• Published 23rd Dec 2017
  • 1,051 Views, 87 Comments

Quete - Comrade Bagel Muffin



A unicorn's quest to return home.

  • ...
4
 87
 1,051

PreviousChapters Next
Les Funérailles

Escutcheon woke up on a wooden boat. The felt the sea breeze, and the small waves at the boat went over them. He slowly opened his eyes. In front of him Full Mast and Anchor were at the oars slowly pushing the boat along. He slowly got up. "Where are we?" he asked, his throat scratchy and dry. His body was warm under the noon day sun.

"Your up?" Drag Net looked over the shoulders of his two of his sons. Turkeyleg's woke up next to him, and gave him a gentle nuzzle. Escutcheon leaned in the birds feathers felt soft and warm. "Well we're about a day and a half from Rocky Coast." Drag Net answered. "If were lucky we'll make it there before night fall tomorrow." Some thing foul blew in on the wind. He looked over his shoulder, and his heart sank. Behind the boat being tugged along by several ropes was a coffin. "It wasn't your fault."

"I was the reason we were there. I got caught by Buckler. They died trying to keep me safe." Escutcheon pulled the hood of the cloak up, and leaned his face into Turkeylegs' soft feathered body. "How isn't this my fault?"

"It's not your fault lad it's Buckler's fault." Hook said next to his father.

"Story Teller, Trail Life, and her Foal would all still be alive if it weren't for me!"

"Story Teller has passed on to the next life, yes. His sister however is still in this one. And they both would have survived if that mad pirate hadn't killed them. It's not your fault colt don't think that it is."

"She's still alive, how?" His ears perked up, and he looked over his shoulder. Laying in between Drag Net and Hook was Trail Life. Bandages and cloth wrapped around her abdomen.

"She's alive. If we can make good time back to Rocky Coast she should be able to make it. We used ever potion we had on her, but it wasn't enough for a complete recovery." Hook answered. Escutcheon nodded.

"Are there anymore oars."

"Aye there are two more, but we're taking it in shifts right now." Drag Net nodded. Escutcheon quickly found the other two oars, and grabbed them in his magic. "What do you think your doing."

"Helping. I already bereaved Trail Blazer of one of his children, if I can help save the other one then I will."

"It wasn't your fault." Escutcheon wasn't paying any attention. He just focused on the oars. As the sun made it's way down to the horizon behind them Full Mast and Anchor switched with Drag Net and Hook. "You should rest to colt."

"I'm fine." Escutcheon answered weakly. His voice devoid of any kind of emotion. Drag Net sighed but let him continue until he got tired. Escutcheon never stopped working the oars, and by noon the next day they arrived at Rocky Coast. The village came to the docks, to greet them. Trail Blazer and his wife stood at the very edge. Escutcheon didn't look away from the boat. Hook and Drag Net hauled the still unconscious Trail Life out of the row boat.

"What happened where's Story Teller?" Trial Blazer's wife asked. Escutcheon didn't look away from the boat. He didn't move. A moment later she must have found the coffin. She burst into tears.

"What happened?" Trail Blazer sounded dead inside.

"It's a long story, and I'll tell you everything, but you need to get your daughter attended to. She could still succumb to infection. The rest of you get digging." Several ponies nodded and headed away. Soon only Drag Net, the Trail Family, Carrot, Turkeylegs and Escutcheon remained at the dock. Trail Life had already been taken into the town.

"What happened?" Trail Blazer's wife asked between sobs, as she leaned against her husband for support. Drag Net nodded, and told them everything. After a few minutes he had somehow told them how they had lost their only son.

"The colt's taking it pretty hard."

"I don't blame you Escutcheon you did nothing wrong." The second Escutcheon heard Trail Blazer he lost it. He put his face into Turkeylegs' soft side and sobbed.

By nightfall the town had hewn a small cavern into the cliff face. The whole village some twenty five to thirty five ponies gathered for the ceremony. Escutcheon watched from the back. The moon threw everything into soft shades of grey. They put the coffin into a niche. They all said their good-byes before sealing the cave. The head of the ceremony a black as night earth pony passed around fruits. After a small eulogy, he lit a fire and they all cast their fruits into the flames. Escutcheon turned and headed east.

"Where are you going?" Trail Blazer asked.

"I'm going home."

"I thought that was west."

"I have a new home, I was just to stupid to realize it. I'm sorry, I'm sorry about Story Teller I didn't mean-"

"It wasn't your fault." Trail Blazer cut him off. "I wish you happiness Escutcheon. And I hope that you make it home safe." He patted Escutcheon on the back.

"What about your pay for the harpies?" Drag Net walked up to the three of them.

"Keep it, give it to them. I don't care. I don't want it." In a flash of golden light he and Turkeylegs vanished, reappearing at the fields on the outskirts of town.

PreviousChapters Next