• Published 10th Feb 2018
  • 7,614 Views, 339 Comments

The Rise of a Raven - Chemtest



When you work with death for a living, do you even have to question if it will claim you? Just make sure to find any loophole possible, just in case.

  • ...
60
 339
 7,614

Discord (rewrite)

Sombra and I wait on the train platform, the next train to Ponyville to arrive in a few minutes. As we wait, I hear a set of hooves walk up to us. I turn to see the pink alicorn, Princess Cadence, she smiles as she approaches me, “I heard you were heading back to Ponyville, Ravens Breath. So, before you leave, I have a gift to you from the entire Crystal Empire for freeing us.”

I nod, and smile, “Is it a statue?”

She shakes her head, “No, not a statue, but something a lot more useful. You’re in the far north with nothing but your fur protecting you from the wind. Not to say that it doesn’t look good, but you might get cold.” She pulls black, folded cloth from a pocket space. She hovers it over to me with her magic, “As a gift, from all of us.”

I unfurl the cloth, and see a long, flowing black cloak. I quickly throw it on, letting it drape over me. After a bit of adjusting, I get it to sit comfortably. It covers pretty much my entire body, only allowing my hooves and tail to be seen. A hood sits on it as well, which can be pulled to completely obscure my entire form, or kept down to show my face. I look into a piece of reflective crystal, and see my reflection looking back. I smile with joy as I see my new cloaked form, something about the cloak just clicking with me, making me feel more whole. Also, now I can feel normal with clothes on my body. I turn to face Princess Cadence, and smile with joy, “I love it!”

She smiles on back, “We made sure to enchant it for the future as well, so it can always stay with you. A simple repair spell so no matter the damage that comes to it, it will repair itself. And, a form-fitting spell so that it will change to fit you the best way possible. Say, you wanted a friend to wear it, it would automatically adapt to their form for optimal comfort and coverage.”

I smile, and look at the mana flowing within the cloak, “Well, thank you. This is the first gift I’ve gotten, since... ever I’m pretty sure.” I nod my head, “Your gift is very, very appreciated.”

She nods, “But, well, I wanted to offer you something myself, as a personal thanks.” She raises her head up, “Now, as you may know, I am the Princess of Love.”

I slowly nod, “This personal thanks better not be what I think it is. No freaky deaky.”

Her eyes widen as she snorts laughter in surprise, “What? No, no, no, nothing like that. Mind out of the gutter.” She recovers, “Anyway, as Princess of Love, I can sense love between ponies. So, I wish to offer you a word of advice.” She leans down real close to my ear, “There is someone you know who you can have a great life with. And if you forsake that option of a great life, I will personally hunt you down and force you to love them back.” She then leans back with a smile as the train pulls in, “Welp, looks like you’ve got to go. Thanks for all the help. And, Raven, Sombra, If you two ever need anything, the Empire is in your debt.”

She almost skips off, and Sombra basically pulls me onto the train as I try to process her words. He tries to alleviate my thinking, “She was probably jesting with you about whatever she said.” He yawns as he pulls me to my seat, and throws me into it, “For one so small and with very few organs, you’re quite heavy.” He shakes his head, and hurts himself into his seat, “I’ve always hated trains. Time to fast-forward on life with some sleep.”

I just slightly nod as he falls asleep almost instantly. I have no time to think, as Discord appears in front of me. He smiles, “Well, Raven, here I am. I am a chimera of my word, and I intend to keep it. You wish to know why I know the name of the old world? Prepare for a history lesson.” He snaps his fingers, and a blue and green planet appears like a hologram in the middle of the train car, “I was once a man, living on Tel’la De Rus.”

I laugh a bit, “You expect me to believe that you were a man?”

He nods, “Oh yes, until the Collapse. The end of the fourth age, the death of the Necromancer.”

I stop him, “Wait, hold up, hold up. The Fourth Age was ended by my death?”

He sighs, “Yes. Please, can you just hold up with the questions? I swear on the name of the world that I tell the truth here.” He rolls his head, “Anyway, I was selected at the end of the Fourth Age to ascend into being a God. The Creator, my father, Larson saw the future in store for our world, and knew that a God of Chaos was needed. For, after your death, Chaos was all that reigned. The Men, Orcs, Griffons, Elves, Dwarves, Dragons, even the Gods lost their shared goal of killing you, and turned their hate and violence against each other.”

My eyes widen and my stomach drops, “Just like Edis said...”

Discord sadly nods, “The God of Endings also passed on that day, he knew what was to happen. You doomed the world to destruction and death by allowing yourself to die. However, I do not blame you. To be ostracized for so many millennia, it must’ve been maddening to only have the Beast to talk to. Tell me, Raven, do you still want to go to your afterlife?”

I take a second to process the question, and think, “No... no, I don’t want to die anymore. I have found something in this world that I didn’t in Tel’la De Rus. The Crusaders, Sombra... I couldn’t abandon them to death by the misguided mind of Celestia. I won’t allow myself to find peace, ever, not until they have all passed away.”

Discord nods, “Good, because you have a destiny within this world far greater than the last. In Tel’la De Rus, you were the glue that held us all together. Now, you will be a part of the product. Tel’la De Rus was made a wasteland, all that was left was a handful of dragons, the heroes who killed you, and myself.”

I sigh, “So all died.”

“No, that wasn’t the end of life.” Discord then shows them all floating, connected, allies in desperation. “We created a new world, with all of our powers. Equis, 3,000 years ago, we made it.” A picture of Equis from outside, like the moon or something. “We all became kings of the different big races.” He shows a picture of a Minotaur, “The Orc Paladin became the leader of Minotaurs, and shaped them around Orc culture.” Then a picture of an elk, “The Elf Alchemist ruled over the Elk, connected to nature like him. They eventually all died out, however.” Then he shows a four legged Griffon, “The Griffon became the king of Griffins, even changes their name, and shaped them around the honer of his culture.”

I smile, “And the Dwarves?

Discord laughs, “Yes, I am quite aware of your fondness for Dwarves.” He shows a picture of a... bug pony with Swiss cheese legs? “He became the king of Changelings, a race with the ability to shape shift. They enjoy feasts, and commonly have them. But they feed on love, and invite creatures into their hive, so they have a feast with that creature, and then feed on their love.” He shows a picture of a pony sitting and enjoying a cake with tons of Changelings, “The Changelings are shunned by all races now because of a incident where a hive went to far with a feeding.” Showing a picture of Changelings attacking a city, “You could help them if you want to, they attacked Canterlot out of desperation, and Celestia might trust you. They would be a powerful ally.”

“What about you Discord? What race did you become the king of?” I ask curious.

“Why! Your living in my Empire! Has no one told you why there is no King?” I shake my head, “It’s me! Still is me, always was me! Law in the Equestrian Constitution makes it so a king has to aggre for another to take his place. I never aggreded.” He does an exasperated frown, “See, this is why I hate Celestia! She won’t even tell your ponies about their king so she can ‘protect’ them!”

I open my mouth, “Well-“

He cuts me off, “Yes, Yes I already know of your plan to get Celestia back. Honestly I’d be honored to fight with you.” He admits, “And I will, but you won’t even really need me.”

“Why not?”

“Do you not know?” I shake my head, “Necromancer, Raven, your as powerful as me. Perhaps more powerful. You are at least as powerful as Celestia, in both your lesser forms. But when you both ascend, you will be the most powerful.

I shake my head, “No, can’t be true. I have no ‘ascended’ form.”

“You still have a lot to discover, Ravens Breath.” He then checks a watch that appeared on his wrist, “Oh, looks like we’re out of time. Have a good day!” He then snaps his fingers, and I see Ponyville fast approaching. I decide to push his final message to the back of my mind.

I shake awake Sombra as we pull up to the station, “I’m up, stop shaking!”

As the train stops I turn to him, “Wait for your que.” He nods.

I walk out and see Twilight right before she scoops me up in a hug, “Hey Raven, have a fun trip?”

She sets me back down, “I made a new friend, and he has nowhere to stay. Do you think he could stay with us?”

Twilight smiles, “Of corse, they will just have to share your room. Who is this friend?”

Sombra steps out of the train, giving Twilight a toothy grin, “Hello there, you want some crystals?”

Twilight face falls, “What?”

Author's Note:

Exposition in the best way possible!