• Published 16th May 2018
  • 4,675 Views, 146 Comments

Deathbed Confession - Dreadnought



Granny Smith confesses a family secret that will shake the Apple family to the core.

  • ...
14
 146
 4,675

Chapter III

Carousel Boutique seemed like the logical place to start. Rarity lived the closest to the castle, just a few minutes’ walk away. As the only other member of the close-knit circle of friends to grow up in Ponyville, she had also known Applejack the longest. And finally, Twilight remembered the two friends shared weekly spa visits, so the unicorn might know something that could shed light on this worrisome situation.

Ding-ding! A jingling bell announced Twilight’s arrival to the shop. A voice greeted from another room, “Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where every garment is chic....” Rarity entered the room. “...Uni – oh. Hello Twilight.”

“Hello Rarity.”

“To what do I owe this unexpected visit? Here for a new seasonal outfit? Ooh – I’ve come up with the most elegant design for your Grand Galloping Gala dress. You will look absolutely fabulous!” Smiling, she levitated a measuring tape and stepped towards Twilight.

“No – I’m actually here to talk about... Applejack.”

Rarity’s smile vanished. “I see.” Pausing for a moment of thought, she suggested, “Perhaps some tea, dear?”

“Yes, thank you.”

Twilight followed Rarity into the kitchen and sat down at the table. The unicorn set a kettle upon the stove before taking a seat opposite her friend.

“How was your weekly spa visit with Applejack?” began Twilight.

“...We didn’t have one.”

“You didn’t?”

Rarity sighed, “We haven’t spent any time at the spa since before....”

“Granny Smith passed away?” finished Twilight.

“Yes,” Rarity reluctantly confirmed.

“Why?”

“Believe me, I’ve invited Applejack several times, but she says she’s too busy. She said now that there’s only three of them, there’s more work for each of them to do.”

“You don’t sound too convinced.”

Rarity shook her head, “No.” A lull hung over the two before she lamented, “I wish she would come with me. Poor dear’s been through a lot lately. I really think it’d do her some good to get her mind off of things and relax for a while.”

Twilight pondered what her friend had said. “How would you describe Applejack when you last saw her?”

“She’s – changed.”

“How so?”

“Applejack has always been one of the friendliest of ponies. Well, maybe not as much as Pinkie Pie, but then again Pinkie is in a league all her own. Applejack’s always been very warmhearted and ready to drop what she’s doing to help a friend. But now she seems....”

“Closed off?”

“Hmm. I would say detached. It’s more like she’s avoiding something.... I’ve seen it before.”

“You mean after the Canterlot Rodeo?”

“No... after her parents’ deaths.”

Seeing her friend’s face darken, she gently encouraged, “Rarity?”

Squeee!!!!!!

Rarity turned and trotted over to the steaming kettle while Twilight released a breath she didn’t realize she’d been holding. Though most everypony knew the truth, the story of the tragedy caused such heartache and pain that it was hardly ever alluded to, let alone discussed, in the presence of any member of the Apple family. Rarity had confidentially related the facts shortly after the defeat of Nightmare Moon, before Twilight broached the taboo topic and put her hoof in her mouth.

A loaded tray set upon the table, snapping Twilight out her thoughts. She added milk into her tea as Rarity mixed several sugar cubes and a large serving of honey to her brew. The unicorn levitated her cup and took a long sip, seemingly lost in the past. Eventually she came back to the present and reluctantly resumed her story. “In those days, Applejack and I weren’t very close. We were in the same class, so we saw each other almost every day. But we had different interests and friends, so the two of us almost never socialized outside of school.” Rarity paused, the silence betraying regret. Finally, she took a deep breath and closed her eyes, steeling herself for what came next. Her voiced cracked, “It was so heartbreaking to see her come to school the day after the funeral....”

“How did Applejack react?”

Rarity took another slow sip from her cup. “I – I suppose she acted as one might expect. She was very distraught having just lost both her parents – crying when she thought no one was looking – and sometimes she became very angry. I did what I could to console her.... I think that is when we started really becoming friends. But,” she gazed off again, “Applejack left Ponyville shortly thereafter.”

“For Manehattan?”

“Yes, dear. She told me that she wanted to try the high-society life and was going to stay with her Aunt and Uncle Orange. At the time I believed her but looking back I think she just wanted to get away. Everything reminded her of her parents, and for a traumatized filly of such a tender age, that can be overwhelming.” Rarity straightened up and forced a smiled, though her voice was still pained. “But we all know how it turned out: Rainbow Dash’s sonic rainboom led to us all earning our cutie marks and Applejack returned to her family at Sweet Apple Acres.”

Twilight absentmindedly drank her tea as she considered this new revelation.

After sitting in silence for a long time, Rarity assured her friend, “I don’t think she’ll run off to Manehattan again. She loves it here. I cannot imagine Applejack leaving her family and farm.”

“Still, I’m concerned. It would be one thing for her to be distant with us... but her brother and sister?”

“What makes you say that?”

“Big Mac came by the castle earlier. He was really worried about Applejack.”

Rarity leaned forward over the table. “What did he say?”

Twilight bit her lip, unsure how much of their conversation to reveal. “He said she doesn’t talk much and spends most of the time by herself.”

Rarity sat up again, adding yet more sugar to her tea. “Something is very wrong indeed. Perhaps we should go talk to her?”

Twilight looked down at her empty cup. “Well, first I’d like to talk with the other girls and ask if they’ve seen the same thing. Once we know everything, we can come up with a way to help Applejack.”

“I... suppose that would be prudent. I’ll be right here for when you need me.”

“We’ll help her get through this,” Twilight assured, rising from her seat.

“We can’t let her carry this burden alone. As her friends, we must do everything we can to help her through this.”

“I’ll let you know when I have something.”

“Thank you, dear.” Rarity took another long sip of her tea as she became lost in thought once again.

Twilight left Carousel boutique, the bell announcing her departure. Walking down one of the main streets of Ponyville, she ran into many of the townsfolk. It seemed everypony wanted to talk with the Princess of Friendship this morning. Though she would stop and chat for a moment to be polite, she refused to become sidetracked from her mission. Twilight pressed onward to her next destination – the whimsically decorated Sugarcube Corner.

Pinkie Pie’s manifesto declared it her mission to make everypony smile, so she likely had frequented Sweet Apple Acres over the past few weeks. And given the fact that she was a cousin – well, a possible cousin – Applejack could have discussed matters with her. Though, on the other hoof, if Applejack hadn’t said anything to her own brother and sister, it was unlikely she would have confided anything to Pinkie. Still, if the sacred oath of a Pinkie Promise had been invoked, Applejack might have opened up. And even if Pinkie wasn’t at liberty to divulge anything, it would relieve Twilight to know that Applejack hadn’t completely closed herself off from everypony.

Opening the door, Twilight became overwhelmed by a rush of wonderful, mouth-watering scents. Before her the shop overflowed with cakes, pies, muffins, doughnuts, and every other imaginable sweet treat known in Equestria. Everything was either frosted, glazed, chocolate-covered or candy-coated. Twilight’s stomach demanded food with an emphatic growl. “Hello?” she called out to the empty shop.

The kitchen door swung opened and a pink mare, mane fluffy like cotton candy, bounced into the room. “Hiya Twilight,” she beamed.

“Hi Pinkie.”

“I’ve got free samples today!”

Twilight eagerly approached the counter. “You do?”

“Yep. I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen again.”

Twilight stopped dead in her tracks. “Have you been making strawberry cinnamon cilantro cupcakes?”

Pinkie giggled. “I will never bake those again!”

“Whew.”

“Today I made banana avocado jalapeño muffins,” she proudly proclaimed.

Twilight suddenly lost her appetite. “Oh. I – just had tea with Rarity.”

“Hmm. Everypony who’s come in today has turned them down – except for Derpy. Oh well, I’m sure more ponies will want to try them. So, what’s up? Besides the sky!” she giggled.

“Have you been by Sweet Apple Acres lately?”

“Oh yes. I know how sad the Apples have been, and I wanted to cheer them up. I’ve taken over cakes and muffins and fresh bread and pies – but not apple pies, they bake the best apple pies in Equestria after all!”

“How did they react?”

“Big Mac and Apple Bloom were always very happy to see me.”

“And Applejack?”

“She was always too busy to talk to me.”

“She was?”

“Yeah. I would go out to the orchards and I tried everything I could think of to cheer her up: singing, dancing, telling jokes, helping with chores – I’m really terrible at bucking apple trees, by the way – but nothing worked. I haven’t seen a case of the frownies this bad since Cranky Doodle came to Ponyville. Ooh!” She began signing:

♪ Cranky Doodle went to town,
Looking for a pony.
There he found his one true love,
Now it’s matrimony! ♫

“That’s – actually pretty good.”

“Thanks. Though I can’t figure out what the tune is.”

Twilight rolled her eyes as she returned to the topic at hoof. “Pinkie, did Applejack tell you anything?”

“No... should she have?” the pink mare asked, sticking a batter-covered beater into her mouth.

“I was just hoping she might have opened up to you about what’s going on.”

Pulling the beater out of her mouth, Pinkie asked, “What’s going on?”

“Well....” Twilight did her best to hide her emotions, but her concern shone through.

“Is something wrong with Applejack?”

“I....” Twilight didn’t want to alarm her friend, but she didn’t want to lie either. “I don’t know. Ever since the funeral, she’s been isolating herself – working all the time and refusing to spend time with her friends. I – Rarity and I are getting concerned.”

“We should go talk to her right now!” Pinkie bounced forward then froze in mid-air. “Oh, but I can’t. I’m watching Pound and Pumpkin and they’re upstairs napping.” She floated down to the floor like a feather.

“That’s alright. I want to talk with Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash first.”

“Okay. I’ll be sure to ask everypony I see if they know anything.”

“No!” Pinkie returned a shocked expression while Twilight paused so as to speak with a calmer voice. “I don’t want this to get beyond us. If a lot of ponies start streaming into Sweet Apple Acres wanting to talk to her, it could make things worse.”

“Oh. Okay.”

“I’ll come get you when I need you. Right now I’m going to talk with Fluttershy.”

“Ooh.” Pinkie’s face suddenly lit up and she bounced into the kitchen. A moment later she returned carrying a brown paper bag. “Here’s three banana avocado jalapeño muffins – one for Fluttershy, one for Rainbow Dash, and one for you when you get hungry.”

Twilight forced a smile and reluctantly took the bag. “Thanks. I’ll see you later,” she said, turning towards the door.

“Bye.”

Twilight left Sugarcube Corner and trotted down the street. Though she really hadn’t expected to get anything from Pinkie Pie, their conversation confirmed just how serious the situation was with Applejack. Now it was time to talk with Fluttershy. Twilight fervently hoped that the pegasus would know something. Fluttershy’s sweet and kind nature, known for taming the wildest and most ferocious beasts in Equestria, had often soothed ponies’ pain and in the process she had repeatedly served as a shoulder to cry upon. There was a chance that Applejack had talked with Fluttershy.

Knock! Knock!

After a moment, the door opened. “Hello Twilight.”

“Good afternoon Fluttershy. Are you busy?”

“No, no. Please come in. I’m glad you’re here, actually. I really wanted to talk to you.”

Stepping inside, Twilight took a seat on the sofa while Fluttershy sat in her beloved armchair. “What did you want to talk about?”

Fluttershy’s face fell. “I’m... I’m worried about Applejack.”

Twilight eagerly leaned forward. “Did she tell you something?”

Fluttershy shook her head. “No. But I can tell something is very wrong. She’s turned down every offer I’ve made, whether it be for tea, or dinner, or a picnic. And Winona, she’s... depressed. And not just because of Granny Smith. Applejack’s behavior is taking its toll on Winona. I don’t know what to do.”

Twilight sat back in her seat. She rubbed her head and sighed, “Big Mac came by the castle this morning. He’s really concerned for his sister. He told me that she’s always working and has shut herself off from everypony, including them.” Fluttershy gasped, but Twilight continued. “I talked with Rarity and Pinkie Pie, and they’ve only confirmed what he told me. I was hoping you might know what’s really going on.”

“I’m sorry. Everytime I try to talk to her, Applejack says she’s too busy to chat.”

“I doubt she’ll be able to tell me anything, but I still want to talk with Rainbow Dash before seeing Applejack. Thank you for the information.”

“I wish I could have been more help. But whatever I can do, please let me know.”

“Of course,” said Twilight rising from the sofa. “Oh, by the way, Pinkie sent you a muffin.” She levitated one from the bag over to her friend.

“That’s thoughtful of her. What kind is it?”

“Banana avocado jalapeño.”

Fluttershy gave a disgusted expression, before confirming, “Banana avocado jalapeño?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh my. Did you have one?”

“No, though she sent one along for me.”

“Well, uh –”

“I know they sound terrible. You don’t have to eat it.”

“But I wouldn’t want to hurt Pinkie Pie’s feelings.”

“I don’t want you to get sick either. What about those strawberry cinnamon cilantro cupcakes she made?”

Fluttershy’s face turned green. “I still remember the taste – and aftertaste.”

“Perhaps one of your animals would like it?”

Fluttershy shook her head. “Oh, I couldn’t do that to any of my animals.”

After a pause, unsure what to suggest to her friend, Twilight said, “Well, I really need to go talk with Rainbow Dash. I’ll stop by later after I know something.”

“Thank you.”

Twilight left the cottage, now more worried than ever. She desperately wanted to go straight to Sweet Apple Acres and confront Applejack, to get the truth straight from the horse’s mouth. But she determined the best course of action was to follow through with her original plan and talk with all her friends first. Now only one remained....

Rainbow Dash was the most stubborn pony – well, second most stubborn after Applejack – in Ponyville. If she had picked up that something was wrong with Applejack, she likely wouldn’t have let it go until getting an answer. Twilight desperately hoped that Rainbow would know something – anything. But based on the earlier conversations, the odds weren’t good.

A few minutes later Twilight stood before Rainbow Dash’s cloudominium. She knocked on the door and waited... nothing. She knocked again... still nothing. Finally she banged on the door. After a long pause the knob turned and the door slowly swung open to reveal a disheveled Rainbow Dash.

Yawn! “What the hay Twilight? It’s my naptime.”

“Rainbow Dash, I need to talk with you.”

“Yeah, I kinda figured,” she deadpanned.

Deciding the direct approach best, Twilight asked, “Over the past few weeks, have you noticed anything wrong with Applejack?”

“No. But I’ve been spending a lot of time at Wonderbolts practice getting ready for the new season. The few times I’ve flown over to Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack’s been busy working. Why, what’s going on?”

“I don’t know exactly. She’s closed herself off from everypony. Big Mac says she hardly talks or spends time with her family. I spoke with Fluttershy, Rarity and Pinkie Pie, and they’ve all noticed the same thing. Something’s definitely wrong.”

“Let’s grab the others and go talk to her!” Rainbow leapt into the air, only to be enveloped in a purple aura that set her gently back on the cloud.

“No Rainbow Dash!”

The pegasus’s wings flared. “What! If something’s wrong, we can’t sit around and do nothing! Applejack needs our help!”

“We’re not going to do nothing. I’m going to talk with her right now, one-on-one.”

“Hey, I’m her friend too.”

“I know, but it’s often easier to open up to one pony than five. If she feels we’re ganging up on her, it’ll only make things worse.”

Rainbow Dash refolded her wings. “I guess you’re right,” she reluctantly agreed, though still annoyed at not being able to jump right into action.

Twilight put a hoof on Rainbow Dash’s shoulder. “I know you want to help. Don’t worry, once I know what’s going on, I’ll let you all know and we can come up with some plan to help her.”

“Thanks Twilight.”

“Oh, before I go to see Applejack, Pinkie wanted me to give you something....”

Author's Note:

Thanks for all the reads and helping push this story into the Featured Box!!!

Well, we now know how serious Applejack's condition is. But what will Twilight discover at Sweet Apple Acres? Check back Monday for Chapter IV.

Dreadnought