• Published 18th Feb 2018
  • 766 Views, 215 Comments

EoH Evolution: Season 2 - Bahamut0



The Nightmare Forces have been vanquished. Peace has settled over Unity. New enemies are beginning to stir. But as new enemies rise, so do new heroes to join the fight! HEROES TO THE CORE!

  • ...
4
 215
 766

Episode 7: Eclipsed Determination

Unityville. A few hours before Nightmare Night.

A young man smiled as he entered Unityville. "Sweet. One of the few nights where I don't have to hide my ears." He then checked his backpack. "Good thing I brought my costume with me ahead of time. This oughta be a good Nightmare Night!" He then noticed Shadow's cosplay shop. "Huh. Suit Up Cosplay. Maybe they'll have what I'm looking for." As soon as he was through, the door, Shadow took notice of the young man.

"Hi there." Shadow greeted with a smile. "Getting some last-minute supplies for your costume?" Shadow then noted the young man's appearance. He had red-violet hair and eyes, medium grey skin, and was wearing ripped black jeans, grey sneakers, and a tank top with claw marks on it. But what Shadow found most distinct was the pair of wolf ears. "I see you're already wearing part of your costume. Those ears are pretty realistic."

Good! He doesn't suspect a thing! "Thanks!" The young man said with a nod. "Just here to see if you've got any weapon props. I've got an Inuyasha costume in serious need of a sword."

Shadow nodded. "Anime section. Armor rack. You can't miss it." The young man soon returned with the prop in hands. "Alright then. That'll be twenty-five bits please. So are you new in town?"

"I was thinking of moving in here." The young man answered. "Name's Night Fang. Nice to meet you!" Fang then looked around the shop. "Sweet shop you got here. Hey, you got any job openings?"

Shadow chuckled. "I'm kind of the only one working here, so an extra hand's appreciated. We'll talk more after the festival though." He then handed Fang his business card. "Keep in touch dude."

"Will do!" Fang said with a nod. He then left the cosplay shop with a smile on his face. Suddenly, Fang paused and sniffed the air. "Odd. There's a different scent around this town." Fang looked around. "Somethone doesn't smell like a regular human. . ."As Fang left to investigate, Narico was shaking in the shadows.

This place is so different from back home. Narico thought to himself as he watched all the people going about. Everyone had their own unique hair, eye, and skin color. The only way people could tell each other apart back at the hive was by their voice. The queen was the only one that looked different. But here? No two people are alike. Narico slowly stepped out from hiding, but froze when he heard someone call out to him.

"Wow! Nice costume!" Pinkie Pie chirped as she zipped right up to Narico from behind! "It looks so real! What are you dressed up as?"

Cos. . . tume? Narico thought with a puzzled expression. "Um, I'm a changeling?" Narico answered with a nervous smile.

"Neat!" Pinkie Pie said with a smile as she began inspecting Narico. "Even the wings look so life-like! What did you use to make them?"

"Uh, they're f-fragile!" Narico stammered as he backed away from Pinkie! "Nicemeetingyoubye!" Narico dashed off leaving a very confused Pinkie Pie. The people here a bit weird, but at least this lady's nice. He then noticed all of the various decorations and kids going about with their costumes already on. Well, at least I don't need to worry about shape shifting. Narico then decided to wander around town and see the sights.

Night soon fell over Unityville. Fang smiled as he saw everyone enjoying the Nightmare Night festival. And to think this place was the center of the chaos that erupted just a couple weeks back. Looks like that guy who sent out that mental message wasn't kidding when he said things were gonna get tougher. I guess that's my other reason for coming here.

"Sweet Inuyasha costume!"

Fang was snapped out of his thoughts when he saw the Elements of Heroism right behind him! "Oh, uh, thanks!" He smiled as he noted that each of the EoH were in costume. "Looks like I'm not the only hero on the scene here. But I also wouldn't have expected some of Unity's biggest heroes to be total nerds like me."

"Hey. No shame in geeking out." Inferno said with a shrug. "Especially tonight of all nights. Besides, who would shame you for having such a good costume?" He then leaned in closer. "Huh. Looks like you did a real good job on those ears. They look super detailed. Mind if I feel them?"

Fang internally panicked. "Um, no! I. . . spent a lot of time working on them. And I don't want them to get damaged."

"'Kay then. Sorry about that." Inferno said with a shrug. "So you just passing through town for the festival?"

Fang shrugged. "Maybe. It's not very often you have a group of heroes living amongst you. Well, two sets if you count you guys and the elements of harmony."

"So you came all this way out here for a meet-and-greet?" Burst Stream asked.

Fang shook his head. "Actually, I'm here because of that call you sent out. The second I heard it, there was a weird glowing spot on my arm. So, here I am. Plus?" Fang twitched his ears a little bit. "Let's just say I was able to pick up on it pretty keenly."

"So does that mean you've got a tail to match?" Arctic Ace asked. Fang promptly let his tail out and wagged it. The others looked at Ace with smirks. "I was joking! I didn't think he'd actually have one!"

Shadow Thunder smiled at Fang. "Didn't expect to be seeing you again Fang. Looks like I've got a possible fellow newbie joining me on the EoH!"

"Well, I wouldn't say that just yet. . ." Fang said as he scratched his head. "I'm not sure I even want to join. Don't get me wrong. What you guys are doing is good. But I don't know if I can commit myself to fighting hard like all of you do."

Burst Stream nodded. "It's fine Fang. The option to join is totally voluntary. Each of us that you see here is doing this because we want to. No contract to oblige, or grand call to destiny. We stand to fight because it's how we can do the most good with what we have. But just know this: There's always room for one more. The world could always use more heroes."

"I'll. . . think about it." Fang said with a nod. His ears then perked up when he picked up on something flying through the air. "Something's flying towards Unityville." Fang then sniffed the air. "It doesn't mean any harm, but it's really powerful." The group was soon joined by the Main 6. "Here it comes."

From the night sky, a hooded figure landed in the center of the crowd. The figure then removed her hood to reveal Princess Luna! However, as the princess of the night made her grand entrance, another embodiment of the dark had been observing the Nightmare Night festival. Though she had been defeated once again, Nightmare Moon was far from dead. But though she had survived, she was not among the physical world. I must admit. Being spared from oblivion is most perplexing. Though I still have my mist form, it seems I'm little more than a spirit when I try to assume my full form. Not that actually materializing would be ideal in this case. Nightmare Moon's gaze then switched to all the decorations. Namely the ones that depicted her. But what also puzzled her was all the kids going around trick-or-treating. Odd. I completely terrified all of Unity, and now they're holding a celebration with decorations modeled after me strewn all over town. Her gaze then shifted to Luna, and Nightmare Moon remembered Zecora recounting her tale. She closed her eyes and sighed. I suppose anyone would be right to fear me if they heard I devoured them. But Luna's trying to get everyone to not be afraid of her. Fear. . . that I wrought. Luna's grand proclamation didn't help matters either.

"CITIZENS OF UNITYVILLE!" Luna hollered in the Royal Castalot Voice! "WE HAVE GRACED YOUR TINY VILLAGE WITH OUR PRESENCE. SO THAT YOU MIGHT BEHOLD THE TRUE PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT!" Fang clamped his hands over his ears along with the everyone else in the crowd! All of them cringing at the sheer volume of the royal voice! "THE CREATURE OF NIGHTMARES IS NO LONGER. BUT INSTEAD, A PERSON WHO DESIRES YOUR LOVE AND ADMIRATION! TOGETHER WE SHALL CHANGE THIS DREADFUL CELEBRATION INTO A BRIGHT AND GLORIOUS FEAST!"

Nightmare Moon blinked in sheer bewilderment. Okay. I think Luna might be terrifying them all more now than I did upon our return. She then noticed Pinkie Pie screaming that Luna was going to devour them all. And, that's not going to help at all. Nightmare Moon immediately face-palmed as everyone ran in terror. This is going to be a long night. . . However, something new caught her eye. Namely that of Burst and Twilight coming up with a plan to get everyone to like Luna.

"We just can't let this happen." Burst stated. "We all worked so hard to save Luna. Everyone being scared of her still is understandable, but it's not fair to her."

Twilight nodded. "Sounds like you've got the right idea Burst. But this time? Leave it to me. You're not the only main character you know." She then gave Burst a thumbs-up. "I'm gonna make sure Luna gets her happy ending for tonight!" And with that, Twilight hurried over to Luna. However, unbeknownst to Twilight, Fang was tailing her from the shadows.

Fang took note of Twilight's attempts to introduce the public to Luna. First off there was Twilight taking Luna to see Fluttershy so she could learn how to tone down the volume of her voice. Okay. So far things are looking good. Fang thought as he happily swished his tail at seeing Luna's progress. Only for his ears to droop when he saw Pinkie leading a bunch of kids who freaked out upon mistaking Luna's hugging of Fluttershy for eating her. Fang sighed at the resulting panic. But what caught his interest was Twilight's persistent attitude. Looks like I'll have to keep tailing. Let's see how far the Element of Magic can make it on her own. What followed could only be described as a divine chain of bad luck. At the games area, Luna accidentally brought a bunch of fake spiders to life. Then when a young boy took a dive in the apple bob bucket, Luna pulled him out. And yet again, Pinkie was there to totally misread the situation. Fang watched with sad eyes as he saw Luna isolate herself from everyone and declare Nightmare Night's cancellation. O-kay. Things are pretty abysmal now. Fang walked over to Twilight. "Hey."

"Oh. Hi." Twilight said with a sad smile. "Tonight's not going the way I had hoped." Twilight said with a sigh. "Here I am putting all my effort into everyone no longer being scared of Princess Luna, and everything I've done so far has backfired." She then lowered her head in shame. "Maybe tonight was a total failure."

Fang narrowed his eyes. "Not it's not!" Fang snapped as he clamped one of his hands on Twilight's shoulder. "You've only failed if you've given up on Luna! If you don't believe that it's possible for people to like her! I'm determined to not let your efforts go to waste!" He then got right into Twilight's face, and pointed in Luna's direction. "I'm not giving up on you, so don't you dare call it quits on yourself or her!"

". . . You're right." Twilight said with a determined smile. "But first? I think we need to have a few words with Pinkie Pie." Sure enough, Fang and Twilight managed to get Pinkie alone through a trail of candy. But to their surprise, Pinkie was letting the kids she was leading run around screaming whenever Luna was near for fun!

Fang blinked in confusion. "How does that make any-"

"Don't question her." Twilight said with a sigh. "Take my word for it. Some things are just never meant to be explained. or in Pinkie's case, some people."

Fang shrugged in response. But then, an idea came to him. "Hey. If everyone likes to be scared of Luna, then let's give them what they want." He then leaned into Twilight's ear, and whispered his plan.

"Fang. You're a genius." Twilight said with an eager smile. "Come on! Let's grab Luna!" A few minutes later, Pinkie led a group of kids to the statue of Nightmare Moon. Only for the statue to be replaced what looked like the nightmare herself! But the second Pinkie and the kids bolted, Luna dispelled the illusion spell she'd cast on herself.

"I am not certain did what either of you two meant for it to do." Luna said with a frown as she looked back to Twilight and Fang. However, a young boy from the group Pinkie was leading returned and thanked Luna. She was utterly surprised, but ultimately happy. So happy that she decided to bring back Nightmare Night.

Fang watched with a smile as the group returned to the celebration. However, he noticed a bright glow coming from his upper arm. He lifted the arm sleeve of his costume, and found a mark that looked like a dark knight's helmet with red wings behind it! What startled him even more was the strange gauntlet that had materialized alongside the mark! "Okay. This night just got weird for me."

"Well, it looks like you're one of us now." Burst said with a smile as he and the other Elements of Heroism approached Fang. "That mark on your arm symbolizes your awakening. And that gauntlet you have now is your Duelist Arm. A weapon that's chosen you to be its wielder."

Fang looked at his hero crest, then down to his gauntlet. "Well, this stuff is kinda cool. But I don't get why I was chosen."

"Simple. You didn't give up on Twilight, and showed sheer determination to make Princess Luna happy." Arctic Ace said with a chuckle. "A hero can't be someone who gives up so easily. Making you the Element of Determination. Keep in mind, you don't have to join right away. But there's always a slot open if you think about changing your mind."

Fang smiled. "Thanks. I'll keep that in mind." Suddenly, Fang noticed the strange scent he'd picked up on when he arrived in Unityville. "I think I'll get back to the festival now. See ya!" Fang headed back into town, and followed the scent to a young changeling. "So. It looks like I'm not the only one hiding in plain sight."

"Eep!" Narico squeaked as he heard Fang! "U-Uh, you can have some of the candy I got!"

Fang smiled kindly. "Take it easy kid. I'm not here to hurt you. I was just wondering why I was picking up on a scent that wasn't human in town. Now I've got my answer." Fang stayed put as to not frighten Narico any further, and his wolf ears perked in curiosity. "Huh. Never seen anything like you before. Do you live here?"

"I'm a changeling." Narico answered. "And this isn't my home."

Fang nodded. "Okay then. Do you have a family? What are you doing here all by yourself? Do you have a name?"

"Well, I think I have a big sister." Narico said as he scratched his head in thought. "But she told me to run away as far as I could from my home. She said I'd see her again sometime, but I don't know. So I just kept moving until I found my way here. Then I met you. Oh! And my name's Narico."

"Name's Fang." Fang's heart sank at seeing Narico all alone here. "Well, it doesn't look like you've got anywhere to stay. So. . . how about you stay with me tonight? I can't really leave you by yourself. A kid's a kid. No matter what species. And I really doubt you'd want to stay outside when the colder months are rolling in. So, how about it?" Fang was surprised when Narico flew at him, and clung to his leg. "I. . . guess that's a yes." Fang headed for house he'd rented, and threw himself on the couch after changing into his sleeping clothes.

Narico blinked, and soon joined Fang on the couch. "Hey, Fang?"

"Yeah? What's up?" Fang asked.

"Does this make you my big brother?" Narico asked.

Fang blinked and shrugged. "Well, someone's got to be your family. So, yeah. I guess I am." Fang smiled as he saw Narico curl up against his tail. And he soon fell asleep himself.

Meanwhile, Burst Stream had decided to inspect the statue of Nightmare Moon found in the woods. "I don't know why there's a statue of you out here, but I guess people would also wonder why I'd be talking to someone who's no longer here." Unknown to Burst, Nightmare Moon's spirit form was watching him. "Well, I just want you to know, one thing good came from you being around. Maybe it's not eternal night, but at least people can be happy because of your for one reason, right?"

Nightmare Moon smiled, and put her hand on Burst's shoulder. To her surprise, and Burst's, she had actually made contact. But despite that, she was still invisible when Burst turned around to face her. She was still little more than a pile of essence in her physical form and a spirit when she tried to take her full form. You haven't changed at all from our first encounter. Trying to do all the good you can wherever you can. She thought with a sad smile. And despite all I've done, you're still willing to think good of me. And with that, she returned to the castle of the two sisters. I suppose a nightmare can dream.