• Published 26th May 2018
  • 7,894 Views, 7,460 Comments

Infinity Era - JDPrime22



Avengers: Infinity War / Avengers: Endgame crossover. The culmination has arrived. The Mad Titan has waited so long for this moment. Long live the Infinity Era.

  • ...
30
 7,460
 7,894

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 188 – I Am Iron Man

188

With a sudden and painful gasp, Tony Stark pressed his right palm into the shredded piece of rubble, the slabs of concrete and rebar jutting out in chaotic directions. He didn’t care. He laid his hand against the nearest support he could find and held on. Held on for as long as he could before his legs gave way and his body crashed against the rubble. He laid his back against it, tried to breathe again, but couldn’t. Not fully. Not entirely.

As he fell, that dreaded weight he felt pressing against him slowly began to flutter away, as if the weight of the universe he had been burdened with had suddenly washed away. The world around him was torn and blurred, flickers of flame lingering on the shattered battlefield as he gazed down a long and empty valley. All he could hear was his weakened breath, each inhale sharp and every exhale low and silent. His Mark 45 Iron Man armor was shredded in multiple places, leaving his left arm and face free to the elements around him. His right arm was concealed by the glove, concealed under the black veins of a scorched and decimated Nano Gauntlet. Those veins rose up, consumed the entirety of his arm, his shoulder, part of his chest, and the right side of his face.

His skin was cracked and dark, the clashing tides of the pale and white mixing with the damage. Despite the horrific aftermath of his person, he felt no pain. His senses had numbed considerably and all he could hear, all he could feel, was his own breathing. Even those started to numb. With lips parted, breaths heaving, Tony Stark lifted his quivering eyes to the clouds, heard the sound of repulsors nearing him.

Landing in the empty valley just mere feet in front of him, the War Machine rose up and retracted his mask. Underneath, the shaken and grim expression from James Rhodes illuminated the light of the burning battlegrounds, the darkness of the approaching night filling the air and the clouds above. Neither one of them paid any heed to their environment. All they saw were each other, two men who had faced great wars and great tides in the many, many years they had known each other. In the many years that they had been best friends.

Cautiously making his approach, James kneeled down and raised his armor-plated hand, rested it on the side of Tony’s face. The side that wasn’t torn. Tony’s head nearly fell slack, a weak but warm smile filling his pale lips as he met the eyes of that familiar face, of that old friend standing by his side one more time. Rhodes brought his eyes forward, tried his damnedest to smile back, but felt his own expression crumble when he gazed deeply into Tony’s eyes. They were lost, staring off into some unknown void of space even when he tried to stay with them. James could hear the subtle breaths he made, each one growing weaker than the last.

With that, James Rhodes forced a nod, the hardest smile he could ever offer, and said, “You did good out there.”

He meant it. With every shred of his being, with every memory of he and Stark rushing into him, despite all the clashes they had and despite it all, James meant it. There was nothing else he meant more. From picking him up barely standing and barely alive in the desert that lifetime ago, to kneeling by his side for what Rhodes could only fear would be the last time, that bond, that history, that friendship they had meant so much more to him than anything else. So when he said it out loud, it held that weight. It held that truth. Tony did it.

He did good out there.

Hearing the web swing their way, Rhodes closed his eyes and broke away from his best friend, held in that shattering pain within him for another day. Instead, he stepped aside, fell quiet as that terrifyingly familiar voice called out, the meager innocence of it wrapped with confusion, shock, and fear. A dreaded mixture of the three that filled Peter Parker.

“Mr. Stark?”

His Iron Spider was cracked and dented—yet it held well. It held because the man who made it crafted it so. Without a mask to conceal his identity, without the strength to stand a second more, Spider-Man fell to his knees directly in front of Tony Stark. The man he had seen all his life as an inspiration, a title to aspire to, and a hero to become sat wilted before him, struggling just to breathe as Peter rested his hands on him, grasped his arms, his shoulders, anything to keep him with them. Despite his efforts, he yielded no fruit, and Peter Parker’s expression only continued to crack further, sweat glistening from his hair, eyes fresh with bleeding tears.

His voice stammered as he tried to speak, as he tried to reach to the man who had become more than just a hero to him.

“Hey… Mr. Stark. Can you hear me? I-It’s P-P-Peter. Hey… we won. We won, Mr. Stark… We won. You did it, sir. You did it… Please, you gotta get up.”

Peter’s efforts were met with little response, Tony’s eyes glazed and gazing forward, past Parker and beyond into some unforeseen end. His expression shattered at that, Peter dropping his eyes and hands trembling against Stark’s shoulders. The Spider-Man’s body quivered like a broken child, those soft cries leaving his lips as he convulsed and shivered in that kneeling position. In that shattered state of heart, mind, and soul.

He stopped shaking when he felt that soft palm rest on his cheek.

Eyes rising, tears falling, Peter Parker met Tony’s eyes and saw that lingering life turning towards him alone. He didn’t even have the strength to lift him up, his hand merely gracing the side of Parker’s face for what little time they had left. For the son he never had before.

For the next father Peter had lost.

At that thought, Peter completely broke, his expression contorting and fresh tears rushing like rivers down his filthy cheeks. If only he had been faster. If only he had been better. If only Spider-Man could have been by his side before…

“I’m sorry… Tony.”

The pair of hooves on his shoulder gently pulled Peter away, managed to pry his hands from Tony’s body and relinquish that grasp he never wanted to break again. With that calming embrace, that tender pull, Parker eventually broke away and let the hooves bring him back to his feet. His hands rose to shield his quivering expression, unable to hide the pain that flooded free. He fell back and stood with Rhodes, stood with the six other ponies that crowded together, each of them staring in the same direction. Each of them dead silent as one of their own pulled Spider-Man away and took his place.

And resting there, Twilight Sparkle gazed upon him with that shuddering uncertainty filling her expression, her eyes, and every shred of her being. Seeing his torn Iron Man armor, seeing the damage done by the Infinity Stones, Twilight could recall that they had succeeded only by the daring actions she and Tony took together. It was her who teleported the gauntlet away from Thanos. It was her who transported it onto Tony’s hand. It was her that helped him save the universe. Tony may have made the decision, he may have been the one to snap his fingers, but he couldn’t have done it alone.

It was her who brought him to that point.

From the black and scorched arm, to those dreaded veins consuming his body, and to the cracked skin painting the right side of his face, Twilight could feel that rising pain clouding her stomach. It made her nauseous, the mare still trying to fathom that she had led Tony to this. The universe was saved but at a terrible cost. A great and wretched cost.

Twilight blinked, taking in that shivering breath as her body shuddered near Stark’s. Her Iron Mare held on, the Arc Reactor burning bright amongst the darkness, amongst Tony’s own darkening light. She blinked again, the first tear rolling down her cheek to grace her parted lips, to grace that tiny voice that managed to slip out of her.

All she could say was, “Tony…?”

Her best friends were openly crying behind her, Rarity raising a foreleg over her lips as that subtle wetness started to cloud her eyelids. Fluttershy’s face quivered, jaw trembling as she tried to make sense of what she was witnessing. It didn’t seem real. None of what they had done seemed feasible. The mare slowly shook her head, expression and tears half-hidden behind her long, pink mane. Pinkie Pie was right beside her, her own mane drooping and slightly deflated, eyes large and grave. Applejack slowly pulled off her hat, resting it gently over her heart. Her expression was as hard as stone, and cracked just as well, mirroring Rainbow Dash’s almost to a T. The Pegasus stood on all four hooves, her Iron Mare burning bright in the darkness and Rainbow trying to emanate its strength. Only, she couldn’t. After all she had witnessed, standing in the heart of victory with the losses that came with it, Rainbow Dash could not remain strong. Not after all she lost. Tears welled up in her eyes, lips trembling to see Twilight confront Tony Stark one last time.

Sunset Shimmer watched it all and couldn’t breathe. Couldn’t move. The glimmering red Element of Harmony around her neck felt dull against her heart, like her greatest achievement had mattered little. It simply felt like another weight placed upon her. All her focus, all her strength, and all her heart were displaced onward, to the tragedy unfolding before her.

“I… I-I-I…”

Stammering over her own words, Twilight didn’t seem to know what to say. What could she tell him? Apologize? They both understood the risk and were willing to take it. Comfort him? There was little comfort to be had in his state, and nothing she said could change what had happened, or offer a blissful means to the end. Her mind had drawn a blank and there was nothing more she could say that could be worth his remaining time. Even then, she had failed him once more. They both may have known the risk, but she was the one who helped him enact it. She could have thought of something else, something different, one of the many ways they could have won without the cost of another life. Instinct overtook rational thought, and Twilight was forced to pay for those instincts, for that rash decision she and Stark made. For the actions she had committed that cost her a friend.

A friend that she couldn’t even say goodbye to.

Then, to her growing shock and disbelief, Tony raised his left hand slowly to her. He pressed his pointing finger to her Arc Reactor, over her heart, and rested it there. Twilight, dazed and confused, dropped her tearful eyes to his finger and gazed to it momentarily, slowly raising that expression back to Stark. Back to hear him utter in that weak, whispering voice to her.

And her alone.

“Don’t waste it… Don’t waste your life…”

His finger tapped gently on the light, the weight of his words reaching Twilight on a deeper, more personal level than she could know. At least right then. Further on down the life she had yet to live, maybe his words would bear their fruit, maybe that promise would hold and Twilight would finally reap its harvest. But right then, right then, Twilight could take his last words to her in stride, face contorting and breaking but holding well. She nodded to him through the teary, bloodshot eyes.

His hand fell away from her heart, and Twilight hugged him.

Laying her head on his chest and crying softly, Twilight Sparkle could offer no words. She knew nothing that would have given him some form of greater rest, no statement that would have ensured his life was worth every second. She expressed that only in the embrace she gave him, that expression of wordless love showing to Tony the impact he had made on her life. Showing to him the friend he had made, and the friends who stood by him from every victory… and every darkest hour. The hug—at least to Twilight—felt stronger than any word she could have managed at that moment. It felt right.

It felt like them.

Finally, without a single protest, Twilight was pulled away. The metallic hands gripped her withers and gently caressed the Alicorn in a comforting and warming hold. Sniffing and rubbing her hoof across the ugly mesh of tears blotting her face, Twilight turned back to face the owner of those hands, blurred vision rising up and meeting the sullen and shaken expression of Pepper Stark. Gazing down to the pony, Pepper waited until she was well on her own. With a weak nod from Twilight, Pepper pursed her lips in an attempt to smile gratefully. Her hands fell away, Twilight fading in her peripheral vision as she took the Alicorn’s place, kneeled under that fading sun, and stared solely to her husband.

At that time, Pepper remained uncertain for what she could possibly tell him. His skin was as pale as a ghost, as cracked and broken as the look in his eyes gazing to nowhere. But through it all, it was still the man she had fallen in love with all those years ago. It was still her husband. Perhaps in that moment, Pepper could see that resemblance and find the strength to speak to him. Perhaps in that moment, Stark had never seen her look so beautiful. Her golden blonde hair fell gracefully down to her shoulders without the mask to block it. Her age showed, but it did not deter him from seeing the woman who had stolen his heart and saved his life time and time again.

Even if she couldn’t save it that time.

But that was what they signed up for. For better or worse, that was what they agreed to. All the years they had worked together, grew closer from a mere assistant and a billionaire philanthropist to two souls becoming one, hearts finding solace in one another and keeping that love sacred, whole, and pure even into the brightest days and darkest nights. For as long as they both shall live, having faced greater turmoil together than separated, knowing their lives were filled with constant trouble, strife, and war from the day they met to the day they decided, yes, they would be together. They would live as one body, as one heart, and build a new life free from the old. Build a new life with their daughter, with their family, and turn away from the world. That was never an option for them. Both knew that. They knew the risks and they stood as that one to face it together.

Until death do they part…

Pepper trembled at that thought, but remained strong. She kept her true feelings and expressions hidden, endured as much as she could to ensure that Tony only saw her with that strength in her face, that life in her eyes, and the love he had given her.

Quietly, slowly, she reached for him and whispered, “Hey…”

Tony turned to her. “Hey Pep…” he whispered back. His voice was so stricken with weakness that he was barely audible.

Her hand rested over his Arc Reactor, and Pepper watched as he found the strength to lift his own. He garnered enough will to ensure that he held her one last time, his naked left palm rising to grasp her hand in that unbreakable bond of fellowship and comfort. Her hold, to him, was his comfort. His love. His life.

Shivering slightly, Pepper stared nowhere else but his eyes. “Friday?” she asked, hoping for the AI to check his vitals and know how much longer she had with him.

Only static was the response.

Lost in that darkness and uncertainty, Pepper nearly broke that strength and showed her true colors, her true pain, but stopped. Stopped when she witnessed a sight that nearly took her breath away, stunned her to the point that her heartbeat had dissipated and she could only feel his own, that shared unity of love bringing the couple together for one final reunion. All it took was for Tony to smile at her. It wasn’t much, but it was all he could offer. A simple smile that told her everything was going be okay. Everything had gone exactly how it was supposed to. Pepper smiled back, yet there was cindering pain behind it, the type of pain that she hid away and didn’t want him to see. All she wanted him to see was her smile, her comfort, and that assurance he could leave them with.

His head slowly wilted to the side, eyes breaking away.

“Tony, look at me.”

Gasping softly, Tony turned back and met her gaze once more, locked with it just long enough to hear that promise brush past her breath. A promise that held as strong as her expression, as the warm and comforting smile she gave him even until the darkening of his own vision. What she said was not a declaration to the heavens, nor a statement all could take to heart. What she said was not scripture, or doctrine, or words meant for the faint or the weak. What she said was for him alone because she knew he was strong, because she knew he had given himself for a greater end. The words they had both known and experienced together to face on that final twilight.

“We’re gonna be okay… Your war is over… You can rest now.”

Her free hand gently caressed the side of his face, Pepper breaking that touch away and holding her eyes as long to him as she could. For as long as she had with him. His head wilted away once more, eyes slowly drifting off and staring to that unknown end. Until she knew for certain, until she could no longer maintain that human strength, Pepper Stark kept smiling and kept staring to her husband, ensuring to him that the last he saw of her was her smile, was her peace, and that promise for their daughter. Her face contorted and broke, the cracks showing and Pepper trembling to it. She held on for as long as she could, for as long as she needed to be. For as long as he needed her to be.

Until the light from his Arc Reactor turned black between her fingers.

Until his hand fell slack from hers.

Until then, Pepper remained strong. By then, she finally gave in.

Lifting her tear-filled eyes, Pepper gazed onto the sight she did not want to see, washed her pain and sorrow onto his expression. He stared off into the distance, lips parted, unmoving, and finally resting in peace. Leaning forward, Pepper placed a soft but loving kiss on his left cheek, a kiss that longed for more, but fell away all the same. She didn’t fall away. She pressed her forehead onto his shoulder and wept softly, minding no one, and spent those last moments with him. Just him.

Twilight Sparkle had long since fell to her haunches, as if all the life and breath from her body had simultaneously vanished the same moment the light from his Arc Reactor had. She shut her eyes as that trembling exhale parted her lips, as that grim reality settled in and captured Twilight in its icy and cold grasp. The mare quivered and dropped her gaze, the tears slipping freely down her snout and crashing to the gravel beneath her. She cried silently, gasping, and nearly falling completely.

But she stood. She remained with her best friends coming to her side and comforting her, crying with her all the same.

Amongst the tattered battlegrounds, the remaining Avengers came together to acknowledge their heroes, to the ones who had fallen giving their lives for a greater purpose. The many who came were vast, each of them casting their fallen Avengers a broken and wounded gaze. Bucky Barnes fell besides Steve Rogers’ body, a hand rising forth to rest over Captain America’s chest. Right over his heart. He felt nothing. Not a beat. Nothing. Closing his eyes, Bucky dropped his head and remained by his fallen brother in arms, by his best friend. To the end of the line.

Pressing her blade softly into the dirt, Valkyrie stood low by her king and her Allfather. Her eyes rose softly to Thor, seeing his cold and resting body embedded with the head of his own weapon. To her left, Lady Sif stood all the same and gazed heartbroken and soul shattered to the God of Thunder. Valkyrie cast her a weakened glance. Pulling the axe free, Valkyrie settled Stormbreaker aside and held out her blade, lowered her head, and closed her eyes. Sif, with trembling lips, followed her, blade placed forth and breaths whispering the final farewells to their king. To their friend.

Falling softly to the dirt, Matthew Murdock let his arms wrap around Natasha Romanoff’s wilted body. His own heart beat rapidly where hers could not, Matt feeling and hearing nothing from the woman he held so close and so dear. Brushing a strand of red hair from her face, Murdock could see the flaming bursts of light flowing from his vision, enveloping her face and making her appear even more beautiful than he could ever imagine. Inhaling sharply, exhaling with a shudder, Daredevil raised his hand and washed his palm over her eyes, closing them, bringing her to a still and peaceful rest. He cried over her, pressing his forehead to hers and cradling the Widow in his arms.

Beside him, Pinkie Pie cried alongside the Devil, falling to her haunches and gazing to Natasha with large, watery eyes. There was nothing more for her to do. There was no joy to spread, no smiles to bring. For the first time in her life, she didn’t want to smile. She just wanted to cry.

And she did. She cried just as Fluttershy did near Bruce Banner. Rocket and Groot managed to pull Banner onto his back, all three of them desperately searching for any signs of lingering life. The Pegasus pressed her hooves to his neck and checked, hoping, praying for a pulse. Finding none. Gasping and sputtering for air, Fluttershy broke completely and rested her head against Banner’s heart. Rocket’s expression broke and Groot gasped. Neither one of them could speak. Neither one of them could move.

That same pestering silence and plaguing death filled the wasteland, but only there, in the epicenter, did it originate. Only there did the many come together. Only there did the Avengers stop to mourn their own. Especially Captain Marvel. Especially Carol Danvers. She walked on her own two feet, halted and gaped in horror to what she had been dreading to witness, praying to have ignored her fears and seeing them only brought to life. From Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hulk, and Iron Man, all of them lay nearby with friends and loved ones standing beside them. Carol gazed to the fallen, to her team, to her Avenges, with tears leaking from her eyes. With tears flowing down her cheeks to meet her lips, meet those shiver-filled exhales, and fall continuously to the dirt.

She was too late. Like the many around her, she was too late for them. All she could do was stand for them. Like the many.

Rising amongst the ashes and stumbling to his feet, a certain Clint Barton arose and witnessed what he couldn’t believe. If Natasha wasn’t enough already, then seeing the rest of his team, the rest of his best friends and Avengers lying about was the peak of his loss. He wanted to breathe but couldn’t, knew that out of everyone present, it should have been him. The others should not have fallen while he rose. The Avengers should not have died without him. But they did. That was fate, and it spared his life. He was the only one to survive, the only one to stand, and the last one to arrive.

He made sure he was the first to take a knee.

Be it some silent declaration, some untold bond shared between every last one of them, but everyone soon fell all the same. It started from Hawkeye, the Black Panther turning his way before facing onward. Before easing himself to one knee. Captain Marvel broke her tearful gaze away to turn to the Wakandan king, seeing him and Barton and joining them shortly. Her knee settled with the dirt, forearm resting over her leg, as she maintained some form of strength in her expression. Steve would have wanted her to. Beside her, Ant-Man and the Wasp fell in tandem, both casting one another a short but wounded stare before settling themselves onto one knee, eyes rising and expressions torn for those they had lost. For the Avengers who had given it all when they couldn’t.

Across them, standing in the distance was Star-Lord, the Guardian and fearless nomad falling to his knee in silence, in honor. Valkyrie shot her eyes over to Star-Lord, soon kneeling all the same and Lady Sif joining her. They did not kneel just for their king. They did not kneel only for Thor. They kneeled for all. Nebula, next to Star-Lord, joined him. Drax and Mantis behind them fell to their knees and lowered their heads.

And Doctor Strange fell, too. He eased down through the tearing pain in his body and settled to one knee, eyes rising to the many and to the one who had given his and their lives for a greater meaning. The images, the flashes, the visions of what was to come had finally been put to rest alongside the Avengers. It had all come to fruition and Strange could only imagine… how quiet it was. Victory amongst the many millions of losses, somehow, hurt even more.

He lowered his head, his eyes, and remained silent among the masses.

Those masses fell together, a slew of different aliens, creatures, and beings from across the universe all coming as one in honor for their heroes. Some took a knee while others fell to their rears and lowered their heads. Princess Celestia and Luna were two of those individuals, with Ember and Capper taking the appropriate knees. Trixie, Derpy, and Maud took a seat, with Starlight and Sunburst falling shortly after, Glimmer's eyes filled with shock and disbelief. Mirroring everyone else. Twilight and her closest friends—with Spike, Shining Armor, Cadance, and Flurry coming to them—all sat together, all lowered their heads together, and all mourned in silence together. Shuri, Falcon, Wanda, and Phil Coulson kneeled for the five Avengers.

No one expected Loki to, but he did. He was apprehensive, scared, but cared not for what the others saw. Cared not when all was said and done. To the individuals he never imagined he would, to Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Bruce Banner, Natasha Romanoff, and his brother, he kneeled and slowly dropped his head.

Everyone did.

The sun fell that day and coated the land in ever-growing darkness, enveloping the risen and the fallen under that same cloak. Under that same banner of silent victory. The sun set that day, in that old world standing tall, on the hearts of a grateful universe.

PreviousChapters Next