, but she remembered Derw Doeth's words and hoped that the situation could end successfully.

Sunset's eyes began to tremble, and just as the red aura faded, Sunset fell to the ground...

"Sunset!" Twilight yelled.

The orange unicorn could hear her friend's scream, but all she felt was darkness around her. The noises she was hearing were soon muted, and for some reason replaced by others she couldn’t recognize.

Little by little, a beam of light appeared in the middle of the darkness. Sunset didn't know if she was conscious or unconscious. She didn't even know where she was, but a part of her urge her to go towards that light, something told her to follow those indescribable noises.

Slowly, she was able to make out various faded shapes as the light grew brighter and brighter, until finally everything around her took shape and the sounds became recognizable.

Sunset was in the middle of a battlefield...

Author's Note:

Hi there!
I know this is a short chapter, but I promise that the next one is much longer, I've almost finshed it!
Here some fun facts:
- The Fomóire were originaly gods of Death, darkness and chaos in Irish Celtic Mythology. They fought against the Tuatha Dé Danann to control Ireland.
- The Treasures are based in the Four Treasures of the Irish Mythological Cycle.
- I chose those fews because of the meaning. Fearn (the Alder) means the Spiritual Guide, the Inspiration; Coll the Hazel is the Wisdom, the Knowledge, the enlightenment...