• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 11,290 Views, 297 Comments

Side Stories of Hasbroverse Earth - RK_Striker_JK_5



Anthology series detailing Equestria and Earth's encounters and the culture shock therein.

  • ...
17
 297
 11,290

Family reunion Part Two: Memories

It was a somewhat gloomy day at 13 Bannerman Road. Two ladies stood in the attic, a general mood of unease around them. The first was Sarah Jane Smith, an intrepid reporter and old friend of the Doctor's. She stood there, arms crossed and her mouth turned down in a frown. Her brown eyes flicked from side to side before finally settling on the other occupant of the attic, a younger woman named Carol. “Nothing?”

Carol, a woman in her mid-twenties with short, curly black hair and eyes that seemed focused on something just beyond her line of sight, shook her head. “Nothing, Miss Smith,” she said in a lilting voice. “None of my leads panned out with the Doctor. I'm sorry.”

Sarah Jane placed a hand on Carol's shoulder and squeezed gently. “No need to be sorry.” She looked to the far wall and a fireplace there. “Mister Smith, I need you!”

The fireplace's brick chimney slid up, revealing a large computer screen. An elaborate computer console slid out of the hearth, with all sorts of blinking lights and levers. All the while a loud fanfare played over embedded speakers as Mister Smith activated. “Yes, Sarah Jane?”

Sarah Jane rolled her eyes to the ceiling. “Always with the fanfare,” she muttered, slowly smiling. She and Carol walked up to the supercomputer. “Mister Smith, any new information on the Doctor?”

I'm afraid not,” Mister Smith replied. “Even with K9's data on TARDIS schematics, I have not been able to locate the Doctor subjectively after he collapsed the Dalek's portal into void space.” There was a pause before Mister Smith continued. “Sarah Jane, incoming temporal signature. It's Captain Jack Harkness.”

There was a flash of light right behind Carol and Sarah Jane. Both turned to see a flash of light and a man appearing, seemingly in mid-jump as his feet touched the floor. Captain Jack Harkness, formerly of the Time Agency and of Torchwood, tugged on his longcoat and flashed a roguish smile. “Miss Smith, always a pleasure,” he said, holding his arms out and bowing slightly. He focused on Carol and extended his hand to her. “Hello, there. I'm Jack Harkness, and you are?”

Sarah Jane stepped forward and grabbed his hand with both of hers. “Jack, this is Carol. We met each other right before the Doctor disappeared. Carol, this is Captain Jack Harkness, a time traveler,” she said, her voice hitching at the final words.

Carol half-smiled. “The Doctor actually recommended me to Miss Smith. I'm rather grateful to him for doing that.”

Jack nodded. He jerked his arm back a few times, finally releasing it from Sarah Jane's surprisingly strong grip. “Thanks, Sarah Jane.” He eyed her warily and flexed his fingers. “Yeesh, I was just introducing myself.”

Sarah Jane nodded. “I know.” She leaned forward. “That's how it always starts with you,” she said, smirking before continuing. “So, any news about the Doctor from your end?”

Jack let out a sigh. “Sorry, but nothing from my end. None of my sources turned up anything.” He paused and shook his head. “I don't think the Doctor survived this time, Sarah Jane. I'm sorry.”

Carol spoke up. “I don't know, Captain. I only met him once, but he seemed so...” She waved a hand in the air as she groped for words. “Larger than life? Invincible?”

Jack tilted his head from side to side in thought. “Good words, but I don't think it worked out for him this time.”

Any further discussion was interrupted by Mister Smith speaking once more. “Sarah Jane, the front door has opened. Two humans have entered.”

Jack's coat fluttered as he pulled out a sonic disruptor from a shoulder holster and held it high. “Expecting company?” he asked, thumbing the disruptor's power button.

Sarah Jane marched over to Jack and grabbed his arm. “Mister Harkness, stand down, please! I am expecting company.” She glanced over her shoulder at Carol. “And I'd prefer you not making Carol nervous.”

Carol waved her off. “Oh, I'm quite all right, Sarah Jane.”

Mister Smith spoke up again. “Captain Jack, there is no need for weaponry. The two entrants are Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart and Dorothy McShane.”

Jack glanced to Sarah Jane before shrugging. He switched off the disruptor and holstered it once more. “Can't be too careful.”

The attic door swung open. An older gentleman walked in. He wore a gray suit, leaned on a cane with a gold handle and had a rather bushy mustache. Gripping his free arm was a younger lady with honey-blond hair. She wore a black jacket, with a backpack slung over one shoulder and two silver canisters poking out of the flap.

Jack straightened to attention. “Brigadier,” he said, saluting. He looked to the young lady and grinned. “Hello, Ace.”

Ace waved a hand at him. “Hey, Jack.” She looked over at Carol and grinned. “Oi, Carol, having fun with Sarah Jane and the kids?” She walked over and slapped Carol on the back, pulling her in for a one-armed hug.

The Brigadier, meanwhile, returned Jack's salute. “Good to see you again, Harkness. But please, I retired. It's not 'Brigadier' any longer.”

Jack shook his head. “Sorry, but to me, you'll always be the Brigadier.” He smirked. “Or Sir Brigadier, maybe?”

The Brigadier sighed, but his expression brightened as he beheld Sarah Jane. He slipped his arm out of Ace's grasp and walked up to his old friend, extending his arms for an embrace. “Miss Smith, always a pleasure.”

Sarah Jane returned the hug. “Oh, Brigadier!” She let go, stepped back and looked him over. “You're looking well.” She hesitated for a moment before speaking once more. “Anything?”

The Brigadier shook his head. “I'm afraid not.” He glanced to Jack. “The Doctor left behind a transmitter tied to the TARDIS, saying he'd come right away whenever we used it. I dug it out of an old storage locker at UNIT Headquarters, but I'm afraid nothing.”

Jack's mouth set into a grim line. “Well, if he won't show up for his two best friends,” he said, waving a hand at Sarah Jane and then the Brigadier, “then I think... he's really gone this time.”

The mood of everyone there quickly darkened. Ace let out a breath. “The Professor? Gone?” She shook her head and looked to Jack. “I can't believe it. I just... I can't! I've thought he was dead before, but he always came back. It didn't seem like anything could take him out.” She half-smiled when Carol placed a hand on her shoulder. “Thanks.”

Mister Smith spoke up, drawing everyone's attention back to him. “Attention, incoming temporal event. The energy matches the TARDIS.”

Sarah Jane let out a gasp as the familiar grinding sound of the TARDIS' engines reverberated throughout the attic. She belted out a laugh as she spotted the familiar blue box fading into view in front of Mister Smith and walked over, the other four following right behind. “Oh, I knew he'd be back!” Her grin changed to a scowl. “Oh, I'm giving him a piece of my mind when he opens up!” She knocked her fist against the TARDIS' door. “Doctor? Doctor!”

The Brigadier stepped up beside her. His upper lip twitched. “I don't like this. The last time he suddenly reappeared and the TARDIS stayed shut like this...” He raised his cane and banged it against the door. “Doctor, please come out. You're starting to worry us all.”

Ace stepped up beside the Brigadier. “What happened the last time the Professor reappeared like this, Brigadier?”

A sigh escaped the old man. “He tumbled out, fell to the floor and regenerated. Left an awful amount of paperwork to be filled out,” he said, chuckling.

Carol walked around the TARDIS, stopping at the front, her fingers brushing against the exterior. She cocked her head to the side. “Does anyone else hear something?” Her left hand slipped inside her jacket pocket and her fingers curled around a fob watch inside. “I swear...”


... I shall come back. Yes, I shall come...


“Carol? Hey, Carol!”

Carol blinked and started. Her head whipped to the left. “Ace, when did you get there?”

Ace leaned back slightly and eyed Carol. “Just now.” She snapped her fingers in front of Carol's face. “You all right?”

Carol slowly shook her head. “I thought I heard voices.” She let out a nervous chuckle. “I'm sorry, Ace. I know how silly that sounds.”

Ace shook her head. She leaned over and turned her head in the direction of the supercomputer in the fireplace. “Oi, Mister Smith? Mind scanning for any weird voices?” She looked back to Carol and slapped her on the forearm. “In our line of work, nothing's really too silly.” She let out a gasp as the TARDIS doors opened. “Oh, about time, Pro...” Her voice trailed off as she, Carol, Sarah Jane, the Brigadier and Jack all caught movement below their line of sight and looked down at what was emerging. “Oh, wicked!”

A small, violet-coated foal with a blond mane and a horn sticking out of its-her-forehead walked out. She looked around with wide, inquisitive eyes before raising a foreleg in the air and waving it about. “Hi!” she squeaked out.

Jack bit his lip. He leaned against the TARDIS, rubbing his forehead as his entire body shook. Finally, he slid to the floor, laughing. His face turned beet-red as gales of tears streamed down his cheeks. He gestured at the foal. “D-D-Doctor...” He waved a hand in the air, completely incoherent for the moment.

The Brigadier leaned back and glanced at the ceiling. “Oh, bother.” He looked back down at the foal and spread his arms wide. “Doctor, what have you gotten into this time?”

The foal blinked. “Wait, Doctor?” She shook her head. “No, no no! That's my dad!” She drew herself up straight and looked around. “My name is Dinky Doo Whooves, and it's a pleasure to finally meet you all!”

Carol knelt down. “Dinky?” She rubbed her forehead, brushing away some errant bangs. “You're the Doctor's daughter?”

Dinky nodded. “That's right, Miss...” She suddenly stopped and got a faraway look in her eyes. “Do I know you?”

Ace blinked. “Why would you know Carol? And the Professor took you in?” She grinned. “That's just like him, always helping others out.”

Dinky shook her head. “Daddy didn't take me in. Well, when he and Mommy got back from Ponyville General, they did. But I've got a key so I can let myself in nowadays! “She scrunched her eyebrows before gasping. “Oh, you're Ace!” She looked around at everyone, rubbing her chin. “And you're Miss Sarah Jane Smith, you're Mister Brigadier and you're Jack Harkness.”

Ace scratched the side of her head in confusion. “Wait, what are you going on about? Back from Ponyville General?”

Dinky nodded. “Yeah, where I was born. You see, when a mommy pony and a daddy pony love each other very much –“

“Whoa, whoa!” Jack blurted out. He waved his hand in Dinky's general direction. “Dinky, are you saying that the Doctor... is your biological father?”

Dinky nodded. “That's right,” she said, beaming. “And he's the best father in all of Equestria!”

Silence reigned for a few moments before Ace finally spoke up. “But if you're a pony, and he's your father, and not just adopted then...” Her voice trailed off as implications began sinking in.

Jack let out a breath. “Okay, I'll ask.” He focused on Dinky. “Dinky, your father, the Doctor, is he like you?”

Dinky shook his head. “Oh, no, Mister Harkness.”

Sarah Jane let out a sigh of relief. “Oh, thank goodness.”

Dinky pointed to her horn. “He's an earth pony, not a unicorn. Oh, and he wears a tie and collar. And he's got a cutie mark, too.”

Sarah Jane jabbed her finger at Dinky. “The Doctor... he's a pony?” At Dinky's nod she let out a chuckle. “Oh, now this is a bit odder than the usual changes he goes through.” She paused. “Not by too much, but still out there for him.”

Jack blinked. “Just a 'bit', Sarah Jane? The Doctor's a pony. According to little Dinky here, the Doctor's a pony.”

Dinky nodded. “Yeah, just like Mommy, myself and Sparkler. We're all ponies.” The smile fell away and she shrank back a bit. “Is that a bad thing, Mister Harkness?”

Jack swallowed. “No, of course not, Dinky! Nothing wrong with that at all!”

Ace leaned on the TARDIS. “Wait, who's Sparkler?”

A voice sounded from inside the time machine. “I'm Sparkler!” The door opened a bit more, revealing a larger unicorn with a pinkish coat, purple mane and a trio of diamonds on each side of her flank. She looked around and let out a gasp. “Oh, wow! This is Sarah Jane's attic!” She glanced to Sarah Jane and jabbed a foreleg at her. “And you're Sarah Jane Smith! You're one of Dad's best friends!”

Jack looked up at Sarah Jane, smirking. “'Best friend', hmm?” He waved his hand around. “What did he tell you about the rest of us?” he asked, flashing a smile. He suddenly jumped up as Ace kicked him in the side. “Ouch!”

Ace glowered at him. “Lay off, Jack.”

More voices came from inside the TARDIS. “Hey, what about us?”

“Can we come out?”

The door fully opened, revealing three more ponies about Dinky's size, one with wings, another unicorn and a pony with a red ribbon in her mane. Two girls stood right behind them, the older one leaning against the doorjamb and looking rather green. “Did-did anyone catch the number on that bus that ran me over?”

Dinky let out a gasp. “Oh, I'm sorry!” She stepped to the side and began waving at the new arrivals. “This is Scootaloo, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, Michelle Richards and Danielle Richards. They helped getting the TARDIS to work and get us here.”

Sweetie Belle stood up on her hind legs and waved her forelegs in the air. “I got the backup power working!” She dropped back to all fours and her eyes widened. “I saw things...”

Applebloom rolled her eyes. “Yer just lucky it didn't kill yah!”

Scootaloo sat back on her haunches and crossed her foreleg. “I didn't even get to pilot the TARDIS!”

Michelle looked to Danielle. “It's probably a good thing you didn't try, Scootaloo.” She stepped forward and turned to face the three fillies. “Don't go wandering off anywhere. It wouldn't be polite. And I think Danielle needs a bit of support.”

Scootaloo, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle all let out groans, but remained by the door.

Sarah Jane smiled. “Well, a pleasure to meet you all.” She placed a hand on her chest. “I'm Sarah Jane Smith.” She then motioned to everyone else in the attic. “This is Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Jack Harkness, Dorothy McShane and Carol.”

“But you can call me Ace,” Ace interjected.

Dinky, meanwhile, walked up to Carol and stared straight up at her. “I know you... why do I know you? Daddy never showed me any pictures of you.”

Carol briefly looked to Ace before taking a step back. “I-I've never met you before either, Dinky.” She screwed her eyes shut and rubbed her temple. “And now... voices.”

Ace's eyes went from Carol to Dinky. “Okay, now that's not a coincidence. You heard voices when you saw the TARDIS, and now more with Dinky, the Professor's daughter?” She focused on Dinky. “Dinky, do you hear voices, too?”

Sparkler trotted around Jack and over to Dinky's side. She too looked up at Carol, who was now becoming the center of attention in the attic. “Wait, I know you too. Wait, no. Yes?” She turned her head as Sarah Jane walked over. “Why does she feel familiar to us, Miss Smith?”

Jack, now standing behind Sparkler and Dinky, leaned forward. “Carol, voices? What do the voices say, precisely?”

Carol screwed her eyes shut and tapped her forehead. “'I shall come back', and bits and pieces of an old man.” She reached one hand out into the air, the other still in her jacket pocket. “I can see him, almost. But it's just there. He looks kind, at least.”

Dinky suddenly jumped up onto her hind legs. She planted her fore hooves onto Carol's upper abdomen, sending her stumbling back. Sarah Jane and Ace reached out to Carol, but the younger woman fell back out of their reach. Her right hand clawed at the air and her left hand shot out of the pocket, still clutching the fob watch. The steel-colored watch with elaborate etchings all across its case sailed out of her grasp, catching Jack's attention. He let out a shout of horror as the watch hit the floor hard, the cover springing open.

Silvery tendrils of energy snaked out of the watch face, speeding to Carol and enveloping her head in a soft glow. Her eyes turned silver as her head absorbed the energy. She sucked in a breath...


Grandfather, what are you doing?”

Life on Gallifrey was too boring, my dear. So I stole a TARDIS. Would you like to come?”


One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back...”


It's not just a war, Susan. It's bigger than that. Gallifrey is arming for war, and the Daleks are doing the same. I've got a bad feeling, so I have this for you. It's called a chameleon arch.”


Carol's eyes blinked as they turned back to their normal color. She looked around the attic, a smile forming on her face. “I know. I know, now. It's all so clear to me” She looked to Dinky. “Thank you ever so much.”

Danielle, still leaning against the TARDIS' doorjamb, leaned forward and looked to her right. “Okay, what happened and why is the room still spinning?”

Jack looked over his shoulder at Danielle. “I think Carol's not really Carol.”

Ace shot him a glare. “What do you mean? What was that damned thing?” She took a step forward, but Jack grabbed her arm. Her eyes narrowed. “Oi, watch it, Jack!”

Jack waved her off. “That was a chameleon arch, Ace. It's a piece of Time Lord technology.” He raised his arm to his holster. “Those tendrils of energy? It's the essence of a Time Lord.”

Sarah Jane gasped. “So Carol is...” She looked to her assistant. “Carol, if I may ask, who are you?”

Carol looked to Sarah. “Well, Sarah Jane, I'm afraid my name isn't actually 'Carol'.” She pointed to the center of her chest. “It's actually Susan Foreman.”

Dinky and Sparkler exchanged a glance. “This is great!” Dinky exclaimed, grinning. “We found our niece!” She drew herself up. “You may call me Aunt Dinky, Susan.”

Susan dropped to one knee and wrapped an arm around Dinky and Sparkler's necks, drawing them in for a hug. “I suppose I'll have to call you both 'Aunt', Dinky. Thank you.”

The Brigadier let out a chuckle. “Susan Foreman, the Doctor's granddaughter!” He walked up to her and extended a hand. “My dear, the Doctor told me about you during his days at UNIT. A pleasure to finally meet you at last.”

Susan stood up and took the Brigadier's hand. “Oh, Grandfather told me a bit about you as well, Brigadier. He also told me all about you, Sarah Jane,” she said, looking to her. Susan looked to Jack and frowned. “No need for the sonic disruptor, Jack. You know how Grandfather feels about guns, after all.”

Jack rolled his eyes, but his hand dropped.

Ace's eyes narrowed as she looked Susan over. “So... what happened to Carol? Is this like with the Professor and when he regenerated? I mean... Carol was my friend.” her hands clenched. “And if she's just gone, then that's not sitting too well with me.”

Susan held up a hand. “Oh, no, Ace! Carol's still here. She's me, and I'm her. I'm just a bit more than Carol. I'm also Susan as well. But I still remember everything we did, and all the scrapes we got into that I didn't tell Sarah Jane about.”

Ace surged forward, grabbing Carol's shoulder and leaning forward. “Hey, you promised not to spill about that!”

Sarah Jane frowned. “Wait, what scrapes? What have you and Carol-sorry, you and Susan been up to, Ace?” She planted her hands on her hips and cocked her head to the side, staring a hole through Ace's back.

Ace let out a groan. “Oh, damn.” She turned to Sarah Jane. “I swear, they shot first! It was self-defense, and we stopped a Cyberman invasion to boot!”

Danielle cleared her throat, getting everyone's attention. “Okay, everyone. So Susan, you're Doctor Whoove's granddaughter?” At Susan's acknowledgment she waved a hand at the three fillies standing in front of her, her younger sister at her side and then at herself. “I hate to ask for some explanation that you folks already know, but...” She groaned and threw up her hand. “Oh, forget it. You're the one we're looking for. Dinky and Sparkler like you.” She finally stood up, wobbling for a moment. Michelle grabbed her arm, helping her to steady her stance. “Thanks, Michelle.”

Sarah Jane looked to Danielle. “Well, the feeling's mutual, Danielle. I mean the Doctor surviving his last battle, ending up wherever he did, turning into a pony and having children. It's all rather a bit much to take in for us.” Her gaze drifted to Susan, Dinky and Sparkler. “But... it is good that's he's alive and happy.”

Dinky spoke up. “Miss Sarah Jane, Daddy really misses you. I know this is kinda sudden, but is there any way you could come for a visit?” She looked down, kicking the floor slightly.

There was silence for a few moments. Sarah Jane suddenly started walking to the TARDIS. “Well, I don't know about you, but I'm somewhat in the mood for an adventure. At least before I get too old,” she said, winking. “Besides, I'd like to see what the Doctor turned into this time.”She stopped right in front of Danielle and held out a hand. “Miss Richards, may I come aboard?”

Danielle let out a laugh and took Sarah Jane's hand. “Of course, Miss Smith.”

Sarah Jane chuckled as the two walked inside. “Oh, Sarah Jane will do. Ah, still bigger on the inside.”

Jack followed the pair. Scootaloo, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Michelle all disappeared inside the TARDIS, leaving the Brigadier, Susan, Dinky, Sparkler and Ace still outside for the moment. Sparkler looked up at Ace. “Miss McShane, Dad talked a lot about you back home. It'd mean the world to him to see you again. You as well, Brigadier,” she said, looking to the older man.

Ace looked to the Brigadier. “Well, I don't think we should disappoint the Professor.” She walked up to the door, stopping and looking back. “Well, come on then! He still owes you a drink!”

The Brigadier belted out a laugh. “Quite right, quite right!” He held his hand out to Susan, who took it. The two walked onto the TARDIS, Dinky and Sparkler following.

Sparkler looked to Dinky. “We're gonna be grounded for life. You realize this, right?”

Dinky shrugged as the pair entered the main control room, the door slamming shut behind them. “Yeah, but it's been fun, at least.” She looked over at the main console, Susan standing in front of it. “Susan, what are you doing?”

Susan's hands danced across buttons and slide bars. The central column lit up and began moving up and down as the now-familiar grinding noise echoed out throughout the room. “Grandfather showed me how to pilot the TARDIS,” she said. She looked to Danielle, sitting in a chair next to the bulkhead. “Danielle, could you assist me, please? Sarah Jane, Ace, Brigadier, Jack, you as well? It would be far smoother for us all.”

Sarah Jane chuckled. “Oh, of course! How could I forget?”

“Forget what?” Danielle asked.

Sarah Jane shrugged as she stepped in front of a control panel. “The Doctor told me once that a TARDIS needs six pilots to properly operate.” She looked over the panel and the dizzying array of flashing lights and buttons. “Although I'm not sure how even Time Lords knew what to do with this mess.”

Ace shook her head as she approached a control panel next to Sarah Jane. “Oh, no wonder the Professor could never steer this thing properly.”

Danielle, Michelle and the Brigadier took positions at the remaining consoles, but Scootaloo bounded up to the central column and stood up on her hind legs. “Hey, can I help?” she asked, leaning heavily on a lever and pushing it forward.

The TARDIS suddenly heaved to the right, sending Danielle flying back and onto the deck. She landed with a small thump and stared up at the ceiling. “I knew it was going too smoothly.”

Jack was by her side in an instant. He held out his hand and helped her to her feet. “The little ones have a habit of this?”

Danielle rubbed the nape of her neck and cracked her head from side to side. “Just a few times. I think Michelle and I have a phobia now of tree sap and kites.”

Susan, meanwhile, gently pushed Scootaloo's hooves off the console before pulling the lever forward. The TARDIS suddenly 'righted' itself. “Scootaloo, we should be fine with this,” she said. “Could you please go and make sure the sensors are all right over there?” she asked, pointing to a screen set into the bulkhead.

Scootaloo hung her head, but trotted over to the screen. “Sorry,” she mumbled.

Susan turned back to the central column, but before she could do anything, the lights suddenly went off and the central column stopped moving. She ran over to a railing overlooking the lower level and leaned over it, looking down at the central power core and the taps leading from it to the TARDIS proper. “Sweetie Belle, what are you doing?”

Sweetie Belle looked up. She had her forelegs wrapped around a power tap that she had just yanked out. Goggles were strapped around her eyes. “I'm trying to get more power for this thing!” She turned back to the various junctions before jamming the power tap into a random one. “This should do!”

The control room was suddenly bathed in red lights. “Warning; power overload. TARDIS destruct in thirty seconds.”

Sweetie Belle grabbed the power tap and yanked it out. The red lights died down. “Whoops. Sorry.” She plugged it back into its former receptacle and the lights came back up once more.

Susan threaded her fingers together and looked over at Danielle. “Does this happen often?”

Danielle looked to Scootaloo, then to Applebloom as she climbed up onto the central column next to Sarah Jane and pushed a button with a hoof. “More or less.”


Time passed as the TARDIS moved among the veil separating realities. Danielle leaned against the central column, observing Susan as she operated the controls. Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, Scootaloo, Dinky and Sparkler were all laying down next to a bulkhead, fast asleep. The only other conscious occupant was Jack.

Susan glanced up at Danielle. “Something the matter?”

Danielle straightened up. “What? Oh, no. Sorry!” She scratched the back of her head and forced a smile. “I just think the utter weirdness of today is finally catching up with me.” Her hand shot up to her mouth as she yawned.

Jack looked up. “I think more than just the weirdness of the day's catching up with you, Danielle. As for weirdness, this day's been positively boring for me. I haven't even been shot at or shot at anything.” He looked down at the controls in front of him. “Is the Eye of Harmony supposed to be set to 'flambe'?”

Susan shook her head. “It should be on 'lightly toasted', if I'm reading this right. So, Danielle. What's the world like where Grandfather is?”

Danielle's head whipped around to Susan. “Well, the planet itself, I don't know much about. I'm from another planet and possibly from another dimension from where the Doctor is. But the town where he lives? It's called Ponyville. Most of the time it's nice and quiet. Although sometimes all hell breaks loose.”

Jack stifled a chuckle. “Would any of this hell breaking loose be the result of those ponies over there?” he asked, pointing to the still-sleeping foals and filly.

Danielle's mouth opened, but her shoulder slumped and she threw up her arms. “I think I've aged ten years since Michelle and I met them.” She turned around as Jack began laughing. “What?”

Jack waved her off as he continued laughing. His cheeks turned red and tears rolled down his cheeks. He planted a hand on the console to brace himself. “I... I... oh, wow.” He sucked in a few deep breaths and steadied himself. “Okay, I'm all right,” he finally said.

Danielle stared at him for a moment. Okay, I'd ask, but at the moment I'll pass.” She looked back to Susan. “How much longer before we reach Equestria?”

Susan's eyes lost focus for a moment. “A few more minutes, Danielle. We're taking a somewhat safer route than the one the TARDIS passed through. We'll do a quick scan, materialize and then... I'll see Grandfather again.” A nervous giggle escaped her. “Oh, it's been so long, for both of us!” She ran her hands down her jacket in nervousness.

Danielle placed a hand on Susan's forearm. “I'm sure he'll be overjoyed to see you again. He'll laugh, cry, hug you. Then he'll ground Dinky and Sparkler for life. Then the rest of us will be grounded for the rest of our lives by our own parental units.” She crossed her arms and shook her head, smiling. “But, it will be worth it.”

The central column's oscillations slowed down. Jack grabbed a viewscreen and turned it to face him. “We've crossed dimensions, Susan. We're backtracking the path the TARDIS took out of the system.” His head tilted back slightly. “Geocentric star system? A bit unusual, but nice. And this is definitely a pocket dimension too, Danielle. Pretty small reality, all things considered.”

Danielle walked over to Scootaloo, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, Dinky and Sparkler and knelt down beside them. She reached out and nudged Sparkler on the shoulder. “Sparkler, we're almost back home.”

Sparkler's and Dinky's eyes shot open. The sisters shot to their hooves. “We're almost home!” Dinky cried, trotting over to Susan's side.

Sparkler joined her sister by Susan, standing opposite her younger sister. “I can't wait until you see Dad, or Mom!” She suddenly gasped. “Oh, we haven't told you about Mom yet!” Her head darted around. “I don't think Dad's got any pictures of her in here.”

Jack bit back a laugh. “Well, we'll be seeing Missus Doctor soon enough.” He gripped the console as the TARDIS rocked gently.

Susan leaned forward and spoke into a microphone. “Everyone, we'll be landing in a few minutes. Please report to the control room.” She glanced up at a viewscreen and twisted a knob. “The autopilot is using the energy trail the TARDIS left behind as a guide. We shouldn't have any problems landing right in Grandfather's backyard.” Her face seemed to glow. “And then I'll see Grandfather again.”

Danielle poked at Scootaloo. “Okay, you foals. Time to rise and shine. At least for a couple more hours.”

Scootaloo let out a groan and rolled over onto her side. “Five more minutes, Mom,” she mumbled. One of her eyes opened and her head rose. “Wait, are we there, yet?”

Jack's eyes shifted to his right. “The more things change,” he muttered. He looked back to the screen hanging in front of his head. “Wait a second. Susan, there's another energy trail here, leading from our dimension straight down to the planet. And it's definitely not this TARDIS, either.”

Any response was cut short when one of the doors slid open. Sarah Jane, the Brigadier and Michelle walked into the control room, chatting about old times. Ace followed the trio, a baseball bat clutched tightly in her left hand and a sour expression on her face. She held the bat up, showing off a large weld around the center of the bat. “The Professor told me it was broken back when we fought the Daleks!

Jack shook his head. “Not now, Ace.” He flipped some switches and turned a crank. “I'm tracking an energy trail that is definitely not this TARDIS, but it's definitely a TARDIS.”

Dinky trotted over to Jack's side, eyes wide. “What is it, Mister Harkness? If this isn't from Daddy's TARDIS, what's it from?”

The Brigadier stood on the opposite side of Jack and looked up at the screen. He leaned heavily on his cane. “Jack, Romana didn't know where the Doctor was. So that can't be her TARDIS. But there's one other back where we came from who has a TARDIS.” He glanced to the younger-looking man. “And we both know who that is.”

Dinky looked up at the Brigadier. “Who is it, Mister Brigadier?”

The Brigadier's free hand clenched. “He's known as the Master, Dinky. He's one of the Doctor's worst enemies. I don't know if he told you about him.”

Sparkler bit her lip and furrowed her brow. The unicorn kicked a hoof against the deck. “I think... a few times? Dinky, do you remember?”

Dinky shook her head. “Daddy never mentioned him to me, Sparkler. Is Daddy and Mommy all right, Mister Brigadier?”

The Brigadier leaned on his cane as he stretched out his hand and ruffled Dinky's mane. “They will be Dinky. They've got friends and family coming to help out.”

“And the Cutie Mark Crusaders!” Scootaloo cried out, thrusting a hoof into the air.

Jack shrugged. “Well, that's.. good.” He pressed another button. “I'm gonna zoom in on where this TARDIS' energy trail leads to with the scanners to see...” His voice trailed off as the image of a two-story building and its backyard appeared. The image wavered a bit before focusing in on the Cyber-Leader standing there. “Okay, that puts a damper on things.”

Danielle's jaw canted to the right. “What is that thing, one of the Doctor's old enemies?”

The Brigadier spoke up. “It's called a Cyberman, Danielle. And yes, they can be very dangerous. I know from experience.”

Sparkler reared back, placing her front hooves on the console beside Susan and making sure not to touch any controls. She gazed at the image of the backyard on the screen.“Susan, could you focus on the area just behind the Cyberman, please? There's something weird there.”

Susan nodded. “All right, Sparkler.”

“Aunt Sparkler!” Dinky piped up.

There was a pause before Susan shrugged. “All right, 'Aunt' Sparkler.” She twisted a knob and the image slid down, expanding on the area just behind the Cyber-Leader. “What is it?”

Sparkler leaned to her right and looked across the central column. “Mister Harkness, could you help Dinky up, please?”

Jack nodded. He bent down, scooped the foal into his arms and, with a grunt, lifted her up so she could stare at the viewscreen. Dinky rubbed her chin. “Sparkler, when did Daddy get a new tool shed?”

“He didn't,” Sparkler responded. “Where did that come from?”

Jack set Dinky back down. “My guess is that's the Master's TARDIS, using a perception filter over it.” He looked to Danielle, Michelle and the Crusaders. “It's a piece of Time Lord technology. I'll explain later.”

The Brigadier let out a sigh. “Well, we've got a bit of a problem.” He waved a hand around in the air. “When this thing lands, it's not exactly equipped for silent running. When we materialize, that thing and half the town will know we've landed.”

Jack let out a chuckle. “Way ahead of you, Brigadier. We can materialize the TARDIS so the Cyberman's inside the control room. We can take it out without alerting the Master.”

“And I can set the landing sequence so the grinding won't sound out,” Susan added. “Although it will be tricky. There's a reason just about every TARDIS landing has that sound, after all.”

Michelle spoke up. “But with what?” She suddenly gulped as everyone turned to her. “Well, like Mister Harkness said. Take that Cyberman out with what?”

Ace smiled and placed a hand on the young girl's shoulder. “Don't worry, Michelle,” she said, holding up her bat. “I got this in hand.”


The Cyber-Leader stood out in the backyard of the Doctor's residence, sensors reaching out. He was in the midst of planning the cyberforming of this planet and betraying the Master when a large room faded into view. It raised its arm and its blaster emerged. “Hostile elements will be-”

It never finished as Ace ran up to it. She reared back and swung her bat right at its head, knocking the cranium clean off and sending it careening into a bulkhead. A shower of sparks shot from the neck and an electronic shriek came from the chassis before it dropped to its knees, clattering over to the deck.

Ace kicked at the twitching heap. “I think it's dead,” she said, looking around at everyone else around the room. She focused on Applebloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, staring at the beheaded Cyberman. “You three all right?”

Scootaloo sucked in a breath. “That was... AWESOME!” She hopped into the air, her little wings buzzing like a hummingbird's. “You just knocked its block right off!” She punched the air with her foreleg. “Bang, zoom! Ace, you're almost as cool as Rainbow Dash herself!”

Ace grinned. “Well, thanks, Scootaloo!” the grin fell away. “Wait, who's Rainbow Dash?”

Applebloom walked up to the Cyberman. She flinched for a moment as it twitched, but continued. “Herd, this thing's so neat!” She kicked at it slightly. “I wonder iffn' I kin get it runnin' again?”

Danielle grabbed Applebloom, dragging her away. “Oh, NO! You are not pulling a Victor Frankenstein, young filly!”

Applebloom let out a sigh. “Aww... wait, what's Frankenstein? Is that like Frankenstallion?”

Susan jogged up to the central column. “No time for that. We've got to get to grandfather.” She turned a knob and spun a crank. “There are... three life-signs in the house, two equine and one Gallifreyan.” She looked to Dinky and Sparkler, standing near Sarah Jane. “Everyone's all right.”

Dinky let out a breath. “Mommy and Daddy are okay!” She turned and threw her forelegs around Sparkler, hugging her older sister, who returned it.

Jack cleared his throat, gaining everyone's attention. “As much as I'm glad half the fight's over, there's still the Master. And he's very dangerous.”

The Brigadier suddenly turned and walked around the circumference of the room, stopping at the doors that led outside. “Well, if it's the Master, perhaps the one with the most experience should handle him,” he said while walking.

Jack stared at him as he walked. “Pardon me asking this, Brigadier, but you sure?” He held up his hands, palm out. “I mean don't get me wrong. You're tough, but this is the Master.”

“Jack, open the door,” Sarah Jane said. “The Brigadier can most certainly handle the Master. I know from personal experience.”

Susan pressed a button and the door opened. The Brigadier tilted his head to her. “Wait five minutes. Then follow me in.” And with that, he walked out.

Silence reigned for a moment before Jack raised his arm and looked at his bare wrist. “Well, it's been five minutes.” He looked around. “Anyone else coming?”

“Thought you'd never ask!”

“We need to go save Daddy and Mommy!”

“And hopefully get them to not ground us for life.”

“Professor's gonna need all the help he can get!”

“I can't wait to see Grandfather any longer.”

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS DOCTOR RESCUERS, YAY!”


The Doctor struggled against his bonds. He and Ditzy were sitting back to back in chairs in the kitchen, at the mercy of the Master. "You'll never get away with this!" he shouted at his and Ditzy's captor. "When Celestia hears about this-"

"Spare me your insults and petty threats, Doctor!" the Master exclaimed. he waved a hand about, gesturing to the two tied-up ponies. "With your clock shop as my base of operations, I shall expand my operations out into Equestria, conquering this land. And from THERE, I shall go BACK TO EARTH, where I shall take out UNIT and your precious companions!" His eyes glittered as a manic grin formed. "And I shall RULE THE UNIVERSE!" The Master tossed his head back and cackled, while outside, lighting flashed and thunder rumbled.

Ditzy's ears twitched. "I thought we had clear skies tonight."

The Doctor shrugged. "It happens with him a lot." He looked back at the Master. He opened his mouth, but stopped before speaking as his eyes focused on something behind the rogue Time Lord. “It can't be,” he said.

The renegade Time Lord rolled his eyes. "Oh please, Doctor. I wasn't regenerated yesterday. I know you want me to look behind while you and the Missus escape. But I'm not that foalish!”

Ditzy let out a sigh. “His puns are horrible.”

The Master smirked and stroked his mustache. “Thank you, my dear. Anyway, Doctor. Do you really-" He stopped talking as he felt a bump against his shoulder. "Cyber-Leader, please! I'm..." He trailed off. "Wait, that's too soft for a Cyberman!" he spun around, all color leaving his cheeks. "You!"

Brigadier Stewart stood there, a calm and serene look on his face. "So nice to see you again," he said. He brought his right arm back and, with a well-executed swing, punched the Master right in the jaw. The Master fell back to the floor, landing in an unconscious and undignified heap at the Brigadier's feet. He clenched his fist and grunted. "Damn, that hurt a lot more than it should've!"

The Doctor finally found his voice. "Brigadier," he said, tears forming in his eyes. "How did you get here?!"

"Oh, the TARDIS, Doctor," the Brigadier explained, motioning to the door before leaning down. He pulled out a knife and began cutting at the ropes. "I'll have you out of here in a jiffy. Now just please be still for a second."

The Doctor let out a breath before cocking his head to the side. "Wait, how'd you know it was me?"

"Who else could it be?"

The Doctor laughed as the Brigadier cut through the ropes around his forelegs, then the ones around his barrel that lashed him to the chair proper. He slowly stood back up and walked around to Ditzy, cutting through her ropes as well. “A pleasure to meet you, Missus Whooves. Although I do wish the circumstances were a bit calmer.”

Ditzy's right eye rotated to focus on the Brigadier. “Oh, you're the Brigadier! You're my husband's old friend and former boss!” The ropes gave way and she hopped up, her wings spreading. She wrapped her forelegs around his shoulders and leaned her head across his neck. “Thank you so much! And please, call me Ditzy.”

The Brigadier stood there, dumbfounded. He finally reached up and carefully patted Ditzy on the back, avoiding her wings. “Yes, you're welcome. Quite... “ He leaned his head slightly and stared at the Doctor, motioning to Ditzy with his other hand.

The Doctor smirked, standing there for a moment before finally trotting up to the two. “Now, now, Ditzy. You're embarrassing the old fellow.”

“'Old fellow'?” the Brigadier scoffed. He slowly knelt down and jabbed a finger at the Doctor's muzzle. “Now see here, Doctor. You were older than I am now when we first met. If anyone's the old fellow, it's you.”

The Doctor leaned back and placed a hoof on his chest, right below his necktie. “Me, the old fellow? Well, I've got only one thing to say to that, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.” He suddenly reached out to his old friend. “I never thought I'd see you again,” he said, choking out the last words.

The Brigadier let out a sigh. He wiped his eyes with his gloved hands. “I had almost given up hope, myself.” He reached out and patted the Doctor's mane and withers. “It's been a year for us.” He looked to Ditzy. “How long for you?”

The Doctor let out a sigh. “Eight hundred-fifty years, for me. I really am getting old, Brigadier. And it's my last incarnation, too. My lives are all gone, save for the time left with Ditzy and the kids.”

Ditzy extended a wing and draped it over the Doctor in a hug. The two stood there for a moment before Ditzy gasped. “Dinky and Sparkler!” She flew up to the Brigadier's face. “Brigadier, did you happen to meet two unicorns on your travel here?”

The Brigadier nodded. “Dinky, Sparkler and the rest are safe and sound, Ditzy. As a matter of fact...” He stood up, leaning heavily on his cane as the back door swung open. “Ah, here they are, now.”

Jack, Sarah Jane and Ace led the group, sonic disruptor, sonic lipstick and baseball bat at the ready. Danielle, Michelle, Scootaloo, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle stood in the middle while Susan, Dinky and Sparkler were in the rear.

Jack spotted the Master, still on the ground but slowly stirring. He stood over him and aimed his disruptor right at the Master's skull. “I think you'll want to be staying down, if you know what's good for you.”

The Master let out a muffled groan, but his head lowered back to the floor.

Jack looked to the Doctor. “Oh, god. It's true. You're really a pony.”

The Doctor let out a sigh and waved a hoof at him. “Hi, Jack.”

Dinky and Sparkler suddenly raced forward up to their parents. “Mommy, Daddy!” Dinky cried out.

Ditzy wrapped her forelegs around the pair. “Oh, you two had us so worried!” she cried out, rocking them back and forth. She held onto them for a minute before breaking the hug and fluttering back to stare at her daughters as best she could. “Young ladies, you two are in so much trouble!”

Sparkler's head ducked down and shew swallowed. “We're sorry, Mom,” she said. “It just sort of snowballed

Dinky spoke up. “It's my fault, Mommy. I convinced everyone to get the TARDIS working again and to fly it to the other Earth and get some of Daddy's friends together to see him again. He just looked so sad there and I didn't like it.” She slowly raised her head. “But I talked everyone into doing it, so it's my fault. Sparkler even tried to stop us.”

“Dinky!” Sparkler hissed out. “It's not all your fault, here. I could've tried harder!”

The Doctor walked up to his wife's side. “Now, now, Ditzy. It was all in good fun. They meant well and are sorry. And not only did they get back safely, but they indirectly stopped the Master, too!” He sidled up to her. “Perhaps a slap on the fetlock and a stern warning not to do this again?”

Ditzy let out a sigh. She focused both eyes on Dinky and Sparkler. “You're both grounded for a week. No crusading for you, Dinky. And you'd better be right back home after work, Sparkler. I mean it, too.”

Danielle and Michelle exchanged a glance. “They got off lucky,” Danielle remarked.

“I heard that, Danielle Wind Whistler Richards!”

Michelle snorted. “Wow, I didn't know Mom told her your full name.”

“I heard that too, Michelle Benton Richards!”

Michelle's eyes widened as Danielle rocked back on her heels. “Wow.”

The Doctor's eyes shifted as Jack, Ace and Sarah Jane walked up to him. He let out a breath. “I can't believe it,” he breathed out. “I... I never thought I'd see any of you again!” He cantered back and forth. “Not just the Brigadier, but you as well? Oh, where's Pinkie Pie to throw us a grand party?”

Ace knelt down to the Doctor's height. She held her hands out to him. “Professor, you're so... you're a pony!” She dropped her hands and shook her head. “And you're... a pony!” She belted out a laugh. “Oh, you're so adorable!” She turned back to Michelle. “Can I borrow your brush, Michelle? I'd like to give the Professor a bit of a brushing. His mane's all out of whack!”

The Doctor rolled his eyes. “Yes, Ace. And I've told you as thousand times, it's 'Doctor'!”

Ace waved him off. “Sure thing, Professor.” She held out a hand. “I'm glad you're all right.”

The Doctor placed a hoof in her hand, letting it be squeezed. “I'm glad to see you too, Ace.” He leaned to the right. “Still making the nitro-nine?”

Ace shrugged. “Well, yeah. Oh!” She reached back and slid the bat out of her backpack. “I'm keeping this!” she said, waving it about.

The Doctor rolled his eyes, but waved her off. “Oh, all right,” he groused.

Jack bit his lips, but his cheeks puffed out. He covered his mouth with his hands, but the laughter soon erupted. Tears streamed from his eyes and his entire face soon turned red. He doubled over as his entire body shook.

The Brigadier grunted. “Jack,” half-shouted.

Ditzy looked to the Doctor. “What's so funny?” she asked, scratching her forehead with her right wing.

The Doctor shrugged. “Not sure.”

Jack waved the Doctor off. “Sorry, sorry. I guess it's just finally hitting me.” He looked the Doctor and Ditzy over. “I must say, you two make a rather cute couple.” He flashed a grin at Ditzy and bowed. “The name's Jack Harkness, Miss Whooves. A pleasure to meet you.”

Ditzy's cheeks flashed red and her wings folded over her head. “Eep!”

The Doctor nickered and reared back. “Jack, stop embarrassing my wife!”

Jack held up a hand. “Sorry, sorry. Force of habit with me.” He tugged on his coat's lapels. “Still, good to see you alive and kicking.”

“Thanks,” the Doctor replied. He suddenly looked as Sarah Jane filled his view. His eyes softened. “Hello, Sarah Jane.”

Sarah Jane let out a sigh. “Oh, it really is you!” She dropped to her knees and hugged the Doctor, who returned it. “Somehow, I just knew you were alive.”


“Yeah, I figured you would. Hello, Sarah Jane,” the Doctor choked out, eyes screwed shut. He finally slipped his forelegs back and slid out of Sarah Jane's grip. He looked to Ditzy and his cheeks suddenly turned bright red. “Ditzy, this is Sarah Jane Smith. Back when I was looking a bit more Time Lord, she was m-my best friend.”

Ditzy smiled at him. She leaned in close to his ear. “I bet she still is.” She turned to Sarah Jane and stepped up to her. “Miss Smith, it's a pleasure to meet you. My name it Ditzy,” she said, extending a hoof.

Sarah Jane grabbed the proffered hoof and pumped it twice. “Same here, Miss Ditzy.” Her eyes drifted to the Doctor. “Doctor, you all right?”

There was silence from the Time Lord. He simply nodded before speaking. “Right now, it's fantastic.” He let out a sigh. “I guess it's just a bit too overwhelming, almost.” He swallowed as Susan walked up to him. “Oh, my.”

Sarah Jane, Jack and Ace stepped back as Susan dropped to her knees. Her hands clenched as they rested on her hips. She looked just past the Doctor, not quite meeting his eyes.

Ditzy looked to her husband. “Doctor, who is that?”

The Doctor blinked. “That's Susan Foreman, my dear Ditzy. That's my granddaughter.”

Ditzy gasped. “That's Susan?” She hopped about on her hooves. “Oh, she must've regenerated!” She suddenly hopped into the air and pushed the Doctor forward. “Come on, talk to her!”

The Doctor lurched forward, stumbling up to Susan. He looked her over. “You're alive,” he breathed out. “I mean I know, I set you up with Sarah Jane and used the arch on you and oh god I'm so sorry for that. I'm so sorry I used that thing on you, but if I didn't the Daleks would've gotten to you but I sort of sprung it on you and dropped you off at the orphanage, then Sarah Jane and oh god it's you it's really you...” His voice trailed off and his head dropped. “I'm so, so sorry,” he repeated.

Susan reached out to him, slowly at first. A hand lit upon his shoulder, then the other, and finally she wrapped her arms around him. “You saved me,” she said, rocking him back and forth. “You came back for me, and you saved me.” She finally leaned back and wiped a tear from his cheek. “Thank you, Grandfather. Thank you.”

The Master's head tilted up. “Oh, this is most disgusting!”

Jack looked back at him. He motioned to his shoulder holster. “No interrupting the moment,” he warned.

The Brigadier stood up, leaning on his cane. He walked around the Doctor and Susan to Jack's side. “We've been looking for him for a bit.” He looked back to the Time Lord. “Doctor, if it's all right, we'll be taking the Master back with us.”

The Doctor nodded, still in Susan's embrace.

Jack leaned forward, grabbed the Master's arm and hauled him to his feet. He shoved the Master forward. “Okay, we've got a nice jail cell waiting for you back on our Earth.”

the Master grunted. “Do you think this is the last you'll see of me? I am the Master, and you WILL OBEY ME!” he shouted, as thunder cracked and lightning flashed.

Dinky's ears flattened. “I thought we had clear skies tonight!”

The Brigadier flanked the Master as he and Jack led him out. “He has that sort of effect.” He held up his free hand and clenched it. “Come along, Master. Next time I might not hold back.”

The Master clicked his jaw to the side and rubbed his goatee. “No, you might not.” He turned back to the Doctor. “But you haven't seen the last of me!” he declared, jabbing a finger at his old enemy.

The Doctor rolled his eyes as the Brigadier and Jack 'escorted' the Master out of his kitchen. “Oh, so dramatic!”

Ace looked around the kitchen, spinning about. “Wow, this is pretty cool! A bit short for us with two legs, though. I guess that makes sense, though.” She walked up to a cupboard and opened it. “Why do the cups have handles like humans do?” She looked at her hand and waggled her fingers. “What, do you slide the entire hoof right into it?”

Ditzy floated up to her. “Our hooves are a lot more elastic than meets the eye.” She reached in, slid her hoof through the handle and pulled out a tea cup. “See? We can also hold things with them, but you're right. Human fingers are a lot more dextrous than our hooves.” She flew over to the stove and turned the gas on. “I'm going to make some tea. I have a feeling we'll be needing it.”

Sarah Jane walked over to the door leading to the first floor's storefront. “Doctor, if it's all right, could we get a tour of the house?”

The Doctor trotted up to her. “Well of course, dear Sarah Jane.” He nudged her calf with a knee joint. “Bet you never thought you'd see me all domesticated like this, eh?” He led Sarah Jane, Ace and Susan through a door and into a small room lined with shelves. He reached up and slid a light switch on the wall. “This is one of the storage rooms for my place of business.” He reached up to one of the shelves and pulled off a screwdriver with his mouth. “The ponies are rather clever,” he said, gripping the screwdriver with the side of his mouth. “There's not much of anything they can't build, given the right tools and knowledge.”

Ace poked at a few tools. “They all look exactly like what we'd use. As if they had fingers!”

The Doctor held up his hoof and pressed it into a hammer. The hoof engulfed the handle and he carefully pulled it away from the shelf. “It's a bit of a long story, Ace. I'll tell you about it later.”

The young woman placed her hands on her hips. “Promise, Professor?”

The Doctor nodded. “Promise. Just like with Omega.”

The trio moved into the storefront itself, emerging right behind the counter and cash register. Susan leaned down and looked through the glass at the wares inside. “Grandfather, how do you get all this work done between your usual running about in time and space?”

The Time Lord trotted up to his granddaughter and stared down through the glass. “Well, truth be told... I don't really run about anymore. At least not in that way, Susan.” He waved a hoof in the air, motioning to pieces still needing to be repaired, items for general sale and other odds and ends littering the corners. “The TARDIS was heavily damaged when I landed here so long ago, and I never thought I'd get her working again. So I eventually settled here in Ponyville. An old friend from an alternate Earth I had visited once before helped me get the basic repairs done. But even then...” He looked over his shoulder at the door leading to the back of the store and the kitchen.

Sarah Jane knelt down beside him and placed a hand on his back. “I never thought I'd see you settled down like this, Doctor. Even when I first met you and you stayed on to help UNIT out, you were chomping at the bit to leave.” She stopped and slapped her forehead. “Oh, sorry about that.”

The Doctor chuckled. “Oh, not a problem.” He leaned in close to her. “You'd be amazed how easily horse-themed puns come up around here. It makes one doubt one's stability!”

Sarah Jane, Susan and Ace all groaned at that. “Professor!” Ace said, throwing her hands up into the air.

A sudden knocking at the front door caught everyone's attention. The Doctor trotted around the counter and up to the door, quickly spotting Applejack, Rarity, Scootaloo's father Thunderlane, a half-asleep Twilight Sparkle, and standing behind them, Megan and Mike. The Doctor opened the door and stared at the group. “Can I... help you?”

Applejack spoke up. “Beggin' yer pardon, Doc, but I was checkin' on that foals and kids at the treehouse fer their sleepover, and they're all gone!” She poked at Twilight, who was leaning on Rarity. “We had Twilight teleport Mike and Megan over tah help with tha search.”

The Doctor's eyes shifted left to right and he let out a chuckle. “Oh, well... hehehe. Fancy you're here asking about that.”

Sarah Jane speed-walked to the door. “The children are all right. Terribly sorry for the worry about it. They just went on a bit of an adventure.” She shrugged, throwing her hands up into the air. “You know how kids can get, right?”

Applejack, Rarity and Thunderlane all exchanged a knowing look. “All too well,” Rarity said.

Megan's right eyebrow quirked up at Sarah Jane. “Excuse me, I don't mean to be rude, but... where did you come from?”

Mike motioned to Ace and Susan, who were making their way to the front of the store. “I don't recall them going across the Rainbow Bridge this afternoon, either.”

Sarah Jane blinked. “I'm sorry? Rainbow Bridge?”

The Doctor suddenly reared up on his hind legs and threw his forelegs up. “Wait, wait! Let me explain this so there's no misunderstanding!” He dropped back to all fours and adjusted his bow tie. “Missus Richards, my dear friend Sarah Jane Smith and the others are from another Earth. Not the one you and Mike are from.” He scratched his forehead. “It's a bit hard to explain, but they're all right!”

Mike looked away for a second before snapping his fingers. “Oh, wait. That's like an old episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, where one of the characters leaped from ship to ship, crossing realities.”

The Doctor blinked. “Yes, exactly like that. Good show, Mike. Very good show.”

Megan extended a hand to Sarah Jane. “Sorry about that. There's a hole in space in our backyard that leads from our Earth right here to Equestria. My name's Megan Richards, Miss Smith.”

Sarah Jane accepted Megan's hand and shook it. “Not a problem, Megan. Never can be too careful.”

“Want me to go collect the kids?” Ace asked. “I'm guessing their sleepover's over.”

Mike shrugged. “Well, what did they do exactly?”

Susan flashed him a smile. “Oh, they managed to get Grandfather's time machine working, crossed through the veil separating realities and landed on our Earth, then we flew back here for a reunion.”

Megan blinked, then shrugged. “Well, that's a little out there for them, but I can see them doing that.” Her eyes narrowed. “Wait, who's your grandfather?”

Susan knelt down and wrapped her right arm around the Doctor's neck in a hug. “Oh, the Doctor is! It's been so long since I've seen him, too. I'm so grateful to see him again.”

The Doctor merely leaned into the hug, smiling and blushing.

Rarity's right eye twitched. “He is... your grandfather?”

Megan's eyes darted from Susan to the Doctor before nodding. “I think I see a bit of family resemblance, there,” she said, winking.

Applejack looked up at the night sky, puckering her lips in thought. “Well, iffn' that kids are all right, I reckon we can jus' leave 'em be.” She looked around at the others standing around her. “That all right?” At their nods of assent she locked eyes with the Doctor. “Just tell 'em tah git right home tomorrow mornin', yah hear?”

The Doctor nodded. “I will, Applejack.”

Ace pointed to Twilight, who was now leaning against a sweating Thunderlane and snoring lightly. “Hey, she all right?”

Rarity swallowed and scratched the back of her head. “The poor dear was fast asleep when we woke her up to teleport Mike and Megan to Ponyville.” She gently poked Twilight with a hoof. “Twilight, darling, are you awake?”

Twilight suddenly toppled over onto her back, her legs sticking into the air. Her eyes screwed shut and loud snores came from her.

Mike dropped to one knee and scooped up Twilight into his arms. He draped the sleeping unicorn over his shoulder, cradling her in his arms. “Thanks, Doctor. We'll be going now.” He looked to the still-snoring Twilight. “I hope.”

The Doctor, Susan, Ace and Sarah Jane watched as the group walked off, Applejack tipping her hat to them before leaving. The Doctor slid out of Susan's embrace and turned away from the door. “Well, I think the tea Ditzy put on should be ready.”


Sarah Jane took a sip of tea and munched on a biscuit. “I figured there was a good story going on,” she said, sitting on the floor in the Whooves' living room. While Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Applebloom, Dinky, Sparkler and Michelle were fast asleep, Sarah Jane, the Doctor, Ditzy, Ace, Susan, Jack, the Brigadier and Danielle were in the living room, drinking, eating and sharing memories.

Danielle, leaning against the back of the couch, shook her head. “You impersonated your aunt and snuck into some top-secret military installation for a news story?”

Sarah Jane looked up at the younger girl. “Well, I was young, impulsive and probably not thinking things through all the way.” She looked to the Doctor, sitting with Ditzy on a loveseat. “The Doctor picked up on it quickly, though.”

The Doctor chuckled as everyone waited on him. “Well, I had read a paper that her aunt, Lavinia Smith, had written on viruses. I realized if the young girl standing before me actually had written it, she'd have done it when she was about five.”

A chorus of groans echoed out as Sarah Jane shrank slightly. “Well, to be fair, he was the only one to question it,” she protested.

Danielle looked to Jack, standing in the doorway. “What about you, Jack? When did you first meet the Doctor”

Jack took a swig from a canteen he had pulled from one of his coat's internal pockets. “Battle of Britain.” His gaze took on a faraway look. “What a view.”

“Jack!”

Ace snorted. “Just like always.” She looked to the Doctor from the couch. “Professor, I don't mean to bring the mood down any, but I've got to ask. What next?”

The Brigadier, sitting next to her, shifted about to look at her. “Ace?”

Ace paused as everyone focused their attention on her. “Well, this is all fun and great, but we can't stay here forever. And you, well look at all this.” She pointed all about the room. “You can't leave this. You've got a family and life here.”

Susan's jaw quavered for a bit. “Grandfather, the TARDIS. It works now.” She dropped to her knees beside the loveseat. “You could visit, at least.” She reached out and gently grabbed his foreleg. “I just found you, again.”

The Doctor locked eyes with Susan before turning to Ditzy. He opened his mouth, but a mild thud shook the house, rattling the furniture and even sending a few bits of drywall falling from the ceiling.

Danielle stood up. “Okay, what the hell was that?”

Jack pulled out his disruptor and thumbed it on. “I'm guessing Ponyville doesn't do midnight blasting?”

Danielle shrugged and stepped closer to him. “Depends if Pinkie Pie's on a sugar high or not. But normally? No.”

The Doctor slid out of his wife's embrace and landed on the floor. “Jack, Brigadier, where did you stick the Master in the TARDIS?” he asked, a sonic screwdriver suddenly strapped to his foreleg.

The Brigadier stood up with assistance from Ace. “The Zero Room... I think.” He turned and looked at Jack. “Was that where we stuck him?”

The Doctor groaned before galloping through the door, squeezing past Jack. “Oh, no no no no!”

The rest followed the Doctor out through the kitchen and into the backyard, stopping at the beginning of the stone path that led to the TARDIS. The Master stood in front of the big blue box, a maniacal grin on his face and an odd object clutched in his hands. His eyes danced with an inner fire. “Stay back!” he cried out, thrusting the object forward. “I'll use it!”

Danielle's upper lip curled and her right eye widened. “Okay, I know I'm not exactly up to date on everything,” she said, thrusting her hand forward, “but isn't that an egg beater?!”

The Doctor's eyes narrowed. “Oh, it is!”

Danielle slowly nodded. “Is it some sort of super-science egg beater from Gallifrey that can, I don't know, blend time and space together?”

The Doctor slowly shook his head. “No... it's an egg beater. I got it from Julia Child. Sentimental value, but that's about it.”

Ditzy let out a small gasp. “Oh, I recognize that one!” She lightly punched him in the shoulder. “Why didn't you tell me that? I always wondered why you didn't like me using it.”

The Doctor winced slightly. “Sorry, sorry.”

Ace pulled her bat out from her backpack and swung it around. “Okay, wanna do this the hard way," she then reached back and slid a canister of nitro-9 from behind and held it up, "or the easy way?”

The Brigadier raised his arm and clenched his fist, his glove creaking. “Easy, hopefully.”

The Doctor stepped forward, turned and raised a foreleg. “Ace, Jack, everyone. Please, give me one chance to talk him down. All right? If he doesn't back down, then fine. But one chance, all right?”

Ace glanced between the Doctor and the Master. Her grip on the bat tightened until her knuckles cracked, but she lowered it. “He hurts you in any way, Professor, he's dead.”

Jack also lowered his sonic disruptor. “Same here, Doctor.”

The Doctor smiled to them. “Fair enough.” He stepped forward and gave Ditzy a quick kiss and nuzzle before spinning around and trotting up to the rogue Time Lord. “All right, Master. What is it this time? What do you want?”

The Master giggled. “What do I want? I want this farce to end, Doctor!” He brandished the egg beater. “Here, at home with a wife, two kids and this stupid, sickening simulacrum of a happy domestic life. Bah! This isn't you, Doctor. And we both know it!”

The Doctor shrugged. “Well, you don't know me as well as you used to, old boy. This is me, now. This is Thirteen, this is near the end of the line. Everything changes, Master. I've changed a lot, and here I am. I'm not even bipedal, anymore!”

The Master snorted. “But you are still the Doctor, the Lonely God, Theta Sigma, the man who runs and never stops.” His lips curled up in a sneer. “So run and run some more, Doctor. And I shall give chase!”

The pony reared back and stomped the ground. “Oh, that's it! That damned well does it!” He cantered back and forth, ears flaring. “Wanna have a go, like the old days? Too bad!” He stopped in midstride and advanced upon the Master. “I've got a PTA meeting on Tuesday with Cheerilee. Wednesday is the weekly calibration of the clock in City Hall. I've got orders to fulfill on Thursday and Friday. I am running, Master. I'm running to work, running to my house and running to my wife and kids.” He stopped in front of the Master, reared back and planted his front hooves on the Master's waist. “You see, this is it for me, old chum. I've run out of running! I'm... I'm tired.” He dropped back to all fours and hung his head. “I'm tired of running from this world to that. I think this is what happens when you hit Thirteen. I'm old, Master. And I'm through with you.” He raised his head, his mane stirring slightly. “It's over.”

Ditzy and Susan raced to the Doctor's side, wrapping a wing and arm around him respectively. “Oh, Doctor,” Ditzy said, leaning into him.

The Doctor returned Ditzy's nuzzle, then leaned into Susan's hug. “Thank you,” he whispered.

The Master poked the egg beater forward a few times before dropping it to the asphalt. “This – this isn't right!” he screamed. “You can't stop running! What a-about what about-”

“What about you?” Danielle interrupted. “It's not about the Doctor. It's about you. I don't know that much about you, but how long have you been the Doctor's adversary? How long have you defined yourself against him?”

The Master stared daggers at Danielle. “I will not be lectured to by some human child!”

Danielle crossed her arms. “You just were.”

The Doctor gently nudged Ditzy and Susan off of him. “Master... Koschei. The chase is over. The running's stopped. You don't have to do this anymore!” He tapped the side of his head. “The drums are gone, right? Rassilon wronged you. He used you, but you don't have to be like that anymore!” He extended a hoof. “I know how hard it is, but please. I stopped running. You can stop, too.”

The Master dropped to one knee. He looked at the Doctor, as if seeing him for the first time. He grabbed a fistful of hair. “The drumming's gone, but the echo's still there. I don't know if I can. I've been doing this sort of thing for so long.”

The Doctor leaned forward, hesitating for a bit before patting the Master on the shin. “You can do it. I know you can.”

The Master looked up as a trio of shadows fell on him. “Ah, Miss McShane, Mister Harkness and the Brigadier.” He slowly rose to his feet and held out his arms. “I surrender. And no tricks, either.”

Ace and Jack stood by him as he spun around. “I'm not sure what I can say about what'll happen to him,” the Brigadier said, sighing.

The Doctor nodded as Ace and Jack escorted him to the TARDIS. “I ask simply that you try to get him to Romana. Last time I was back on our Earth she was trying to get to House to get all those hypercubes left there.”

The Brigadier smiled. “Nyssa helped get them. But she hasn't been able to reconstitute anyone. At least not yet.” He held up a hand. “I'll try to get him to her, but I can't guarantee anything.”

The Doctor's ears flattened. “Oh, good girl, that Nyssa!” He extended a foreleg to the Brigadier, who took it. “Thank you, old friend. I know you'll do your best.”

The Brigadier raised his cane in a salute before walking to the TARDIS and inside it.

Sarah Jane and Danielle walked over to the Doctor. “Party over?” Danielle asked.

The Doctor let out a weary sigh. “I'm afraid so, Danielle. They've got the get the Master back to their Earth. I've got to set the Master's TARDIS to autopilot to follow us back.” He looked up at the clear night sky and the stars. “And it's getting late. Danielle, thank you.”

Danielle blinked. “For what?”

The Doctor smiled. “For helping Dinky with all of this. When we get back, could I see your phone, please?"

Danielle pulled her smartphone out. She glanced to it before looking back at the Doctor. "Sure, but why?"

”I think it could use a bit of Time Lord technology to boost the signal," he replied. "So you can keep in contact with Earth and your family all the time." He eyed her. “You know, if I was a bit younger, you'd make a pretty good companion. Flying all about, getting into scrapes and running. Oh, the running!”

Danielle beamed. “Thanks, Doc.” She jabbed her thumb over her shoulder at the house. “If it's all right, I'm gonna check on everyone else. All right?”

Ditzy flew up to her and hugged her. “Oh, thank you, Danielle!”

Danielle returned the hug. “You're welcome, Ditzy.” She waited for Ditzy to let go before turning and walking to the house. She stopped right before the door and turned back. “Hey, Susan?”

Susan looked over. “Yes?”

Danielle waved to her. “Don't be a stranger,” she said before disappearing inside.

The Doctor looked to the Master's TARDIS. “I'll be just a moment.”

Susan, Ditzy and Sarah Jane watched him walk to the 'garden shed'. Susan let out a sigh. “I just found him again, and now I'm losing him again.”

Ditzy's expression fell. She patted Susan on the shin. “If I know the Doctor, and trust me, I know him, this won’t be the last time you see each other. He's never missed any of Dinky or Sparkler's important events.”

Sarah Jane rocked back and forth on her heels. “You know, Ditzy, I don't think I've seen the Doctor happier than with you. You're his best friend.”

Ditzy shook her head, her blond mane whipping back and forth. “Oh, but you are too, Sarah Jane. You met Twilight Sparkle earlier, right? Well she's got six best friends.” She patted her chest. “I'm his best friend,” then pointed to Sarah Jane, “but so are you!”

“Quite right!” the Doctor said, startling the three. “Oh, sorry. Well, ready?”

Susan swallowed. She stepped up to the Doctor. “Grandfather, is this the last time we see each other?”

The Doctor stared at her for a moment before shaking his head. “No. I swear on my hearts, it won't be.”

Susan reached forward, hugging him once more. “Thank you,” she said between the tears.

The Doctor's body shuddered. “Thank you.”


The TARDIS' shuddering stopped. The Doctor, leaning on one of the consoles, looked up at a screen and barked a laugh. “Hah, hah! Right back in good old Sarah Jane's attic, precisely the same amount of time passing here as on Equestria!” He rubbed the console. “Oh, good girl! Good girl!”

Sarah Jane looked to Ditzy. “He still does this?”

Ditzy flapped her wings. “I've caught him a few times alone in here, rubbing the console. It's weird.”

Ace, standing across from the Doctor, nodded in agreement.

The TARDIS doors opened. Jack and the Brigadier, flanking the Master, walked around the central console, stopping at the Doctor. Jack straightened up and saluted. “Doctor, a pleasure as always. Next time, I'll bring some oats and hay.”

The Doctor groaned. “Jack!”

Jack blinked. “Good to see you again, Doctor. Until next time?”

“Until next time.”

The Master rolled his eyes. “I thought I was the purveyor of bad puns, not you.” He looked to the Doctor, wavering slightly. “I make no promises, but I will try.”

The Doctor nodded. “That's all I can really ask of you. Good luck.” He turned to the Brigadier, straightened up and brought his foreleg to heir forehead in a salute. “Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, champion of Earth.”

The Brigadier returned the salute. “Well, I do try.” He turned, but stopped. “Doctor, is this it for us?”

The Doctor waved him off. “Oh, of course not, old boy! I'll see you, Doris and Kate again. Mark my words on that!”

The Brigadier leaned down on his cane and reached out to the Doctor. “Good. It's been a bit too dull around here without you.” He looked around at everyone, bowing his head before he and Jack walked the Master out.

Ace walked over. She rolled her eyes and rocked back on her heels. “Oh, I never was good at goodbyes, Professor.” She leaned down, hands on her hips to stop from tumbling over. “So, bye?”

The Doctor nodded. “Bye, but only for now.” He jabbed a foreleg at her. “Stay out of trouble, you hear?”

Ace's brow wrinkled. “Of course, Professor. I always do what I'm told.” A wicked grin formed on her mouth as she reached out and patted him on the head, stroking his mane lightly. “See you around, Professor.”

Sarah Jane stepped over. She dropped to her knees and hugged the Doctor. “Oh, I'm so glad you're not lonely anymore. I'm so glad you're so happy!” She broke the hug and stood back up. “Just come around here again, all right?”

The Doctor nodded. “I will.”

Sarah Jane walked to the door, but stopped and looked back. “Don't you forget me,” she half-whispered.

The Doctor's eyes watered. “Don't you forget me,” he choked out.

Susan swallowed and clasped her hands together. “Grandfather?”

The Doctor closed his eyes for a second before opening them, seeing Susan standing before him. “I'm so proud of you,” he finally said.

Susan's lips wrinkled before finally forming a smile. “Thank you, Grandfather. I'm so glad you're all right. But is this it? Tell the truth.”

The Doctor smiled. “I'll come back. We'll see each other again.”

Susan wiped her eyes. She leaned over, kissed her grandfather on the forehead and then ran out. She stopped and spun around. “I love you!” she shouted.

“I love you, too,” the Doctor whispered before the doors closed. And with that, he turned to the control console and flipped a switch. The central column began moving up and down. He stared at the column for a minute or two. “Ditzy, I think I really am getting old.”

Ditzy walked to the Doctor, simply standing beside him. “Doctor, will you be able to come back?”

The Doctor opened his mouth, but paused. He tilted his head to the side and his right ear twitched. “The ride's a bit smooth,” he muttered before dashing off to the opposite side of the central console.

Ditzy's eyes spun about as the Doctor galloped about, pressing buttons and sliding levers about. “Doctor, what is it?”

The Doctor looked at a screen. “It's a tunnel,” he said. His mouth stretched into a wide grin. “Following the same flight path, it's like treading over a carpet. As long as just the space engines are engaged –“ He suddenly ran around back to Ditzy, scooping her up with his forelegs and spinning her about. “Ditzy, my dear Ditzy Doo!” he said, between kissing her.

Ditzy laughed as she returned the kisses. “Yes, my dear Doctor?”

The Doctor set her down, grinning maniacally. “We're taking two weeks off this Hearth's Warming, right?”

“Right!”

He looked up at a screen showing a small image of the TARDIS and a long tunnel of energy connecting two planets. “How would you like for the family to spend a week at 13 Bannerman Road, in London, England? To see some of my friends and family?”

Ditzy focused both of her amber eyes on the Doctor. She stepped forward and leaned over to his left ear. “I'd say there's only one word for that.”

The Doctor grunted and blushed. “And that would be?”

Ditzy leaned back once more to look him in the eyes. “Fantastic!”

And the story goes on... forever.

Author's Note:

1. A huge thank you to everyone at the Spacebattles thread for their help with this. This would not be half as good as it is without their help.

2. For the record, I have not really delved into the non-television product of Doctor Who. So for me, Romana was in E-space during the Last Great Time War and not President of Gallifrey, Susan's fate was unknown, so on and so forth.

3. This is dedicated to William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith, John Hurt, Peter Capaldi, Carole Ann Ford, Jacqueline Hill, William Russell, Elisabeth Sladen, Nicholas Courtney.. oh, buck it. Go here. Almost everyone!

4. With one exception. Michael grade. And trust me. He more than deserves it.

5. As of 10/8/2013, I've added a bit about the Doc fixing Danielle's phone like he did for Rose Tyler.