• Published 16th May 2018
  • 4,700 Views, 146 Comments

Deathbed Confession - Dreadnought



Granny Smith confesses a family secret that will shake the Apple family to the core.

  • ...
14
 146
 4,700

Chapter V

Knock! Knock!

Twilight stepped back and waited. Within seconds came the sound of approaching hoofsteps on a wooden floor before the door swung open to reveal Apple Bloom staring up at the alicorn.

“Twilight!?” greeted the filly.

“Hello Apple Bloom. I’m here to see Applejack. Is she home?”

“Yeah, just a moment.” The filly darted out of sight followed by hoofsteps pounding up the stairs. A short time later came heavier hoofsteps descending the staircase and Applejack arrived at the front door.

“Hello Applejack,” Twilight said calmly.

“Twilight,” replied the farm pony, friendlier than the last time but still guarded.

“I was hoping we could talk, privately.”

“Oh, sure. Let’s – uh – go to the barn.” Applejack stepped outside, Twilight closing the front door before following her friend. The two walked in silence the short distance to the red barn, where Applejack opened the door to allow the two to enter before closing it firmly shut behind them. The interior was an eerie yellow twilight, illuminated only by rays of golden sunshine pouring through gaps in the siding. “So – uh, what didja want ta talk about?” She began nervously rubbing the back of her neck.

“I told you I’d help you find out who your parents are.”

“It’s only been five days, Twi. You’ve found them already?” Twilight could hear the mix of emotions – fear, hope, sadness – in her friend’s voice.

“No.” Applejack slumped in disappointment. “But I am making progress. I’ve researched the basket you were left in and made some interesting discoveries. It’s helped me narrow down the possibilities of your hometown.”

“Really?”

“Yes, but that can only take me so far. I came because I think you could help me identify your parents.”

“How? Ah already told ya all Ah know.”

“A few weeks ago, when I was searching through the restricted section of the Canterlot Library with Sunset Shimmer, I came across an ancient book of memory spells. Princess Celestia has given me special permission to use them.”

The farmer cocked her head. “‘Special permission’? Is it dangerous?”

Twilight’s head jerked back in surprise. “No, no. Not anymore than teleporting. It’s just that certain memory spells are... illegal.”

“Illegal?”

“Memories are something intensely personal. To search them without a pony’s consent is an invasion of privacy. That’s why the books are locked up and the spells’ usage strictly regulated.”

Applejack paused to consider Twilight’s words. “So, yer tellin’ me that the Princess herself gave you permission to use one on me?”

“Well, we both felt it was the best way to find your parents.”

Applejack recoiled at the admission. “Ya told her? Ya told the princess Ah’m not an Apple? Ya Pinkie Promised!”

“No, no,” assured Twilight. “I didn’t tell her that. I merely said that there’s something extremely important – extremely private – you’ve forgotten that we really need you to remember. Once I explained that, she agreed as long as I got your permission first.”

Applejack calmed down, but still had an air of worry. “So, what does this here spell do?”

“It will allow me to see your memories. I can search for an early memory of your birth parents.”

“Ah don’t know Twi. It was such a long time, there’s liable not ta be anything left of them in here,” Applejack said, tapping her head for emphasis.

“It’s the best option I have at the moment, short of running paternity tests on half of Equestria.”

“Yeah, Ah can understand that. Well, if ya think there’s a chance, Ah’m willing to give it a try. What do Ah need ta do?”

“First, you need to clear your mind. Close your eyes.” Applejack hesitantly complied. “Forget everything else. Feel the sun’s rays fall upon you. Listen to the wind outside the barn. Focus on your breathing. Exist only in this moment.”

After giving the farmer a minute of peace, Twilight instructed, “Open your mind.” She focused her magic into the tip of her horn, forming a small rose-colored ball of aura. “Your mind to my mind.” Twilight closed her eyes and leaned forward, touching her horn against Applejack’s forehead.


Twilight could feel Applejack’s memories. Hundreds – no thousands of individual strands twisted about each other in the matrix, weaving together a great mass in her friend’s mind. But Twilight didn’t know where to start. She had never attempted to navigate another pony’s mind before, and the archives noted that everypony was unique. Any of these strands could be what she was looking for. Hesitantly, she reached out to a prominent memory....



“Applejack?” came a familiar voice.

Poking her head out from behind the cart, Twilight acknowledged, “Twilight,” before returning to work.

“Applejack, we need to talk.”

Ah really don’t want ta talk, Twilight. Ah just want ta be alone. “Ah’m kinda busy unloading this here wagon.”

“Your work can wait.”

Please leave me alone. Ah ain’t in the mood ta talk. “Nope. Ah’ve gotta sort these apples b’fore the market opens in the mornin’.” Twilight resumed sorting the apple varieties into different baskets, doing her best to ignore the alicorn standing a few feet away.

“This is important.”

Ya just cain’t take a hint, can ya? “Is Chrysalis back?”

“No –” Came a confused reply.

“Is Equestria under attack again?”

“No, why –”

“Is somepony in danger?”

“No, but –”

“Have we been summoned by Celestia?”

“No, it’s –”

“Then it ain’t that important. Ah’ve got ta get ready for the market. Some of us have a business ta run.” Ah don’t mean ta be rude, but ya won’t take a hint and leave me alone. And Ah really do have ta get ready fer tomorrow.

The barn door gently closed.

Twilight felt an intense anxiety about what the alicorn was about to say, her stomach tying itself into knots.

“Applejack, I’m – we’re... concerned. All of us. We’ve noticed how you’ve been acting lately.”

“What’s that supposed ta mean?” Twilight demanded. How Ah’m actin’ ain’t none of your business.

“Well, you spend all your time working and haven’t joined us –”

“Now don’t ya go frettin’. Just because I don’t come to y’all’s parties or picnics don’t mean that somethin’s a matter.” Blunt, but Ah can’t let her know what’s really going on.

“Applejack, it’s not just your friends that are worried.... Big Mac came to see me earlier today.”

Big Mac came ta see Twilight! He must really be worried. How much did he tell her?

“He’s really worried for you.”

“Ah’m fine.” Twilight began dragging a basket full of apples towards a smaller cart, only for it to be taken away by a magical aura.

“Applejack, he says that you hardly speak to them –”

“He’s one to talk.”

“And you spend most of your time alone.”

“So?”

“Applejack, something’s really bothering you –”

“No.”

“I can see it.”

“Nope.”

“Ever since Granny Smith –”

A dagger plunged straight into Twilight’s heart. Without thinking she spun around and stood muzzle-to-muzzle with the alicorn. “Nothing’s wrong! Ya ’hear!” she spat, every word full of venom.

The alicorn’s pupils shrunk to pinpricks as she stumbled backwards. “Applejack – this – this isn’t like you,” she stuttered, failing to hide the fear in her voice.

Ah scared her! She’s afraid of me! Mah best friend – Twilight turned and hung her head low in shame. “Maybe Ah’m not the pony ya know.”

“What?” asked the alicorn.

“Nothin’.”

Twilight could feel a hoof on her shoulder. “Please Applejack. I want to help.”

No. Ya cain’t fix this Twi! There ain’t enough magic in all of Equestria ta fix this! “There’s – there’s nothin’ ya can do.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Yes, Ah do.”

“Talk to me AJ. Help me understand what’s going on.”

Twilight shook her head. Ah cain’t tell ya. It hurts too much ta even think ’bout.

“I know you’re in a lot of pain and I want to help. I’m your friend, Applejack – you can tell me anything.”

Ah don’t want ta talk about it. Ah really don’t. How can Ah tell her? How can Ah tell anypony? What ’bout mah family? But they’re not mah family, are they? How would they react if they knew? What would they say? All these years, Apple Bloom’s been lookin’ up ta me as her big sister. Ah practically raised her. An’ Big Mac. He ain’t mah big brother. He’s... well, he’s just a stallion Ah grew up with. They aren’t mah family. But Ah ain’t got nopony else. Ah don’t know what ta do.... Twilight took a deep breath then let out a long, slow sigh. “Do... do ya promise that ya won’t tell anypony?”

“I Pinkie Promise.”

It’s not too late. Ah could tell her something – anything – an’ she won’t know the difference. But, she’s expectin’ the truth. Ah’d be lyin’. Ah’m not a liar. But Ah don’t really know who Ah am.

“Applejack?”

“uhmnnanannapll.”

“I couldn’t understand you.”

“ahmananannapel.”

“I still can’t –”

Twilight turned to the alicorn, but everything blurred into unrecognizable shapes. “Ah’m not an Apple!”

“What?”

Just saying the words left Twilight weak. She hung her head low again, feeling tears run down her cheeks. “Ah’m... Ah’m not an Apple, Twi.”

“Of course you’re an Apple. You’ve got a brother and sister who care for you –”

“They’re not mah family... not mah real one.”

“Applejack?”

Twilight turned to gaze at the far wall. She fought back tears, struggling to hold herself together when she felt on the verge of completely breaking down. The armor that shielded her had been torn away, leaving her vulnerable. “That’s what Granny Smith told me on her deathbed. Ah ain’t an Apple. One day pa found me in a basket sittin’ on the front porch. No note or nothin’. They tried ta find out where Ah came from. But when they couldn’t find mah real parents, they decided to raise me. They got a birth certificate fer me, so as far as anypony knows Ah’m a real Apple.”

“You are a real Apple. Just ask Big Mac.”

“He doesn’t know.”

“He doesn’t?”

“No. He was pretty young when Ah came along... way too young ta know where foals come from. As he grew older, he just assumed Ah came along in the normal way.... Nopony knows, ’cept the two of us.”

“Applejack, I – I –”

“Ah know. Ah’ve been livin’ a lie.”

“You didn’t know.”

“Doesn’t matter. All this time, Ah thought Ah was an Apple. But – who am I?”

“Would you like me to help you find out?”

“What?”

“Maybe I could help you discover who your birth parents are.”

“Ah don’t think ya can – not after all this time.”

“I don’t know, but I can try.”

Could she really find mah parents? This is Twilight. The one who’s forgotten more about magic than I’ll ever learn. The one who’s practically a walkin’ encyclopedia. If anypony can, she can. But.... Do Ah really want ta meet mah parents? They abandoned me and never checked up on me. They’ve never wanted ta be part of mah life. Why should Ah go lookin’ fer them? “Ah don’t know. Ah mean, Ah don’t really know if Ah want ta meet them. They left me, Twi. Ah love the Apples, but...sniff – why did mah parents abandon me?” As she began to sob, Twilight felt a gentle embrace from the alicorn. “What kind of ponies abandon their foal to strangers?”

“I don’t know, Applejack. But I do know one thing – they chose a good family to raise you.”

“Yeah. Yer right,” Twilight replied.

“I don’t know if I can find them, but if I do, you don’t have to meet them. But knowing who they are might bring you some closure.”

“Thanks for being here for me.” Twilight felt the alicorn squeeze her tightly, comforting and calming her, more than words ever could.

“Always.”



Twilight hit a juncture and tore free of the memory, returning to the matrix. She steadied herself and refocused. The whole experience had been... disorienting. She knew that she’d be reliving Applejack’s memories, but she didn’t realize she’d be experiencing them firsthoof. Never did she expect to argue with herself – literally. But this was Applejack’s memory. Everything Applejack saw, everything Applejack heard, everything Applejack smelled and tasted, everything Applejack felt.... Twilight suddenly realized just how difficult the conversation had been for her friend. She could still feel Applejack’s broken heart and wounded soul, a sorrow that could not be conveyed in words but only understood by experiencing it. Maybe finding Applejack’s parents would help; maybe not. But Twilight knew she had to at least try. She reached out to another strand....



Twilight leaned back unchewing an apple while Granny Smith tap-danced by her. “And so Ah tried to defeat Discord, but none of mah so-called ‘friends’ would lift a hoof to help me.”

A voice interrupted Twilight’s relaxation. “Applejack, I'm here to fight for our friendship!” Big Mac popped up from a hole in the ground and promptly licked the unicorn.

“Oh, now you want to fight. Where you went when Ah was battlin' Discord?” Twilight began punching an imaginary draconequus before getting thrown to the ground by the unicorn.

“Snap out of it. This isn't you! You're not a liar.” The unicorn lit her horn and touched it to Twilight’s forehead, instantly flooding her mind with memories of her friends.

Dazed, Twilight shook her head, “Wh-what happened? Twilight! Ah saw a vision of us feudin' and fightin'. Ah couldn't face the truth, so Ah started tellin' lies. Can you ever forgive me?”

“I already have. Come on!”



Breaking free of the memory, Twilight returned to the matrix. The books warned her about this: Applejack’s subconscious, feeling another’s presence, tried to be helpful by guiding Twilight to shared memories. Though well-intentioned, it would make Twilight’s job much more difficult. She focused hard, trying to find memory strands that were not at the forefront of Applejack’s mind....



Twilight watched her friends and family depart the hospital room. Nearly to the door, Apple Bloom turned and darted back to Granny Smith, giving her grandmare one last hug before running out of the room in tears. The alicorn was the last to leave, offering a reassuring smile before gently pulling the door shut, leaving the two mares alone together.

Twilight gazed down at her grandmother, a mare she had looked up to all her life. Granny Smith lay weak and frail, the fire that once burned in her eyes nearly extinguished. But even now, at the very end, she still set the example to follow. The elderly mare accepted her mortality and prepared for a dignified death.

“Applejack...?” she wheezed.

“Ah’m here Granny?” Twilight leaned in, hanging on every word.

“There’s somethin’ Ah need ta tell ya....” What little remaining color drained from her face.
“Somethin’ Ah should ’ave told ya a long time ago.”

“Yes?”

“It won’t be easy t’hear.” She gazed up, her eyes filling with regret.

“Granny?” Twilight could see the pain in her grandmare’s eyes as she battled to get the words out.

“You’re....” She closed her eyes and exhaled slowly.

“It’s okay –”

“No!” she gasped. She took a labored breath and struggled to reach out to her granddaughter. “Ah ’ave ta tell ya.... Ya have ta know the truth. You’re... you’re...” Her sorrowful eyes stared deeply into Twilight’s. “...adopted.” Her outstretched foreleg fell back onto the bed.

“Adopted!” No! It cain’t be. Ah cain’t be adopted. Ah’m an Apple! She’s delirious or somethin’!

“Ah’m sorry sugarcube,” she apologized. “Ah know yer hurtin’, but cain’t wait no longer.... Ah’m the only one left who knows.” She closed her eyes again, fighting for breath and time. “It was a few years after Mac was born. Yer pa found a basket on the front porch one mornin’.... Ya know the one... in the attic?” Twilight nodded. “Ya were the most precious foal.” Granny Smith longingly gazed at her granddaughter. “We tried ta find ya’s parents.... But we couldn’t. No note or nothin’.” She ever so slowly shook her head. “We decided ta raise ya as our own. We registered ya as Applejack Apple... daughter of Bright Mac and Buttercup... cause that’s what ya were.... We all luved ya as any other Apple.” Granny Smith sighed, “Ah’m sorry Ah didn’t tell ya sooner. Yer pa and ma were goin’ ta tell ya, but....” She closed her eyes again.

Twilight stood there, dumfounded. There were a million questions to ask and things to say, but her mind was completely blank. She just couldn’t wrap her mind around Granny Smith’s confession.

“Ah’m sorry Applejack.... Ah hope ya can fergive me.”

Snapping back to the moment, though still at a complete loss, Twilight squeezed the mare’s hoof. “Of course.” She leaned over and kissed Granny Smith on the forehead, the elderly mare returning a weak smile.

“Ya somethin’ special Applejack... not blood... but an apple ta the core.” Granny Smith closed her eyes and slumped onto the pillow.

“Granny!” cried Twilight.

Just barely cracking her eyes, Granny Smith rasped, “Ah’m tired. Ah think Ah’ll take a little rest.” She closed her eyes again.



Twilight stumbled out of the memory. Completely drained, she struggled to keep the spell together. She hadn’t wanted to intrude on such a... private memory. But it made sense. Besides shared memories, strong personal memories, especially recent ones, were the easiest to access. And that memory had certainly been a strong personal one. Twilight wasn’t sure how many more of those she could endure, the strain already wearing her down. Still, she reached out....



Twilight pulled back the bush to reveal two trees – one apple and one pear – intertwined in a loving embraced.

“Whoa,” uttered Grand Pear.

“It's beautiful,” observed Granny Smith.

“It's... impossible,” he replied.

Twilight smiled. “If anything's gonna make it through, it's apples and pears.” She hugged her family, then stared up at the two living trees. She felt closer to her parents than she had in years....



Twilight once again found herself in the matrix. That memory – it was a one of family. Even though Applejack knew they weren’t her real family, the fact that it was such a strong memory meant Applejack still held tightly to her family. It relieved Twilight to know that her friend hadn’t really cut herself off from her family. Refocusing, Twilight reached out into the depths of Applejack’s mind, to a memory she hoped would get her closer to her goal....



The curtains drew back. Twilight gracefully walked down the catwalk, pausing at the end to show off her beautiful gown. Turning, she strutted back down the runway, hips swaying seductively with each step, then struck a pose worthy of any fashion magazine.

“Is this some kind of joke?” demanded Rarity.

Using her best Manehattan accent, one cultivated during her time with Aunt and Uncle Orange, Twilight asked, “Why, Rarity, whatever would make you think I was joking?”

“Because you would never wear an ensemble like that. You like plowing fields and hauling apples—” declared the unicorn.

“And I can like fashion just as much,” countered Twilight as she pushed down Rarity’s straw hat.

“But you don't!”

“Well, maybe you do not know me as well as you think.”

“Fine. But Ah got a whole festival to plan, so if you're goin' to start modelin', just get on with it!”

Twilight smiled at her friend’s annoyance. The plan would work as long as she pushed Rarity far enough. “Life is a festival, and you should celebrate it by looking just like me! Because I'm a trend-setting fashionista!”

Rarity stood agape. “You're a trend-setting fashionista?! Why, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever– I mean...” She paused, returning to her faux-country accent. “Good fer you. Ah, on the other hoof, couldn't care less how Ah look, long as Ah get the chores done.” She used her back leg to scratch her mane in a very un-ladylike manner.

Twilight descended the stairs and circled her friend. Even though she was irritating Rarity to no end, she couldn’t help but enjoy this a little. “Oh, is that so?”

“Yes, indeedy-doodle!”

“Not me! My mane needs to be perfectly coiffed at all times.”

A frustrated Rarity removed the hat and angrily declared, “Well, my mane is full of dust and split ends!”

“My hooves are so polished, you can see your reflection in them,” Twilight said, looking down to see Applejack’s reflection gazing back.

“My hooves are cracked and dry from working in the fields!” retorted Rarity.

“I'm so fashion-forward.”

“I wear droopy drawers!” yelled Rarity.

“I smell like rosebuds.”

“Ah luv bein’ covered in mud!” She dove face-first into the pigpen, sending mud flying everywhere, including on to Twilight’s gown.

Rarity stood in horror at what she’d done. “Goodness! Your couture!” She tried removing the stain with her mud-covered hooves, only to make it far worse. “Ooh, it's bad.” Finally snapping back to her old self, she demanded, “Will somepony bring me a towel to wipe this repulsive filth from my hooves?!”

Twilight smiled and threw a foreleg around her friend. “There's the Rarity Ah know!”

“Oh, Applejack, I'm sorry I said all those things. You're a true friend who probably knows me better than I know myself. I don't know what I was thinking wearing this ridiculous outfit.”

Twilight chuckled, “Ah kinda know how you feel.”

“Oh, but you were just trying to help me see how silly I was being. And you were right.” She sighed at the mess she’d made of Applejack’s dress. “Besides, that gown looks just gorgeous on you. I wish I hadn't ruined it.”

“Thanks! It's nice, ain't it?”

“It's magnificent! Wherever did you get it?”

Oh shit. “Oh, it's – uh – one of yours.”

Rarity grabbed Spike and ordered, “I'll need three gallons of boiling water and one ounce of detergent, stat!”



Well, that wasn’t what she was looking for at all. Still, Twilight couldn’t help mentally chuckling. She wished she had witnessed this stunt at the time. Rarity was definitely in for some friendly teasing, with maybe Applejewel making a reappearance. But wait! Rarity was one of Applejack’s oldest friends. Perhaps she could be the key to finding the lost memory? Twilight followed the thread deeper into Applejack’s memory, finding older similar fibers....


Bright sunshine poured through the open window, filling the bedroom with vibrant light. A gentle breeze rustled the curtains, carrying the sweet smell of apple blossoms. Birds chirped happily in the trees. The outdoors beckoned, calling out to be enjoyed.

Instead Twilight sat in silence, alone in her room. A lasso rested idly in her tiny hooves. Practicing rope tricks always made her happy. But today, all she could do was stare at it. She felt no motivation to do anything, especially anything that made her happy. All she wanted to do was just sit by herself and let the day pass by....

Tap! Tap!

Twilight looked up to see a filly Rarity standing in the door. “Hello Applejack. May I come in?” she asked.

“Sure,” Twilight replied before focusing once more upon the lasso.

Rarity walked over and sat down in the chair opposite Twilight. “So, this is your room...?”

“Eeyup.”

“I’ve never been here before.”

“Nnope.”

“Well, it’s rather... rustic.”

“Eeyup.”

“Maybe I can help out? Fashion is my thing. I hope to get my cutie mark in it. Ooh, we could hang some new drapes. Perhaps a new bedspread? And I was thinking –”

“Nnope.”

“No?”

“Ah like mah room the way it is,” Twilight said, never looking up.

“Of course, how silly of me.” A long, uncomfortable silence followed. “Is that a lasso?”

“Eeyup.”

“You do those rope tricks like the cowponies at rodeos?”

“Eeyup.”

“Ooh! Let’s go outside and you can show me. It is a beautiful day after all.”

“Nnope.”

“No?”

“Ah – Ah don’t wanna go outside.”

“Oh.” Another long silence followed.

Twilight continued to stare at the rope in her hooves, hoping Rarity would just leave her alone. The lasso became an item of extreme interest. Twilight scrutinized the knot, visualizing tying it over and over again. The rope twisted back and forth around itself, creating the perfect loop knot – loose enough to allow the rope to tighten without effort, yet strong enough to stand up to the worst punishment. Twilight examined the braids, the twists of individual strands creating a durable rope of immense strength, able to take down the biggest of livestock. She counted every stray fiber a dozen times. She remembered practicing with the lasso for hours on end, from fancy tricks to simple roping of the livestock. Every memory of a rope trick she’d even seen performed at a rodeo ran through her mind endlessly. Twilight didn’t know how much time had passed – perhaps an hour – and still the unicorn sat in the chair opposite her, never moving. At last, Twilight couldn’t take it anymore. “Why are ya here? Ya ain’t never come over b’fore.”

“I – I was worried.”

“Ah’m fine.”

“No, you’re not.”

“Yeah Ah am.”

“Everyday at school, while we’re playing at recess, you just sit there, alone. Just like you’re doing now.”

“So?”

“I know you’re in pain, dear. I’ve seen you cry –”

Twilight jerked up and angrily shouted, “Ah ain’t never cried. Mah folks raised me ta be a strong pony!” Twilight felt ashamed and cast her gaze downwards so she didn’t have to look Rarity in the eye. The scene began to blur, and drops began pattering onto the lasso.

Hoofsteps moved across the floor and the bed shifted as another pony sat down. Twilight could feel a gentle embrace around her. “It’s okay dear.”

“No it’s not.” Twilight began sniffling, and tears began to flow down her cheeks.

“I know it isn’t easy.” Rarity paused for a moment. “Would you like to know something?”

“What?”

“If it happened to me, I don’t think I’d be as strong as you. I’d cry all the time. But you have something that I don’t.”

“What’s that?”

“An older brother and grandmare who love you. Your family loves you, Applejack. And so do your friends.”

Twilight looked into Rarity’s eyes. “Are we friends?”

Rarity pulled her in for a hug. “Of course dear....”



Twilight came out of the memory. Rarity had alluded to this, but now she fully understood the depths of her friendship with Applejack. It cast both of them in new light. Though not quite there, Twilight was going in the right direction. She reached out again....



Two coffins. Two plain coffins. Two plain, sealed coffins.

Next to her, draped in black stood Granny Smith. The mare exhibited a stern, determined look. On her other side stood a solemn McIntosh, the colt wearing a small suit. Everywhere she looked, Twilight saw Apples dressed in black. Some wept, others stood in silence. Before all of them a large stallion read from a book: “...ashes to ashes, dust to dust...”



Twilight tore free of the memory, gasping imaginary air. The pain – the grief. It was overwhelming and all-consuming. She – she wanted to end the spell and return to the barn, try again some other time. But she was getting closer. Could she find her way back to this part of Applejack’s mind again? And if so, would she have to endure everything all over? Twilight wasn’t sure she could bear to go through such painful memories again. Digging further, she found a smaller fiber....



Twilight lay under heavy blankets, burning up. She ached all over and let out several violent coughs. Next to the bed stood a smiling mare.

“Mamma –”

“Hush now my sweet Applejack.” She kissed Twilight’s forehead and began singing softly, slowly:

♪I know a little filly
I see her every day
And though it may sound silly
She keeps the night away

♫Cause when she cries
it’s not some ornamental sigh
and when she breathes
it brings the world to its knees

♪But when she smiles
It’s when she smiles

♫Now she’s the light I long for
She’s the light I see
Long as the moon rises
I’ll have dreams of thee

Twilight’s eyelids felt very heavy and the world faded away into darkness.



Yes, the memories were getting older. Twilight knew she was close. She continued reaching out, sensing the different strands, searching for the oldest she could find. Then she stopped. Twilight felt a tiny fiber, nothing more than a mere sliver of a memory. Just grasping it in her magic, the fragment threatened to shatter. Twilight would have to reinforce the fragment before attempting to access it. Pulling forth her remaining strength, she added several spells to buttress the memory. Satisfied she had done all she could, she hesitantly entered....



Bright colors – reds, yellows, greens – but most of all blue. Two figures – vague shapes, yet somehow familiar. A mare. A stallion. A sense of happiness –


Twilight stumbled backwards and lost her balance, landing flat on her back. Stars swirled overhead while the barn roof spun in place. Her head ached as if a vice was slowly tightening around her skull. It was like being on the most nauseating carnival ride at Pony Island.

At length she gazed over to Applejack, lying on her side unconscious. Using all her strength, Twilight rolled on to her hooves and stood up. She took an uneasy step forward and fell face-first into the dirt. Undeterred, Twilight crawled on her belly to her friend, shaking her. “Applejack! Are you okay?”

The farm pony groaned and cracked an eye. “Twilight? It’s like Ah’ve been hit in the head with a two-by-four.”

“Just rest.”

The two mares laid there for a long time, side-by-side, recovering from the ordeal. Finally, still visibly dazed, Applejack sat up. “What happened?” she asked, rubbing her head.

“The memory collapsed on me.”

“Didja – didja...?”

“Yes.”

“Ya know who my birth parents are?”

“No, I couldn’t see them clearly.”

“So, it was all fer nothin’?” sighed Applejack.

Twilight shook her head. “I’m not ready to give up. Tomorrow I’m going to go back to the Canterlot Library to do more research.”

Author's Note:

Well, if you like long chapters, then you hit the jackpot today! This is the longest chapter of the story and was the most difficult to write. Mainly because we're bouncing between three places (barn, Applejack's mind, and Applejack's memories), and I did my best to make it clear. Also, I had to choose the memories carefully. I wanted some familiar memories (the confrontation; time with Grande Pear; Applejewel's appearance at the Ponyville Days Festival) to anchor the reader's experience. But I also wanted to grow the characters, so I included some "new" memories (Granny Smith's deathbed confession; Rarity comforting Applejack; a scene with Pear Butter; the funeral). I think all things considered I balanced everything well.

Special thanks to RaylanKrios. The lullaby sung by Pear Butter comes from his story Three Gems and a Scooter and is used with permission. I suck at songwriting, or even rhyming, which is why Zecorra rarely appears in my stories. If you remember my story Not Again!, Big Mac approaches her hut only to turn away. Nevertheless, I appreciate him letting me use his song.

Anyways, I really hope you enjoyed the story up to this point. As always, the next chapter will be posted the day after tomorrow.

Dreadnought