• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 11,318 Views, 297 Comments

Side Stories of Hasbroverse Earth - RK_Striker_JK_5



Anthology series detailing Equestria and Earth's encounters and the culture shock therein.

  • ...
17
 297
 11,318

Reflections

Author's Note:

1. this takes place at some time in the future, unspecified.

2. Blueblood is still a prince, just as Shining Armor is still a captain of the Equestrian armed forces.

Pony Joe barely glanced up as the door chime rang. "Usual?" he asked, as Captain Blueblood trotted over to the counter and sat down.

Blueblood slowly levitated his mud-spattered helmet off and placed it on the seat next to him. It was the hour before the lunch rush, which was why he made sure morning drills were done by then. "The usual," he said, trying and failing to wipe clean his muzzle. He smiled as a pot of black coffee and a cup was placed in front of him, along with a plate of donuts.

The door chime rang again. Pony Joe glanced up, but stopped, eyes wide. "P-Prince Armor?"

Blueblood's eyes widened slightly as Prince Shining Armor sat next to him. "Come on, Joe," Shining Armor said, smiling. "It's just Shiny. No 'your majesty' or any horse apples like that."

Pony Joe blushed slightly. "Sorry, Shiny. It's just... been a while since you were last in here." He rubbed his chin. "What was your usual, again?"

Shining Armor looked to Blueblood. "That," he said, pointing at the pot of coffee and plate of donuts. "How's it going, Blueblood?" He glanced at the ceiling. "If I remember correctly, morning drills should be done by now."

Blueblood nodded. He poured himself a steaming cup of coffee and downed it in one gulp. "Ooh, that hit the spot," he said, before looking to Shining Armor. "Indeed, Prince Armor. We've got a new batch of raw recruits who think they're Royal Guard material, although the drill instructors are shouting about how they should just be sent to regular infantry."

Shining Armor half-smiled. "Same old, same old, then."

There was a pause. "Well, Boot-Kicker retired," Blueblood said, taking a sip of coffee.

Shining Armor gasped. "What? No, way! I thought they'd have to drag him out of there hooves-first."

Pony Joe placed another pot of coffee and plate of donuts in front of Shining Armor. "There's more for the both of you," he said.

Blueblood nodded to him. "Thank you, sir." He floated a donut up and took a bit of it. "So, what brings you and Cadance down here from the Crystal Empire?" he asked between bites.

Shining Armor sighed. "Well, it's another summit and diplomatic thing. Although I think Cadance just wanted a paid vacation or something. Flurry Heart is sure enjoying it."

Blueblood smiled. "And how is the little scamp?"

Shining Armor's eyes watered. "Not so little anymore. She just had a birthday. She's growing up so fast!" He floated a napkin up to his muzzle and blew.

Blueblood eyed him. "Yes, how wonderful."

Shining Armor finished, then tossed the napkin away. "What about you, Blueblood? Any mares or stallions catching your eye?"

Blueblood shook his head. "No, no. I'm pretty much wedded to the Royal Guard, nowadays. No time for dalliances or anything even approaching a serious relationship. Too much to do!"

Shining Armor slowly nodded. "I remember that feeling all too well."

The two ate and drank in companionable silence for some time. After their plates had been emptied and coffee pots drained, Blueblood pulled his wallet out and opened it. "I'll pay for the both of us," he said, floating out a card.

Shining Armor shook his head. "No, no. I'll take the bill. I insist. I am the prince, after all. Consider it to be a royal edict or something."

Blueblood nickered. "Very well.... " He half-smiled. "Prince Armor."

After a few minutes, the two stallions left Pony Joe's. Blueblood checked his fobwatch. "Time to get back to Fort Bulwark." He stepped back and bowed to Shining Armor. "Good to see you again." With that, he turned and started trotting off.

Shining Armor hesitated for a moment before speaking. "He, Bluey?" he half-shouted, surprising himself by using that old nickname. "Will you be here tomorrow, around this time?"

Blueblood stopped and turned around. "Yes, why?"

Shining Armor smiled. "I will, too. See you then?"

Blueblood smiled, widely and genuinely. "Definitely. I look forward to it."

The two straightened up and bowed to each other.

"It was good seeing you again, Captain."

"It was good seeing you again, Prince."