• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 11,313 Views, 297 Comments

Side Stories of Hasbroverse Earth - RK_Striker_JK_5



Anthology series detailing Equestria and Earth's encounters and the culture shock therein.

  • ...
17
 297
 11,313

Picnic by the Lake

Over a hundred ponies stood near the edge of the Everfree Forest, standing around a large field bordering the wilderness. Ponies in plate armor and military uniforms milled about the crowds, keeping them away from the center of the field. One of the ponies, a unicorn in a blue overcoat, looked up to the sky. Major Foresight of the Teleportation Corps squinted. His vision focused on a hole hanging in space. He reached up and touched a hoof to a headset clipped to his ears. “Area is secure. I say again: area is secure. Send the cargo. Over.”

There was a short burst of static, causing Foresight to wince slightly. “Roger, Foresight. Sending Big Buddha through. Over.”

Foresight looked to the center of the field. An amorphous blob of light formed there, wavering slightly. It quickly faded with an audible pop, leaving six unicorns surrounding a vehicle not quite like any seen in Equestria, a Freightliner FL86 Cab-over-Engine triple-axle semi trailer truck with a red cab and silver trailer. The unicorns stumbled back, not quite losing their balance, but each one more than a little out of it.

Medics rushed to the unicorns, checking on their status and health. The crowd gasped and talked amongst themselves, but stayed where they were. Foresight slowly walked up to the vehicle, circling around it and doing a visual inspection. The Teleportation Corps had done longer jumps, with bigger loads, but across an inter-dimensional gateway? Foresight shook his head, his brown mane swishing about. He touched a hoof to his headset once more. “Cargo is safe. I say again: cargo is safe. Over and out.” He approached the red cab, looking up at the empty driver's seat. “Your majesty, are you all right?”

A deep voice emanated from somewhere inside the cab. “Thank you, Major, but please, there is no need for titles.” Smoke billowed from the smokestacks and the engine revved. The cab turned, angling to a road that led off to Canterlot. “Please give my thanks to the unicorns that brought me over. I am in debt to them for my help, and to you, Major, for coordinating the operation. I shall mention your help personally to the Princesses.”

Foresight's entire face turned a deep red. “I-I thank you, sir.” He pointed to the road. “The way should be clear, but please keep your radio tuned to our frequency, in case of emergencies.” He cantered back, away from the cab. “Good luck, sir!” he shouted over the engine's noise.

The tractor trailer suddenly lurched forward, a loud air horn honking and causing the crowd to move even farther back. Within seconds it had disappeared down the road, the surrounding forest swallowing it whole.


Princess Celestia glanced up at the sun. Her horn glowed as she corrected its course. She looked to her younger sister Luna and floated a tea cup to her lips. “Come on, try it!” she cajoled. “Chamomile is my favorite.”

Luna rolled her eyes. The tea cup moved back slightly under her own magic. “Please, Sister. I much prefer coffee.” A cup of her own floated to her muzzle and she downed almost all of it in one gulp. She shivered and her wings unfurled slightly. “That hits the spot!”

The third pony there looked up to Celestia. “Princess, are you sure I should be here?” Twilight Sparkle asked. She looked to a road leading off to Ponyville. “I mean, this is really important, right?

Celestia leaned down and lightly brushed against Twilight's cheek. “I'm quite sure, Twilight. You're the wielder of the Element of Magic and my personal protege. I think it's very appropriate you're here for this.” A faint rumbling caught her attention. “And I think our guest is arriving soon.”

Celestia, Luna and Twilight Sparkle were sitting right outside of Canterlot's walls, on a blanket with a basket of food right beside them. A stack of violet-colored cubes were set neatly to their right, glowing with an inner fire and otherworldly energy. The three looked more like a pair of oversized ponies and a unicorn on a picnic, rather than the diarchs of Equestria and the Element of Magic waiting on someone else.

The rumbling grew in intensity, sending small tremors through the ground. Twilight gasped and hopped to her feet as the tractor trailer appeared, quickly growing in size. It barreled down the road, driving right up to the picnic before air brakes squealed, bringing it to a halt just a few meters shy of the blanket itself. Her eyes grew to the approximate size of shields as she beheld it. “Oh, by the Herd...”

Celestia and Luna both stood as the cab disengaged from the trailer. Yellow bars of energy suddenly surrounded it, brightening before fading, taking the trailer with it. The cab shuddered before seams appeared along the sides, front and roof. The sides folded out, the headlights retracting and hands extending. The aft separated and the cab ratcheted up, the sides folding down into arms and the back turning into legs. A head emerged from the top, resembling a blue helmet with antennae on the sides, blue optic sensors and a mask where the mouth would be. Throughout the entire transformation, a five-toned sound could be heard, almost unexplainable as to its purpose.

When it finished, a forty-five foot tall robot stood, the windshield for a chest, the engine grille for an abdomen, the doors and side for arms and the tailgate for legs. It-he stood there, towering over Celestia, Luna and Twilight. He suddenly dropped to one knee and reached out with an open hand. “Princess Celestia? Princess Luna? Twilight Sparkle?”

Celestia nodded, raised a foreleg and placed it inside the open palm. “Correct. We bid you welcome to Equestria, Optimus Prime, and are honored to have you here.”

Luna spread her wings out. “Indeed, Optimus Prime! All of Canterlot welcomes you to Equestria!”

Optimus gently closed his hand. Hydraulics and servomotors capable of ripping apart steel plate like tissue paper barely mussed the coat on Celestia's foreleg. “The honor is mine, Princesses. I thank you for the invitation.” He opened his palm once more, let go of Celestia's leg and shifted around, sitting down on the grass itself in a cross-legged position. He looked down at Twilight, still standing there and staring at him. “Are... you all right?” he asked, tilting his head to the side.

Twilight suddenly rushed forward, wrapping her forelegs around Optimus' foot. “Oh my gosh!” she exclaimed. “You're huge, and you transform in ways that violate all known laws of physics! And you're huge, and warm!” She let go and galloped around his body, coming to a stop right in front of where his trailer was. “And your trailer! Where did it go?! Was it teleportation? Some sort of subspace fourth-dimensional pocket? Did it collapse into a singularity?” She whirled around, parts of her mane sticking straight up. “Please, tell me!”

Luna slapped a hoof against her forehead, sending forth a small tremor, while Celestia's horn glowed, catching Twilight with her telekinesis. She floated Twilight around, back to the blanket and set her down. “Now, Twilight,” she admonished, “it's impolite to ask so many questions of our guest when he's just arrived.”

Twilight's head dropped down and she covered it with her forelegs. “I am... so sorry,” she said, cheeks burning a brilliant scarlet. She peeked her head up at Optimus. “Please forgive me, sir. My curiosity got the better of me. I was overwhelmed, but that's still no excuse.”

Optimus merely shook his head. “There is no fault with your actions, young Twilight. Your actions are rather similar to those performed by many of my human friends when we first met.” A mild chuckle came from the eons-old being. “They were so full of awe and wonder, and always asking questions.” He looked to Celestia, then Luna. “There is no offense taken, Princesses.”

Luna bowed her head. “We thank you, Optimus Prime.” She waved a foreleg at the cubes. “We have acquired energon for you, though sadly none produced from our own abundant resources.” She looked back to him. “Perhaps that is one thing we might discuss here?”

Celestia glanced to her sister. “I think any discussions of trade or technology exchanges should wait until after we get to know each other a little better.”

Luna glanced down at the grass and rubbed her chin. “Hmm, perhaps it is a bit too early for such discussions.” She looked up to Optimus. “Your thoughts?”

Optimus rubbed the plate over his mouth, about where a chin would be. “Yes. A firm foundation must be built.” He looked to Twilight and chuckled. “You'd better stand back, I think. Twilight might explode in a few seconds.” His right optic blinked off, then on, almost in a wink.

Twilight stood up straight and craned her neck up. “Optimus... who built you?”

Prime looked up, gazing past Canterlot and into the distance. “My laser core, or the spark of life that makes me more than a machine with advanced AI, was ignited a little over nine million years ago by the super-”

“Nine million years ago?!” Luna exclaimed, eyes widening. Her jaw went a bit slack and her eyes bugged out. “You are older than the hills!” She glanced to Celestia and Twilight as both stared at her. “My apologies,” she muttered. A slice of cake floated up to her and she took a large bite from it, sinking down onto her haunches.

Celestia merely place a foreleg on her younger sister's back, patting it. “It's all right, Luna.” She looked up at Prime. “Truth be told, I'm a bit shocked myself. Nine million years?”

Optimus waved her off. “Not a problem, Celestia.” He leaned down. “The candles on my birthday cake are enough to constitute a fire hazard on most planets.”

Luna and Celestia both exchanged a look before they both burst into laughter, slapping the blanket with just enough force to 'merely' bounce Twilight and the basket around. Celestia wiped a foreleg across her eyes as she teared up a bit. “Okay...” she gasped out, “that was good.” She looked up at the Autobot leader. “I'm glad you have a sense of humor, at least.” She cleared her throat. “Please, continue.”

“Thank you. As I said, my laser core was ignited a little over nine million years ago by the supercomputer Vector Sigma, giving me a spark of life. I was born Orion Pax, and was a simple dock worker in my home city of Iacon.” His right hand clenched into a fist. “Then Megatron came, and the War.” He looked down, his shoulders heaving. “I admired him at first, seeing only his power and might. It took a harsh lesson to see he misused his power for his own gains.” He clenched his right fist even tighter, sparks of sapphire-colored electricity skirting around the armor plates. “He killed my friend Dion and grievously wounded my spark-mate Ariel and myself, all for the energy in the warehouse I worked.”

Twilight reached out, placing a hoof on Optimus' shin. “I'm... sorry,” she said, looking away. “That was a dumb question.”

There was a pause before Optimus uncurled his hand, reached out and gently patted Twilight on the head. “No, Twilight. It was not. The memories are painful, but for my old friend Dion and countless others, they are all that remain of him. Remembering might be hard, but it is necessary, for all those who cannot.”

Celestia and Luna bowed their heads. “Wise words,” Celestia said. She looked up, unfurled a wing and waved it at Luna. “We're not as ancient as you are, but we've also lost friends along the slow march of time. Wind Whistler, Heart Throb, Mimic...”

“Lickety-Split, Surprise, Applejack...” Luna continued. She blinked as her eyes grew moist. “They were all such good friends.”

Optimus reached over and grabbed a cube from the stack. He raised it high in the air. “To old friends,” he said, before bringing the cube up to his mouth plate. It slid aside, allowing him to tilt the cube back and drink the liquid inside.

Three tea cups floated over, stopping in front of Celestia, Luna and Twilight. “To old friends,” they each said, raising their cups in salute before drinking.

Optimus placed the now-empty energon cube on the grass. “Over the years I've been a warrior, a leader, a diplomat, but there are times I'd give anything to be a simple dock worker again.”

Celestia's shoulders heaved. “I know what you mean. Sometimes the crown is so unbearably heavy I want to dash it against a wall. They all look up to me, all the little ponies. So how can I let them down?” She shook her head. “I can't, so I go on and do my best.” She shrugged. “It's how Megan raised us to be.”

Luna stepped around and leaned in close to Celestia. “But you bear it well,” she said, nuzzling Celestia.

Celestia smiled and nuzzled back. “As do you, sister.” She looked up to Optimus. “Luna and I were created fifteen-hundred years ago by the Princess Ponies, guardians of the Heart of Ponyland. They poured their love for the land into the wands they guarded and we were born, but Megan and her siblings raised us. We are tied into the land itself.” She spread her wings and her horn lit up. “The magic that flows through every rock, the air itself flows through us!”

Luna's eyes rolled. “And they call me over-dramatic...”

Celestia's wings folded back. “It seemed appropriate.” She stuck her tongue out at Luna, giggling slightly.

Twilight spoke up. “Is there anything you do to take your mind off things? Princess Celestia likes tea parties, and Princess Luna likes metalworking, but what about you?”

Optimus glanced up, staring at Canterlot for a moment. “There's a human sport I've grown fond of... it's called basketball.”

Twilight cocked her head to the side. “Basketball?” She rubbed her chin. “I don't believe I know that one.”

Luna leaned back. “Megan brought a basketball over a few times for us to play with, but it was somewhat difficult.” She held up a hoof and waved it about. “No hands, you see. And magic felt like cheating.”

Optimus nodded. “I learned about it in 1985. My human friend Spike taught me it.” He rose to his feet and held his hands at the height of his waist. “You dribble an orange ball-”

“Dribble?”

Optimus paused. “Oh.” He stood up straight and scratched his head, producing an ear-splitting screech. “You push the ball down and it rebounds against the floor. You do that while moving to a hoop hanging from a post.” He raised his arms in the air and jumped, landing and sending Celestia, Luna and Twilight hopping nearly a foot into the air. “You score two points if you get the ball through the hoop.” He sat back down. “Next time I'll bring a basketball to show you how it's done.” He looked to Twilight. “And you? You can't be Princess Celestia's student all the time, can you?

Twilight swallowed and her cheeks colored slightly. “Well, for the longest time I was just that. Beyond my brother Shining Armor, my assistant Spike and foalsitter Cadance, I didn't have any friends.” She sighed. “Even now I can lose myself too much in books and study, ignoring my friends.”

Celestia leaned down to Twilight's level. “You've made remarkable progress in your studies of friendship, Twilight. Never forget that.”

Luna leaned down as well. “And never forget it was you who saved me from myself, Twilight.” She looked up to Optimus. “Long story.”

Optimus nodded. “I have some of the details about the Nightmare War, Princess Luna. But I shall respect your privacy on that matter.” He looked to Celestia, head tilting. “Tea parties?”

Celestia shrugged. “It keeps me young.”


The day wound down, Celestia making adjustments to the sun as it traveled across the sky. Finally, Optimus spoke. “I thank you three for the meeting.” He motioned to the stack of now-empty energon cubes. “And for the lunch, as well.” He extended a hand. “May we see each other again, under similar circumstances.”

Celestia and Luna both placed a foreleg inside the palm of Optimus' hand. “I'd like that very much,” Celestia said, smiling. She looked to Twilight. “Wouldn't you agree?”

Twilight nodded. “Yes, Princess, that'd be great!”

Luna held a foreleg up, pointing at the road. “May your travels be smooth, Optimus Prime, and may the journey be swift.”

Optimus stood and turned. He stepped forward, but paused and looked over his shoulder. “Twilight?”

Twilight's ears perked up. “Yes?”

“Subspace pocket, but I'm not sure of all the details.” And with that, he leaned forward, his body compacting once more into a cab. The trailer sprang into existence behind him and he drove off, leaving behind a wide-eyed Twilight and two snickering alicorns.