• Published 29th Oct 2017
  • 847 Views, 16 Comments

Journal of Occasional Nonsensicality - Acryliks



Ponies usually don't make sense. And yet here I am, trying to make friends with them. Surprising? Mayhaps...

  • ...
1
 16
 847

Fluff

"Hey, can you grow a beard?"

"Can I grow a beard?"

"Yeah, you know? Facial hair."

"No, I'm familiar with the concept. Uh... not really. I can grow a bit of fluff, but... actually, you know what? I've never tried growing a beard!" I thought aloud.

"Oh? Why not?" Vinyl asked me. I lowered the document that I was holding, bringing a hand up to my chin in contemplation.

"Eh, the thought of having facial hair never really appealed to me. I don't really want to find out what I look like with a beard. I shave pretty much every other day to keep it clean," I told my friend. Vinyl took a long sip from her coffee before placing it down on the coffee table.

"Really? I don't know, I kinda want to see you with some stubble now," she told me.

"Ha! That makes one of us. It's just... even when I have that little bit of hair, I hate how it feels. It just feels... messy, or wrong, in a way. I like to keep my face smooth. I even keep my sideburns clean, too."

"Yeah, I can understand the clean part of that."

We were interrupted by the sound of the door opening, Octavia coming in with her saddlebags bulging with what I assume were groceries.

"Hello you two! What are we discussing today?" she asked as she made her way to the kitchen.

"We're talking about facial hair," Vinyl told her.

"Ooo, truly a riveting conversation. What about it?" Octavia questioned us as she disappeared out of the room.

"Vinyl was interrogating me about growing a beard. I don't want to," I called out.

"...ah, yes, I see. Why don't you want to, if you don't mind me asking?" she responded as she poked her head back into the room.

"It just feels messy to have facial hair. That, and I've never actually tried to grow anything intentionally. It's gotten relatively long in the past by accident. You know, like when I don't have access to a razor... but other than that I just can't see a reason to want a beard," I mused.

"I'd grow a beard if I could," Vinyl stated. Octavia and I both stared at her. She glanced between us, her face unchanging.

"What? You expect me to be ashamed? Nope. I meant what I said and said what I meant," she told us.

The conversation ended there, and I'm glad that it did.

Author's Note:

Woah, hey guys. Welcome to Acryliks' page!

This was a short and quick chapter to get me back into things.

Thanks for reading!