• Published 10th Feb 2018
  • 7,615 Views, 339 Comments

The Rise of a Raven - Chemtest



When you work with death for a living, do you even have to question if it will claim you? Just make sure to find any loophole possible, just in case.

  • ...
60
 339
 7,615

An Eventful Night (rewrite)

We trot down a path in the orchard, howls going off in the distance. Apple Bloom smiles, “The Timberwolves are howling, that means it’s almost Zap Apple season.”

I look to the forest where the howling is coming from, and see something strange, “Hmm... that’s odd.”

Apple Bloom looks back at me, “What, the Zap Apples?”

I shake my head, “No, the mana reading from the forest. It’s very odd, a mix of Necromantic and Nature mana combined. Can’t say it’s a mix I’ve ever seen before. Nature and death don’t mix well in most situations.”

Scootaloo looks at me as we stop before a treehouse, “You know, you keep mentioning this ‘Necromancy’ thing. What even is Necromancy?”

I look over at her, and raise an eyebrow, “You don’t know what Necromancy is? That’s... very odd.”

Sweetie Belle adds as we walk into the clubhouse, “Yeah, I don’t remember anypony mentioning Necromancy before. Not even Twilight, and Twilight knows all kinds of magic.”

I take a seat on the floor of the clubhouse, “Alright then, allow me to explain it to you. Necromancy controls pain, bones, souls, and death. You can cause pain, or stop it. You can control bones in any way possible. You are able to transfer and store souls. And you can bring things back from death.”

Scootaloo meets me with a skeptical look, “Prove it.”

I smile, and flex my magic a bit to find bones buried underground, “Gladly.”

I summon bones scattered all around, and they all come together to form a hand under me. The hand of bones lifts me up and transforms into a throne. I smile down at Scootaloo as the howls grow louder. I make a tiny hand of bone crawl up to her, and pinch her. She cries out in minor pain, “Ow! Why’d you do that?!”

I flick my hoof, sending a bit of magic towards her, “You don’t feel pain from that.”

She instantly looks more relaxed, and looks at the red spot left from the pinch with confusion, “What?”

I create another hand of bone, and make it rise above me. It grabs onto my neck, and pops it free from my body. I smile as it holds my head up for all the Crusaders to see, “Sometimes, you need to get a head in life.”

My pun is lost on them as they stare at me in shock, and the hand flips my head like a coin. I land on my bodies neck, head up. Good luck, I guess. With a simple thought, I meld the two parts together once more.

With my head firmly attached to my shoulders, I roll my neck. Bone cracking sounds ring out from all around us, as ten skeletons all do the exact same. I raise a hoof, and they all do the same, I smile, and speak, they all speak at the same time, “That prove it to you, Scoots?”

She simply stares at me in awe as I deconstruct the constructs of bone. She opens her mouth, before closing it once more. She opens it again, only to be interrupted by loud howling. She quickly turns around to where the sound came from, “Why did that sound like it came from right outside?”

Apple Bloom looks outside once, and screams, “They are!” She moves quickly, pressing a button that retracts the bridge up to us, leaving us safe up in the clubhouse.

Sweetie Belle looks around worriedly, “What are we going to do?”

She doesn’t get her answer, as a voice howls from outside, “Necromancer!”

I narrow my eyes as the shout reaches me, “I thought nopony knew what a Necromancer was.”

The voice shouts once more, “Show yourself coward! Before we kill the foals!”

I slowly trot out onto the little porch/balcony, and stare down at the squad of twenty timberwolves, “You called?”

One of the wolves steps forward, and eyes me with as much contempt as his green eye can manage, “So, it was a Necromancer we felt. Flexing his new powers, ones he doesn’t yet understand. Yet another Necromancer come to taint the Forest!”

I stare down at the wolf, and slightly smile, “I’m sorry buddy, but I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

The wolf simply turns to his fellows, “These practitioners of that vile magic have come once more!”

I sigh, and jump down onto their level. My hooves hit the ground, hard, and it causes the wolf to turn and face me, “Okay, I don’t know what your problem is, but you need to go. You have already threatened children, and I am finding it hard not to just kill you all right now. How about you just fuck off, and we all live happily?”

The wolf snarls at me, “We know not to trust your kind, Necromancer. Vogrim taught is that Lesson hard enough. Look at the creatures before you! Wolves made of lifeless wood! This is because of the taint your kind left on me. Vogrim infected nature with death, and I will not allow that to happen again.”

I look at the wolf, taking notice of him not referring to himself as one, “So, you aren’t one of the wolves, because you are obviously disgusted by them. Who are you then?”

The wolf stands proudly, “I am the Spirit of the Everfree! And I will not allow you to infect my Forest once more!”

I sigh, “Ravens Breath, really, really confused and angry Necromancer. Now, will you please buzz off?”

My question is answered quickly, when the wolf pounces and tears out my neck.

I sigh as my vocal cords are torn out in front of me, “Okay then, if that’s how you want this to happen.”

I reach out into the ground, and raise a fist of bone from the ground. It comes crashing up, punching the wolf off of me. I stand, and turn to face the rest of them. I slam one hoof down, and summon five skewers of bone that impale five wolves. I raise my other hoof up, and start to concentrate pyromancy in it. When I have a nice and red flame, I start throwing fireballs at the wolves.

I hit five of them before I’m tackled from the side, and a wolf claws into my chest. I rise up even as it tries to tear at entrails that aren’t there. I take my hoof, and reinforce it with layers of bone. I punch right through the wolves head, which makes it collapse into a useless pile of sticks. I remove my hoof from what used to be it’s head, and hold it out to face four other wolves. With a simple thought, I turn the bones into arrows, and send them flying at the unfortunate wolves.

One wolf tries to rush me, only to run into a wall. It falls over, and I add spikes to said wall. With a simple push, the wolf is crushed under the bone wall, and impaled by the bone spikes.

I turn to face another wolf as it rushes toward me. I smile, and create a rope made of bone. I tie it around the wolf, and hang it from the tree. I grab a branch, and add a bunch of bone protrusions to it. I grab the makeshift mace, and charge towards the wolf piniata. I start smacking it all over, mentally keeping track of the three left.

One of them tries to run to the Crusaders, but ends up getting a brick tossed through its head. The brick crushes the fragile wood with ease, thus killing the wolf.

I knock the head off the wolf I’m smacking, and it goes flying towards the final not Everfree Spirit wolf. With a smile, I add some fire and bony spikes to the head. The head collides into its chest, and gets itself lodged in there with the spikes. From which, the fire spread, and slowly turns the wolf to ash.

I turn to face my final opponent. The Spirit, who is only just picking himself up. Said wolf growls at me, “Come on Necromancer, hit me with whatever you’ve got!”

I raise my hoof once again, and summon up the same fire. Only this time, I add Necromancy to the mix, turning it green. Balefire, so powerful that off will burn your opponent down to the bone, and then through that bone. I point my hoof at the wolf, and let the fireball travel out.

It strikes the wolf, who just glares at me as it burns away at him, “Celestia will sense this magic. She will come, and she shall destroy you!”

I take out Talons, and point it at the wolf’s head, “Oh my gods, shut up!”

*Boom!*

It’s head is blown cleanly off, and the rest of the body turns to ash as the balefire touches it. I flip Talons around, and put it back into it’s storage.

I smile, and jump back up to the Crusaders, who stare at me in awe. In fact, Sweetie Belle rushes up and hugs me, “You saved us!”

I back up a bit, “Hey, hey, bad touch!”

She backs up with some embarrassment, “Sorry.”

I nod, “Yeah, sure, whatever.” I take a deep yawn, “Well, I haven’t had to use my powers that violently for a decade at least. If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to sleep.”

I move past them, and I can hear them all gasp as I pass. I turn around, and tilt my head. They answer my unasked question, “You got your Cutie Mark!”

I look back at my ass, and see there is a Mark there. A playing card, but the suit is replaced with raven skulls, and in the middle is a figure in a black cloak, who shows off a scythe in bony fingers.

Honestly, I care less, “Okay, yay, sure. I’ll celebrate when I wake up.”

I walk to a random corner of the room, and lie down.

Author's Note:

A previously rushed chapter given some more depth.