• Published 26th Jul 2012
  • 742 Views, 6 Comments

The Two Students - RainbowSnow



Princess Luna is told by her sister to take on not one, but two students.

  • ...
 6
 742

Chapter 4 : Fades and Leaves

Chapter 4: Fades and Leaves

Lucis awoke to find the usual nothingness that overlays the world. Sighing, he got up and quickly brushed his mane and tail, nothing fancy, just to clean himself up a little. Lucis turns about and moves exactly 5 paces ahead, turns to the door opens it with magic, and walks out.

“Not hitting that wall this time,” Lucis chuckles as he trots to his sister's room.

“Lucis,” a familiar voice calls out, belonging to a pony with a lot of hope resting on her shoulders, Twilight walks up next to Lucis making sure he wasn't going to accidentally turn the wrong way or keep moving. “Look, I need to talk to you. And probably your sister... We may as well involve Princess Luna as well.”

“Oh, ok,” Lucis says unsure if this is going to be bad. He shifts on his hooves unsure of what to make of the situation. Twilight looks about, trying to figure out what to say next. The hall seemed bigger with the awkward silence adding to its feel.

“Well, I'll be in the Library. Come there once you get your sister and the Princess, okay?” Twilight says cutting the strange air like a plow through dirt. Lucis looks in her direction and nods as he continues on his way to Umbra’s room.

“This is going to be harder than I thought.” Twilight sighs, turning around and heading for the Library, the halls only seeming longer with each step. The looming task of crushing a hope pressing closer and closer.

--------

Umbra lay on her bed not wanting to move. 'I have a bad feeling about today... I feel like this is the beginning of... of something I can't understand just yet' She thinks restlessly, 'And I get the feeling in the end... it's my fault.'

A knock comes to her door along with a muffled, “Can I come in?” Umbra looks at the door while dreading time's passing. She looks to her window, the sun high in the crystal clear blue sky. 'It's a beautiful day for... whatever will happen' Umbra bitterly thinks.

“Yeah, come on in,” Umbra says as she gets out of bed and canters sleepily to her simple dresser and mirror. She begins brushing her horribly messy mane and tail as her door opens. Lucis walks in carefully, as if he is measuring exactly how far he can move about without hitting things.

'Silly Lucis, but I will admit. It is a good idea.' Umbra thinks as she giggles a little. She looks back at her mane in the mirror to see she had brushed it to the wrong side. 'Oh for the love of...'

“Hey Umbra, guess what?” Lucis asks a little nervously. “Twilight said that she needs to talk to me. Well you, Mo... Princess Luna, and me.”

“Oh really? Do you think she found a cure? A way to fix your eyes?” Umbra asks as she corrects her mane.

Lucis turns his head in her direction looking very confused, “I hope so, but...”

“But what?” Umbra asks as she finishes brushing her tail. She turns and walks up to her brother, whom immediately looks a lot less worried. Lucis pulls up his blindfold to allow his faintly glowing eyes a chance to be in the light that is unseeable to him. His eyes look over his sister's face, as though trying to see.

“I think she is going to tell me that she can't help me.” Lucis says downheartedly, his face putting on a quick smile. His foggy eyes wander about the room for a moment as though trying to make out it's shape and depth. Lucis's face lightened, for a moment, into a small smile. Umbra walks away to get her hair bow from her dresser and Lucis's face falls a little as he puts his blindfold back on.


“Is something amiss Lucis?” Umbra asks as she notes her brother's change in facial expression. The light in the room seems to fluctuate as Lucis scrambles for an answer.

“Nothing... well nothing I'm sure of.” Lucis answers quietly as he turns around. “Come sister, we must get Princess Luna.”

--------

“Twilight Sparkle requests Us as well?” Princess Luna asks quizzically, glancing around her grand room. “Well, if We are needed then We shall attend.” Princess Luna turns back towards her students and motions for Umbra to lead the way. Lucis and Luna follow behind her. They leave Luna’s elegant room for the Library in hopes of good news.


The castle has been busy lately with concerts and meetings. The palace guests were shocked by the two new alicorn for their arrival had not been announced, nor reported, in any paper. The Royal Sisters had decided not to announce the presence of two new alicorn just yet so they could continue with their training quitely. They did not have time to worry about the press wanting to know everything about the two, thus the decision was made to keep the two hidden as much as possible from the outside world. All of the guests who had seen them promised not to tell anypony, but the Princesses knew that the silence would not last very long. Ponies talk and rumors spread after all.

Concerts and meetings were still lingering on due to unfinished business and the captivating spell of a melody. The trio pass doors that open seemingly into other worlds, worlds where there is less uncertainty and unease. A different scene plays out behind each door, through some are ponies having important meetings about the ongoings in Equestria, through another is a grayish pony playing a beautiful and haunting melody on a cello for a small entranced audience, others contain a calming silence and a feeling of emptiness, and most remain closed giving a feeling of uncertainty of what lay beyond.

'We fear the worst about this news' Luna thinks sadly, 'We hope Lucis will take this... life altering news well. If he does not...' Luna looks to her students, thinking of the uncertainty in their future. 'What will become of them? We did not even ponder this question before this happened. What is their place in this world? What will the public think of them? Will they be accepted? Or shall they be shunned as We were?'

Lucis turns his head in his teacher's direction, as though trying to see her. He holds the position for a moment and then turns his head back forward. The action unnerves Luna. 'It is as though he saw Our uncertain expression.' She thinks, looking at both of her students. Lucis follows closely behind Umbra, not bumping anything nor tripping on any object. 'Strange... he was bumping into every little thing earlier. Perhaps he has just walked these halls a good deal?'

The three approached the library door at a slow pace. Each step seeming to get heavier and more difficult, as all three of them feared the worst. The big door loomed over them as they arrived to it, it's purple color seemed to grow radiant and bid them to turn away from fate. Umbra pushed open the harmless yet menacing door to reveal the real cause of the tension, behind the door in the library sat Twilight and Princess Celestia at a small table in the center near a giant hourglass. The sand in the glass moved slowly as it counted down to an unknown time.

“Come Sister, bring your students,” Celestia beckons them over, motioning for them to come to the small table. “There is important business to attend to.”

Princess Luna gulps as she motions for her students to move forward. Lucis slowly begins moving sensing that he has to get this over with and feeling that there may be hope for his eyes to be repaired. Umbra stares for a moment and then begins to follow her brother. Luna quickly follows suit.

As Luna reaches the table Twilight begins to speak to Lucis in a very quiet and soft voice, “Lucis... I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do.” Tears begin to form on the edges of Twilight's eyes. ”I have searched this entire library and have found nothing even close to what has happened to you. Th-the best thing may just to be to ad-adjust to life wi-without the use of y-your eyes.” Tears falling down Twilight's cheeks.

Lucis stood there, looking as though he was torn between crying and trying to put on a small smile to try to make himself seem strong. His blindfold soon grew wet as his tears broke free of their cage and flowed down his face. Lucis pulled off his blindfold to reveal his glowing eyes, only for a moment as he soon collapsed on the ground in a crying mess with his blindfold in his hooves.

Umbra moves to comfort her brother, putting a hoof on his shoulder. Twilight begins to think as she begins to cry harder. 'I have just ended a young colt's hope to regain his sight, how can I ever feel like this was the right choice when he looks so hurt?'

--------

Lucis flies to his favorite spot in the castle, the highest tower's roof. From here he feels like he could see the whole world, if he could see that is. He has flown to the roof so many times he has memorized the path, and luckily, avoided hitting anything on the way up for the past few times. Lucis feels as though this is the only spot he can be happy when he is not with his sister.

Lucis touches down on the roof, and slowly sits as the sunset casts it's last rays of warmth on his black coat. Lucis thinks as the cool nighttime breeze begins, 'these past five years haven't been so bad, have they? Sure I can't see, but I've learned so much and grown so close to my mother and sister. I don't think I would have made it this far if it hadn't been for Umbra. Without her... well I'm not sure what I'd do. It's funny when they say I've grown up so fast and become a “dashing young man,” but then again apparently I am a little taller than the average pony now... not that I can easily tell...' Lucis pulled off his blindfold, attempting as he does often when his sister is around, to see.

“Nope, nothing... Not sure why I still try when I'm up here anymore.” Lucis pulled the worn blindfold close to him, the stitches keeping the heart on are starting to come loose again. “I'm going to have to get Umbra to fix this again... and maybe I should wash it too...”
Lucis's glowing eyes turn skyward, hoping to see some of the beauty in the the sky long gone. The sky and the lights of life had left him three years ago, yet Lucis felt as though he still had a light in his life. Ironically it is a Mare of Darkness.

--------

Umbra looked at the stained glass window. This was the one window she knows nothing about, the one depicting a black mare being defeated by six ponies. 'Strange...This is the only thing we haven't learned about. It seems so familiar...' Umbra thinks as she looks at the window. 'I have seen at least one of these ponies before... I know it...'

Umbra stares at the window, eventually seeing through it to the night sky beyond. Through the window she can see the purple black velvet of the night sky dotted with points of light. Other parts of the castle as well as the rest of Canterlot. She looks around at the castle and notices something off, a shape on the tallest of the towers. All of a sudden two points of lights like eyes looked directly down at her from the dark shape.

“Lucis?” Umbra wonders aloud, “What in Equestria are you doing up there?” Umbra gets up from her haunches and begins to walk towards a nearby balcony. The two pin-pricks of light follow her as she moves, until she moves past the windows. Upon arriving at the open balcony, Umbra spreads her white wings and takes flight. On beating wings she flies to the roof she saw the dark form on. Touching down on the cold roof she sees Lucis looking at her. 'That is really weird... it's as though he can see me' Umbra thinks uncomfortably.

“Oh, hey Umbra.” Lucis says quietly, looking back to the stars.

“Hey Lucis. Umm..What are you doing up here?” Umbra asks. 'How did he know it was me? This doesn't make sense.' “Lucis... How did you know it was me?”

“For your first question, I like it up here. I feel like I could see everything in Equestria if I could see.” Lucis says, sending a pang of guilt through Umbra. “For your second, well... how could I not know when my own sister approaches? ”

“I... you're right, I suppose.” Umbra says, still a little uneasy. 'I guess, he could hear me. I mean his hearing must be better than mine due to his lack of sight, right? But that still doesn't explain some things..' Umbra thinks as she sits down next to Lucis. She looks around, looking far into the distance, seeing vast shadowy mountain ranges illuminated faintly by the moon. Looking away from the mountains, she can see the town of Ponyville, with small specks of light from windows of homes. '

'Lucis is right, it does seem like you can see everything up here... and I'm the reason he can't enjoy this place like I can...' Umbra thinks sadly.

“Lucis?” Umbra asks quietly, the wind blowing softly. ”I'm sorry...” Lucis turns to her, his glowing eyes moving about her face. He squints a little then looks down.

“Why are you sorry? You have nothing to be sorry about, in fact without you... I would be a mess” Lucis says quietly.

“I'm sorry because it's my fault.” Umbra cokes, tears beginning to stream down her face. “If it wasn't for me you'd still be able to see. You'd be happy, and... and” Umbra breaks down, her body heaving with every sob.

“Umbra, without you I would be miserable, in fact a life without you is one I never want to live. I've never blamed you for what happened to me, because I don't see it as your fault.”

“B-but it is,” Umbra cries, reaching over and hugging Lucis tightly.“It's all my fault and you should never forgive me! How can you forgive me? What I caused is horrible! You can never see anything, you can't see the beauty of the world. If you could you would never forgive me...” Umbra continues to cry softly into Lucis's shoulder. Lucis extends his wings and wraps them around his crying sister. He holds her close, for once he is the one comforting the other.

Lucis turns his head to the moon, then back to his sister. “Umbra, you are my only light in this world.”

--------

Umbra cuddles up to the warm blanket, feeling it's soft warmth. Her eyes open slightly at first then bolt open. She sits up right looking around at her room. It all looked normal, nothing was out of place. Except for one thing, a black alicorn sprawled out snoring on the floor.

'Lucis' Umbra thinks warmly, trying to remember what happened before she fell asleep. '”You are my only light in this world.” …Lucis, the roof... Wait how did I get...' Umbra looks down at Lucis.

“Lucis, how did you carry me here all by yourself? How did you not bump into anything?” Umbra says quietly. Lucis snores and rolls over onto his side, his blindfold half on and his white mane a mess. “Well, I'm not getting an answer from you right now...”

Umbra moves from her bed to her dresser, she looks herself in the face for a few moments. Her face is tear stained and tired looking, her black and yellow mane is an utter mess, and her yellow eyes look as though they can't take it anymore.

'I love my brother... but I can't stand to see him like this anymore... He is never really happy, and it IS all my fault. I know he blames me, deep down I know he does. And I can't take it anymore..every day I am reminded just by seeing him that I ruined him... If I stay I'll only be reminded of what I caused, and if I stay he will only be reminded of who caused his prison. Maybe my brother can live a happier life without the reason he is blind...' Umbra looks back to her peacefully sleeping brother, " I'm sorry Lucis..."

Umbra opens her door and closes it quietly, she moves as fast and quietly as possible. 'I'm sorry mother, I love you. But I cannot stay any longer. I'll miss you Auntie, and Mother, and... Lucis.' Umbra arrives at the balcony, spreading her wings without missing a beat and takes flight to parts unknown to her.

--------

Lucis awoke with jump. He had had the worst dream, a dream of life without his sister. Lucis shuddered at the thought, glad it would never happen. He feels around, realizing he is on the floor. 'Great... now what floor am I on? Kitchen floor, my room's floor, buck I could be anywhere...' Lucis thinks as he tries to remember the last thing he did.
'Oh yah, I just brought Umbra to her room... so it goes to reason that I am on her floor' Lucis thinks feeling around for something to help him make sense of where he is. His hoof bumps an object, he feels and and determines it is a bedpost. 'Yup..a bedroom.' Lucis thinks as he stands up.'So I assume I'm in Umbra's' room. Lucis pulls off his blindfold and turns his head to the bed, everything stayed as it was in a blank void.

“Umbra? You here?” Lucis asks quietly. Hearing no sound, Lucis feels the bed trying to find his sister. After finding nothing Lucis decides she must have left the room already, and heads out to find her.

“Perhaps she went to get breakfast already? She is usually there when I get there.” Lucis says to himself quietly.

“Oh, sorry sir.” Lucis hears a guard say as he steps out of his way. Lucis turns his head in the direction of the sound.

“Oh, no it was my bad. I should have been more to the right and not in the middle of the hall.” Lucis replied. Moving more to his right and bumping into the wall. “Oh... well. Just don't worry about it.”

“Yes sir, would you like some help?” The guard asks him. Lucis looks away from the voice.

“No... I can do it myself.” Lucis said for what felt to be about the millionth time in his life. 'I'm sick of having to say that...' Lucis though bitterly. 'I have to find Umbra, I have to find my light.'

Lucis began walking to the dining hall, thinking along the way. 'I still haven't figured it out after all these years, when she is around I can..' His thought interrupted by a voice.

“Lucis, doth thou know the whereabouts of thy sister?” Luna asks as she walks up next to him.

“I was just heading to the dining hall to check if she was there.” Lucis replies.

“Well... perhaps she will return.” Luna says, looking at her son. 'If Umbra hath left, she must have a reason, and she may return soon' Luna thinks looking at Lucis's messy mane. 'And if she does not return soon, then...perhaps if she believes it is for the best, it will be ok.'

“What do you mean 'Return'? ” Lucis asks. Turning his head towards his mother as the continued toward the dining hall.

“Well... you see Lucis” Luna begins uneasily, “It appears as though Umbra has left; multiple guards claim to have seen her flying away from the castle in the morn.” Luna adjusts her wings as she awaits Lucis's reaction.

Lucis looked shocked, “What do you mean 'she left'?!” Lucis asks desperately.

“She has left of her own accord, and may not return.” Luna replies, “But We believe she may return soon.”

“Bu... We have to find her!” Lucis blurts, stopping in his tracks.

Luna stops with him and looks at the poor colt. 'Umbra is all Lucis has ever had, but she is her own mare. She should be allowed the freedom she desires.' Luna thinks sadly. “Lucis, it is her decision. She is her own mare, and such a thing can only be decided by her. Despite what thou, nor We, think.”

'She's left me... my light... and my mother won't do anything about it,' Lucis thought grimly. 'Then it's up to me to bring my sister home!'

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment