• Published 16th May 2018
  • 4,678 Views, 146 Comments

Deathbed Confession - Dreadnought



Granny Smith confesses a family secret that will shake the Apple family to the core.

  • ...
14
 146
 4,678

Chapter I

Twilight Sparkle shifted uneasily in her chair, whose soft cushions did little to distract her from the dismal surroundings. The heavy air reeked of nothing but Clorox, Lysol, floor wax and every other type of cleaning agent and disinfectant known in Equestria. The fluorescent lights overhead filled the room with an artificial, sterile light of such intensity and uniformity that it saturated the senses. And the room lay ominously quiet, the silence only broken by the ceaseless Tick, Tick, Tick from the wall clock. But the other ponies in the room really made the scene depressing.

To her right sat Starlight Glimmer, nervously glancing around the room and always on the verge of speaking, but never able to find the words. Next to her was Rarity, her normally immaculate appearance now quite disheveled. She absentmindedly stroked Sweetie Belle’s mane as the younger unicorn laid her head on her sister’s lap. Scootaloo could offer little comfort, instead anxiously fiddling with her hooves as the time slowly passed. And at the far end, Fluttershy fought a losing battle to maintain her composure, tears frequently pooling in her eyes before silently trickling down her cheeks.

To Twilight’s left were the two most active ponies she knew – Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie. The blue pegasus, winner of countless races and flying competitions, merely slumped in her chair. A mare more accustomed to quick – often violent – action, she was lost just sitting idle with nothing to do. Meanwhile the normally manic pink mare looked equally lost. Nothing gave her greater happiness than making ponies smile, but nothing could elicit a smile from the present company, not that Pinkie Pie really tried. Instead she nibbled on yet another frosted cupcake as she stared down at the white floor tiles. Perhaps it was the light, but Pinkie Pie’s coat appeared a duller shade of pink and her mane seemed to hang limply about her.

But the group of ponies sitting on the couch directly across from Twilight made the scene truly heart-wrenching. Big McIntosh sat quietly without his usual horse collar, clearly exhausted from the emotional drain he was enduring. Sugar Belle leaned into the large stallion, providing him more emotional than physical support. Her attempts at putting on a brave face failed to hide her own worry. Next to the pair sat Applejack, holding her sister Apple Bloom tight. The younger filly sniffled frequently and her eyes bore an unmistakable red hue. The older mare failed to notice, her vacant stare indicating her thoughts lay elsewhere.

With each unrelenting Tick of the clock, the tension continued to build to unbearable levels. Even though Twilight could hardly stand it, she knew the Apple family was enduring far worse. If only she could do something or say something. But there was nothing she could do, nothing she could say that would help. Right now the most she could do was simply be there for emotional support. And so she sat, along with the rest of her friends, offering silent prayers.

At last the door swung open, and instantly twelve sets of eyes fell upon the amber-colored unicorn wearing a white lab coat. Everypony sat up, hoping for good news. But Dr. Horse’s face revealed the terrible truth, and twelve hearts shattered at once.

“I’m... I’m afraid I have bad news,” he began.

“What is it?” pressed Big Mac, his voice trembling.

“She has congestive heart failure.”

“Ain’t there anythin’ ya can do?” he asked, almost pleading.

Closing his eyes and shaking his head, Dr. Horse replied, “I’m afraid not. She’s very old, and her heart is simply giving out. I’m very sorry.”

“How....” Big Mac swallowed, fighting back tears. “How long does she have?”

“Hours. A day at most.”

The room filled with gasps and a number of whimpers before a long pause settled over the group, with no one sure what to say.

At last, Apple Bloom looked up, eyes full of sorrow. “Can we see her?”

“Yes. I would recommend seeing her now while she’s still awake.” He stepped aside, and slowly the assembled ponies filed into the hospital room.

Twilight followed the rest into the room but stopped short, shocked by the sight before her. An electrocardiogram stood vigil over the bed, registering each faint heartbeat. Almost completely hidden by heavy blankets, only Granny Smith’s head was visible. The color had drained from the mare’s face, leaving her the palest of greens. And her white mane, no longer tied in her trademark bun, ran freely across the pillow and onto the blankets.

At the sound of hoofsteps upon the floor, Granny Smith cracked her eyes and forced a weak smile. “It’s so good t’see y’all,” she said in a raspy voice, barely above a whisper.

Everypony gathered around the elderly mare, knowing that this would probably be the last time they would see her alive.

“Granny...” began Applejack.

“Now don’t y’all be frettin’. It’s mah time. Ah’ve made my peace wit that.... But there’s some things Ah need to say. Big Mac....” He leaned in close to hear her words. “Ah’m so proud of you. Ya turned out just like yer pa, big and strong. And you got a real nice fillyfriend, ya’hear?” Sugar Belle smiled as she wiped away tears.

“Ah love you Granny,” he said, gingerly reaching down and hugging her.

“Ah love you too. Apple Bloom?” The filly approached her grandmare’s side. “Ah need ya ta be strong....”

“Granny?”

“You’re young, but Ah know you’ve got a great future ’head of ya.” Granny Smith struggled to produce a foreleg and Apple Bloom went in for the hug. “Where’s those friends of yours?” Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle joined Apple Bloom at the bedside. “Ah need you two t’be there fer Apple Bloom while Ah’m gone. Can ya do that fer me?” The fillies nodded and Granny Smith’s smile grew slightly wider. She gazed out at the rest of the assembled ponies huddled around her bed. “Ah love y’all like the kin ya are... an’ hope y’all will look after mah family when Ah’m gone.” Receiving confirmations, a dash of color flashed across her face, before it grew grave. “Ah need ta say somethin’ ta Applejack.”

After a pause, everyone realized what she meant and they began to depart. Nearly to the door, Apple Bloom turned and darted back to Granny Smith, giving her grandmare one last hug before running out of the room in tears. Twilight found herself the last to leave and, after a reassuring glance to Applejack, stepped outside and pulled the door shut....

Once again, everypony took their seats in the waiting room. Big Mac held Sugar Belle and Apple Bloom close, the three of them drawing support from each other. Pinkie Pie sat motionless, transfixed by the floor. Rainbow Dash did her best to fight back tears, while Rarity wiped her eyes with an embroidered handkerchief. Fluttershy openly wept, and Starlight provided what comfort she could.

The door opened, revealing a ragged Applejack. Her eyes wide and her color pale, she had aged several years in a matter of minutes. She closed the door behind her and approached the grieving group.

“Is she...?” attempted Apple Bloom.

Snapping out of her trance, Applejack looked at her family and shook her head. “She’s just restin’.” After a brief moment, she closed her eyes and quickly glanced away.

“Applejack...?” began Twilight.

“Oh – uh.... If y’all excuse me, Ah need a minute,” she said. Without further explanation, Applejack turned from everypony and walked down the hall in silence.

Author's Note:

So, after several months, I'm finally publishing a new story. I don't know how the time got by me. Oh yes - I do remember. Working forty hours a week at the office, exercising at the gym up to twenty hours a week, out doing stuff with friends on the weekend. Nevertheless, it feels good to get something new out. It's my second* Applejack story, the first being The Labors of Applejack. Expect me to wrap up that story shortly. I'm also working on Friendship is Magic: The Movie. And finally, I'm trying to finish the great mysterious story listed on my page as Untitled Drama. Lots to do.

I had the idea for this story for a while. I had set it aside as I worked with Dreams of Ponies on the sequel to my story The Secret Life of... Scootaloo. But after suffering a severe bout of writer's block, I do what I often do - work on something else until I can come back to the original project. And so I chose this story, projecting roughly 5k words. Well, like many of my stories, it grew beyond my intentions and now stands a slightly over 13k words. But I feel I've upped my writing with this one, so I didn't trade quality for quantity. But that's probably more than you wanted to know. So, be sure to check back Thursday for the next chapter of Deathbed Confession.

Dreadnought