• Published 26th May 2018
  • 7,909 Views, 7,460 Comments

Infinity Era - JDPrime22



Avengers: Infinity War / Avengers: Endgame crossover. The culmination has arrived. The Mad Titan has waited so long for this moment. Long live the Infinity Era.

  • ...
30
 7,460
 7,909

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 98 – This Isn’t Love

98

The Dragon Lands

Dragons’ Lair

5:39 p.m.

“Twilight…! Twilight, you gotta get up!”

The world was sideways when Twilight Sparkle opened her eyes. Ash and darkness rained from the fire in the clouds and the pillars of flame sprouted forth from the earth. Chaos and devastation filled the capital of the Dragon Lands, the skies dotted with dragons, changelings, Hippogriffs, griffons, and every other creature known to ponykind. Pockmarking the skies like a storm of buzzards. Furrowing her brow at that, Twilight could feel that painful ring finally leave her ear, allowing the mare to rise again, tilt the world back on its original axis.

Her left cheek was painted a sickly gray, mirroring that of the ash-covered earth she once laid against. On the horizon, with the sun beating down upon the world of Equus, a cataclysmic battle burned forth upon the earth. Every manner of hero, of creature, of living being with the will to continue on charged towards that horizon, in the heart of it all where the Mad Titan held them off one by one. The power of the Infinity Stones was unleashed upon their minuscule world, shattering the atmosphere, shredding the earth, every form of natural existence bending to Thanos’ will.

But around her, once her hearing was able to return, Twilight could only witness every last one of her closest friends picking themselves back up off the dirt, licking their wounds, and fighting through the pain. There was no other pony that emphasized that more than Rainbow Dash, a sickening gash on her right temple that spilled a river of red that mixed with the black soot painted on her face. She grit her teeth and shot out her wings, every manner of ignoring the pain and keeping the tears in. Applejack helped up Rarity, the unicorn stumbling on her hooves and clutching her forehead, but nonetheless nodding to her Earth pony friend. Starlight Glimmer and Pinkie Pie pulled Fluttershy off the ground, minding her wounded hind leg, but the Pegasus fighting through it all the same. Even through the tears. Spike walked about aimlessly, lost in the haze of ash and desolation, his gaze finally landing on Twilight and calling out to her.

Twilight!”

Crying to her.

Sunset pressed her hooves into Twilight’s shoulder, bringing the Alicorn back to the world and the state of it once more. Crying to her, “They need our help!”

The fiery mare shot her hoof clear across the battlefield, to which Twilight mindlessly followed as if time itself slowed to that of cold honey. And clear across those torn landscapes, fighting as if their life depended on it, the Avengers took the fight right to Thanos and his children. The Black Order was relentless, ensuring no defender of Earth ever reached their father.

Proxima Midnight made that her only goal, her line between life and death to allow none of the wretched humans a centimeter closer to Thanos. With her father fighting his own battles, he needed every means possible to attain victory. The more bodies were thrown his way, the further he was pushed from that victory, that destiny. To assure her father’s clarity of that victory, she held them off. Every last one of them that tried.

Black Panther was tackled from the side, his line of sight to the Titan cut off when Proxima threw him to the earth. His vengeance against the one who invaded his home—undoubtedly led it to its destruction—would not go without retribution. But even then, there was still another, one who dared to stand in the path of the Black Panther. When T’Challa kicked her off and quickly rose from the ground, his eyes narrowed to see the alien woman jut her spear forward, the three-pointed ends directed at his chest, a fierce snarl leaving the child of Thanos.

T’Challa unsheathed his claws.

Proxima Midnight screamed a ferocious war cry.

They charged and the two warriors clashed. She stabbed with her spear leading, T’Challa knocking the end of the spear aside and slicing upwards for her jugular. Intent on seeing her life blood fly in the air and paint the ash crimson, T’Challa growled to see her lean backwards at the last second, his claws only shredding an inch off her flowing, blue bangs. But other than that, still alive. Still dangerously accurate. She spun in mid-air, reared the blade on the other end of her spear upwards, jamming it down and striking the Panther on his right shoulder. Deadly precision, a guaranteed kill shot.

The alien metal struck the solid vibranium weave and did nothing more than that. T’Challa gripped the spear by its handle, ripped it away, and drove his left fist directly across Midnight’s face. Proxima was down for the count, the Panther pouncing forward with claws at the ready, ready to end the fight in his favor. Unfortunately, even he didn’t expect to see the energy blast escape her spear. And when it was too late, it struck his abdomen with such ferocity that T’Challa was launched backwards, landing flat on his chest and fighting to get back up.

Black Panther pressed his elbows into the dirt, leaning back and gazing to his abdomen, witnessing with shock continuously growing in his widening eyes his vibranium suit nearly melted away, the Panther Habit having reacted accordingly to the unknown energy blast that struck it. T’Challa instantly recalled the moment Ulysses Klaue fired his robotic arm cannon onto his suit, the vibranium technology breaking down and suffering from the blow. That moment was no different now. The suit slowly repaired itself but it was far too slow. The child of Thanos had a means to break through his suit. She had a means.

T’Challa could only look up to react to that cry, watch as Proxima Midnight descended upon him with that spear high over her head. He flinched only when that strike of lightning shot out across his vision, filled the air with electricity of which T’Challa had never felt before. That bolt struck Proxima on her right side, knocking her out of the air and several yards away from the Panther’s prone position.

On his left, T’Challa slowly turned to gaze upon his savior. He never expected the unicorn to be the one standing there, haphazardly breathing with every intake appearing like a struggle for her. Her forelegs wobbled, her eyelids twitched and her body shivered. From her horn, that electricity coursed and sparked across her forehead, but it was untamed. Uncontrollable. Broken. As was her horn and the pony it came from. Every second of its power seemed to be a torment unlike any other for Tempest Shadow.

T’Challa could only stare at her, at the pain in her face. At her shattered horn.

Then she was taken just like he was.

Proxima Midnight swiftly lunged towards the quivering unicorn with a claw outstretched, catching Tempest by her throat and dragging her several yards across the sharpened, splintered rocks upon the earth. Although her armor protected her from such, it never could have prevented that lack of oxygen, the forceful pressure placed on her neck once they came to a screeching halt. With her back pressed to the ground, Tempest could only gaze upwards to the snarling expression of Proxima Midnight. Her long, blue hair dangled over her face, but never able to conceal that ferocity. That bloodlust glowing in her red glare.

Tempest raised her hooves and gripped Proxima’s forearm, utilizing her remaining strength to pry her off, release the grip around her throat and bring that precious oxygen back into her lungs. Even that began to fade along with her strength, the unicorn’s vision beginning to darken like the clouds in the sky, a blurred version of Midnight glaring down over her. In a last-ditch effort to free herself, Tempest used what remained of her willpower to bring forth one last spell. The electricity coursed through her horn, escaped as a mere spark, but died.

Died alongside her fight as Tempest Shadow gave in. The pain was so overwhelming upon her broken horn that Tempest could do nothing to fight against it. She always fought hard against the cries of her body, her mind, pushing herself to the limit every single time to ensure that victory. But not anymore. She let the darkness overcome her vision as the sparks faded away from her horn. Every last one of them. Leaving nothing but a unicorn giving her last breath as Proxima choked the life away.

Natasha Romanoff grunted heavily as she drove her staff across Midnight’s forehead, launching the Black Order member away from Tempest, freeing the unicorn and allowing her to take in the biggest intake of air she ever could. As Proxima struck the earth back-first, she quickly shot out her feet and caught the Black Widow mid-pounce, striking her square in the abdomen. As Natasha lost her breath, she felt herself hauled completely over and kicked free from Midnight’s prone position. Natasha hit the ground with a painful thump, the Widow groaning and rolling to her side. The moment her eyes were opened was the moment she raised her staff.

The child of Thanos growled with feral and malicious intent as she approached the wounded Natasha. A short blade extended from her right wrist, Proxima jamming it downwards right for the Widow’s face, intent on seeing a lacerated pound of flesh and skull beneath her by the time she was finished. But Natasha was persistent, lifting her staff to block Midnight’s strike from coming an inch closer. Even that didn’t last, the tip of the blade lowering as Natasha’s strength began to face. Her eye twitched over to the tip, pupil shrinking to see it descending.

With Proxima Midnight having no intent to stop from what Natasha saw in the swirling chaos in her eyes. A chaos… that surely died the moment Proxima’s movements were not her own.

Her pupils shrank like Natasha’s had feeling that electric current course over her body. She couldn’t move. She couldn’t even close her jaw as that electricity caught her nerves and froze her on the spot. Proxima Midnight gasped as she felt herself rise from the ground. It was the only sound she could possibly attempt before she was silenced by the dragon’s jaw chomping down on her.

Natasha could only watch on from her backside as Proxima was launched right from the earth by an unknown force, flung into the air where the awaiting jaws of a dragon caught her. A sickening crunch filled the air, doused instantly by the wingbeat of the gargantuan dragon and followed with the beast’s ferocious roars filling the heavens. It flew off after that, into battle to engage the Titan alongside its dragon kin.

A moment of silence filled the air before it was inevitably filled with the sounds of war. When Natasha pushed herself off the ground, she saw Tempest Shadow sitting like she was: a drained expression and a broken body. It filled the unicorn’s face and features, the final sparks from her horn falling and dying as Tempest slowly breathed. She never thought she could miss breathing before it was almost taken from her. That gaze eventually turned to Romanoff, the Black Widow never once taking her eyes off the unicorn that saved her life.

Even with Proxima’s blood painted on the side of her face, she smirked.

Something Tempest couldn’t even manage by the time she fell back and passed out.

He never even knew his beloved was dead. Corvus Glaive fought off the oncoming strikes from Steve Rogers with just as much fury and brutality as he ever had before. Steve blocked the swing from his glaive, driving his fist forward and punching Corvus square in the forehead. The alien howled at that, stumbling backwards and giving Steve all the room he needed. Shaking his head to regain as much sense and perceptibility as possible, Corvus reacted quickly and raised his glaive to block the kick from Rogers.

Steve flipped through the air, gaining momentum for his right leg as he swung it fiercely down, right down the middle, of the precious weapon Corvus held. It snapped in half, Corvus gazing horrifically to the two ends of his glaive before Steve drove his boot dead center in his chest. The child of Thanos was practically thrown on his back, the two ends of the glaive bouncing across the rocks as Steve broke the distance and straddled the alien.

His punch was caught by Corvus, the Black Order member’s right fist flying upwards and striking Rogers right on his chin. The punch was strong enough to shatter any normal man’s jawline, but Steve walked out of it with just a trickle of blood flowing from his bottom lip. Not necessarily walked, considering Steve fell on his back from the force of the punch. Just as he was about to rise, Steve instantly caught his breath as that claw was forcibly thrust into his throat, tightening by the second, cutting off his airway and earning several agony-filled gasps for air. Rogers clutched Corvus’ forearm, but was unable to break the grip. Glaive narrowed his glare, tightened his wrist, and pushed further and further until…

Steve shut his eyes as the black liquid sprayed over his face. Corvus’ expression fell, his glare faded, and his breath left him as the sharpened end of his own glaive tore through his backside and escaped right through his chest. Destroying anything in-between.

As the blood trickled down from Glaive’s mouth, Steve grunted as he pushed the deceased alien’s corpse off of him, the body landing on his left and remaining there. With that dealt with, Steve maintained his breathing once again and turned to his guardian angel. A pleasant and welcoming sight to see Rainbow Dash hovering above, breathing just as heavily as him with the same amount of alien blood painted on her hooves.

He nodded appreciatively. She offered a weak smile in return.

The Ebony Maw witnessed his siblings fall one by one, unable to do much in return as he had his own struggles to conquer. As well as dealing with the pestering filth trying to overcome his father, the Maw was currently locked in a battle for dominance against the burning creature that just didn’t know when to die. He threw nearly everything he had at it, from pillars of jagged rock to every sharpened gemstone within his will. He stabbed, lacerated, crushed, impaled, did everything that would have killed anything with a beating heart.

But the Ghost Rider would not be conquered.

It would not be denied.

It pushed through every fire and storm and faced the unholy with a burning vengeance.

Ebony crossed his arms, clenched his fists, and showed his snarl as the fragments of sharpened rock fired at the Rider with the speeds rivaling that of bullets, like the aftermath of an explosion sending shrapnel in every which direction. But his intent was deliberate, the shards firing off and slicing right through the approaching Spirit with malicious devastation. They tore through the Rider’s dark jacket, leaving several dark pellets upon its front and exiting its back. It stomped forward, narrowing its burning glare as the fragments disintegrated when they neared its skull.

He was growing desperate, the Maw ripping forth a massive boulder high above his head and bringing it right back down upon the earth, right where the Rider approached him. To his continued shock, Ebony Maw only witnessed his boulder exploded into a million burning fragment, the fist of the Ghost Rider jutting outwards where the rock met it. Lowering its fist, the Spirit of Vengeance glared upon the child of Thanos hovering high above. It snorted, flames dancing hellishly off its face.

Ghost Rider unsheathed its Hellfire Chain, the metal igniting into a fierce firestorm as the Rider waved it high and around its head, whipping it back and launching its flaming end towards the essence of its fury. The Maw could do nothing more as that wicked chain wrapped around him with speeds even he couldn’t comprehend, the undeniable leader of the Black Order reduced to a mere fool before the beast of which he could not fight against. Of all the creatures of the universe he had slain for the Great Titan, not one was able to best him and his power.

But when that chain tightened around him and he felt the fires of Hell burn against his body, he felt that. He felt it deep within his damned soul and he screamed because of it. Then he was yanked forward, off his pedestal of swirling rock fragments and brought down to the earth, to reality itself, and forced into the Rider’s hands.

More importantly, its eyes.

For as long as he had served Thanos, the Maw had witnessed every horror the galaxy could offer. From the crumbling of entire civilizations, to the slaughter of numbers incomprehensible to the mind. He had fought and served through every tragedy, every bloodshed, every slaughter and never once questioned what might be. He lived through it all and bore a smile on his face as long as his father was pleased. But when he gazed in those eyes… all of it came back.

And he finally saw it for what it truly was.

“Your eyes…” the Ghost Rider growled, every wretched growl from Hell emanating in its voice. It gripped the Maw by his throat, the alien gasping for air, fighting to be free, but couldn’t even move once his eyes finally fell into the demon’s grasp. Its eyes glowed a violent orange, the flames swirling, digging, unearthing what even the Maw knew not of. “Your soul… damned to the core.”

The Hellfire Chain retracted like a living serpent, returning to the Rider. But even then, the Maw didn’t move. He just couldn’t. Even when the Rider narrowed that distance, tightened its jaw, and snorted flames right into his face.

“Guilty.”

The Spirit of Vengeance opened its eyes and the Penance Stare was unfurled. The child of Thanos screamed, his eyes bursting into flames as those fires quickly ate away at what remained. Ebony, with his dying strength, clenched his fist before it burnt to ash. The Rider heard a horrific crack from above, its burning eyes shrinking and its head darting skywards. The scream of the air itself prompted the Rider’s eyes to the massive pillar of decimated metal descending upon him. A chunk of a Chitauri Command Center, from the very remains they battled near. The Ghost Rider raised its arms just as the mighty tower fell on it, bursting the earth inwards and causing a devastating sinkhole to emerge upon the impact zone.

Tony Stark witnessed the tower of alien metal careening in his direction, the Iron Man dodging to the far left just as it fell behind him, missing him by mere feet. As he watched the tower strike the earth on its side and kick up a storm of dust, Stark quickly brought his attention forward, downward, where three particular mares were engaged in close combat with the largest member of the Black Order.

Cull Obsidian roared as he swung his axe into the ground, Sunset Shimmer vanishing away at the last second the axe head impaled the rock beneath her. The alien goliath flinched as the weak spell impacted his left, the beats turning in that direction and witnessing a wounded Starlight Glimmer clutching her forehead, rubbing furiously to regain just an ounce of control and power from her weakened horn. It all amounted to nothing when she opened her eyes and gasped, jumping back as Obsidian slammed his retractable shield upon the earth where she stood. The rocks flew into her face, Starlight shielding her eyes but unable to shield anything else as Cull ripped his own shield out of the rock and drove it across her face.

Starlight screamed as she flew across the air, impacting an erected pillar of gemstone and bouncing painfully off of it. She struck the ground with an agonizing thump and yelp, the mare trying to rise as the blurred image of Cull Obsidian approached her. His shield retracted back on his wrist, a large blade unsheathing upon that same fist and the beast huffing as it charged her prone form. And she could do nothing to stop him. Not even a teleportation spell.

She didn’t need to do a thing. Once Obsidian leapt through the air towards her, Tony rammed right into him with his own shoulder. Cull struck the rocks and bounced off of them, sliding to a painful halt several yards away. With nanotech wings extended from his backside, Tony brought forth a nanotech energy blade in his right arm and a Nano Repulsor Cannon in his left. Cull Obsidian got back up. Neither one hesitated.

“You got his rear?!” Tony called out, jetting forward and firing a devastating blast from his Repulsor Cannon onto the beast. Cull blocked the blast with his shield and grabbed him with his hammer, the locking mechanism clutching Stark within its grasp. He spun him around, tossing Iron Man clear into a destroyed Chitauri starship.

“I’ve got him!” Sunset called out when she reappeared in a flash behind Obsidian, lassoing his legs in a bright red aura. The beast grunted in confusion, looking downwards to witness his legs constrained by an unknown force, preventing him from even moving. He couldn’t even turn to meet the unicorn responsible, but even then, that was the least of his worries.

“Okay, hold him down! Hold him down!” Twilight yelled from above, her wings flapping furiously and her horn burning brightly once she fired a single beam of magical energy onto Cull’s backside. The beast roared at her, tossing his axe’s head straight for the Alicorn. Twilight cut off her spell, dodging just in time as the chain flew past her. Just in time to witness the spell shoot upwards and blow the chain clean off the axe head.

Cull Obsidian looked to his handle, noticing the broken chain and the lack of an axe. Both he and Twilight turned accordingly to the source of the attack, seeing Starlight standing tall, despite the blood and the bruises, and glaring right at the last member of the Black Order. Then she fired at him, unleashing every last bit of her magical strength right into his chest. It took more from her than she realized, the mare never noticing the cracks growing against her horn as she fought through the tears.

Twilight aided her, firing down on Cull’s backside. Obsidian roared, trying to block the attacks with his shield, but he simply couldn’t. He was getting attacked on both fronts, unable to fight with that kind of odds. It especially didn’t help when Iron Man flew overhead, jutting both palms outwards and unleashing two repulsor beams right on top of him. Sunset was the last to join, her added magic able to push Obsidian down to his knees, his body overheating due to the onslaught of energy pushed against him. His armor was beginning to melt against the intensity, his hardened shell of a skin flaring and burning as the beast tried desperately to block it all with his arms.

“Do it, Tony!” Twilight cried, still holding her magic strong.

The moment Twilight shouted that, Tony broke off. He lowered his arms, only raising his left with a miniature missile joining it. A perfect lock. He fired. The rocket flew forth from his wrist and struck Obsidian dead in the burning chest, the screaming from Cull Obsidian dull against the resounding explosion that encompassed his very being.

Twilight shielded her face from the brightness and the heat. Sunset backed away as well, lifting a foreleg to block her eyes from the intensity of the light. Starlight’s eyes rolled into the back of her head, the mare falling to the dirt. When the smoke faded, all that was left of Cull Obsidian was the handle of an axe. Nothing else.

Tony hit the earth, his mask turning to Twilight, Starlight, and Sunset. Starlight clutched her head in pain, her horn, while Sunset tended to her. Twilight breathed steadily as she fluttered downwards and touched ground, gazing to the lone axe handle and sighing at that. “That was the last of them?” she asked, eyes shifting over to the Iron Man.

Stark nodded, his expressionless Iron Man mask turning towards the horizon. “Yeah, that just leaves…”

The mares turned in accordance to Stark’s trailing tone. Their hearts instantly dropped the moment they spotted the Titan himself standing amongst the desolation that surrounded him.

Dead dragons shimmed under the light of the afternoon sun. They weren’t alone by any means. Changelings scattered about against the earth, joining countless griffons and even more Hippogriffs. Dragon Lord Ember’s helmet was pressed firmly upon the dirt, half of it shattered, the Dragon Lord nowhere to be found. Celestia’s spear was shattered, lying near Novo’s golden helmet. The remains of the Hippogriff naval ships burned in the distance, blotting the skies in a sickness unknown to the world of Equus, a sickness of burning metal and bodies. Towers of smoke filled the clouds and blackened them, but unable to stop the sunlight from breaching the clouds and reaching the land. And in the heart of it all, the Mad Titan stood.

Holding off against his two daughters.

Nebula attacked with such raw ferocity, screaming bloody murder with every swipe and strike from her Electroshock Baton onto the one she so dearly despised. The one who took practically everything from her and who she was. There was no argument as to why she fought what remained of her heart out. Everything she did to push against him mattered more than anything else. To her, it was more than just a fight to save half the universe.

Gamora didn’t want to fall in the same boat, knowing that if she let her emotions take control she would lose that focus on the fight, become as irrational and unresponsive as Nebula. But it was already too late. Thanos knocked Gamora aside with his left forearm, the Zehoberei flailing through the air before she came to a painful crash upon the dirt, sliding to a stop and lying there. Thanos’ intent wasn’t to harm her, but to halt her. The hit was as soft as he could manage, but as deliberate as to keep her down. He didn’t share the same amount of restrictions for his… other daughter.

He caught her Electroshock Baton with his open right palm, the Titan cringing as the electricity coursed across his entire wrist. Grinding his teeth at that, Thanos ripped the baton from her grip, driving his boot into Nebula’s chest and sending her careening across the gravel and ash. He tossed the baton aside, his glare only on Nebula’s wounded form as she desperately tried to rise again. She seethed as the pain rocked her veins and circuits, overloading her senses with nothing but raw agony. When she turned where she laid, Nebula witnessed her father approach her slowly, the fire in his eyes unable to be quenched. He clenched his fist and ignited all five Infinity Stones, pointing the Gauntlet at her, intending on ending what he should have long ago.

But as with her rebellious spirit, she had but another word to say.

“You can’t win,” Nebula growled.

He stopped, annoyance infected with the curiosity. He never turned the Gauntlet from her, but remained silent to let her speak her final words. He almost cursed himself for allowing that.

“Without all the Infinity Stones… you’ll always lose,” Nebula hissed, fist to the earth, hatred to her father. Her eyes showed nothing else. “Don’t you see it? There’s no other way this is going to end… but you being denied the only thing you love!”

Her screams went without response for the longest respite. There was no clear recovery from it. Thanos lowered the Infinity Gauntlet, his left arm swaying by his side, all five Stones dimming to nothing. From the madness of war, the severity of it all, Thanos had nearly let his hatred and rage blind him from what truly mattered. Yes, they tried to take the Gauntlet from him—multiple times—and thus denying him of what he so rightly deserved. But for the majority of the battle, he had remained relatively stable, able to hold his ground and protect himself from any foe who turned their sword to him. There were moments, however… where he froze.

Whenever she confronted him… Thanos stumbled. He hesitated. He resisted the urge to defend himself and raise his arms against her offenses because it was her. It was his daughter. His successor. His finest warrior and favorite of her siblings. The one who excelled beyond any other under his watchful eyes. The one who triumphed over every world they invaded, brought back the spoils just to please him, and earn that smile of gratitude. Earn that respect that Thanos very rarely gave. It was her… the one who broke away and wounded his heart, followed her own quest, her own life, and denied him every step of the way. After everything he gave her. After giving her his own heart… Thanos watched time and time again as she simply threw it away.

He still held it to that day, that hour, that second, for all time and even when he would pass… he would still love her as the true child he never had.

Thanos looked to the Infinity Gauntlet, to the open indent open its face. So barren. So cold. So empty… unlike his heart that still beat with life and love unlike ever before. He closed his eyes, fresh tears stinging his eyes and threatening to fall. He laid his right palm over the Gauntlet, blocking that last indent even though his eyes were closed. He still felt it all the same, that pestering feeling upon his palm and reminding him…

“No other way…”

He opened his eyes and turned around. To Gamora’s wounded form. As she pushed herself up, she stared back, that dreaded glare bright in her eyes. That fire still alive and ever-growing. Never ending. Forever hating him despite all the love he gave her. Thanos blinked, a fresh tear escaping him.

“A soul… for a soul.”

Thanos approached her where she lay, Gamora pulling herself back to her feet and raising her fists, a last desperate attempt to resist him. Her fire wasn’t nearly as strong as Nebula’s, but Thanos admired it all the same. He wanted to admire it, but there was only depth to his dread, no end in sight as every step closer reminded him of that wretched thought. That final end that he just couldn’t seem to see. It infected him. Killed him. He walked anyway.

Stopped directly in front of her, a distance separated by mere feet. Gamora stood strong, breathed ragged breaths, but nonetheless reminded silent for what he would say. Listening… as it dawned upon her in the worst possible way.

“The Soul Stone demands a sacrifice… of that which I truly love,” Thanos explained, clenching both fists and looking nowhere else but into her eyes. Watched as her fists fell, her jaw dropped, and the realization filled her senses. It became especially evident—truer to her than she ever realized prior—when that tear slipped down his cheek. “Of whom… I truly love.”

Gamora’s fists fell.

She took a soft step back.

Thanos took a step forward.

“No… you can’t do this,” Gamora gasped, chest rising at a horrific speed. Adrenaline filled her tone and aided her senses, the woman ready to run at a moment’s notice. Still, she stood what little ground she had all the same, despite backing away. Tried to convince him of his folly, his falsehoods, his failed beliefs and tell him…

“This isn’t love.”

He only took another step forward, pausing momentarily to state, “I ignored my destiny once. I cannot do that again. Even… for you.”

Gamora’s lower lips quivered. It broke Thanos’ heart, right down the middle. Right in half.

“I’m sorry, little one.”

Thanos held out his hand towards her, but she ran. Gamora ran with every pulsating strength in her heart, as far away from him as possible. She had no other means to fight him with, no other power on that world or the other or even the universe that could stand against him. All she could do was get as far away from his possible. Like she had before.

Thanos severed the distance by severing her legs with the Reality Stone, the painless process removing Gamora’s legs and causing her to fall to the earth. Coughing roughly at the dirt in her lungs, Gamora turned around, gasping in horror to see her legs simply… gone. And in shadows of her vision there he walked, her father continuously approaching her with only one intent in mind. The pain in his face and the inability to quit was still there. Never leaving him.

And still she tried to get away, finding her means by crawling through the dirt and rock, crying out with every agonizing inch of ground she covered. A cry of pain. A cry for help.

Help came.

In every last form.

Sam Wilson swooped downwards, unloading his last magazines directly into the Mad Titan and screaming every second he did so. Thanos destroyed his wings with the Power Stone, the Falcon crumbling shoulder-first to the ground and rolling out of sight. Sunburst and Capper charged forward, the unicorn firing off his strongest spell and the anthropomorphic cat leaping for the Titan’s throat. Thanos caught Capper by his own, tossing the feline directly into Sunburst and blowing them both aside with the Space Stone. Wong and his army of sorcerers led the next assault, the Wand of Watoomb slamming into the earth and ripping the ground apart where Thanos walked. The Titan froze them all where they stood with the Time Stone, briskly walking past them.

The Punisher roared as he charged forth with an LMG, holding the trigger and unloading everything he had onto Thanos. Daredevil rushed forward and tossed his billy club right between Thanos’ eyes. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Danny Rand all ran right for him, intent on defending Gamora with their lives. The Iron Fist led Danny’s punch, but Thanos ended it all with the Power Stone, the shock wave knocking all of their feeble attempts away and swatting them like flies. Like insignificant children trying to gain his attention. James Barnes followed suit, the Energy Shield lighting to life on his left arm and the White Wolf charging with that. Thanos blew him aside with the Power Stone, Barnes flipping through the air and crashing in the dirt alongside Rand and Cage.

Trixie hovered from the earth, her cloak swaying in the wind she created. Her horn burned and she fired her strongest spell. It bounced right off Thanos’ gauntlet, the Titan ripping the rocks right from beneath her with the Reality Stone and dragging her back to the ground, consuming her under its fold. She cried out to Maud and Derpy, the two mares already engaged with the Titan. Maud used her Asteroid Gloves to rip chunks of earth and fling them right at Thanos. Derpy fired her Domino Gun, the lightning-like bolts striking the earth and centering on her only target. Thanos kept the Reality Stone bright, the lightning bolts breaking off and returning to her. Right into her and Maud’s chests. The two fell to the dirt, Thanos walking past them, both of their eyes slowly falling.

Friday and Deathlok were the next in line to defend Gamora, rushing past the Guardian and unloading everything they had. Deathlok fired his rockets from his wrists, Friday blasting forward with a fist leading her. Thanos swatted her with the Gauntlet, the Mark 45 breaking apart and numerous limbs scattering about across the ground. Thanos returned fire on Agent Peterson, firing a blast from the Power Stone directly into the ground he stood upon, ripping him right from it. Groot and Rocket followed, the adolescent driving his arms into the earth and covering Thanos in several vines. The Titan broke away from them, using the Space Stone to throw both the raccoon and the tree from his line of sight.

James Rhodes hovered from above, releasing every missile, every bullet, everything in his arsenal onto the Mad Titan beneath him. Thanos caught all of it within the Space Stone, clenching his fist even further and capturing War Machine within it. James caught his breath as his suit crumbled like tinfoil within Thanos’ will, the Titan tossing the War Machine armor aside like the other hindrances in his path. James struck a stone erected from the earth, the crumpled suit rolling to a stop. They just kept coming. Thanos kept his expression cold, emotionless, and hard. Not needing anything else to get in the way of his destiny.

Even when Twilight Sparkle and her eight friends followed her into battle. Every last one of them, from Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer, and Spike. They all charged him and gave him everything they had. The Alicorn and unicorns fired every spell they had, the Pegasi flew from the air and dived at him, the Earth ponies upon the earth and ready to buck him—save for Pinkie who ripped out her party cannon and filled it with who knows what. Even Spike flew from above, breathing in deep and releasing a torrent of fire upon Thanos’ head.

He ended it all with the Power Stone. Every spell was blocked, every Pegasi thrown to the earth, every Earth pony lifted off the ground, and every flame doused as the wave of energy washed over them and knocked them down. It was so strong that none of them got back up, allowing Thanos safe passage through. There she was, still trying to crawl away. With the constant distractions, Thanos hadn’t realized that Peter Quill had arrived to her aid, dragging her away to keep her from him. Thanos’ face nearly broke, his steps quickening, every stomp upon the rock stabbing him further and further.

Thunder roared overhead, Thanos lazily looking up to see the King of Asgard flying from above with a cape of lightning flapping behind him. Thor cried out with every agonizing last cry from the Asgardians the Titan slaughtered, driving his fist straight for Thanos’ head. Instead, his lightning was killed by the Reality Stone. He was caught by the Titan’s grasp and punched so severely, so devastatingly that when he hit the ground, he was out cold in an instant. Thor could only stare on, his last good eye watching as Thanos stepped over him and continued forward. Then darkness overcame the light of fury he once had, nothing but a pathetic sense of feeling eating away at the God of Thunder.

Finally realizing he wasn’t strong enough to beat him.

Iron Man flew forward and landed between Gamora and Thanos, driving his palms out and firing two repulsor beams onto the Mad Titan. Once more, they connected with the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos unrelenting in his pursuit and walking right through it. The repulsors melted away off his gauntlet, Tony Stark desperately losing that ground. When he finally did, Thanos knocked his arms aside and fired the Power Stone right into his Arc Reactor. He flew right over Steve Rogers, the first and last Avenger to stand up to the Titan. Sliding first to dodge Stark, then rising up to meet Thanos with quick, precise, and devastating punches. One in his gut, another in his chin, and a third across his cheek.

Peter held Gamora by her arm, his free hand digging against the gravel and drawing his own blood to do so. He didn’t care. He fought through every shred of pain in order to keep Gamora safe. And just seeing Thanos trying to get to her, that prompted Quill to fight on. His mask was gone and his other hand gripped a lone Quad Blaster, soon touched by her hand.

“Peter!” Gamora cried out. “Wait!”

Stubborn as always, Quill shook his head, digging his feet against the ground and continuously dragging Gamora forward, away, as far from her father as possible. “I have to get you out of here!” he shouted, not even turning her way.

“No, you don’t!” Gamora screamed, prying at his hand and pulling his grip off of her. Peter fell forward as his hand was pried from her, gazing back to see Gamora crash on the dirt and gravel. Cursing at that, Quill ran forward and scooped her up, but Gamora pushed him away, palms pressed to his chest, eyes to his own. “Peter… it’s time.”

He furrowed his brow, left palm gripping the Quad Blaster even tighter. “What are you talking about?”

A part of him knew what she was talking about. A part of him knew but refused to acknowledge the tone of her voice, the shrill of her cry. Especially when she pushed herself off the dirt, straightening to a position that met Peter on his eye level. On his knee. The tears blotted her vision, her face crumbling to the point that Peter had to listen to her. Had to listen to himself.

“You promised!”

Steve caught the Infinity Gauntlet between his hands. Thanos felt that, his confusion gripping his facial features to the point far beyond that of mere annoyance. He narrowed his frown to the mere mortal man holding his gauntlet, holding his strength far greater than any other. And he screamed. Steve Rogers screamed as he somehow, someway, held against the strongest tide. Fought against the greatest threat. Stood against Thanos.

“We can’t stop him… but we can’t let Thanos win, either. If he gets his hands on me, the Soul Stone is his!” Gamora cried, tears now freely flowing down her cheeks.

The wind tugged at Peter’s hair, simple locks unable to block the red in his eyes, the despair on his face. The total loss of life in his soul. “What do you want me to…?” He already knew… just didn’t want to say it, admit it, bring himself to do it.

Her hands fell to his left hand. Peter closed his eyes. No.

She lifted him up, aimed the Quad Blaster directly into her face. No.

Broke her hands away and let Peter do the rest. Only he couldn’t. He couldn’t—no matter what will of him was left—bring himself to follow on his word. His facial features twitched in clear agitation, the heated wind blowing into his face. He refused. He refused to look at her and face that pain, that torment, see the tears on her face that tried to convince him otherwise. After losing his mother, taken from Earth, killing his own father, Peter Quill just couldn’t take another. Couldn’t lose another… despite what he promised to Gamora and swore on his… his…

He just didn’t know if he would come back if he did.

Finally, he opened his eyes, stared down the sights of his gun aimed right for her. Her tears, her fears, her plight and her strife… all of it showering down her face and through her voice that cried out to him, begged him, “Please, Peter, you promised!”

Thanos had enough. Rearing his right fist back, he drove it directly into the man’s face. Steve Rogers, having risen above so much prior, lost his voice and fell to the mighty hand of the Great Titan. He laid upon the rock and ash, leaving just Thanos surrounded by a sea of bodies. Unmoving. No longer in his path. His eyes softened and he took in that needed breath of air. He didn’t care if it hurt. It always did.

Peter forced himself not to care if it hurt. It always did. It always would. Because no matter how hard he tried, he would always just see the woman he fought, the woman he saved, the woman he danced with, the woman he lied with, the woman he cared so much for on the end of his gun. There could never be a power to force himself to see anything else.

He just saw Gamora.

She saw the man… “I love you… more than anything,” Gamora whimpered, holding that weak smile despite everything. To help him. To calm him. To allow him to follow through…

Quill had never seen her so strong, felt himself be so weak. He couldn’t stare at her as he did it—as he did what he must to save the universe—not even as the tears tried to blind him. With a tear slipping, he said, “I love you, too.”

He shut his eyes the same moment Gamora had, grit his teeth as she did, and forced every nerve in his body to give strength to his left finger. To do what needed to be done.

He pulled the trigger.

Then briefly witnessed bubbles escape the barrel of his gun.

The rest of the Quad Blaster morphed into a plethora of bubbles, a familiar but horrifying sound emerging forth from it. As if every pop created that same essence, that same chime that both Peter and Gamora dreaded to hear. Peter Quill could only gaze to his hand in unknown horror, slowly lift his gaze back to her once more.

A large, purple hand fell on Gamora’s shoulder, Quill’s eyes trailing further upwards. Gamora quivered as she felt that presence behind her, eyes gazing nowhere forward, her mouth unable to close as the breathless whimpers escaped her. Quill never even noticed Thanos standing behind Gamora before it was too late, and when it was too late, he knew it. When Thanos just stared at him, a slight smidgen of admiration in his eyes before he vanished.

Through the black and blue portal with Gamora in tow.

Leaving the disheveled, shaken Peter Quill on his knee, trying to breathe again.

Behind where Thanos once stood, several wounded bodies began to rise back up, Twilight and her friends looking about frantically. They cried out, demanded to know where Thanos was. He was gone, and Gamora with him, Twilight’s eyes falling to the lone Star-Lord on his knee. Then her eyes—all of their eyes—shot upwards to see Doctor Stephen Strange hovering above.

Listened to him declare, “Through the portal, all of you!”

Her curiosity was spiked, especially when that familiar orange portal sparked to life behind her and her friends, a swirling vortex that showcased a burning wasteland shrouded in orange on the other side. Furrowing her brow at that, Twilight twisted her neck back to Strange to understand where exactly he was sending them. And it was clear by her expression that she wouldn’t move until she got an explanation.

He said all he could. “Thanos is on Earth! He’s going to get the Soul Stone!”

That was more than enough.

Gasping, Twilight spun viciously around and took off at a full gallop towards the portal. The rest of her friends followed. Despite the wounds, despite the cuts, the bruises, everything… they picked themselves and raced each other to the portal, knowing only that they needed to stop Thanos by any means necessary. Twilight was trailed closely by Applejack, then Sunset, Starlight, Pinkie with Spike riding her, Rarity, Fluttershy, and finally Rainbow Dash. She was the first inside the portal that led to another planet, flying by with the rest following shortly.

And then it was cut off, shut, killed. Closed away just as Iron Man jetted forward with full intent to enter behind them. Only he couldn’t. He flew forward and pressed his feet firmly to the earth, skidding for several yards before shooting his head back wildly. His mask materialized away, revealing that bleeding nose and temple, but most of all revealed the shock in his eyes. The confusion. The betrayal. Especially when he gazed skywards.

The rest of the Avengers were not far behind, all of them slowing to a stop when the portal died. The Guardians of the Galaxy—what was left of them—were with them, Peter Quill slowing himself and deactivating his Jet Boots. His feet touched upon solid ground, once again, Star-Lord glaring to where the portal used to shine bright, now leaving just the devastated landscape of the Dragons’ Lair. He, too, turned his ferocity to the sky, to the lone Sorcerer Supreme hanging over their heads and holding out his hands to them.

Then watched as those hands turned into shivering fists.

Then listened to him say, “I can’t let you through. Just them.”


Earth

The Nation of Wakanda

Mount Bashenga

12:44 a.m.

The portal died the instant they set hoof and claw on Earth. In the nation of Wakanda, no less. Twilight expected the grandest of cities overlooking the massive African continent, tales of grand lineage passed down from generation to generation, the lands of which they walked upon being the world of the future. It was what Shuri and T’Challa always told her it was.

It wasn’t. The nation of Wakanda was a burning hellscape of pure desolation. The lands that surrounded them were filled with scorched bodies of alien and demon descent. Smoke filled the edges of the nation, covered the mountains like a dark blanket, all leading up to the horrific storm clouds above. They swirled about directly over the vibranium mound, a gargantuan eye in the heart of the storm colored a bright, alien orange that cascaded its glow upon the lands, giving light to the early morning hour. Like a second sun. Thunder roared above and lightning clashed in the distance, threatening a storm. But they didn’t pay attention to that. Their only concern lied at the top of Mount Bashenga.

Thanos. His back to them. His head low and his eyes gazing nowhere else but the bottom of the Great Mound. Twilight felt a sudden wave of unease wash over her, her teeth tight and showing as the Alicorn galloped up the hill with her friends right behind her. Never stopping. Never ceasing. Never giving up and calling out to him…

Wait!”

He didn’t even move.

The mares all fell in line, Twilight leading the pack and keeping a safe ten-foot distance between herself and the Titan. Her friends, herself included, all breathed rather raggedly, looking nowhere else but where Thanos stood. On the edge. Spike hopped off of Pinkie and chose to stand with Twilight, joining Sunset Shimmer and Rainbow Dash. All of them held that stance like they were at the ready, fully willing to charge the Titan at a moment’s notice. But for some reason… they all waited. Waited on Twilight’s word.

And what she said to him. “You don’t… have to do this,” Twilight told him, hoof outstretched to Thanos’ backside. Not a movement from him. “We can work this out, Thanos. I know you’ve lost… far more than any of us ever could… but you’re going about a solution all wrong. This is not the way. There are other ways to help the universe other than pure slaughter! Killing half of every life… will do nothing… will help nothing… but there can be another way. You can turn away right now, Thanos. Stop this bloodshed… and trillions of others. Please…”

There had never been more sincerity in her voice. And right there it mattered more than ever, the Princess of Friendship still willing after everything to save him, to stop him from causing the greatest travesty to ever befall the universe. She knew that wanton destruction and endless fighting could not stop Thanos; they tried that many times before. Perhaps there were still other ways to reach to him, to find that pain he held and finally heal it. End the conflict… without another life lost.

Thanos lifted his head at long last. He turned back to them, and in his grasp… he held her. The eight mares gasped and Spike took a precautionary step backwards. By his right palm, he held Gamora still, by her shoulder, the lone Guardian crying silent breaths as her teary eyes finally fell upon the mares. Her legs were returned to her, but she hardly looked like she could stand. She could hardly do anything at all while her father held her still.

She couldn’t do anything… but they still could.

So, she begged to them and cried, “P-please… kill me…”

If the ponies and Spike gasped before, they absolutely lost their breath for several seconds on end. Their jaws fell as one, eyes widened to the point of no return. Every last one of them were shocked as to why Gamora wanted them to kill her. Because of Thanos? Because her father had her again and she didn’t wish to be taken? They didn’t know, yet the fear in Gamora’s eyes was as real as the storm above their heads, the tears in her eyes, and the whimpers escaping her soul.

Sunset was the first to shake her head, the first to utter, “No… no, we can’t.” Her breath was a whisper, but they all heard it. Her refusal fell amongst the others, Rainbow Dash growing that fierce glare as she shot out her wings, ready to strike the Titan where he stood. Twilight’s mouth slowly but surely closed, that look of shock replaced with raw determination. Even Rarity forced a frown, stamped her hoof in the dead grass and affirmed her stance alongside her friends. Against the Titan that haunted her. But even then, none of them experienced what Sunset had. None of them felt that wave of memories enter into her and reveal the child and the Titan. The burning world. The switchblade…

Her geode cried out to her, more than ever before. Sunset gazed to it, shocked that nopony else was hearing that shrill cry or reacting to it. Or her. Crying out to see tears in Gamora’s eyes, seeing her desperation to end her own life. Crying for more than that.

And she still turned away from it. They all did. They refused, one by one asserting their stance and standing against him. Thanos witnessed such, the Titan shaking his head. In pity? Disappointment? Something more…? They didn’t know. Thanos wondered if he even knew.

“You speak of things you could never understand,” Thanos weakly stated, even his own voice sounding distant and unknown to him. “Speak of solutions to the inevitable. Speak of controlling fate… yet never once considering what must be done to actually achieve that.”

Thanos gazed to his left hand, to the Infinity Gauntlet upon it and the Stones. He came so far. That alone tossed away any self-doubt, the Titan knowing that he had made it. His destiny had arrived at long last. He raised his gauntlet and gazed to the five Stones, hardening his eyes, his expression, everything.

“I know where I stand,” he declared firmly. Without hesitation. Without doubt. He stared at Twilight and let her know that. “And I refuse to turn away from my destiny.”

Twilight’s eyes fell, letting the weight of that statement reach her. For once… it finally did. “Then you are truly lost,” she replied, lifting her pain-filled eyes to Thanos. “Now, girls.”

She closed her eyes.

So did Applejack.

So did Fluttershy.

So did Rarity.

So did Pinkie Pie.

And so did Rainbow Dash.

Spike, Sunset, and Starlight all proceeded to back away as the six mares proceeded to rise forth from the grass, the wind beginning to heighten to otherworldly levels. One by one, each of the Elements began to brighten. Slowly… warming up to the point where all six Elements of Harmony were alive and vibrant. Perhaps more than ever, Twilight’s magenta tiara shimmering so bright it caused Thanos to flinch back. Swirls of magic began to form around them, the six Elements, the six ponies, finally coming together once again as they hovered before the Titan.

And that was as far as they got.

Thanos jutted out the Infinity Gauntlet and clenched it. The bright green Stone ignited and unleashed a wave over them, freezing every mare within that moment, Twilight opening her eyes and holding that expression of shock when she witnessed the Time Stone among the others. It was already too late, every last one of them—including Sunset, Starlight, and Spike calling out to warn Twilight—frozen in time. Caught in the moment. Cut off just short of stopping him.

The same moment Gamora felt Thanos release her, but not before pulling something from her person. She spun around to face that, to see what he had done, and stopped. Frozen solid. Just like the mares… but able to experience it all the worse.

When she turned towards him, it was only when she heard that undeniable sound of the extending blade. When she turned towards him, Gamora already realized her mistake but was unable to stop it. It was already too late. Thanos had already removed the switchblade from her side holster, unsheathed it, and drove it forward.

Both he and his daughter flinched at the sound.

Both of them felt the pain that inevitably followed.

But only one experienced it for herself.

Gamora quivered where she stood, losing her breath in that final gasp. She looked down where Thanos forced himself not to and gazed onto his right palm. Stared onto the switchblade—the first toy he gave her—right beneath her heart. The wind blew hair in her face but it could never conceal the pain, the heartbreak, the complete shatter of her heart once she lifted her tear-filled eyes to him. She couldn’t even cry out.

She lost that breath when he stabbed her.

Thanos bent down, fell to one knee—wanted to fall farther—but held on to her. Removed his right palm from the blade and rested it on the back of her head. Gamora fell to her knees. Slowly, deliberately, he pressed his forehead against hers and cried. Closed his eyes and let the tears fall in silence between them.

By the time the ponies managed to escape thanks to Twilight and Sunset’s magical outburst, it was already too late to act. The Great Mound erupted into a flurry of light and the eye of the storm exploded outwards.

Showered that orange, blinding light upon the world and caught them all within it.







When Thanos opened his eyes, he was gazing to the stars.

They were dotted everywhere, like jewels upon the grandest, darkest canvas. He felt weightless, almost as if he was among them, among the many stars in the universe and free from that duty he was bound to. It was but a moment before the light of the world returned to him in an orange blaze, the smoke and the clouds consuming the night sky.

Thanos arose from the grass and gazed to the light of the world. He was no longer near the Great Mound or the light within it. He lay at the bottom of Mount Bashenga, Thanos gazing to it to see that orange glow. That light showered upon the desolate nation of Wakanda and painted all the skies orange, making it appear almost as if it was day.

But never was there more light than what shimmered in his right palm.

Looking to his right hand, Thanos slowly unfurled his fingers and gazed upon the awe-inspiring majesty of what lied upon it. He felt his breath escape him, only able to return to bask in the glory of what he now held and controlled. The power of the universe, the power of every soul within it, bowed before his will. He rose up.

The Soul Stone was finally gifted to him. The orange gem shimmered brightly, proudly within his grasp. For the one who truly earned it, understood its power. More so than any other would have ever been willing to. With as much caution as he could muster, Thanos adjusted the Stone to rest between his fingers, the Titan slowly raising his palm just over his gauntlet. Just over the face of it.

In that barren opening upon the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos released the Soul Stone. It was complete.

Finally.

PreviousChapters Next