• Published 10th Feb 2018
  • 7,614 Views, 339 Comments

The Rise of a Raven - Chemtest



When you work with death for a living, do you even have to question if it will claim you? Just make sure to find any loophole possible, just in case.

  • ...
60
 339
 7,614

A Whole New World (rewrite)

The unicorn, who identifies as Twilight Sparkle, nods as I finish my explanation, “So, you say you are a millennia old Necromancer from a different world.” She slightly laughs, “I have to commend you for your creativity, I’ve never heard that one before. Now why don’t you tell me your name and I can find your parents?”

I slam my new hoof into my new forehead, “You still don’t believe me? Fine then, if I have to resort to this.” I reach deep into my soul, and summon up an orb of memories from it.

Twilight’s eyes widen as she sees me form the orb, “Is that a memory orb!? Only the highest unicorns can make those!”

I nod, and fully complete the orb, “Yes, it is. It’s the exact type a scholar would love to look at. If only there was a researcher or scholar around here.”

She jumps up, “Oh, I am! Here, let me see that.” She grabs it in a telekinesis field, and taps it to her horn.

I can see her eyes cloud over as she sees the memories inside. After a minute, her eyes clear up as she blink multiple times. I absorb the orb back into my soul, and nod, “So, what was that about me being a child?”

She blinks a few more times, “So you were telling the truth. Do you know what this means?”

I shrug, “You can actually start explaining stuff to me?”

She shakes her head, “This means we can discover entirely new fields of magic! This might be the biggest discovery to ever bless Equestria!” She rambles on, before the drake Spike carries over a book, and drops it on the floor. The sound knocks her out of her rant, and she shakes her head, “Oh, what am I thinking? I haven’t even asked for your name yet!”

I nod kindly at Spike, before turning back to Twilight, “My name? I am... Raven. Ravens Breath. But that doesn’t matter. What does matter is that I actually find out what the hell is going on here. You haven’t been any help despite being a scholar, and I am a little bit confused!”

She slightly nods after my yell, “Sorry, sorry. But I’m not that good at teaching, really.” She looks at me again, “Wait, hold up. Your a foal!”

I grit my teeth from her sudden excitement, “Yes, I noticed.”

She smiles, “Well, foals go to school, right? And since you have no home, I could house you and send you to school in exchange for some knowledge from your world!”

I immediately shake my head, “No, no, no! I am not going back to school again!”

She frowns, “Why? You need to find stuff out, so school would be the best place to go. What’s so wrong with school? I remember them as the best days of my life. Getting to learn all that knowledge, getting the adoration of the teacher, reading textbooks... absolute heaven.”

I lean back, “Yeah, no. I’d rate school as one of the worst times of my life. Being beaten during recess, reading dusty textbooks with a dusty old hag yelling at me, being picked on because I wasn’t athletic, the Fitness-gram Pacer Test. I barely escaped alive! Only to discover that I won’t be able to share my facts, because now everyone hates me!”

Twilight smiles calmly, “Well, you don’t have to worry about that here. There are no bullies, Cherilee is a very nice mare, and everypony is calm and good. With the exception of the CMC, but you don’t need to worry about them.”

I hold up a hoof, “Wait, hold up, you got me interested now. Who are these ‘CMC’?”

She slightly frowns and smiles at the same time, “Cutie Mark Crusaders. Sisters of three of my friends came together because they’re all cutie mark-less. They cause a lot of trouble trying to get their marks, causing mayhem and destruction where they go.”

I smile slightly, “Mayham and destruction, you say?”

Twilight narrows her eyes, “Raven, I know you don’t have a cutie mark later, but I really don’t recommend you join them. For your own safety, stay away, else you might end with your insides as outsides.”

I scoff, “No need to worry about that. I’m hollow.”

She is about to speak, before listening to what I said, “...what?”

I nod, “Oh yeah, I’m hollow inside. Digestive system, nervous, hell even the immune system is gone. Only one I keep is reproductive, and I definitely ain’t using that as my body looks like this.”

Twilight nods slowly, “That’s... interesting. Either way, don’t. You will either be hurt or somehow cause the entire town to be destroyed.”

I smile a bit more, and rub my hooves together, “Oh, definitely not, Twilight. Perish the thought. So, I definitely feel like going to school now, what about you?”

She smiles, and claps her hooves together, “Yay! Come on, school is starting soon, we need to leave now!”

She jumps into a cabinet.

“Let’s see, we need quills, notebooks, inkwells, books, lunch... no, wait, never mind that.”

She turns around to see me standing there, with a notebook and pen. I smile, “I needed to make sure I had materials on hand at all times. So, we ready, yes?”

She nods, “Yes. Now, come on!”

She rushes outta the door, and I follow after her at a more serene pace.

Mayham and destruction. Sound like my type of people.

Author's Note:

Chapter Two, down. This was probably the worst chapter of the original, so I made sure to fix it up a whole lot.