• Published 29th Oct 2017
  • 847 Views, 16 Comments

Journal of Occasional Nonsensicality - Acryliks



Ponies usually don't make sense. And yet here I am, trying to make friends with them. Surprising? Mayhaps...

  • ...
1
 16
 847

Hearts and Hooves Day

“Wait a second... isn’t it Heart’s and Hooves Day?” I asked out loud as I swallowed the last bite of my first glazed donut.

“...I guess so, yeah. Do you have a special somepony?” Vinyl asked me. She picked up her iced coffee and took a long sip.

“No, not yet. I guess it’s a little late for that anyway,” I spoke thoughtfully, taking out my second donut from the bag it was in.

“Well, I guess you and I are in the same boat then,” she mused while setting down her drink.

“What about you? No one in your life?” I asked, trying not to sound like I was suggesting anything.

“Me? Well... not really. I mean, there’s this one colt, but he doesn’t really like me in that way, you know?” she told me. This surprised me. Vinyl was always moving so fast that it was interesting to see her talking about something so down-to-earth.

“Aw, well you never know, something could change anytime,” I told her. She smiled.

“Yeah, I guess so. At the same time, I don’t really care either way. Relationships are complicated, and messy. They aren’t always fun,” she laughed to herself. I chuckled along with her.

“I know where you’re coming from. Sometimes I tell myself that I just don’t want a relationship. Too much hassle. It’s a bit cynical, but... eh, whatever,” I thought aloud, biting into my second donut.

“Someday if the right person comes along then... maybe I’ll give it a real chance, but right now? At the height of my career? It would probably just slow me down,” she said, almost proudly. I nodded, sitting back in my chair and sighing loudly. Vinyl did the same, glancing to me.

We stared at each other.

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...we’re both aware that we’re saying these things to make ourselves feel better about being alone on Hearts and Hooves Day, right?” I asked.

“...I mean... I didn’t want to say it, but... yeah, pretty much,” she responded. I smiled warmly.

“I’m glad I have a friend like you, Vinyl,” I told her. She smiled.

“Me too man. Happy platonic Hearts and Hooves Day.”