• Published 23rd Dec 2017
  • 1,044 Views, 87 Comments

Quete - Comrade Bagel Muffin



A unicorn's quest to return home.

  • ...
4
 87
 1,044

PreviousChapters Next
La Conversation

Escutcheon and dusk lay down in the evening sun letting it warm them up and dry them off. They still had so much work to do, but right now it didn't matter. Right now they were tired, they were happy, and they were children being children. Besides it was late and they'd been awake all day, it was unlikely that they were going anywhere, tonight. Dusk rolled over on her stomach and flared her wings the sun on her back and wings made her sigh in contentment.

"Hey Escutcheon, what's on your mind?"

"It's just there's so much vegetation here. There's even a fresh water spring right over there." He rolled over on his stomach and rested his head on his forelegs. "That's probably not the only one either, but where are all of the animals. I mean in the plains on the other side of the lake there was a large Iron Side herd, but here nothing. Not a single animal, not even birds. It's strange really strange. What's going on in this ecosystem." Dusk just stared at him. "I know I'm an egghead."

"I have no idea what that means." Dusk smiled. "It is a little odd though. I didn't even notice when I was flying. When did you notice?" She rested her head on her forelegs, with her face pointed toward him.

"Mother was a good teacher, she taught me how to notice all of the small things and how to connect them to the bigger picture, and Father was a soldier, he showed me how to see warning signs." He sighed and rubbed the water from his eyes. "I regret running away, I regretted it the second I teleported away."

"I don't, because if you never showed up I'd still be in a cave alone, with a storm outside that would never stop. I don't think I'd ever be able to get this far." She covered him with her wing. "I'm glad that you're here. And once we get on the other side of this desert I'll be back with my colony and I bet my Dad will be able to help you. I know he will be."

"Who is your dad?"

"My dad is one of the four members of the Colonial council. He's one of the four ponies that the colony elects to help in times of need, and during times of debate. He's kind and strong, and he's always willing to help the others in our colony. I really miss him."

"And what about your mom?" Escutcheon regretted asking the question as soon as he saw her body go tense. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to open an old wound."

"It's fine." She wiped the tears from her eyes. "I don't mind. I like talking about Mom." She took a deep breath. "Mom was, she was beautiful, and she was always there for me when I was scared, was always there for Dad when the stress and problems of the colony began to wear on him. She was always there for us, no matter what." She started to break down. "I miss her so much." Escutcheon wrapped his hoofs around her. After a few minutes Dusk calmed down. "We lost her in the fire when our old home was destroyed. She tucked me in, and then I never saw her again." Escutcheon took a deep breath and stood up heading back to the spring. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to get us as much water as we can hold, and I promise you Dusk, if your family is on the other side of this desert you'll be back home before this time next week. You're going to be back with your father and colony, just you wait."

"Thank you." She sniffed and wiping away the last stray tears got up, to help get them ready to cross the desert.

PreviousChapters Next